• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart smackdown: 1.6 million current and former female workers sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Wal-Mart case a certified class action

Sex discrimination case against No. 1 retailer will cover 1.6M current and former female workers.
June 22, 2004: 10:18 AM EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Shares of Wal-Mart fell Tuesday after a federal judge certified a class action suit against the company, which alleges that the world's biggest retailer discriminated against women.

Wal-Mart (WMT: down $0.85 to $54.08, Research, Estimates) shares dropped about 1.4 percent in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs said it was the largest civil rights class action case in U.S. history.

U.S. District Court Judge Martin Jenkins certified the class of some 1.6 million women who worked for Wal-Mart's U.S. stores at any time since Dec. 26, 1998, attorneys for the six lead plaintiffs said.

The lawsuit, filed in 2001, accuses the largest U.S. private-sector employer of discriminating against women employees in pay, promotions and training, and retaliating against those who complained.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman was not immediately able to comment on the decision, which was released Tuesday.

Wal-Mart has previously denied a pattern of discrimination and argues that the number of men in management positions reflects the higher number of applications it receives from men.

"Up until now, Wal-Mart has never faced a trial like this," Brad Seligman, lead attorney for the six women plaintiffs, said in a statement. "Lawsuits by individual women had no more effect than a pinprick. Now, however, the playing field has been leveled."

Legal experts have said that settling the case could cost Wal-Mart hundreds of millions of dollars or even into the billions. Most large class-action lawsuits in the United States are settled before they go to trial.

Pimpwerx

I only hate Walmart b/c they censor their music, and I unwittingly bought a few albums that turned out almost completely worthless after the hacking. There's not much left in a Biggy song once you cut out the cusswords. :rolleyes: But I guess they deserve to crash and burn if they're really discriminating. PEACE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pimpwerx said:
I only hate Walmart b/c they censor their music, and I unwittingly bought a few albums that turned out almost completely worthless after the hacking. There's not much left in a Biggy song once you cut out the cusswords. :rolleyes: But I guess they deserve to crash and burn if they're really discriminating. PEACE.

The censor the music they sell, or the music they play in their stores? If it's the former, then omgwtf!?!?

Phoenix

norinrad21 said:
These people are going to be set for life, i can see at least 5 million bucks each for everyone of them

Nah, it will get settled out of court for much less than that. Walmart will never go to court and let that happen. They'll pay everyone some one time token sum, promise to be good, promote some women through the ranks, do some community service and managerial training programs - and that's about it. Whatever the outcome it WILL sap Walmarts bottom line this year, so if you're an investor - its time to consider moving Walmart shares to HOLD status.

Pimpwerx

"The censor the music they sell, or the music they play in their stores? If it's the former, then omgwtf!?!?"

They censor the music they sell. Don't waste your time buying music from them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe they've changed recently as I haven't been in a Walmart in months. PEACE.

Phoenix said:
Nah, it will get settled out of court for much less than that. Walmart will never go to court and let that happen. They'll pay everyone some one time token sum, promise to be good, promote some women through the ranks, do some community service and managerial training programs - and that's about it. Whatever the outcome it WILL sap Walmarts bottom line this year, so if you're an investor - its time to consider moving Walmart shares to HOLD status.

Remember this folks, it's the start of the next big investment scandal.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just to crunch numbers.

That is just a little under 2% of the entire female US population. Pretty Crazy.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Pimpwerx said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe they've changed recently as I haven't been in a Walmart in months. PEACE.

No, they still do it. What's even worse is mistakenly buying one of their CDs at a recovery sales outlet like I did yesterday. Hopefully, after I borrow a shrinkwrap machine, I'll be able to get my money back.

robochimp

norinrad21 said:
These people are going to be set for life, i can see at least 5 million bucks each for everyone of them

If by "everyone" you were referring to the six lawyers then you are correct

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If you are an adult female in the united states your are 2.8 more times likely to sue Wal*Mart than to contract HIV/AIDs.

about 2% of Women in the united states identify themselves Jewish, about 2% of the women in the united states are now suing Wal*Mart.

Illiteracy (3%) still edges out Suing Wal*Mart among women in the US.

1.6 Million Women are currently suing Wal*Mart, this is .2 million peopl more than the chain currently employs. (this is odd especially since the suit is retroactive to only 1998, perhaps reuters has its numbers fucked?)

(comparitive numbers collected from CIA world factbook, and business-wire)

scola said:
1.6 Million Women are currently suing Wal*Mart, this is .2 million peopl more than the chain currently employs. (this is odd especially since the suit is retroactive to only 1998, perhaps reuters has its numbers fucked?)

(comparitive numbers collected from CIA world factbook, and business-wire)

No. Wal-Mart is a revolving door company meaning it has high attrition. So it's possible.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
robochimp said:
If by "everyone" you were referring to the six lawyers then you are correct
lol pwned :)

also 1.6million plaintiffs x 5million dollars each = 8,000,000,000,000 USD. so yeah you figure out how plausible that is :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom