• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr The Viking - "Hardcore 16bit action" (Kickstarter - Funded: $39,965)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SriK

So if I'm understanding what you posted right, I'd essentially need to get the right gear item on the first level, play through it from that point without getting hit, get the "Warrior Spirit" item at the end, and then I can play through the special level set on a start total of 3 lives (gaining an extra life at the end of every level, plus hidden ones if I find any)? That's probably how I'd approach playing this, if I'm getting everything correct. It seems like a decent enough compromise right now (even though I'd like the option to just ignore the infinite lives stuff entirely, but I understand you don't want to do that), but hopefully it doesn't end up making you guys spread your ideas for level designs twice as thin (and ideally I'd like all the coolest stuff to be on the special path, lol.) Either way, this type of design is still a lot more sensible than what I've seen in other recent Western attempts (VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, et al. which play like uglier versions of Super Mario World with blander level designs while I'm pressing save/load state on BSNES every 6 seconds.) Just have to wait for footage of a full level or something now, I guess.

Also, regarding the soundtrack snippet posted on the Kickstarter page, the orchestral instrumentation doesn't seem like it wouldn't fit well with a "16-bit"-esque art style (even with bigger sprites.) FM synthesis or something similar might fit better, but it's perfectly understandable if the soundtrack guys don't want to do that/it's too late to change.

Also, regarding the soundtrack snippet posted on the Kickstarter page, the orchestral instrumentation doesn't seem like it wouldn't fit well with a "16-bit"-esque art style (even with bigger sprites.) FM synthesis or something similar might fit better, but it's perfectly understandable if the soundtrack guys don't want to do that/it's too late to change.

Eh? You must be thinking of 8-bit, 16-bit had both large sprites and orchestra-sounding music. Check out this video of Actraiser, and here's Super Ghouls and Ghosts, and Super Castlevania IV.

Antiochus

Apparently not even video games are immune from the coming juggernaut of 90's nostalgia and retromania that arguably already infiltrated movies, television, and music.

This isn't just some retro call-back that's otherwise lacking in imagination. Völgarr's been well-thought-out for the most part, and I'm trusting the developers and their ability to craft a robust side-scrolling action game. They're making an arcade game for a modern audience, and they know what they're doing.

—Do they?

Tain

Apparently not even video games are immune from the coming juggernaut of 90's nostalgia and retromania that arguably already infiltrated movies, television, and music.

There's been about a half-decade of shitty pandering throwback games that you might have missed. This looks like it can rise above those.

wow, this looks incredible. but what's the DRM situation/plan? I see a few references to steam on there, trying to get on steam. and that's definitely not something I'd back or would want to buy.

but then it says DRM free on the mega drive special edition usb thing. bu bu. could one of the devs on here clarify, Ziophaelin/Rubikant?

anyway. 2k left for the goal, plenty of time to fly past, and the sky is the limit.. need some valhalla setting levels and ragnarok battle expansion. hehe.

Yay I am hoping it looks like this at the end of the day? nah I am just messing around but it would be cool.

weaponlord_club.gif

Rubikant

Hey check it out! If you go to the root http://www.kickstarter.com and click on Games on the list to the right, it pops up with Volgarr today :).

Also, we have posted the stretch goal we talked about, thanks much for helping us polish it and convincing us it actually was a good idea!

EDIT: Wow it now goes to another game, never mind then, I thought that was a special spotlight thing but it was only there for about an hour.

Rough calculation: at a rate of 5 days to reach $16k (assuming rate's constant), that makes $80k by the end of the pledge period. Not counting any tapering off after the stretch goal's been met, nor any other variables. Progress is looking good at the moment.

SriK

Eh? You must be thinking of 8-bit, 16-bit had both large sprites and orchestra-sounding music. Check out this video of Actraiser, and here's Super Ghouls and Ghosts, and Super Castlevania IV.

Listen to the music on the Kickstarter page (or a real orchestra, for that matter), then listen to those. Sounds significantly more synthesized, doesn't it? And the more synthesized sound also fits better with the graphical style than if a real orchestra had been recorded and played over the same levels. Anyway, the point is that FM instruments are the best and I love heavy bass/cool-sounding trumpets and strings.

Antiochus said:

"Not even"? Movies seem to be going for more 1920s nostalgia pandering recently BTW (see Hugo, The Artist.)

Des0lar

will learn eventually
wow, this looks incredible. but what's the DRM situation/plan? I see a few references to steam on there, trying to get on steam. and that's definitely not something I'd back or would want to buy.

but then it says DRM free on the mega drive special edition usb thing. bu bu. could one of the devs on here clarify, Ziophaelin/Rubikant?

anyway. 2k left for the goal, plenty of time to fly past, and the sky is the limit.. need some valhalla setting levels and ragnarok battle expansion. hehe.

Most gaming kickstarters release a Drm-free version of their game as well as giving customers a Steam redeemable key if the game makes it into Steam. Best of both worlds.

wondermega

that's great you guys got funded! In no time at all, even--

I have been super-waffling about setting up a kickstarter campaign for my own retro-themed game; given what a lot of people's attitudes have been lately I was thinking that the trend was on a serious down slope for these types of projects.. looks like it is still a good time to get involved however. Inspiring - good luck with your game, bring on the stretch goals!

Ziophaelin

Physical copies will not have DRM.

Honestly Taron and I are still trying to figure out the rest. When we know we will be sure to fill you guys in. We will do everything we can to make sure people are happy with distribution.

Congrats on the funding! Now on to stretch goal...4 people need to pledge for arcade machines :)

Listen to the music on the Kickstarter page (or a real orchestra, for that matter), then listen to those. Sounds significantly more synthesized, doesn't it? And the more synthesized sound also fits better with the graphical style than if a real orchestra had been recorded and played over the same levels. Anyway, the point is that FM instruments are the best and I love heavy bass/cool-sounding trumpets and strings.

But FM Synthesis, which I agree is great, isn't 16-bit. And if a Conan the Barbarian game had come out on Turbografx CD or Sega CD, you can be sure that the music would have sounded exactly like this.

Congrats on the funding! Now on to stretch goal...4 people need to pledge for arcade machines :)

I wish I had the money to pledge for a cab.

But FM Synthesis, which I agree is great, isn't 16-bit. And if a Conan the Barbarian game had come out on Turbografx CD or Sega CD, you can be sure that the music would have sounded exactly like this.
No. FM synthesis is a general form of electronic sound manipulation that was used during the 16-bit era. Sure: the SNES used wavetable manipulation first and foremost, the PC Engine and other systems had more advanced PCB usage, and the CD-based platforms had CD-quality music. But the Mega Drive was around for a long time, and so was the 2612 chip. Tain and SriK both have a valid desire for FM-synth music for this game. It's got a special sound that you can't get with other sound chips, one I also happen to like.

Genji

Ran into these guys at the Seattle Indie Expo today and both of them were awesome to talk to. Taron took time out (15-20 minutes) to explain their custom engine and why he went with DirectX. He also showed off some of their internal art and development tools. Was interesting to see how they tested various game play elements. Got a chance to play the demo level and overall liked the feel of the controls and the smoothness of the animation.

Backed and hope they hit their stretch goals!

No. FM synthesis is a general form of electronic sound manipulation that was used during the 16-bit era. Sure: the SNES used wavetable manipulation first and foremost, the PC Engine and other systems had more advanced PCB usage, and the CD-based platforms had CD-quality music. But the Mega Drive was around for a long time, and so was the 2612 chip. Tain and SriK both have a valid desire for FM-synth music for this game. It's got a special sound that you can't get with other sound chips, one I also happen to like.

I'm not saying it's a bad sound, I particularly love chiptunes. But the person said that because the game had a 16-bit style to its artwork, then anything other than FM Synthesis would be wrong, because it "doesn't sound 16-bit". And that's just not the case, plenty of games in the 16-bit era used no synthesis at all. That era was not personified by FM Synthesis; the 8-bit era was.

Regardless, according to the Kickstarter website:
Kickstarter said:
Even though Volgarr looks and feels like a game from the past, we don't believe it has to sound like one. After all, the games we are most inspired by are known for using the bleeding edge of sound technology at the time and delivered some really epic soundtracks! We want to do the same.

That era was not personified by FM Synthesis; the 8-bit era was.
None of the console systems of the 8-bit era had built-in FM-synth sound systems. You could acquire add-on chips to be used for certain games (e.g. Mark III FM chip), but that was about it. And Japanese home computers were, by the late-'80s, based around 16-bit chips and using FM-synth systems everywhere.

So yeah.

so the Kickstarter page says it's at 19k now, congrats guise! (& time to update op) Loved Shinobi on 3DS & loved the Volgarr main theme, hoping u best of luck!

Rubikant

Ran into these guys at the Seattle Indie Expo today and both of them were awesome to talk to. Taron took time out (15-20 minutes) to explain their custom engine and why he went with DirectX. He also showed off some of their internal art and development tools. Was interesting to see how they tested various game play elements. Got a chance to play the demo level and overall liked the feel of the controls and the smoothness of the animation.

Backed and hope they hit their stretch goals!

Oh hey, were you the guy I was showing Promotion to? Thanks for stopping by to check out the game and chat with us!

so the Kickstarter page says it's at 19k now, congrats guise! (& time to update op) Loved Shinobi on 3DS & loved the Volgarr main theme, hoping u best of luck!

Thanks!!

pa22word

WOW this project has really taken off since I left for my work and coffee binge!!

In otherwords: been busy, but updated OP coming very soon :D!!!

The other day they posted a new video for Volgarr, starting to reveal the unannounced game mechanics. The developers deem these as spoilers, as part of the fun of those old games was discovering all the mechanics yourself, but I think it's fine watching the one they posted, showing how the shield works, as an extra taste - it shows some of the detail and thought that went into the game.

Update with Shield Mechanics video

Come on people, pledge for this, I want those branching levels from the $50,000 goal! We're currently at $23,732, so we've got a ways to go.

Rubikant

The other day they posted a new video for Volgarr, starting to reveal the unannounced game mechanics. The developers deem these as spoilers, as part of the fun of those old games was discovering all the mechanics yourself, but I think it's fine watching the one they posted, showing how the shield works, as an extra taste - it shows some of the detail and thought that went into the game.

Update with Shield Mechanics video

Come on people, pledge for this, I want those branching levels from the $50,000 goal! We're currently at $23,732, so we've got a ways to go.

Just posted another one today that reveals a special attack:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking/posts/283489

EDIT: And a video from our sound guy: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking/posts/283816

jarosh

That era was not personified by FM Synthesis; the 8-bit era was.

You couldn't be more wrong. Are you sure you fully understand what FM synthesis is?

I'm not familiar with any 8-bit console that popularized FM. There's the Master System with its very limited FM chip that didn't produce anything worth listening to; no one holds that system's sound output dearly, trust me. Outside of that nothing comes to mind. Surely you didn't think the NES used FM synthesis?

Anyway, considering the popularity of the Genesis and its almost exclusive reliance on a (quite decent) FM chip and the Neo Geo (also using a Yamaha FM chip), along with a whole range of different 16-bit arcade boards that rely on FM synthesis, it should become clear that the 16-bit generation really *was* the era of FM. It most certainly wasn't the 8-bit era. Associating 16-bit games with FM synth sounds is only natural.

You couldn't be more wrong. Are you sure you fully understand what FM synthesis is?
Most people don't. They just like to call Mega Drive music "robot farts", which is usually what bad Mega Drive sound programming sounds like. Of course, though, most people associate FM-synth music with 16-bit PCBs and console hardware. They wouldn't think twice about that.

Beepos

As a fan of 16-bit games and GnGs being one of my childhood games of forever I just had to pledge. Congrats on your goals I hope you make an awesome side-scrolling experience!

Ziophaelin

Do you guys have any plans to release tools for modders? I'd be interested in playing around with the engine when the game releases.

Best of luck! I really like how the game is shaping up and I'm glad to see the kickstarter reached the initial goal.

Good article.

Not on this particular title, not because we can't it just takes a really long time to do right. Which comes down to money and boring stuff. I would like to one day on a future project.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I really hope you guys manage to hit the stretch target. Now that you've outlined the branching paths system I can't imagine the game without it.

$16,200 to go for the stretch goal, we can do it! Branching paths vastly increasing the amount of content in the game without making a single playthrough too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom