• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Shoyz

Seems like nearly every Japanese release doesn't allow it, and while Miku does, the demo for Miku doesn't. Monster Monpiece doesn't. US release of Let's Fish doesn't. A few more I don't recall.

VanWinkle

I was looking at the PS4 interface images and I thought it would be really nice for Sony to revamp the Vita interface into something like it. Would also give the Vita and PS4 some consistency across the devices.

Qwell

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded from a 16gb card to a 32gb card. Just waiting for my restore to finish so I can play some more Urban Trials. Still need to figure out how to manage my different games and stuff, like keep PS1 and smaller games on the 16gb and keep the big stuff for the 32gb?

Luckily I don't think everything I have will actually fill the 32gb so I'm good for a bit.

I was looking at the PS4 interface images and I thought it would be really nice for Sony to revamp the Vita interface into something like it. Would also give the Vita and PS4 some consistency across the devices.
God, I hope not. The less I see of awful "metro" interfaces on both websites and electronics, the better.

Anything is better than the Vita's bubble interface. I miss XMB.
Maybe it's just me being bitter and hating the metro look when it was first introduced to the world a few years back, and then everyone suddenly wanting to use it. I hate how websites look when they use it, I hate the Xbox dashboard, I hate the Windows phone interface, and I hate the new PS Store layout(a stretch). But at least it would provide more space compared to the current bubbles.

Also, congrats on membership.

Sol1dus

Stranger's Wrath HD disagrees.

That's a third person adventure game with first person combat. The Vita, with a properly marketed FPS that looks like Modern Combat is needed. I'd be down for a psmobile port of gameloft games (as long as I don't have to pay upwards of 400% of what they cost on iOS).

Edit: What are some games you guys are playing at the moment? I've been having fun with Castlevania:Symphony of the Night (my first time playing it) along with Rayman Origins.

That's a third person adventure game with first person combat. The Vita, with a properly marketed FPS that looks like Modern Combat is needed. I'd be down for a psmobile port of gameloft games (as long as I don't have to pay upwards of 400% of what they cost on iOS).
More games can't hurt. Downloadable at 10 bucks would be about right. Might open up the way for that former Bungie dude's mobile shooter.

SiDCrAzY

Edit: What are some games you guys are playing at the moment? I've been having fun with Castlevania:Symphony of the Night (my first time playing it) along with Rayman Origins.

Mostly Virtues Last Reward, mixed in with a little Urban Trials. Tried out COD:BLOPS, but stopped....

Non Vita:

3DS: Paper Mario: Sticker Star
PS3: Vanquish

OmegaZero

In case anyone cares: Ninja Gaiden Σ2+ JP Launch Trailer. At least if Google Translate is to be believed.

And here I was thinking we were talking about fun. :b
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Modern Combat series. There's just something about them that makes them less fun to play then even Resistance BS.
That being said, the polish is mostly there. It doesn't look or run too bad, and the latest one offered a fair amount of weapons and equipment. If it came to Vita, I wouldn't complain
or purchase it unless it made large improvements from it's predecessor

EDIT: Also, I am playing the hell out of Sony Smash Bros. Starting to use Radec now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I've been playing NFS:MW. I want to love it, but the driving controls just don't work for me. I prefer the more realistic GT driving over this. Maybe I need to give it more time...

E: How is GT for PSP?

Repost! I need a racer, preferably slightly more sim than arcade at the moment.

Ponn

Banned
What are some games you guys are playing at the moment? I've been having fun with Castlevania:Symphony of the Night (my first time playing it) along with Rayman Origins.

Vita: im always playing ToMB. ALWAYS. Other than that im in a Vita slump. Probably till Soul Sacrifice.

3Ds: Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem and oh yea Fire Emblem. KH 3D waiting in the wings.

Sol1dus

Isn't Killzone: Mercenary going to be the Vita's first awesome FPS?

Yeah, I'm super excited for it. I'm just saying that more (easy) ports wouldn't hurt the fanbase as long as they were done well.

Ponn01 is that your psn id? I always log in weekly to ToMB to win my medals and moonay. :p

SiDCrAzY I'm also playing Vanquish (bought it a couple of months ago) and I'm having a blast with it. After it I'll be playing Binary Domain, which is another great 3rd person shooter.

DiscoJer

Repost! I need a racer, preferably slightly more sim than arcade at the moment.

Do you have GT4? It's like that, only with fewer cars on the track. And instead of having a career mode where you do cups and upgrade cars, you simply drive stock cars on races you pick.

New cars are random every day. You have to buy them with the money from the races you win. And again, since there are no cups with bonus prices or free cars, this generally consists of getting the fastest car possible (ZR-1 for me) and doing the test track repeatedly to get enough credits to buy more cars.

It's still a good game because it's fun to drive the cars around the track, but at the same time, not being to modify them sucks. And you have to be self motivated, since you are creating all the events.

So much wasted potential. I guess we won't see a Vita GT either. Maybe EA will port Real Racing 3. (Okay, probably not even that)

Don't worry, we have lots of games developed at 24 hour game jams coming to PS Mobile.

Like Nunnageddon. And Ahoy

And student developers are on board, too.

WORLDTree

Looking that way so far. Impressions are mostly glowing, but I'm still worried about the weak multiplayer and shoehorned melee touch controls.

Shadowgun on Vita would be the tits by the way.

Most definitely, hopefully with Sony taking more initiatives to get indies onto the Playstation ecosystem, we'll start seeing more of the high-end mobile games pop up on Vita as well considering most indies have given very positive feedback on working with the Vita and are interested enough to give "Yeah, we'll think about it!" versus "Not viable/No intention/lolnope"

SiDCrAzY

SiDCrAzY I'm also playing Vanquish (bought it a couple of months ago) and I'm having a blast with it.

Yeah same here, though it feels like I'm playing Gears of War(japanese edition) sometimes lol.

Edit: @Leona, Not a big fan of Shadowgun, feels lifeless.

Sol1dus

Most definitely, hopefully with Sony taking more initiatives to get indies onto the Playstation ecosystem, we'll start seeing more of the high-end mobile games pop up on Vita as well considering most indies have given very positive feedback on working with the Vita and are interested enough to give "Yeah, we'll think about it!" versus "Not viable/No intention/lolnope"

Sony just needs to give a little incentive, perhaps just throw some devkits their way. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a little more attention, especially when we're gobbling up whatever they throw at us. I mean, I even bought Resistance. RESISTANCE!

Edit: How long does it take for Sony to pay up for the referral program?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Woke up in the middle of the night and cant fucking sleep. Going to take a look at Escape Vektor and Hustle Kings. Toma impressions incoming.

Bullza2o

I finally purchased a PS+! I really hope it's worth the 18 months.

So I downloaded all 6 free games, but I couldn't fit 2 of them in my 16GB card. I basically reserved them to be downloaded even after the games get replaced, right?

SiDCrAzY

So I downloaded all 6 free games, but I couldn't fit 2 of them in my 16GB card. I basically reserved them to be downloaded even after the games get replaced, right?

As long as they are on your downloads list that fine, you can redownload whenever as long as you have your PS PLUS sub, even after the games get replaced.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Yeah, you need to "purchase" them for free once. Then they'll be forever yours as long as you are subscribed to PS+ (or resub later).

Escape Vektor impressions still coming,a tad long unfortunately.

Bullza2o

As long as they are on your downloads list that fine, you can redownload whenever as long as you have your PS PLUS sub, even after the games get replaced.

Alright thanks.

I have a feeling the next Game replacing NGS+ will be Unit 13. I hope it's VLR, RO, MGS, or LBP. C'mon SCEA copy EU!

Sol1dus

So I traded in Mario 3D and NSMB2 to get some money for a 32gb Memory Card. Got $51 which isn't bad at all. Should I wait a couple more weeks or just pull the trigger and get it at the end of this week?

Toma

So I traded in Mario 3D and NSMB2 to get some money for a 32gb Memory Card. Got $51 which isn't bad at all. Should I wait a couple more weeks or just pull the trigger and get it at the end of this week?

Whats the price you can get one for? I faintly remember someone saying Bestbuy has a good US deal? If you can grab one now for <$60, there really isnt a reason to wait. If you can only get it at full retail price, you might as well wait a few weeks for a 10-15$ off promotion somewhere.

Sol1dus

Whats the price you can get one for? I faintly remember someone saying Bestbuy has a good US deal? If you can grab one now for <$60, there really isnt a reason to wait. If you can only get it at full retail price, you might as well wait a few weeks for a 10-15$ off promotion somewhere.

Well the $51 are tied down at gamestop, meaning I'll get it there. And they're selling it for the usual $89.

Edit: $99...*welp*

Toma

Well the $51 are tied down at gamestop, meaning I'll get it there. And they're selling it for the usual $89.

Edit: $99...*welp*

Hm, not sure what the track record of GS regarding price drops or promotion on those cards is :( Probably not too good. Considering the money is locked to GS, you might as well get the card now then if no one else tells you to wait for a GS promo.

Sol1dus

Hm, not sure what the track record of GS regarding price drops or promotion on those cards is :( Probably not too good. Considering the money is locked to GS, you might as well get the card now then if no one else tells you to wait for a GS promo.

Ill sell off my 16gb and 8gb in the buy sell thread and ill have more than enough money then to buy it.

Toma

Alrighty, Escape Vektor impressions:
E85QxDZ.jpg
Its a pretty fun game overall. I am a bit surprised to see that my initial impressions werent all that wrong. It feels like a spacey and more complex Pacman-style game to me. You run on lines to improve your score, all the while eating, err... I mean bombing enemies if they cant be avoided. The overall style of the game actually looks pretty decent and fits the tone of the game well. If I am honest here, I didnt like the style too much based on the videos I've seen before, but it grew pretty fast on me. I was also surprised to see that there is actually a story that ties together the levels, meaning the levels dont feel like they are only being strung together for the hell of it, although the story definitely is not one of the games selling points as it is rather generic so far. Considering the tone of the story, graphical style and decent music, I am getting a bit of a tron vibe here, which is rather neat (although I wish it had more different tracks).

Some minor things the game does very right:
- Live Area (that screen you see between clicking on a bubble and starting up a game) integration is one of the best on the system so far. It shows your current progress, ingame trophy status and the last lines of story dialog. More developers should make me WANT to look at this screen and make it a dynamic representation of your progress. A+ for the dev in that regard.
- UI and style fits really well for the game. The simplicity bothered me a bit at first, but it actually suits the game really well.
- Progression is measure in the upgrade level of the main character of the story (Vektor, ver 3.14), which is admittedly just a small touch, but pretty neat.
- Overworld, which basically serves as a level hub, actually makes this game more enjoyable for me. You can finish additional challenges in a level to unlock additional secret levels. Finishing those might net you access to additional secret areas or Mario style short cuts to other worlds. Pretty nifty and actually makes you interested in stepping through a warp gate to see where it leads.
- Technical obstacles, like switches that may deactive barriers or activate enemy spawns. This is a pretty interesting addition since it makes you feel like you are controlling the level a bit, instead of only reacting to what happens. Also fits really well with the theme of the game.
- Lots of space to improve once you finish a level. If you end up liking this game, you'll be busy for ages platinuming (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) every single level. Most of those will ask you to prepare your way through the level very carefully, making it a reflex AND intelligence based puzzle game.

Some minor (?) things the game does very wrong:
- Loading times, although I might seem a bit too harsh on the game for that, starting or restarting a level takes about 7 seconds, which is just a tiny bit too long for a game with such a high focus on highscore gaming.
- Honest question for others playing it: Wtf is the point of Wild Cards? Its basically a score double card that you get for beating an earlier score of yours. Once used it doubles your score and the card disappears. However, those cards are imperative to reach Platinum scores, which means you need them in EVERY level for highscore play later. If you already created WC scores on all levels and then run out of these WC, you are basically shit out of luck and cant improve any of your scores. Wtf were they thinking?
- Replaying earlier levels is a bit annoying due to the overworld hub, which means you need to travel along the whole path, to arrive at an earlier level. This is a bit remedied by the fact that you can just tap on a level you want to access, but unfortunately, there is no zoom out button in the overworld screen, which means it still takes a while to get back from the first to the last world. Not sure why you cant just switch to the world before by pressing L or something.
- While talking about zoom, you can actually zoom out within a level to allow for proper judgement of the level situation (especially with enemies that have random movement). Unfortunately, you need to hold down R for that, which basically means you sometimes hold R down for 3 minutes instead of just having R trigger the zoomed out state. That button input seems a bit pointless to me. I'll play it zoomed out most of the time.
- It doesnt explain some things very well (if at all). What are the stars on the levels for? Some level I got Bronze trophies in have a star, others dont. Whats the deal?

Overall its a rather good game that does some things really well, and fails monumentally on others. If there is no endgame way to get an infinite amount of wild cards, this actually completely breaks the highscore nature of the game for those planning of squeezing every inch out of their scores. That is a huge, huge, huge minus. Someone who finished it please verify or correct this statement for me. If it wasnt for that, or if you dont care about optimising a level to perfection, this game definitely could be rated as 7 or even 8. Even with that caveat in mind however, even finishing all the normal and secret levels will probably take you a while since the difficulty ramps up quite a bit. The overworld hub with secret areas, additional tools and traps in levels, bombs and speed up mechanics making this game feel surprisingly deep and therefore gets a thumbs up from me (with the aforementioned caveat). Unfortunately, that caveat is also keeping me from giving it a universal Vita game recommendation so far, as I really fear it might break the highscoring aspect.

kiyomi

I love Toma impressions!

Is there any friend leaderboard integration? Although that might be a moot question considering the oddities of getting high scores by the sounds of it.

Takao

Banned
Sony just needs to give a little incentive, perhaps just throw some devkits their way. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a little more attention, especially when we're gobbling up whatever they throw at us. I mean, I even bought Resistance. RESISTANCE!

Sony gave free devkits to a indie once.

They canceled their game once early Vita sales were in.

Modern Combat 4 gets a no from Takao, yet its a (WAYY) better game than all of the FPS games found on the Vita thus far.

You make it sound like I'm defending the work of Nihilistic. I never have.

true Gek

what in the freaking hell? you need to shut down Wifi to get more of GPU power.

What was Sony thinking when they designed Vita? this is a serious and huge design flaw and no wonder that multiplayer games look like crap (Resistance,COD)and we get 4/8 players only.

this is a huge disaster,it mean ports and multiplayer games will sucks and be gimped forever on the damn thing. What is wrong with Sony engineers? I'm seriously thinking of selling my Vita right now because this is a permanent design flaw and will effect all future games.

smh

Wipeout doesn't look like crap in MP honestly...

Top Bottom