• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

LayLa

Hey there thread, I decided recently to explore the world of visual novels more after enjoying Steins Gate & Planetarian. I've bought a cheap windows tablet which will be mainly used for VNs, so question is - what are the best places outside of Steam to buy VNs? Any good online resources for news/reviews etc? thanks!

I don't have advice on buying and am less knowledgeable than others in this thread, but one place that sticks in my mind is vndb.org, the visual novel database. Good to browse tags, see what's available in different languages and operating systems, see links to related VNs if it's part of a series, links to where to find them, user reviews.

Hey there thread, I decided recently to explore the world of visual novels more after enjoying Steins Gate & Planetarian. I've bought a cheap windows tablet which will be mainly used for VNs, so question is - what are the best places outside of Steam to buy VNs? Any good online resources for news/reviews etc? thanks!
Besides Steam, there isn't much of a venue for English VNs on PC besides individual publishers.

I recommend Remember11, Ever17, The House In Fata Morgana and Umineko!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Get The House in Fata Morgana ;)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
How has Time Hollow aged as a visual novel?

I thought it was pretty bleh. Short but meh. It was also during a time of Americanizing everything, so everyone had like english names and stuff. The story was nothing too amazing, either.

grim-tales

I really quite liked it and thought it had a good story, but then I was fairly new to VN/Japanese adventures at the time. It got annoying when you couldnt figure out what the hell to do to progress though. The theme song was great.

Knurek

steam_vnwnsz2.png

Best way to play The House in Fata Morgana.
Yes, I know Fata doesn't have Save game keyboard shortcut, I'm just to lazy to change my VN SteamCon profile

epmode

steam_vnwnsz2.png

Best way to play The House in Fata Morgana.
Yes, I know Fata doesn't have Save game keyboard shortcut, I'm just to lazy to change my VN SteamCon profile

I wish you had published the config a week or two ago!

My basic config worked fine but you have some neat extra stuff in there.

real talk, I played Devil on a G-String and ended up dropping it after the big reveal, it completely destroyed everything interesting about the main character and everything compelling about the relationship with that girl(black hair I forgot her name). I just completely lost all motivation to keep reading.

real talk, I played Devil on a G-String and ended up dropping it after the big reveal, it completely destroyed everything interesting about the main character and everything compelling about the relationship with that girl(black hair I forgot her name). I just completely lost all motivation to keep reading.
I played it five years ago and I remember almost nothing about it.
I don't know why it was so acclaimed for a while.

Knurek

I'm starting to worry about Sharin no Kuni Kickstarter.
It's 5k over the funded goal, but doesn't seem to have a shot at the Vita port stretch goal, meaning a lot of folks will remove their pledges a day or so before the end...
Might be enough to take it below 80k again. :\

Shizuka

It's 5k over the funded goal, but doesn't seem to have a shot at the Vita port stretch goal, meaning a lot of folks will remove their pledges a day or so before the end...

I know I'm removing my pledge if it doesn't reach the Vita stretch goal by then. I'm excited by the campaign, but I'm only interested in the Vita port.

You can't remove a pledge if it would take it below the funding line.

Might be enough to take it below 80k again. :
Worrying about it dropping below 80k is silly, that's not how Kickstarters work. It'll probably end up over 100k.

Vita, man, Vita.
Seems to be a sticking point for a lot of people in VN Community.
They're typically a small part of the VN Kickstarter audience. They won't be enough to put the base goal in jeopardy.

And this stagnancy isn't really that unusual. A lull before the last few days kick things into gear again is actually the standard pattern.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
They're typically a small part of the VN Kickstarter audience. They won't be enough to put the base goal in jeopardy.

And this stagnancy isn't really that unusual. A lull before the last few days kick things into gear again is actually the standard pattern.

Agreed. I wouldn't worry unless it's still around 90k a few days before the campaign ends. Raising even all of the currently missing 35k in the last few days wouldn't be unexpected considering the usual curve, but with the Vita consideration, if it did hit the last days on such a low note it might make some undecided people start pulling their pledges instead of raising them, and a dip in the pledges might start snowballing.

Just finished S;G 0, so now it's time for me to go into post-SG withdrawal. I just simply loved the universe and characters so much and not sure where else they can go.

I'll miss the cast ;-;.

aravuus

What was the big reveal, again?

I played it all the way through and was surprised at how highly people seem to think of it. It wasn't awful per se, but it wasn't very good either iirc. Like Dandy, I've forgotten almost everything about it, though I only played it a couple of years ago.

What was the big reveal, again?

I played it all the way through and was surprised at how highly people seem to think of it. It wasn't awful per se, but it wasn't very good either iirc. Like Dandy, I've forgotten almost everything about it, though I only played it a couple of years ago.
That the main character wasn't Maou, he was actually the MCs older brother

Now it wasn't hard to assume it would go down a route like that very early on but I was hoping it wouldn't.

PKrockin

Slowbeef, of Retsupurae fame and often credited with creating let's play, recently started hosting a series called Visual Novel Book Club. It's exactly what it sounds like--every week he and his friends play through part of a visual novel and then get together and discuss it. Slowbeef and TieTuesday are really funny so I've been enjoying listening to their thoughts on the game in the background while playing other games. Ever17 is their first game and they're just about to the end of it now. I'm surprised the idea never even occurred to me before, I'm sure it would be fun to participate in one.

Ekid

I would back it if they could deliver an EU code for the vita digital version. As it stand it's a no go.

I hope Dies Irae won't have the same problem.

Interestingly, I never expected
the protagonist to be that person
as it would be too obvious. If you have missed the last chapter, I recommend you going back to it because of two of the most emotional scenes at the end.

aravuus

Slowbeef, of Retsupurae fame and often credited with creating let's play, recently started hosting a series called Visual Novel Book Club. It's exactly what it sounds like--every week he and his friends play through part of a visual novel and then get together and discuss it. Slowbeef and TieTuesday are really funny so I've been enjoying listening to their thoughts on the game in the background while playing other games. Ever17 is their first game and they're just about to the end of it now. I'm surprised the idea never even occurred to me before, I'm sure it would be fun to participate in one.

I remember someone posting about this when the first video came out and I decided to wait a bit before I start watching. It's a really neat idea, will definitely check it out during the holidays in case they really are close to the end.

Just finished S;G 0, so now it's time for me to go into post-SG withdrawal. I just simply loved the universe and characters so much and not sure where else they can go.

I'll miss the cast ;-;.

My Steins;Gate 0 finally arrived in the mail yesterday. I started it last night. It feels so good to be back with the characters and I can already tell I am going to like the new ones. I'm going to be doing a bit of traveling over the holidays and I am really looking forward to playing this while I'm away.

Top Bottom