• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Deft Beck

I guess this would be a good place to ask.

I am in the process of writing an original science-fiction drama that would span several volumes. Beyond writing the prose editions and releasing them online as eBooks, I would also like to adapt the volumes into a visual novel series using Ren'py. I plan on making the series available on PC/Mac/Linux via Steam, as well as Android devices via Google Play.

Could there be a market for something like this? I realize that the vast majority of popular visual novels seem to have an anime aesthetic (this would have a more cartoony aesthetic; my avatar is the main protagonist of this series, and his look would be indicative of the series' art style).

Despite that, I think it could be fun to make an interactive version of the story. There would be less emphasis on choices that affect the path of the overall narrative and moreso the ability to talk to characters about different subjects and explore other places in the setting. I think it would be a good way to enhance the narrative and give readers a new way to experience the story.

What do you think?

Ants

I guess this would be a good place to ask.

I am in the process of writing an original science-fiction drama that would span several volumes. Beyond writing the prose editions and releasing them online as eBooks, I would also like to adapt the volumes into a visual novel series using Ren'py. I plan on making the series available on PC/Mac/Linux via Steam, as well as Android devices via Google Play.

Could there be a market for something like this? I realize that the vast majority of popular visual novels seem to have an anime aesthetic (this would have a more cartoony aesthetic; my avatar is the main protagonist of this series, and his look would be indicative of the series' art style).

Despite that, I think it could be fun to make an interactive version of the story. There would be less emphasis on choices that affect the path of the overall narrative and moreso the ability to talk to characters about different subjects and explore other places in the setting. I think it would be a good way to enhance the narrative and give readers a new way to experience the story.

What do you think?

I don't play a particularly huge amount of VNs, but I think this would be interesting. If it wouldn't be a prohibitively huge amount of work (and having made some simple games via Python, I don't think it would be), I say go for it!

Absolutely. VN's seem to be popping up more and more on Steam and other devices. You should just be extra mindful of the amount of art assets that would be needed when writing the prose. It could turn into a ton of work if you are adding characters and locations all the time.

Lain

Received an email from J-List about my Hanachirasu preorder preparing to ship.
Funny thing is, I also received an email from JastUSA about my old preorder that I can't see anymore preparing to ship... I guess I'll have 2 Hanachirasu boxes.

Yuuichi

Any good ones for iOS? Looking for something to play on my 6+ in bed.

Assuming it hasn't been taken down yet there's an all ages port of Kira☆Kira with a mildly questionable but very readable translation that I have no hesitation in recommending.

c830413packagevpkhh.jpg

Finished Boku no Hitori Sensou.

Honestly, I don't know what I expected, but after the awesome first chapter (demo) and the OP-movie I would have guessed some kind of battle royale / zombie apocalypse scenario in a rural setting. One might think that Looseboy, known for his cuhrayzee tweeests, would be running amok with a story that includes
supernatural elements

But no, instead you'll get a boring drama about the complicated nature of human relationships. This might have been cool with characters that are worth a damn but this is a seriously boring group of friends. There is nothing interesting about their backstories, their worries and aspirations and yet, all of this trivial shit has to be told for some reason.

The idea behind the story is not bad but the execution ends up being so goddamn unexciting.
The curse itself is indeed cruel in concept, ending up forgotten by the people you most care for is a pretty shitty thing no doubt, but in the end it's just lacking the tension of the good old "fight for your life" -scenario.
That's really the worst thing about this game. It's not tense. It's lame, it's tame, it's mostly boring. It intentionally doesn't provide exciting action, but the character depth that is needed to make this kind of story work isn't there either. Totally failed experiment.

Oh well going to play through a route of Sabbat of the Witch to lift my spirits before reading through the new minori game.

Shizuka

First of all, we’d like to offer our thanks to all who participated in the survey. We managed to collect information and requests from over 8,000 different people, but now the results are in, so it’s time to share some of the information from our survey!

Well, first of all, it probably comes as no surprise to anyone that the primary market for visual novels is men in the college age-range. 73% of respondents were male, while 23.5% were female, and overall 86% were between the ages of 18-30, with 62.5% being 18-24. Interestingly enough, however, female fans skewed towards slightly younger, with 13% of female respondents being between 13 and 17 years old compared to 3.8% of male respondents.

In terms of consumer habits, there’s also a noticeable trend of greater purchases corresponding to older customers. Those in the ages of 13-17 are more likely to buy one or fewer titles per year, while the primary 18-24 bracket is most likely to buy two per year, though several buy 3-5 titles in a year. This trend continues as customers age, and those over 30 are significantly more likely to buy six or more titles every year.

When asked about barriers to purchasing titles from our company, website issues, poor opinion, and DRM all received negligible responses. The primary barrier for the ~500 people who responded to this question was that they hadn’t known about us before the survey! The secondary barrier was lack of appealing titles, though this was more of an issue for the women surveyed rather than the men. Hopefully our release of No Thank You!! and our upcoming release of Ozmafia can help change that! Among men, one other issue was preference for purchasing on Steam. We certainly hope putting more titles on Steam and providing Steam Keys for all applicable games helps alleviate this barrier.

In our survey we also asked fans where they found their news about visual novels from, and while the results were mostly as we expected, there were a few surprises. Namely, it was interesting to learn that more women get their news from Tumblr than any other site, medium, or forum. In contrast, men showed a slight preference for 4chan and a disdain for Tumblr.

It also came as no surprise that an overwhelming majority of respondents prefer to game on Windows PC, but it was interesting to see that more women preferred using Mac, and made up a significant portion of Mac gamers.

When surveyed about what respondents considered most important when deciding to purchase a visual novel, “story” and “art” were significantly the two most important factors, though art held more sway with women than men. Following on the tails of those two factors, what fans find important is greatly divided by gender. For men, the third most significant factor was erotic content, while for women it was the characters and relationship options (IE male/male, female/male, etc.) Next down for women is genre, voice actors, and erotic content, but for men it’s characters, gameplay, and length. Having an anime was barely listed as a factor by respondents. In terms of age, it came as no surprise that the teenage bracket was more concerned with lower prices, but it was surprising to see that erotic content became more important to both as they aged.

Given the above, it was no surprise that women greatly preferred the otome and BL genres, while men more strongly preferred nukige and slice-of-life genres (though nukige gains importance with age). It also came as no surprise that romance games were the most strongly preferred across all ages and genders. What did come as a surprise was that yuri was liked equally well by all groups, even though it was one of the less favored genres.

Another interesting, yet surprising result of this survey was seeing respondents debunk a lot of running theories about the market. For example, over 63% of respondents prefer digital downloads over hardcopies, and that trends more strongly with the younger crowd while older fans are more likely to prefer hardcopies. Though 78% also said the format of release isn’t a significant deciding factor. Also, surprisingly enough 88% don’t care whether DRM is present or not. So the people who strongly oppose DRM on games only makes up 12% of fans.

We also see a lot of debate over version options for games (adult, all-ages, etc.), but 44% of fans prefer the adult version over all-ages options, and 30% just want whichever version is the original, unedited edition. The people who actually prefer all-ages options above others only makes up 4% of the market. Though the strength of these preferences by fans is fairly evenly split between highly important, completely unimportant, and just wanting the option to choose.

Next up is something our readers might be more interested in–What are the current top 10 brands at MangaGamer according to fans?

07th Expansion
OVERDRIVE
Innocent Grey
minori
Navel
Liarsoft
Lilith
MOONSTONE
Circus
ClockUp

While those are the overall results, it’s pretty interesting to see that OVERDRIVE and Navel gain more popularity as fans grow older, taking first and second place respectively among our oldest fans. In contrast, 07th Expansion actually loses support among older fans, and amongst our teen audience, the most popular brand is Ponipachet. Also, this came as little surprise, but Ponipatchet and pa-rade are the first and second most popular brands among our female audience, while the male audience still follows the overall trend. Though it’s also interesting to note that softhouse seal claims 15% of the male audience compared to 2% of the female audience. Unsurprisingly, all of our current nukige brands are more popular with men than women… with the exception of PSYCHO. For some reason, women like PSYCHO more than men. Also, while BaseSon claimed 11th place in our overall rankings, only 1% of women favored that brand.

And last, but not least, what everyone’s been waiting for—the top ten requested titles!

Fate/Stay Night
Majikoi series
Baldr series
Muv-Luv series
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Shin Koihime Musou
Rance series
Flowers
White Album 2
Little Busters

While very few titles at the top of this list came as a surprise, we were quite astonished to see titles already licensed by other publishers taking 19th and 25th place with a few hundred votes each. Maybe fans just trust us to do a quality job on the titles they love?

http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/03/10/2015-licensing-survey-results/

Lain

I'd love to get the full results just to see where Fraternite placed on the request list, but I don't think that would happen.

Marche90

Wow. Any sacrifices volunteers willing to check it out? I'll check it in the future, but not this week, sadly. Busy with school-related stuff.

Anko

I'm halfway through a playthrough of Innocent Grey's Kara no Shoujo (ep 1). This being my first adult rated VN, I have to ask. Do the sex scenes always feel so out of place and inappropriate for adult rated VNs?

I'm intrigued, if a bit disturbed, by the story so far, and like the characters quite a bit but the sex feels kind of shoehorned. Like, is this really the time for you to be having sex with an underage student who is almost half your age? It actually feels out of character when the MC does that. I would have preferred that they left those out. I don't think I've seen any sex scene that actually added to the story thus far.

Shiina

I'm halfway through a playthrough of Innocent Grey's Kara no Shoujo (ep 1). This being my first adult rated VN, I have to ask. Do the sex scenes always feel so out of place and inappropriate for adult rated VNs?

I'm intrigued, if a bit disturbed, by the story so far, and like the characters quite a bit but the sex feels kind of shoehorned. Like, is this really the time for you to be having sex with an underage student who is almost half your age? It actually feels out of character when the MC does that. I would have preferred that they left those out. I don't think I've seen any sex scene that actually added to the story thus far.

I remember when I played F/SN for the first time (which also happened to be my first VN) and I got to the forest chase scene and then the H scene happened and I was like wait, this isn't really happening now, is it?
I've gotten used to it now, though.

aravuus

Yes. They are absolutely terrible, every single time.

Honestly I wish every VN offered an option to automatically skip every single sex scene.

JulianImp

Talking about sex scenes and having watched the anime adaptations for Fate/Zero and the one that goes after it (Stay.Night, I think?), I was left dumbfounded when I later read that the VNs they were based on made a plot point out of masters being able to infuse their servants with mana through sexual intercourse.

While the series might make a point out of that I might be missing out on due to not having read the VNs, it feels like the fact that sex scenes could be simply left out of the anime adaptation without any repercussions or notable plot holes makes me think they were only added for the fanservice element, which is a bit of a let down.

On a separate note, I recently began playing Analogue: A Hate Story, and I'd say it's been interesting so far. I like how the tutorial asked me to infer something from the information I was provided rather than blatantly stating things outright in one of the e-mails.

Voliko

装甲悪鬼村正;155546527 said:
Well that would be rather pointless considering that 99% of the medium is all about fucking cute girls.

Well I wish it wasn't this way. VNs as a medium are very unique and I feel like their potential is being squandered. Or, to put it in more objective terms, the ratio of eroge and nukige compared to VNs without H-scenes and/or overt sexual themes is far too lopsided. In the end I suppose it's what the market wants...

Talking about sex scenes and having watched the anime adaptations for Fate/Zero and the one that goes after it (Stay.Night, I think?), I was left dumbfounded when I later read that the VNs they were based on made a plot point out of masters being able to infuse their servants with mana through sexual intercourse.

While the series might make a point out of that I might be missing out on due to not having read the VNs, it feels like the fact that sex scenes could be simply left out of the anime adaptation without any repercussions or notable plot holes makes me think they were only added for the fanservice element, which is a bit of a let down.

Couple clarifications. First, Fate/Zero was a series of prequel light novels, it was never a VN, and I don't remember any sex scenes in the light novels.

In Fate/Stay Night, there actually are plot-holes if you just cut all the sex scenes. In the anime adaptation (and all ages version of the VN) they are replaced with various non-sexual magical rituals to plug those holes and maintain continuity.

In the Fate/Stay Night anime, remember when Tohsaka did that ritual in the forest to fix Shirou and Saber's magical link so Saber could access Shirou's mana? That was a big H-scene in the VN that had to be replaced, otherwise Saber would just suddenly have her strength back for no good reason.

cj_iwakura

Thought you might be interested in knowing there's a content update for Long Live the Queen. Reddit post with details.

Also, post from MangaGamer on ask.fm, on their stance on fan translations.

Cool news, I had a lot of fun doing an LP of LLTQ.

As for MG, that's nice for them to say so, but even they have to acknowledge that there's some games that are simply never going to be localized, and fan translators have every right to take them on.

Part of the reason I take on ultra niche projects. Hell, 07th Expansion supported our translation of Ougon Musou Kyoku.

Thought you might be interested in knowing there's a content update for Long Live the Queen. Reddit post with details.

Also, post from MangaGamer on ask.fm, on their stance on fan translations.

If one thing sekai project has proven with their clannad and grisaia kickstarter is that you can still work your thing even when a fan translation is available.
What matters is to pick a strong title, material ..and by that i mean strong enough to gather fans behind it.

How many titles stuck in limbo , with incomplete translations ? Should they just wait god how many years before they should do it ?
I don't play Vns more than once , but i can still support ones that i've enjoyed. There is the appeal of owning your copy in your hands as well.

Bottom line , secure some titles and make things clear. Translation groups will be more than happy to pick other projects if they understand that there is a chance that a team will do an official localisation.

Anko

装甲悪鬼村正;155546527 said:
Well that would be rather pointless considering that 99% of the medium is all about fucking cute girls.
For those that are heavy on the story then. I'm quite sure Kara no Shoujo could have gone without it. It's primarily a murder mystery. I really don't need his sister leaning suggestively on his chest with her boobs half exposed. If they wanted to make you care about her, the normal interactions you have with her and her personality are more than enough.

I'm glad innocent grey went all age with Flowers. The founder liking all age yuri aside, looking at Kara no Shoujo, I can see why the team would want a break from the series. It's really quite hard to read/watch some of the graphic murder scenes sometimes, especially if the victim is one of the characters you've been interacting with for some time. I've only completed the first mystery (?), but I'm sure the worst has yet to come.

I've heard they are very important to Heaven's Feel, though I have no clue why yet. That was just disturbing.

I think it depends on what is meant by "important." They do manage to tell basically the same story in the all-ages version, so it's obviously not absolutely required. However, unlike Fate and UBW, the sex scenes and sexual content in HF actually reveals things about various characters and really drives home how despicable of people (early-ish spoiler)
Zouken
and (later spoiler)
Shinji
are. I have rarely hated characters more than those two, and I don't think it would have hit that hard without at least some of the sexual content.

That said, I've heard the all ages version turns Sakura into
a vampire rather than a sex-addict
, which, as changes go, I think is a pretty clever one.

Ants

So, before starting the games recommended to me last time, I thought I would make an attempt to finish up some of my stalled games. I made the most progress with Corpse Party. I'm not quite done yet. I'm partially through Chapter 5, up to the point where
Satoshi and Naomi meet up with Ayumi
and I'll probably finish it in a day or two.

I really enjoy the depth of content and detail in this game. You can totally miss some stuff that really builds the world. One that sticks out to me is in Chapter 4
you can find a compact make-up case that is totally optional to find right at the end of the chapter
. I honestly don't know what the significance of that is just yet, but it had a picture and everything so it's probably going to matter, but it was completely optional.

The extra chapters are pretty amazing in this regard, too. In I think the first one,
you can end it right away, and think that's just how it ends. But if you play it again and don't investigate the last toilet stall, there's this minutes-long sequence to do, that you might have no idea about if you aren't thorough (or maybe are too thorough).
I've found the game to be fairly interesting in this regard. I'm eager to replay the game a second time to explore what I missed, and to get context on some of the stuff I didn't put together, before moving on to the next one.

Speaking of which, it's tough to get a clear answer and I'm worried about stepping on a spoiler landmine by investigating further. What game am I supposed to play next after Corpse Party? I've gathered that the version I'm playing is actually technically Corpse Party: Blood Covered ...Repeated Fear, renamed to just Corpse Party since it effectively replaces that game in the canon and that name was comically huge. It's a little confusing, since there seem to be a lot of releases and spin-offs and manga, but I think I'm supposed to move on to Book of Shadows next, right?

hm...

So this is my first post in this thread. My first visual novel was 999. It showed me that this genre had great potential. The story was pretty good and emotional, but, maybe more importantly, it was a story which could be told only in a game. Subsequently I tried VLR, but I found it to be lacking in several departments in comparison with 999: the art was not as good, the story was to much contrieved and so on.

The OP suggested Katawa Shoujo, but to be honest I really didn't enjoy it. At a point I wasn't even reading the text: the descriptions were lenghty and unnecessary (why even write them if you can use pictures to describe the scenery?), and the dialogues were extremely predictable and cliche'. What really turned me off to the game was how rushed the relationships developed. To be honest Emi was the only girl I made a bond with, so the experience may change based on the path chosen. But the problem I encountered was this: she was way too eager to advance the relationship and when her and the MC ehm...undressed themselves, it really seemed nothing more than unwanted fanservice. I was looking forward to a more realistic and "adult" evolution of their relationship, eventually terminating in the "pay off" (why not, if it's done tastefully?) but as I noticed I think that this aspect wasn't given much thought by the writer.

Anyone feels the same as me? Do you have any visual novel to suggest based on thies brief note?

JulianImp

Couple clarifications. First, Fate/Zero was a series of prequel light novels, it was never a VN, and I don't remember any sex scenes in the light novels.

In Fate/Stay Night, there actually are plot-holes if you just cut all the sex scenes. In the anime adaptation (and all ages version of the VN) they are replaced with various non-sexual magical rituals to plug those holes and maintain continuity.

In the Fate/Stay Night anime, remember when Tohsaka did that ritual in the forest to fix Shirou and Saber's magical link so Saber could access Shirou's mana? That was a big H-scene in the VN that had to be replaced, otherwise Saber would just suddenly have her strength back for no good reason.

Yeah, I knew about the forst scene, which is the thing that made me go WTF when I eventually read what had happened in the source material. Still, are there any cases were H-scenes are actually done for a good reason other than fanservice?

I'm debating whether I should go back and reread Umineko Eps 1-4 with all the hints that were revealed by the end of Ep8 and see if I can understand what was actually going on in there. It's really interesting that the first episode, which seems to be the one that has the least magical elements, has a huge one in retrospect in
the very fact that Kinzo's alive
(end of Ep 4 spoilers).

Besides that, I think I might start reading some other mystery VN, so I'd like to ask you guys for advice on free ones, or ones I might be able to get through Steam (for either PC or Mac).

Burnburn

hm...

So this is my first post in this thread. My first visual novel was 999. It showed me that this genre had great potential. The story was pretty good and emotional, but, maybe more importantly, it was a story which could be told only in a game. Subsequently I tried VLR, but I found it to be lacking in several departments in comparison with 999: the art was not as good, the story was to much contrieved and so on.

The OP suggested Katawa Shoujo, but to be honest I really didn't enjoy it. At a point I wasn't even reading the text: the descriptions were lenghty and unnecessary (why even write them if you can use pictures to describe the scenery?), and the dialogues were extremely predictable and cliche'. What really turned me off to the game was how rushed the relationships developed. To be honest Emi was the only girl I made a bond with, so the experience may change based on the path chosen. But the problem I encountered was this: she was way too eager to advance the relationship and when her and the MC ehm...undressed themselves, it really seemed nothing more than unwanted fanservice. I was looking forward to a more realistic and "adult" evolution of their relationship, eventually terminating in the "pay off" (why not, if it's done tastefully?) but as I noticed I think that this aspect wasn't given much thought by the writer.

Anyone feels the same as me? Do you have any visual novel to suggest based on thies brief note?

Ah, yes, I agree with you, I too really did not get any enjoyment out of Katawa Shoujo. As for recommendations, I would recommend what I always do: Kara no Shoujo, Any of 999's writer previous games (Ever 17, Remember 11, Never 7), Swan Song, Corpse Party games.

Though these aren't really doing stuff "which could be told only in a game" as you put it, but they are very good. Definitely try out Kara no Shoujo, which I would recommend over the others.

aravuus

Though these aren't really doing stuff "which could be told only in a game" as you put it, but they are very good. Definitely try out Kara no Shoujo, which I would recommend over the others.

Ever17 and iirc Remember11 def do some stuff that can only really be done with games/VNs

Kasper

Has anyone read rewrite? That is definitely worth your time if you like visual novels.

Loved Rewrite. It had its fair share of flaws, but a lot of the routes were really enjoyable and the common route was simply fantastic!

Though it seems to be most people's least favorite route, I really enjoyed Lucia's and it was definitely the ending I liked the best out of any.

To me, the only truly awful part of Rewrite was
Shizuru's ending, which was just pure shit. My eyes were about to roll out of my head when all the stuff past the world destruction happened and you were reading her diary. Up until that part the route was great, and I didn't even mind the world ending, but the way it was handled was just not for me... at all.

cj_iwakura

hm...

Keep in mind that KS has different writers for each route, so it very much changes depending on that. I felt the most romantic one was definitely Lilly's. (And even the adult content in that feels kind of rushed and awkward.)

Burnburn

Ever17 and iirc Remember11 def do some stuff that can only really be done with games/VNs

Oh right, I totally forgot about that, even though it's such a major point!

So yeah, FairFriend, if "the stuff only games could do" is really what drew you to 999, then you should check out Ever17 or Remember11 before branching deeper into VN's.

Yuuichi

hm...

I don't blame you. I'm a member of the crowd who firmly believes that "sex sells", and that yes, most games will not manage to write h beyond what is essentially fan service. I think the only game that comes to mind as not having h out of nowhere is 大図書館の羊飼い, but that game is rife with other structural problems.

Also, on a similar note, I highly recommend the following if you want to completely ruin some games for yourself: (the following are not spoilers, but can ruin games in a hilarious manner)
count the amount of days that a route takes place over, either using an in game date clock or use inferences from the text.
Most games tend to
write things in to a hilariously small window
with two examples off the top of my head being (actual (minor) spoilers this time)
Flyable Heart (one of the routes is about a month long from start to finish) and OsaDai, my personal favorite, in which you can infer from the text one of the routes cannot be more than 3 weeks long, from start to end.
It's a very silly problem, can be absolutely hilarious and may completely destroy your immersion in a game once you notice it.

Jazz573

I know that everyone suggested I play Steins;Gate, but since I've been wanting to play it for a long time I decided to play Yu-No instead.

I thought it was a pretty awesome game and that it had a well written story. Of course, the music is probably also one of the high points.
After playing it however, I really can't understand where all the hate for the epilogue came from. In fact, I think it's probably one of the best parts of the game.

As for my next VN, I still haven't thought too hard about what I want to play next.

Yu-No

I thought it was pretty ballsy how the game tricks you into thinking you're almost done and then it shunts you off to Middle-earth for 10 hours.

Anko

I would suggest Akai Ito to anyone who has an interest in trying. It's not as well known as it should be, even amongst the Japanese, but it is a favourite amongst many who have played it.

It was my very first VN, and is still my all time favourite to this day. The sequel Aoi Shiro can't compare.
The problem is, it is only available in Japanese on the PS2, and on the PSN for PS3 via the PS2 archives. There is an almost complete translation online though. And I think someone made a patch for PC emulation. I'm not too sure.

Akai Ito features a female protagonist, who is all sorts of adorable. It's all age. Romance is not the main aim in this game. The routes are all for female characters. It has yuri subtext. It's full blown yuri in my eyes but your mileage may vary. If you don't like yuri, it is still very easy to get into because there's nothing explicit and romance is not the main part of this VN, if you can even call it a romance. Akai Ito has an insane amount of branching. There are four main routes, and a lot of endings. There's a total of
endings,
that are bad and
that are "normal" endings, which sometimes can actually be more depressing than the bad endings. One of the good "normal" endings is a hot favourite amongst fans though. I'd say it's even more popular than the true end for that route. The bad endings, especially the alternatives to the true ends, are absolutely worth going through, as heart wrenching as they may be. I liked the story a lot, parts of which are tragic. There are some routes which you have to complete first to unlock others. Some will reveal more about the main mystery than others.

Another thing about the branching is that I think it doesn't really cheat, even though it is a lot less linear than a lot of the other VNs (think 4 parallel paths, with only a few overlaps). Everything happens for a reason. For example, if you choose not to go to the mountain that day, the event that you would have witnessed still happens. It would, of course, most likely play out differently than if you had gone. It then has an effect on what comes later. If you had met a certain character earlier, the MC would have reacted in a different way when an event comes up later. If you didn't wait to talk to another character, you wouldn't have missed the last bus. Etc. This sort of cause and effect is something I really enjoyed about the VN a lot. The flags for the way it branches are a lot more obvious, and with the amount of branching it has, they also show you a map for it. It might be because I haven't played a lot of VNs, but I found Akai Ito's branching to be a lot more cohesive than some others where I couldn't for the life of me figure out what flag triggered such a response. For a feel on how the branch map looks like head here, which provides the conditions and thus, contains spoilers.

Character wise, they are all very very likable. So much so that it is very hard to pick a favourite. There is also a sufficient amount of comedy in between the more serious sections. You also get some pretty good veteran seiyuu voicing the characters. Cast includes Matsuki Miyu, Minaguchi Yuko <3, Kugimiya Rie, Watanabe Akeno and Sanada Asami. Noto Mamiko's there too, but only as a side character.

The music is by MANYO, who also does Innocent Grey games. So it is of course excellent. The atmosphere though. Whoo. The atmosphere. It's one of those VNs where I would really recommend playing at night. It is not a murder horror like Kara no Shoujo but I still think it's best experienced at night. Definitely recommended for those who like a traditional Japanese feel. There's quite a bit of Japanese folklore involved, and there is an abundance of clever word play (pay close attention to the titles of each chapter and ending).

Having played more VNs and going back to Akai Ito, only then did I notice that Akai Ito has semi-animated standing art for its characters. It's not like they're moving around, but their eyes blink and their lips sync in timing to the things they say. It's not a big deal but I think it is one thing that really adds to the experience. The characters have quite a lot of expressions.

Akai Ito does have the "problem" that Yuuichi described in spoiler tags as it takes place over
around 4 days
. I put "problem" in quotes as, in this case, it's not so much a problem as it could be for others as it is not a romance VN and some of the characters start out already acquainted with the MC. So, the relationships are somewhat more believable.

TL;DR
Akai Ito is my GOAT. Try it.

Top Bottom