• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter PS2 Port Impressions

Sho Nuff

Banned
"You do it right, or you don't do it at all."

I would like to extend a big middle finger to Sega for fucking up yet another Sega Ages 2500 game. VF2 is listed as being 100% complete, so I assume I played the final version at the TGS today.

Gameplay:
Dead on, as far as I can tell. Natch with the sound. I saw Arcade Mode, no Versus Mode, and options.

Graphics:
BOOOOO. Background textures have been downsampled -- DOWNSAMPLED FROM A FUCKING 8 YEAR OLD GAME -- and if that's not bad enough, THEY'RE NOT EVEN ALIGNED CORRECTLY ON THE GODDAMN MODELS. (Look at the first stage -- you know those neat temple thingies in the background? Yeah, they're in 3D, but their textures are clearly, visibly OFF-CENTER in the PS2 version.)

Frame rate: 60, or 57.8, or whatever weirdo speed the arcade one ran at. I did not notice any frame drops and it looked like a solid 60fps with no slowdown (I used to work in video design and compression, BELIEVE ME, I CAN TELL).

Disclaimer: I own a Virtua Fighter 2 arcade machine, which is on in the other room right now.

I think there's a flicker filter, but certainly no FSAA. This isn't an Xbox game.

Anyway, it's 90% there, but the attention to detail in the conversion is nothing but pure slop. Sega needs to stop farming out their classics to college students.

XS+

Banned
So they were just admitting any old Tom/Dick/Harry on Press Day? I thought Friday's show was restricted to the public.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I just intercepted this IM chat log from Sega:

---

TAKU5955 says:
hey yoshi when r u gonna align the textures

YoShI! says:
l8r, i have tickets 2 see biohazard 2 apocolipse its gonna be kewl

TAKU5955 says:
ok whatever, btw if you keep tapping down on the controlar it looks like the fighter is dancing

YoShI! says:
lolololol

TAKU5955 says:
rofl

MrSingh

JackFrost2012 said:
I wish my boyfriend was swass like Sega interns!

but your boyfriend is super sexy.

and VF2 for PS2 is lol.

I'm not press, and I don't work for the industry, but I still got into TGS!!

jenov4

I recall playing their port of Golden Axe and was totally disgusted by it. Has there been a decent Sega Ages 2500 port that was decent? Aside from the Virtua Racing?

sad.gif

jarrod

Banned
jenov4 said:
I recall playing their port of Golden Axe and was totally disgusted by it. Has there been a decent Sega Ages 2500 port that was decent? Aside from the Virtua Racing?
Fantasy Zone and Decathlete Collection are said to be excellent. VF2 sounds pretty decent too actually, though not getting a 100% version (when AM2 made a big deal out of doing it inhouse) is annoying.

Argyle

I think this is more of a case of "Sega sucks" (as usual) :(

Oh well, makes my investment in the original Model 2 version easier to justify :) Those boards are huge and clunky...I have one that's still in the cage with the original wire harness, such a pain in the ass that I haven't even tested that one yet...Sega's Model X arcade hardware = suck (as far as form factor and reliability) :(

Argyle said:
Oh well, makes my investment in the original Model 2 version easier to justify :) Those boards are huge and clunky...I have one that's still in the cage with the original wire harness, such a pain in the ass that I haven't even tested that one yet...Sega's Model X arcade hardware = suck (as far as form factor and reliability) :(

Don't let the other Sega zombies on this board read that; they'll argue with you otherwise, with a mountain of meaningless stats and figures.

COCKLES

being watched
FortNinety said:
Don't let the other Sega zombies on this board read that; they'll argue with you otherwise, with a mountain of meaningless stats and figures.

"..too...late!..."

doncale

Banned
it's pretty sad that Nno home version of Virtua Fighter is as good as its arcade counterpart

Saturn and 32X VF1
Saturn VF2
Dreamcast VF3 Team Battle
PS2 VF4
PS2 VF4 Evolution
PS2 VF2

ok and I am not counting Virtua Fighter Remix on Saturn, STV Arcade and PC

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I think I'm just going to give up on these Sega PS2 remakes. There's just something wrong when the original versions, be it a Genesis orSaturn game, are better than the PS2 version. I wasted my money on Alien Syndrome and Decathlete; that's enough. :\

(I wasn't planning on buying VF2 anyway though....don't see the point with VF4 Evolution out)

Speaking of ports, has Sega announced Final Tuned for any system yet? I want to pick up Evolution but I would rather get Final Tuned if it gets released on the PS2 (don't like the greatest hits box art either ;)).

MrSingh

jenov4 said:

Bonanza Bros was excellent, in fact it's better than the original since the characters/levels are real 3D objects vs. "3D prerendered looking sprites" in the original arcade game.

It also includes the Tantarou Puzzle & Action game!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Lyte Edge said:
I think I'm just going to give up on these Sega PS2 remakes. There's just something wrong when the original versions, be it a Genesis orSaturn game, are better than the PS2 version. I wasted my money on Alien Syndrome and Decathlete; that's enough. :\

(I wasn't planning on buying VF2 anyway though....don't see the point with VF4 Evolution out)

No one is saying Saturn VF2 is better than PS2 VF2. Just that PS2 VF2 is a bit sloppy.

doncale

Banned
obviously the PS2 port of VF2 is gonna shit all over the very decent Saturn conversion of VF2. but the PS2 VF2 still leaves the 1995 Model 2 arcade VF2/VF2.1 as the best VF2.

doncale

Banned
I couldn't find all the pics I was looking for, so for now this is the best I can do

Saturn VF2
vf2.jpg

vf2-02.jpg

sarah-lau.jpg

PS2 VF2
screen_4.jpg

screen_2.jpg

screen_1.jpg

screen_3.jpg

IBM PC VF2
virtua2_screen005.jpg

virtua2_screen003.jpg

virtua2_screen004.jpg

Arcade VF2
vf2_phot.jpg

vf2.jpg

xVirtua_Fighter_2.jpg

wVirtua_Fighter_2.jpg

1068172520.jpg

http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_model2a.html
(scroll to near the bottem of the page)
vf2flyer8hu.jpg

edit: oh there's 5 videos of the PS2 VF2
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/695/695187/vids_1.html

IMO, the PS2 models seem to look closer to the Saturn version's models than the Arcade version's models . though the backgrounds are 3D in the PS2 ver.

edit: the PS2 Akira model looks more like the arcade, but the others, it's hard to tell. after watching all 5 vids, I can now say the PS2 VF2 looks closer to the arcade, especially from the last two vids.

gamespot has vids too:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/virtuafighter2/media.html

you can compare this PS2 screen
screen_3.jpg

to this arcade screen (2nd picture on page linked below)
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page=flyerdb&subpage=flyer&id=1313&image=2

Miburou

So the only problem is with the textures? Seeing as how Model 2's textures weren't that impressive even back then, and that I haven't played the arcade version since 1996, I think I can live with that.

BTW, is this coming out in the US, or is importing the only way to go?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Fatghost28 said:
No one is saying Saturn VF2 is better than PS2 VF2. Just that PS2 VF2 is a bit sloppy.

I'll be shocked if the PS2 version has anything more than arcade mode and some difficulty settings based on my experiences with other Sega PS2 budget titles...and if that's true, I'll take the Saturn version. :p

But it really doesn't matter with VF4 Evolution available for $20. VF2 should be a freebie with a PS2 port of Final Tuned or something.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Saturn version of VF2 still runs in a higher resolution and apparently has better texture allignment than the PS2 version, and of course benefits from the Saturn's great fighting controller pad.

Both the VF1 rendition in VF4 Evo PS2 and Virtua Racing PS2 still fall short of their arcade counterparts in some ways (notably object modeling), and it's nothing new for an old arcade game to have eventually been remixed for the better overall (like Soul Calibur and TTT got updated for the DC and PS2 respectively.) However, since it's differences in hardware features and not power that prevents the newer platforms from matching the older ones in these situations, the pursuit of arcade perfection from these games would be mainly for novelty interest.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lazy8 said:
and Virtua Racing PS2 still fall short of their arcade counterparts in some ways (notably object modeling)
Yeah, the increased polycount in PS2:VR really screwed up those fantastically modelled triangle trees and hexagonal tyres of the original. :(

MrSingh said:
I'm not press, and I don't work for the industry, but I still got into TGS!!
I bet it's because of the beard! Oh wait, you don't have a beard either... :p

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Fafalada:
Yeah, the increased polycount in PS2:VR really screwed up those fantastically modelled triangle trees and hexagonal tyres of the original.
Not uncommon; a lot of visually lacking racers model with more geometry than Gran Turismo 3, too. Basically, the build resulting from the game's distinctive use of flat-shaded polys in light and dark shades of a color to almost solely represent detail (the "hardcore shading" remark) resembled, in the PS2 version, some of the objects in the 32X rendition more than it did the arcade original.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Lazy8s said:
the game's distinctive use of flat-shaded polys in light and dark shades of a color to almost solely represent detail (the "hardcore shading" remark) resembled

WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT

IT USES THE SAME GODDAMN GEOMETRY IN THE BACKGROUNDS

IT USES THE SAME SHADING IN THE RENDERER, IE -->FLAT<--

THE BACKGROUNDS ARE EFFING IDENTICAL TO THE ARCADE VERSION

Just play the arcade one through MAME for chrissakes!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Sho Nuff said:

This is my post of the year.

signet

Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
Memories, sweetened thru the ages just like wine,
Memories, memories, sweet memories

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I also think (comparing to MAME version of VF1) that PS2 VF4Evo uses the same models for the characters. Of course, since they are applying the VF4 animation data to them, and running the game at 60FPS, it makes it somewhat different (but I think better) looking

Sho Nuff said:

Someone obviously is not familiar with Lazy8's shtick.

Argyle

Lazy8s said:
Saturn version of VF2 still runs in a higher resolution and apparently has better texture allignment than the PS2 version, and of course benefits from the Saturn's great fighting controller pad.

Both the VF1 rendition in VF4 Evo PS2 and Virtua Racing PS2 still fall short of their arcade counterparts in some ways (notably object modeling), and it's nothing new for an old arcade game to have eventually been remixed for the better overall (like Soul Calibur and TTT got updated for the DC and PS2 respectively.) However, since it's differences in hardware features and not power that prevents the newer platforms from matching the older ones in these situations, the pursuit of arcade perfection from these games would be mainly for novelty interest.

However, the PS2 version sports the exact same sound as the arcade game, a very noticeable improvement over the Saturn version's horribly downsampled voices. The Saturn version also has far more problems than mere texture alignment in the backgrounds, as it seems that the Saturn's VDP2 lacks enough VRAM in that resolution for a 2D background to represent all 360 degrees of the arena. This made the background scroll at a different rate than the foreground, creating a disturbingly inaccurate parallax effect. (Contrast one of the Tekken games, whose background scrolls correctly with the foreground.) This was fixed in later AM2 games like Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix by running the game in a lower resolution.

Both the PS2 and Saturn versions run at a higher resolution than the arcade game, but the Saturn version has noticeably lower poly characters and lacks the "hardcore" shading of the original (that is, flat shading)...the Saturn characters are not lit at all!

Still, though, aside from some sloppiness in the backgrounds, this looks like a far superior port of the game (as far as arcade perfection) compared to such lackluster efforts as VF3tb on the Dreamcast...

Also, from what I understand of the Model 1 and 2 hardware, there are no hardware features being used that a modern system like the PS2 couldn't replicate. I think that any problems with the port quality comes down to "Sega sucks a fat one," as usual.

doncale said:
it's pretty sad that Nno home version of Virtua Fighter is as good as its arcade counterpart

VF1 in VF4 Evolution was just as good as its arcade counterpart. Really some of you people need to get a life. No mater what Sega does people will complain. I am just happy to get VF2 at home that is closer to the arcade then the Saturn version. So it is a little off big deal.

Top Bottom