• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan X

Banned
This is a good time to show this new T.I. video that was released a few days ago, he re-creates the Police killings With Black Officers & White Victims and included the strong message at the end that I originally saw on TV. Ultimately, it drives the point clear and strong that there is a massive problem and it got to stop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcw35_saLY

It's sickening. Everything that has been happening and seems to be getting worse needs to stop. Rally and unite, America. Everyone got to push for change.

Farewell

What? Did the police officer really say:
"He looks like a bad dude to be honest with you".

And shoot the man for no goddamn reason.

I'm done, here in germany this kind of bullshit would never happen.
Is it because many people in america own a gun that police officers do shit like this? Or just because he is black? I don't get it.

I'm done, here in germany this kind of bullshit would never happen.
Is it because many people in america own a gun that police officers do shit like this? Or just because he is black? I don't get it.

It's both. People feel powerful with guns and simultaneously there are many that wield them that don't know how to use them. Also, police and Americans in general have a bias toward black criminality. Young black children are seen as mature, older adults and bigger black men and women are perceived as dangerous.

IbukiLordSA

I really hope this person gets sent to jail for life.

In SA this is illegal, police officers cannot open fire on anyone unless they are shot at first. America's police systems seems so messed up from an outside viewpoint as all you ever see is news like this and wonder why nothing is being done or laws being implemented to stop stupid stuff like this.

Yep they only see what they want to see. Its kinda crazy at this point. Like do they need to be in that space and time physically to understand and gather what has transpired. I just don't get it anymore.
It's the old excuse we hear constantly when we see clear video of police misconduct: "the video doesn't tell the whole story". Like, don't believe your lying fucking eyes, you didn't really see what you saw on the video.
Do these guys ever get punished for what they do? It seems like they always get payed leave and are set free.
They get coddled.

benjipwns

Banned
There are some instances where initial video is not as clear as later videos. But I think people should automatically assume a person is saying "based on available evidence [their view]" rather than trying to kick the can "until all the facts" and hope people forget in the meantime. Or that there's a missing 25 minute massacre by the "suspect" beforehand.

Though generally later videos don't seem to be less damning. Especially if they're being "withheld due to the investigation."

Zaph

Why does the police video sound like a scared 12 year old screaming "Shots fired!"?

The entire situation couldn't have been more calm, safe and secure for the police. If you're that scared you have no business being in law enforcement.

Seriously, even if they can't solve the racism problem, if there was just a police test to weed out cowards, America would suddenly become a much safer place for black people to live their lives.

Brinbe

Good to see the worldwide media attention on this. Wholly unacceptable. And maybe people will finally start to pay attention to the injustices people face and fear on a daily basis.

Why does the police video sound like a scared 12 year old screaming "Shots fired!"?

The entire situation couldn't have been more calm, safe and secure for the police. If you're that scared you have no business being in law enforcement.

Seriously, even if they can't solve the racism problem, if there was just a police test to weed out cowards, America would suddenly become a much safer place for black people to live their lives.
Because she knew she fucked up.

Two Words

According to the helicopter footage, it looks like he was trying to open the door. Even so, taking him would have been the appropriate action if that were the case.

Watching this on the news at work.

Coworker says 'Police kill more whites than blacks.'

I try and explain about how high it is as a percentage of population.

Another coworker chimes in 'Eighty percent of black people are criminals anyway'.

Room full of laughter.

I work for the police department.

benjipwns

Banned
Did you file a complaint with your union representative about the hostile anti-cop workplace?

I know a good attorney if you need one: Larry Klayman.

Infinite

Another coworker chimes in 'Eighty percent of black people are criminals anyway'.

Room full of laughter.

💀

Mark L

Room full of laughter.

Welp.

Curufinwe

Police officers whose first reaction when seeing people is that they're going to pull a gun on them no matter how unlikely the situation aren't fit for the force and should retire and find a new profession that doesn't risk their prejudice resulting in the loss of life.

Definitely.

Brinbe

Room full of laughter.

Where do you live? Just so I know never to go there.

Room full of laughter.

i'd be fired

I can't bring myself to watch that video; I'm so sick of this. I don't see anything happening to change things. There will prob. be violence, but that will only make things worse. Sigh.

Brinbe

Tennessee. You would not believe the things I hear cops say on a daily basis. The culture is completely toxic.

Seriously, thank you for sharing your experience. That's a horrible work environment and sadly, it's probably similar to other PDs all over America.

And people still defend this institutionalized and racist gang? smfh... Been reading the comments on various news sites this morning and the usual defense force is nowhere in sight.

PopeReal

Room full of laughter.

Say what?

Room full of laughter.

Well... there you go right there.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Room full of laughter.

Wooooooooow.

Farewell

Room full of laughter.

Wow..don't know what to say.

The Kree

Banned

Room full of laughter.

You should quit.

Dryk

So Benton even in the scenario where your coworker's statistics are correct, do they realise that due process exists?

I really hope this person gets sent to jail for life.

In SA this is illegal, police officers cannot open fire on anyone unless they are shot at first. America's police systems seems so messed up from an outside viewpoint as all you ever see is news like this and wonder why nothing is being done or laws being implemented to stop stupid stuff like this.
One of the most telling things about how fucked up the US police are is that they will reach for their guns at the slightest provocation, sit there pointing them at people and that's just seen as normal instead of the massive breach of gun safety that it is. You know... like it is in most other, more sensible countries.

Seriously, thank you for sharing your experience. That's a horrible work environment and sadly, it's probably similar to other PDs all over America.

And people still defend this institutionalized and racist gang? smfh... Been reading the comments on various news sites this morning and the usual defense force is nowhere in sight.

When it's obvious they are in the wrong the 'wait and see' jackasses come out of the woodwork.

Say what?

Well... there you go right there.

Wooooooooow.

Wow..don't know what to say.

It's really pretty tame compared to comments about cameras 'malfunctioning', mics being 10-7, neighbors getting a little too dark. That's just the racist things said about black people. Powerful misogyny too. They call our Dispatch Center the 'Hen House'.

And my sister wants me to move there..fuck that..
It can be beautiful here, but the redneck culture is in full force.

You should quit.

I'm trying.

kinggroin

Banned

Room full of laughter.

Which police department?

Im so upset by this video I could barely sleep last night. I recommend Black folk quit watching these videos, we already know what the deal is & were not the ones who need convincing about the issue. Just seeing people who look like our aunt, cousin, or uncle be shot & bleed out on camera is traumatic as fuck and we dont need that in our heads goddamit.
I know its difficult cause these damn videos autoplay on twitter, but I will not subject myself to these images of our people being callously shot.

As a Black man I have a couple of immediate thoughts.

I need to fix my coolant leak before I end up on the side of the road being tased and shot by cops.

While these tensions grow stronger, what kind of world will my black child grow up in? I can't see this happening for 15-20 more years w/o some sort of violent repercussions.

Room full of laughter.

Pretty much a Friday night around my wife's family

As a Black man I have a couple of immediate thoughts.

I need to fix my coolant leak before I end up on the side of the road being tased and shot by cops.

While these tensions grow stronger, what kind of world will my black child grow up in? I can't see this happening for 15-20 more years w/o some sort of violent repercussions.

If things aren't changed for the better by then it will be time for it.

Edit: I also echo the request that Benton Quest record the racist conversations that he overhears. Then if you can get a job in a different area anonomously release the recordings to someone like the Intercept.

Room full of laughter.

This sounds a lot like what one of my cop friends heard who is now retired from the State Police in Georgia.

I swear some people I've read comments from on this think it's a crime to want to hold cops responsible for their actions. They act like a bunch of whining babies about it.

Room full of laughter.

Well at least we can confirm that they really think we're all bad guys.

Room full of laughter.

Sounds like roomful of Nazis & lynchers in waiting.

Room full of laughter.

And we're done. God bless 'Murica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom