• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Shizuka

"Woo-hoo!
You are now an official backer of Re: Sharin no Kuni Project.

If this project is successfully funded, the creator will send you a survey to collect information needed to deliver your reward."

Just got the limited edition, hoping it'll reach the Vita stretch goal in the end.

I'm hoping for the next stretch goal, the fandisk is supposedly quite nice.

The good part of the fandisc is the Houzuki story which is in the base 80k goal. The rest is just fluffy after stories that are excuses to have sex scenes with the heroines (like most fan disc content of that style).

upandaway

The good part of the fandisc is the Houzuki story which is in the base 80k goal. The rest is just fluffy after stories that are excuses to have sex scenes with the heroines (like most fan disc content of that style).
I actually liked some of them (I think Sachi's mainly) just for the calm sol stuff, it was pretty nice.
Hozuki's story was well um, it was there too

Yuuichi

I actually liked some of them (I think Sachi's mainly) just for the calm sol stuff, it was pretty nice.
Hozuki's story was well um, it was there too

I would argue Hozuki's story is pretty crucial to understanding what actually happens in the last 10m of the main game (excluding the h-scene at the end), it's not just ~there~.

upandaway

I would argue Hozuki's story is pretty crucial to understanding what actually happens in the last 10m of the main game (excluding the h-scene at the end), it's not just ~there~.
Sure, it was an important part of the package, I just didn't care too much for it

Couple questions about Higurashi and Umineko:

How does the Higurashi bundle on Steam work? What is Hou? Am I getting future chapters, or just the currently released chapters?

Is it necessary or recommended to play all the Higurashi arcs before Umineko? Is the Umineko question arc satisfactory, or will the wait for the Answers arc be terrible?

Edit:

Also, does the Higurashi bundle give you a discount for owning the previous chapters? I'm thinking of just buying the first chapter, and buying the bundle during the next sale.

JulianImp

Couple questions about Higurashi and Umineko:

How does the Higurashi bundle on Steam work? What is Hou? Am I getting future chapters, or just the currently released chapters?

Is it necessary or recommended to play all the Higurashi arcs before Umineko? Is the Umineko question arc satisfactory, or will the wait for the Answers arc be terrible?

Hou covers the first four (question arc) episodes of Higurashi only, and the main story has four more episodes (the answer arcs), plus several more supplementary episodes AFAIK.

As for Umineko, you don't actually need to have finished Higurashi, even though the author does play with some of the elements and themes laid out throughout its story in Umineko. The question arcs are often called the "core arcs" by the fans, because the later four arcs aren't flat-out "answer arcs" unlike Higurashi's.

The spoiler-free premise of Umineko is that it's a battle between two characters to prove whether the bizarre mysteries going on in an island (closed circle) are due to magic, or if they can actually be explained through mundane tricks and logic. While you can supposedly "solve" the whole thing even after only reading through the core arcs, you'll probably need some of the vague but still very important hints that the later four episodes give you in order to really understand things.

As for waiting for the rest of the episodes, I'd say it depends on whether you really want to read all of it at once (which will take you quite a bit longer to finish compare to your average AAA game nowadadays), or if you're okay with reading it as it becomes available to avoid having to wait forever (at the expense of having to wait in between releases).

Hou covers the first four (question arc) episodes of Higurashi only, and the main story has four more episodes (the answer arcs), plus several more supplementary episodes AFAIK.

As for Umineko, you don't actually need to have finished Higurashi, even though the author does play with some of the elements and themes laid out throughout its story in Umineko. The question arcs are often called the "core arcs" by the fans, because the later four arcs aren't flat-out "answer arcs" unlike Higurashi's.

The spoiler-free premise of Umineko is that it's a battle between two characters to prove whether the bizarre mysteries going on in an island (closed circle) are due to magic, or if they can actually be explained through mundane tricks and logic. While you can supposedly "solve" the whole thing even after only reading through the core arcs, you'll probably need some of the vague but still very important hints that the later four episodes give you in order to really understand things.

As for waiting for the rest of the episodes, I'd say it depends on whether you really want to read all of it at once (which will take you quite a bit longer to finish compare to your average AAA game nowadadays), or if you're okay with reading it as it becomes available to avoid having to wait forever (at the expense of having to wait in between releases).

Thanks so much for the explanation! I ended up just picking up the first Higurashi game, and I'll probably complete the bundle during the winter sale (and their bundles DOES give an additional discout/remove the cost for items already owned, which is great).

Also picked up Fata Morgana since VNgaf has been raving about it, and Root Double -Before Crime * After Days since it looked cool. I haven't seen much about the game, but the reviews seem to generally be positive. It's from the same director as Remember11 and Ever17 (haven't played either of them yet), so it'll be neat to compare this with the 999 games.

Thanks so much for the explanation! I ended up just picking up the first Higurashi game, and I'll probably complete the bundle during the winter sale (and their bundles DOES give an additional discout/remove the cost for items already owned, which is great).

Also picked up Fata Morgana since VNgaf has been raving about it, and Root Double -Before Crime * After Days since it looked cool. I haven't seen much about the game, but the reviews seem to generally be positive. It's from the same director as Remember11 and Ever17 (haven't played either of them yet), so it'll be neat to compare this with the 999 games.

Root Double is fantastic. Definite seal of approval on that one.

I'm probably going to pick up Fata Morgana. I've wanted to for awhile given all the praise that's been heaped on it, and the current price seems pretty good. Debating on whether or not to pick up anything else during the sale.

I got 2 endings in Steins Gate 0 so far, it's good at the moment, but at the same time a bit disappointing that it feels like a VN with even more filler and SoL moments than the original, and it feels a lot more out of place here, because of the more serious and tense atmosphere, which is a shame :(

Maho is by far the best new character introduced and overall together with Okabe my favourite of the two games, the other new ones are average and lacking so far, but i wasn't the biggest fan of most of the original characters so that isn't suprising.

The soundtrack is really good, it feels a bit like the return of Infinity Abo, many tracks remind me of Ever17/Remember11 which goes hand in hand with the more tense and gloomy atmosphere.

The new character art is a big improvement, but even here there is a big flaw, in the flackbacks you'll see the "old" character art, which is really irritating and disappointing, it hurts the immersion.

I really hope that the remaining endings are more impactful, so far there weren't many surprising or emotional moments like in the original.

It doesn't look good for VNGOTY, honestly I will even say that Steins Gate 0 doesn't stand a chance against Root Double and Fata Morgana so far

Shizuka

After having played all the new visual novels released in 2016 that I wanted to play, I can safely say that Fata Morgana is the VN of the year, maybe I'd go as far as the game being my overall GOTY.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
After having played all the new visual novels released in 2016 that I wanted to play, I can safely say that Fata Morgana is the VN of the year, maybe I'd go as far as the game being my overall GOTY.
This makes my little frozen heart melt.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone played hatsumira? Just found out prototype is doing a vita port and since it's by frontwing I'm thinking of giving it a shot if it's good.

Knurek

In ADV news, I've finally wrapped up Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, aka Padding: The Game.
Removing all those repeating animations would have easily shaved 5 or so hours of the total game time, other than that decent cases at worst with some of the best ones in the series as well. I'd argue the first case is strongest here, with #5-2 close through.
That DLC case, focused on original trilogy cast was also a blast.
I just wish Capcom would port them to a platform with a proper screen, and ideally, add full voice acting. :\

Knurek

What was the DLC case? I only played the original DS version.
I agree I thought the first case of AJ was really good.

I'm not talking about Apollo Justice, Spirit of Justice is the US version of Gyakuten Saiban 6, whereas Apollo Justice was Gyakuten Saiban 4.

Buzzi

Hi everyone, my first post here after two years of lurking (and six months of account activation) *__*

Well, completed Analogue: a Hate Story. It was interesting, the endings could be better and the logs structure was a bit tiring, but the whole "historic" plot and hacking part were really a nice change of pace from the usual VN for me.

Is Hate Plus a more-of-the-same or does it accomplish something?

Has anyone played hatsumira? Just found out prototype is doing a vita port and since it's by frontwing I'm thinking of giving it a shot if it's good.

I played through the common route and dropped it. Protag is an annoying arrogant know-it-all gary stue shithead and the heroines are boring.

Phii

Banned
Finished The House in Fata Morgana. I'm happy to have experienced it (thanks to VNGAF); I won't forget this tale!

FEDIT: I'm also happy I grabbed the OST bundle. Plenty upon plenty of goodies here.

hampig

Anybody have any recommendations for me? I'm looking for something between ~4-10 hours that's dark/serious with romance components.

I planned to be playing Muv-Luv right now, but I backed the Vita version and that still seems to be months off.

Quixzlizx

Anybody have any recommendations for me? I'm looking for something between ~4-10 hours that's dark/serious with romance components.

I planned to be playing Muv-Luv right now, but I backed the Vita version and that still seems to be months off.

Have you tried Planetarian?

1. I don't know if I would call it "romance," but the game is about a relationship between two characters.

2. It's a kinetic novel, so there aren't actually any choices.

It definitely fits 4-10 hours and dark/serious, though. And it's good.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished The House in Fata Morgana. I'm happy to have experienced it (thanks to VNGAF); I won't forget this tale!

FEDIT: I'm also happy I grabbed the OST bundle. Plenty upon plenty of goodies here.

Man, I was super glad I bought the deluxe edition, too. Kinda weird, though -- I wasn't really feeling the music samples they had on the site, but when I played the game, the soundtrack was just incredible. I'm happy to have it.

Danny Dudekisser

So.. it's not really much of a sale, but Umineko is 15% off right now... should I pick it up? It's going to be tough for anything to live up to Fata Morgana, but people seem to like this one... right?

hampig

Have you tried Planetarian?

1. I don't know if I would call it "romance," but the game is about a relationship between two characters.

2. It's a kinetic novel, so there aren't actually any choices.

It definitely fits 4-10 hours and dark/serious, though. And it's good.

Sounds like it could be something I'd enjoy. I'm totally ok with kinetic novels too, so that's no big deal.

I definitely was looking for more of a romance, but as long as the characters are good I'm still interested.

Shizuka

If not for the "4-10 hours" part, I'd suggest "The House in Fata Morgana".

Knurek

So.. it's not really much of a sale, but Umineko is 15% off right now... should I pick it up? It's going to be tough for anything to live up to Fata Morgana, but people seem to like this one... right?

Make sure to get the fan patch.

Umineko beats Fata Morgana by the single fact its fully voiced, and the actors have outdone themselves.

I have a problem getting the true ending in Steins Gate 0, does someone know if the 1.01 patch caused a problem? I doesn't seem to unlock, i have seen all the other endings :(

Lucy, it fits the lenght and is really solid:

50% off
http://store.steampowered.com/app/430960/

Shizuka

Patches are causing all sorts of problem. Are you playing the Vita version? You might have to start a fresh save if you started before downloading and installing the latest patch.

Patches are causing all sorts of problem. Are you playing the Vita version? You might have to start a fresh save if you started before downloading and installing the latest patch.

It's the PS4 Version, and i started with the patch installed which is 1.01, there isn't a new patch so i think it's a common problem of this version

Umineko, if you ask me, is the one VN that matches up to Fata Morgana in terms of characterization and literary merit. It's a difficult read, but it's wonderful. It's also *incredibly* long, that's just the first half (the second half called Umineko Chiru is not released on Steam yet) but it's already over 50 hours of content most likely (and Chiru is longer, substantially so). It's also one of the most beloved and praised VNs in the West. Takes a while to get going if you do decide to play it. I agree that you really should use the fan patch, especially for the voices. Second only to Fata Morgana (and perhaps 999 and VLR) in terms of OST, it's insane (some 100+ songs, most of which are exceptional).

Here's some OST samples for you to enjoy:
Dead angle
Thanks For Being Born (this is my favorite)
Discolor
Dreamenddischarger
Golden slaughterer

I guess Saya no Uta could kiiiind of count lol. Not much romance to be had, but it's really dark.

Edit: I should make a Fata Morgana appreciation thread to draw attention to it... More people should know about this game.

Danny Dudekisser

Actually, you kinda raised another question I had -- this is the first half of the story. Is it satisfying on its own? I ain't tryna get into cliffhanger territory without the second part of the series in sight.

Got the true ending!!!

I symply started a new game and i played all the way to get the true ending, it wouldnt trigger if i used a quicksave or a save shortcut, problem solved :)

Top Bottom