• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knicks

They talked about this movie being made in 2008, that game has significantly declined since then. This movie will most likely bomb really hard in two years.

Ithil

So this is a live action movie? Or Avatar-type super mo-cap movie? It's gonna be weird seeing normal proportion humans/orcs. The models in the games are so massively bulky I dunno if it's gonna work live action.

It seems like it will be Avatar style 25-75 live action-CGI. Filming was only a few months but they have 20 months of post production so a crap ton of CG.

They talked about this movie being made in 2008, that game has significantly declined since then. This movie will most likely bomb really hard in two years.

Not if it's a competent well marketed fantasy film in its own right. It's not literally only WoW players who will watch it.

Kinyou

I have my doubts about how good this movie is going to be, but I'm just sort of happy that it's actually happening

Or it will release just in time for Warcraft 4!

Believe

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

i dont think the games success has much bearing on it. there are a lot of people who enjoy warcraft lore who are no longer able to put the time into MMOs.

fuzzyset

It's live action with CG, the Orcs in particular with a combination of guys in prosthetics/mo-cap suits + CG enhancements. Impressions from the Comic-Con footage gave indicated that the film does indeed look like Warcraft on the big screen without seeming ridiculous. Jones - himself a huge Warcraft fan - has been geeking out on twitter over the last couple of months whenever he visits ILM to see how the effects are turning out. He's been hyping up the quality of the orcs quite a bit in particular, apparently they're going to look like they're straight from Blizzard's cinematics (not his words exactly, but what I've gathered).

It seems like it will be Avatar style 25-75 live action-CGI. Filming was only a few months but they have 20 months of post production so a crap ton of CG.

Awesome, that gets my hype up a lot.

Loxley

There's a high chance we'll get to see some footage of Warcraft today during either the BlizzCon opening ceremony or the Warcraft movie panel. Will update the thread with anything that comes up.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jones - himself a huge Warcraft fan - has been geeking out on twitter over the last couple of months whenever he visits ILM to see how the effects are turning out. He's been hyping up the quality of the orcs quite a bit in particular, apparently they're going to look like they're straight from Blizzard's cinematics (not his words exactly, but what I've gathered).

Not to be dismissive on what Blizzard has done with CG, but I'd be insulted if I was at ILM and heard that. I'm sure they feel they could do even better. ;P

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There's a high chance we'll get to see some footage of Warcraft today during either the BlizzCon opening ceremony or the Warcraft movie panel. Will update the thread with anything that comes up.
ox3-anticipation-intensifies.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
- Film's aesthetic said to be a combination of "Avatar meets Game of Thrones" in terms of CGI-to-non-CGI

What the heck does that even mean? Hahaha.

Hyped for the composer. He makes good shit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
We're not getting any footage, are we.

KorrZ

Stopped playing WoW ages ago but I have always loved the Warcraft lore (well, the existing lore...most of the stuff from WoW onwards is medicore) really hyped to see this especially since it's taking place during Warcraft 1.

Warcraft: The Last Guardian was always my favourite Warcraft novel.

Nyanmaruz

Goddamn, I really want this movie to do good enough for sequels, but releasing it around the time Batman v. Superman is not going to be well =/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So far they seem to be missing one big actor/actress to market this movie a bit more. The over-the-top fantasy will make it a difficult sell. Still looking forward to it to some extent.

edit: The armors don't look worn enough:/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sounds surprising good.

The props shown seem to be cartoonish, but realistic enough.
The cast is pretty evenly distributed, so we may get the equal amount of Human vs Orc.
They choose probably the best way to start the franchise, with the more solid material

Loxley

Oh really? Didn't know he was in the movie. Any well known actress too?

According to Cavill, he was actually playing WoW when Zack Snyder called to offer the role of Superman to him - but he was in the middle of a dungeon and didn't answer his phone. When he saw who called, he freaked out and thought he'd lost the part, but Snyder called back ;)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No no, he's not in it.

I just suggested him.

Oh I see.

According to Cavill, he was actually playing WoW when Zack Snyder called to offer the role of Superman to him - but he was in the middle of a dungeon and didn't answer his phone. When he saw who called, he freaked out and thought he'd lost the part, but Snyder called back ;)

lol

Maybe they can get Shatner and Mr. T... (not really)

Wazzy

Banned
I want them to do everyone vs
Undead
but I know they would have to build up to that. :(

Either way, I'm pretty excited for this!

antonz

Lothar is a bit younger than I was expecting him to be but seems so far they have things in the right hands. Look forward to seeing this play out.

SolVanderlyn

I want them to do everyone vs
Undead
but I know they would have to build up to that. :(

Either way, I'm pretty excited for this!
If this one does well, maybe we'll see WC2 and WC3 made into movies as well.

The WC3 movie would get so much hype.

I'm not even a WoW or Blizzard fan and I'm kind of hyped for this. Can't wait to see some real footage though I imagine it will still be a while before we do. Maybe they could put out a teaser or test footage soon.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
What did the footage show, if you don't mind my asking?

Loathar and durotan. Several action scenes that displayed some of the magic and a gryphon dive scene. A couple of "large army" collision things

The extra stuff was of durotan and garona and she was pregnant. They showed a close up of durotan's face to show how they can show the orcs with emotions and stuff.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have an unreasonable amount of hope in this movie...

I love Duncan Jones' previous work, and everything they've said and shown looks dead-on. Like they're fucking going for it when it comes to the aesthetic, no compromises, and apparently Jones really brought some even ground to the story between the Alliance and Horde characters. It sounds like he gets what makes that universe interesting..

Loxley

I have an unreasonable amount of hope in this movie...

I love Duncan Jones' previous work, and everything they've said and shown looks dead-on. Like they're fucking going for it when it comes to the aesthetic, no compromises, and apparently Jones really brought some even ground to the story between the Alliance and Horde characters. It sounds like he gets what makes that universe interesting..

I think the movie panel this year did a lot to instill confidence in people that Warcraft was in the right hands and that the movie just might not suck. Everyone on stage seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the franchise and wanting to do right by it (Rob Kazinsky in particular was great).

I'm certainly seeing a lot more positivity towards the film than I did going into BlizzCon. Which is great to see as one of the eight people on GAF who has been open-minded about this project from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom