• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

im hyped. but 20 months post production? why?

The movie was originally slated to be released in December of 2015 (summer was already far too crowded for an unproven property), but then Star Wars got delayed to December 2015. Since Legendary probably wants this movie to make at least a little bit of money, they moved it far away from Star Wars to March of 2016.

It does seem to be going against the trend to make this right now. Hobbit films are progressively losing steam, same with Wrath of the Titans, Narnia and so on.

It does seem to be going against the trend to make this right now. Hobbit films are progressively losing steam, same with Wrath of the Titans, Narnia and so on.

I think that has more to do with people being disappointed with these movies than a growing dislike for the genre.

For the record I like the Hobbit films.

zulfate

I'll be there day 1 but at the moment I don't know how it will be gritty but also be Warcraft. I also expect wow 2 will be announced when this releases.

Be interesting to see how they market it as there aren't any blockbuster type names attached. The franchise also doesn't have a lot of notable characters, at least none that stick out in the public consciousness except for maybe the Lich King.

Loxley

Be interesting to see how they market it as there aren't any blockbuster type names attached. The franchise also doesn't have a lot of notable characters, at least none that stick out in the public consciousness except for maybe the Lich King.

It'll be an up-hill battle for sure. I suppose, if nothing else, the film will probably get a small boost for being the first big blockbuster of 2016 before BvS hits.

Moon was such a good movie, its a shame Duncan Jones is working on something this scale. Still will see day one.

That will change once Blizzard drops the trailer for Titan... which is WoW 2... even though they said it wasn't.

I thought they trashed Titan? or was it just a COMPLETE rehaul after like 3 years of development.

I would be very surprised if this ends up being a hit with general audiences. I know nothing about warcraft, but by looks it seems very generic. Maybe the fans are enough to make it a success, though. I know there are millions of those.

The Comic-con Panel from this year really got me hyped for this movie the Avatar/Game of Throne approach intrigues me the most plus I'm looking forward to seeing what Duncan Jones can accomplish with a huge budget.

lazygecko

Edmond Dantès;125986391 said:
What kind of fantasy is Warcraft if you don't mind me asking? Any Tolkien elements? Inspired by Norse sagas? Didactic in nature? Magical elements? Grounded in reality?

Looks interesting.

iWydHmSRhQF8t.gif

It's just like a typical high fantasy D&D setting with bits of everything. There's classic medieval, norse, asian, steampunk, cosmic, etc.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Moon was such a good movie, its a shame Duncan Jones is working on something this scale. Still will see day one.

I thought they trashed Titan? or was it just a COMPLETE rehaul after like 3 years of development.

They rebooted development. I think they're redesigning the pricing structure of the game and how it works.

I'm sure the assets and core gameplay are probably going to stay relatively the same, whatever it was

Although that's going on the assumption they didnt just completely cancel it and decide to make them into a "small game dev" like they did for hearthstone

Loxley

I would be very surprised if this ends up being a hit with general audiences. I know nothing about warcraft, but by looks it seems very generic. Maybe the fans are enough to make it a success, though. I know there are millions of those.

Yeah, this whole film is one giant question mark at this point.

Loxley

For those of you who don't know anything about the Warcraft series but might be a little intrigued about the movie, I highly recommend you watch the cinematics Blizzard has created for the series from Warcraft 3-onward. If nothing else, it'll help give you a sense of tone that the film will likely be similar to. Plus, Blizzard's in-house CG is pure eye-candy.

In chronological order:

Warcraft 3 (2002)
Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne (2003)

World of Warcraft (2004)
WoW Expansions:
  1. The Burning Crusade (2007)
  2. Wrath of the Lich King (2009)
  3. Cataclysm (2010)
  4. Mists of Pandaria (2012)
  5. Warlords of Draenor (2014) (this one was just unveiled last week)

i thought this was going to be a fucking mess of shit from wow era warcraft

but if its just straight up orcs and humans

and if its mostly duncan jones and blizzard stays pretty hands off

i can actually see this being good

JJD

I always wondered why Blizzard didn't go full CG for the Warcraft movie...

They could maintain complete control of the production and their CG department is one of the best in the business.

Mocap some dudes if you want familiar faces.

I wonder if there is a market for CG movies aimed at the 15 - 30 male crowd. Beowulf and FF sucked and bombed but they were bad movies (not that I believe that a WC movie will be good).

Dawg

Here's a link to Duncan Jones' twitter - occasionally he'll post something Warcraft-related. The most recent one:

08W9vV4.jpg

Also, here's a new piece of concept art:

TpsVCBe.jpg

That looks like WoD (new expansion) art. Could be wrong.

I always wondered why Blizzard didn't go full CG for the Warcraft movie...

They could maintain complete control of the production and their CG department is one of the best in the business.

Mocap some dudes if you want familiar faces.

I wonder if there is a market for CG movies aimed at the 15 - 30 male crowd. Beowulf and FF sucked and bombed but they were bad movies (not that I believe that a WC movie will be good).

Well, their in-house CG team is very good at what they do but it's not like they make those incredible CG trailers out of thin air. It takes a lot of work to make a WoW cinematic and it's just five minutes long. Imagine how long it would take to make an entire movie like that. And I'm sure it would be very expensive as well.

Loxley

Yet another thing I completely forgot, IGN has a write-up of the footage shown off at Comic-Con:

Director Duncan Jones came to Comic-Con today to give fans a first look at the long-awaited Warcraft movie. Even though the movie doesn't come out until 2016 and only recently wrapped filming, Jones was able to bring some impressively finished-looking footage.

Jones said Warcraft chronicles how Azeroth falls into conflict between orcs and humans. That it's the origin story of Warcraft. He said the greatest technical challenge has been doing the set building and world building of a Lord of the Rings with the technology of an Avatar.

The main human character is portrayed by Vikings' Travis Fimmell. He has long brown hair and a beard and is garbed in black shining armor trimmed with gold. Pretty snazzy. We hear him speak about guarding his king and guarding his own family. He ponders whether he is strong or worthy enough. Likewise, his orc counterpart speaks of being a father and if he is up to the task. The point is that these two foes are more alike than they are different.

But the orcs' homeland has been destroyed and so he asks if war is the only answer now. We then see a slew of quick shots of the supporting cast, including a nefarious-looking Dominic Cooper, Ben Foster's mage casting a spell, and a green-skinned Paula Patton aggressively licking someone.

The orcs look great, very organic and real. The world also looks real and not simply like a CG-rendered realm. We get a sense of the different regions, from the desert wastelands to the wooded regions of the humans. As far as video game movies go, Warcraft certainly looks like the most ambitious and -- yes, I'll stick my neck out here -- the video game movie that may finally be an actual great movie.

Dawg

It's definitely from the film:

pAA3L3E.jpg

The thought of seeing the Dark Portal on the big screen makes me pretty damn excited.

I see. Kinda confusing with how the WoD trailer ended with construction work @ the Dark Portal and this art being quite similar :p

So where would the sequel go?
Warcraft 2 to expand upon the Alliance races like in the 2nd game, so that they in Warcraft 3 can go full hog and introduce Archimonde/Night Elves/Arthas/The Lich King/etc.

I wouldn't mind a new story though instead of retelling Warcraft 3 and lead up into WoW.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Warcraft 2 to expand upon the Alliance races like in the 2nd game, so that they in Warcraft 3 can go full hog and introduce Archimonde/Night Elves/Arthas/The Lich King/etc.

I wouldn't mind a new story though instead of retelling Warcraft 3 and lead up into WoW.

I think the mainline movies should just follow the progression of the games. If they do spin offs or something, whatever

The problem with video game movies is that they try to make their own story or have their own take on what is established. It just needs to be the same as much as possible

Loxley

I see. Kinda confusing with how the WoD trailer ended with construction work @ the Dark Portal and this art being quite similar :p

It's definitely very similar to the last shot in the WoD cinematic.

v8tEtZ9.jpg

Warcraft 2 to expand upon the Alliance races like in the 2nd game
, so that they in Warcraft 3 can go full hog and introduce Archimonde/Night Elves/Arthas/The Lich King/etc.

At this point that would probably make the most sense. I would be very surprised if they bother to establish any of the other races in this first film other than orcs and humans. If they can get audiences interested enough to warrant a sequel, then they can bring in the elves, dwarves, trolls and goblins.

-NeoTB1-

I'm... sort of hyped? I'm not gonna go into this with really high expectations, but it seems like it could be a lot of fun. I like the Warcraft universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom