• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: North Korea has successfully produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead

Makonero

Well this is just fantastic. Good thing the US has a stable, even-handed diplomat at it's head--

oh wait, I'm in the trump timeline again, aren't I?

Shogun413

Damn that was faster than I would have predicted. I wonder how accurate their sources are and what information the analysts are basing it on. It will be interesting to see what Trump does.

Plum

Lets hope this is just flimsy info because... shit is going to get fucking terrible if it's true. Trump is not going to handle this well at all.

Welp. This means we're going to war, doesn't it?

Nope.

What it means is that North Korea will most likely be joining the other world leaders at future meetings, which is effectively all they ever wanted, validation.

Kim has zero interest in actual war. He just wants a seat at the big boy table.

Apharmd

Can we trust them? I mean, they've been wrong about Iraq having WMDs and all, right?

Hahahahahahahahahahafudgeeverything probably ends this year.

Sulik2

The world waited too long to deal with North Korea now you can't deal with them because they are a full nuclear power. Southeast Asia's geopolitical situation just got real unstable.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so they finally have a seat at the table. they'll still get slapped down diplomatically.

zVtSR1h.jpg

I should not be getting this much use out of this image.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Damn that was faster than I would have predicted. I wonder how accurate their sources are and what information the analysts are basing it on. It will be interesting to see what Trump does.
Yeah. Not shocked at the sudden acceleration as soon as Trump became president. Maybe it would have happened anyway, but I feel the lack of diplomatic capability, desire for war, and possibly help from a hostile force may have contributed.

Gin-Shiio

Nope.

What it means is that North Korea will most likely be joining the other world leaders at future meetings, which is effectively all they ever wanted, validation.

Kim has zero interest in actual war. He just wants a seat at the big boy table.

Thank you. I was about to type that word for word. There ain't no war coming, people. All of this is just political moves.

I'm preemptively telling people to sod off with he "let's sacrifice South Korea" talk.

The last few NK threads were real shitshows.

Yeah. Not shocked at the sudden acceleration as soon as Trump became president. Maybe it would have happened anyway, but I feel the lack of diplomatic capability, desire for war, and possibly help from a hostile force may have contributed.

The acceleration started before Trump (late 2015-2016)

I'm preemptively telling people to sod off with he "let's sacrifice South Korea" talk.

The last few NK threads were real shitshows.

People still don't grasp THE US WILL LIKELY GET HIT IN A WAR. There is no "over there" anymore

US civilians will die due to nuclear weapons if we go to war.

Never mind their cyber capabilities and numerous sleeper cells
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/world/asia/north-korea-cyber-sleeper-cells-ransomware.html

Also I'm not sure why some people on this board were so sure that they hadn't already. As far as I'm aware of, it's been a possibility that they had accomplished this for a year already.

West coast no longer best coast.

Though of course, there won't be a NK if they dare to even launch a nuke anywhere close to Hawaii or any stretch of the west coast.
Dear Leader is crazy, but I doubt he'd want to rule over a nuclear wasteland.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Nobody outside of political dick swingers wants war here. North Korea doesn't want to bring about the end of its existence. South Korea doesn't want to be decimated as "collateral damage." China doesn't want to deal with the fallout.

Let's not normalize the war talk.

Xando

Also I'm not sure why some people on this board were so sure that they hadn't already. As far as I'm aware of, it's been a possibility that they had accomplished this for a year already.

Not on ICBMs tho.

Until early this year the assessment was they are still 2-5 years away from a nuclear armed ICBM able to hit the US mainland.

That has changed now

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody outside of political dick swingers wants war here. North Korea doesn't want to bring about the end of its existence. South Korea doesn't want to be decimated as "collateral damage." China doesn't want to deal with the fallout.

That's for sure.

not taking out the North Korean government was a failure by all the previous administrations.

Jesus christ, War would have devastated SK and Japan.

There has never been a realistic premptive ability to stop NK, which would be immoral anyways. Never. Its why we signed the armistice in the first place, we couldn't win!
West coast no longer best coast.

Though of course, there won't be a NK if they dare to even launch a nuke anywhere close to Hawaii or any stretch of the west coast.
Dear Leader is crazy, but I doubt he'd want to rule over a nuclear wasteland.

They can hit the North East

Is it weird I'm more worried about what Trump is gonna do than what NK might do?

I mean, they're a murderous awful regime, but it's understandable WHY they want to have nuclear capabilities. It's about regime self-preservation.

All of this is true. But it's a bad time for the U.S. Department of State to be basically disintegrating. And for Donald Trump to be mashing his Twitter app with his fat fucking thumbs.

mreddie

tenor.gif

Best case scenario: Kim knows he's gonna get the whole world on his ass and will just want validation.

Worst Case: The shortest war in history and the worst refugee crisis ever.

Kensation

"We'll handle it. We'll handle it. We'll handle it. We'll handle it. We'll handle it. We'll handle it.We'll handle it. We'll handle it."

Top Bottom