• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr The Viking - "Hardcore 16bit action" (Kickstarter - Funded: $39,965)

Status
Not open for further replies.
112 minutes to go , and we're only $10,000 away! Now's your last chance to upgrade your pledge to get more swag. Or to get that sweet arcade machine :)

61a97397e79159667fdcd28b88dacac3_large.jpg

Me, I'm getting the wall poster and the fake Genesis cart

b23c97c5b3ae91b9485ff466d362457e_large.jpg

Rubikant

I'm confused, the subject of this thread has been changed to say LAST DAY but the top of the first post still says 29 days remaining and only $9k pledged so far. Did someone else edit the thread name instead of pa22word? Like a mod or something?

Anyway down to half an hour, looks like going to end at around $39.7k, or 220% of goal!

I'm confused, the subject of this thread has been changed to say LAST DAY but the top of the first post still says 29 days remaining and only $9k pledged so far. Did someone else edit the thread name instead of pa22word? Like a mod or something?

Anyway down to half an hour, looks like going to end at around $39.7k, or 220% of goal!

I don't think normal thread starters have the power to edit titles at all. It HAS to be done by a mod.

duckroll

Well, it's a little unfortunate that the 50k Stretch goal won't be met, but I hope you guys have enough funds to make nice improvements on the base game as it is. Maybe the expanded game can come later as DLC?

Either way, it's good to have a retro action game funded where the creators are attentive to the needs of the fanbase! Congrats! :)

Rubikant

Well, it's a little unfortunate that the 50k Stretch goal won't be met, but I hope you guys have enough funds to make nice improvements on the base game as it is. Maybe the expanded game can come later as DLC?

Either way, it's good to have a retro action game funded where the creators are attentive to the needs of the fanbase! Congrats! :)

Thanks!

Since it was such a well-liked idea we haven't given up on the possibility of the alternate paths system, we just need to re-evaluate how we can do it on budget and if it will still be worth doing (if it turns out it will be lame staying within budget we'd rather not do it at all though).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Remind me how this whole "stretch goal" thing works, exactly... does the fact that you didn't reach the stretch goal mean you only get the original $18k, or do you get the entire amount regardless?

They get the whole amount. With Kickstarter, as long as you make your minimum, you get every dollar that was pledged (and you can do whatever you want with the extra money). See, stretch-goals aren't officially a part of Kickstarter, it's just something a lot of projects do on their own to improve their product (since the product is meant to sell a lot more than just the Kickstarter rewards, the better they can make it, the better their chances of making good money in the end).

duckroll

Some awesome official Alpha gameplay has been uploaded!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXqql4h1DCE

I really like how the Alpha gameplay looks. The backgrounds are still the worst thing about the game, but seeing a complete gameplay level puts a lot of things into perspective. The actual mechanics seem rock solid, as does the level design. It looks fun to play, and challenging without feeling like bullshit. The game seems to make the player feel fairly powerful, while the enemies are mostly "weak", but that false sense of security is what usually fucks players up when they lose focus. Which is what platforming action should really be all about anyway. Awesome music too.

Looking forward to the final product.

I like it a lot, especially since it's in Alpha. The mechanics look darn robust, and the level design seems to provide interesting opportunities for arrow platforming and fresh enemy patterns. It's got a buildup of complexity that seems natural, sensible, and puts other elements like the backgrounds and score to shame. Some of the other stuff needs work, but seeing a full level makes me feel better. Even the main path of Volgarr's going to give me some work.

Thank you for the footage, Crazy Viking!

Ziophaelin

Glad you guys like the footage.

I will try to do better with the backgrounds. That is, after I go cry on my dog and then kick him for allowing me to have such a shameful failure.

:p

(Seriously, let me know what you would like to see more of for the BG's and I will try to incorporate it in the future)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom