• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walton Goggins is starring with Danny McBride in HBO's Vice Principals [Trailer#4 up]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a massive fan of Danny McBride and Eastbound and Down in particular I am so in for this. Do we have a projected air date for this? This year?

not yet, i'm pretty sure Goggins is currently still working on Justified

but the cool thing is that the order is for 18 episodes, which is insane considering Eastbound seasons were 6-8 eps long, and I can't think of any other HBO shows that had anywhere near that many episodes except for Last Week Tonight

xenist

Son of a bitch. Never has a TV show gone from "I didn't know it was even a thing" to "Is it out yet?" so fast. Eastbound And Down + Goggins + Whigham? YES PLEASE!

i've only seen the first season :(

Disco wat r u doin. Fiinsh the rest if you have a chance. The dialogue is so good.

not yet, i'm pretty sure Goggins is currently still working on Justified

but the cool thing is that the order is for 18 episodes, which is insane considering Eastbound seasons were 6-8 eps long, and I can't think of any other HBO shows that had anywhere near that many episodes except for Last Week Tonight

18 episodes? Sounds like a 6 season order to me if recent TV trends are any indication.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Perhaps I will...

Got 1 more episode in season 6, then obviously season 7...it's been a pretty incredible ride so far.

Get ready for the most finely executed season finale in the history of ever.

The Shield had the perfect plot progression from start to end.

kaskade

I didn't know this was even a thing until now and I am so happy it is. Between this and the civil war trailer I'm having an overload of excitement.

diamount

Banned
Sounds like an ideal role, I don't think he is well suited to serious acting. But I've never watched The Shield so no idea how he was in that.

shamanick

aww.gif

can't wait

Sounds like an ideal role, I don't think he is well suited to serious acting. But I've never watched The Shield so no idea how he was in that.
He's great in The Shield but I much preferred Justified overall. Can't go wrong with either; Goggins is a top-tier dramatic actor. The man puts on clinics.

This looks fun though I can't help but feel the premise is better suited for a film rather than a series.

I watched the trailer a half hour ago, but I still have a stupid grin on my face. Looks like complete mayhem in the best way.

I vehemently disagree based on The Shield and Justified. He plays characters with a ton of personality, but it never comes off as overacting and he infused a lot of subtle notes into those roles that wouldn't work with other actors.

Pumped for this. Eastbound and down was fucking hilarious.

Also love goggins, man he really needs to be in more films. Was happy to see him in such a major role in hateful eight but that aint enough

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm so glad Goggins finally got a meaty comedic role for once. His timing and delivery are spectacular. And the trailer looks damn good.

Goggins is incredible in The Shield playing one of the most dramatic characters in TV history. He's also brilliant in Justified, even if his character is considerably more humorous there. The man has chops.

Dabanton

Yeah Goggins can do very serious stuff or the more comedic stuff like this.

I loved him when he showed up in Sons Of Anarchy, An interesting character that could have easily just been a punchline but he imbued his character with grace and pathos.

diamount

Banned
Okay guys, I'll take your word for that. He just chews up the scenery so much in Justified, and that's fine because that is how his character is.

Jarlaxle

I'm so on board for this. East Bound and Down is seriously some of the funniest shit I've ever seen. Adding Goggins to the mix? Sign me up!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah Goggins can do very serious stuff or the more comedic stuff like this.

I loved him when he showed up in Sons Of Anarchy, An interesting character that could have easily just been a punchline but he imbued his character with grace and pathos.

His character in Sons of Anarchy had much more meat, was much more nuanced and made much more sense than she had any right to in a show created by Kurt fucking Sutter.

They premiered the first two episodes a few weeks ago at SXSW, so here's a bunch of interviews and reviews:

- Collider: Danny McBride & Walton Goggins on Rooting for Bad Behavior in ‘Vice Principals’
- IndieWire: 'Vice Principals' Director David Gordon Green on How TV Isn't Different From Film at a Festival

- ScreenCrush review: A Very Worthy Successor to ‘Eastbound and Down’
Like Eastbound and Down, Vice Principals boasts a simple concept with absurdist, obnoxious characters and crass humor that pushes boundaries without ever sliding over into meanness and unpleasantry. Each of the two half-hour episodes screened at SXSW were relentlessly energetic and delightful, promising even better things to come. As lively as its predecessor, Vice Principals is an engaging, rowdy follow-up that finds similar comedic value in another familiar location. And while a school setting has been exhaustively mined for film and television for decades, the creative talent behind Vice Principals manages — unsurprisingly — to find something new and unexpected lurking in the halls.
- Collider review: ‘Vice Principals’: Danny McBride Returns to HBO as a Rowdy High School VP | SXSW 2016
Vice Principals’ sense of humor isn’t for everyone and after that rocky start, there is definitely some concern that the show might fall back on obnoxious and off-putting zingers. But, if things continue on the path that the second episode started, there’s a chance the show could wind up exploring some more appealing and interesting territory down the line.
- THR review
. More conventional than series creators McBride and Jody Hill's previous series Eastbound & Down (at least judging from the two episodes shown here), this return to HBO offers plenty of nasty laughs but not much for viewers to sink their teeth into.
- Austin Chronicle review
It never occurred to me to hope for Kenny Powers, because he was perfect the way God made him. But it’s fairly thrilling to be allowed to hope for these sad, monstrous, wonderful men: To watch them find whatever chaotic, wild, watch-it-burn brand of peace the world has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom