• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridli

Blegh. I wish this movie didn't have any power over me. But I see that Stormwind Shield and my hand starts tapping out the old 969 rotation involuntarily.

20 months is.. a long time. Gonna have to pace my personal hype.

Dawg

Does anyone know what happened to Colin Farrell's role in the movie? At one point, it seemed like his presence was a given but then they revealed the cast and his name wasn't on it.

Loxley

Does anyone know what happened to Colin Farrell's role in the movie? At one point, it seemed like his presence was a given but then they revealed the cast and his name wasn't on it.

I think it was just rumored that he was in talks for one of the main roles (possibly Travis Fimmel's). Anson Mount was also supposedly up for one of the main characters as well.

Loxley

Movie is being delayed, its not getting 20 actual months of post production work.

“Part of it is getting the date right. As you may have noticed, these next two years, there’s pretty big titles coming out. We wanted to make sure that we got that right, but there are some sequences and some things that Duncan Jones has done that are truly on the cutting edge. You want to have plenty of time to make sure that we dial those in. So by the time they get home and set up, it’ll be a little less than two years. It’ll be about 20 months but we really want to take our time and get this right because the technology that’s employed really is some next generation stuff.”

- Thomas Tull (Warcraft Producer and Legendary Pictures CEO)

I really don't know what to think of this. Warcraft is one of those franchises which contains a story and characters that I'm passionate about, and now it's being made into a movie for mainstream audiences.

Making it about the events of the first game is probably the best way to go. Lothar and Durotan should be good leads for their respective factions, good characters that people can get invested in.

I'll await more information. Still processing the fact that a Warcraft movie is actually coming.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Will be interesting to compare their work with ILM's.
Go get 'em, Xia.

While Blizzard does some awesome CG they don't have to worry about trying to blend in their renders with a live action setting while still look photorealistic, never mind doing enough shots to fill a 90-120+ min feature film at the same time.

Movie is being delayed, its not getting 20 actual months of post production work.

My guess is it's affected by post-production scheduling availability. ILM has a lot on their plate.

Sawneeks

Banned
I was talking to a friend earlier and we both agreed that if there is a video game movie to kick off good video game movies it's either going to be this or the Last of Us movie. My friend has no hope for either film but I'm cautiously excited for them, though I think this movie has a higher chance of being made well. The Warcraft universe has way more flexibility than the Last of Us.

Mupod

It's obviously planned to release in time to hype up WoW 2. Believe

I really don't know what to think of this. Warcraft is one of those franchises which contains a story and characters that I'm passionate about, and now it's being made into a movie for mainstream audiences.

Making it about the events of the first game is probably the best way to go. Lothar and Durotan should be good leads for their respective factions, good characters that people can get invested in.

I'll await more information. Still processing the fact that a Warcraft movie is actually coming.

I was honestly expecting them to just completely disregard the games and make some shit up, but I'm surprisingly okay with what they're going for based on what I know of the movie plot.

I'm assuming it'll be canon to the games moving forward. The first war is a swamp of retcons at this point and if the movie is intended to be blizzard's way of putting its foot down and saying 'this is how it went down' that's fine by me. And I was one of those guys who furiously thumped their WC1 and WC2 manuals whenever they pulled some dumb shit (like everything with Garona post-WoW)

Nerokis

I'm intrigued by the hype possibilities surrounding this movie. How it could be tied into new releases, in-game WoW events, and so on. I mean, imagine if they gave everyone a copy of Orcs & Humans with their ticket, announced in advance there'd be some huge game announcement post-credits, gave WoW players a title/pet/whatever for seeing the movie, or anything along these lines?

Seriously, the possibilities are endless. The potential for pandering to Blizzard fans is endless. Blizzard has an opportunity to innovate here!

And steampunk gnomes.

Steam punk gnomes with functioning teleporters, nuclear reactors apparently, and if I remember a particular quest (which was probably one of the funnest quests in the game ever) had you dealing with one of their unstable fusion reactors. I can't remember if they have computers and display screens too. Those lil fuckers sure are crafty. In some ways, their tech is primitive, and in others its way more advanced than what we've got currently.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I've been waiting for this for the past FOUR years.

UGHHH BLIZZARD GIVE ME A WoW MOVIE ALREADYYYYYYY. /whine

Looks like this is the Warcraft RTS story not WoW....which makes sense they built the world we farm in WoW through the RTS games and their little lore tomes that games. I hope some of Jason Hayes inspired music makes it to the film score even when working on lowly computer hardware his human and orc themes were so fitting for the world the writers/programmers and artists made. He also did the stormwind track in WoW so yes epic is his style.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I think the whole Arthas arch of WoW or I guess warcraft 3 would be a beautiful movie

I would of loved to watch the rise of the lich king

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think the whole Arthas arch of WoW or I guess warcraft 3 would be a beautiful movie

Yeah, I agree. I hope they make it that far if sequels end up being a thing.

I didn't realize the Moon director guy was handling this :eek:

I'm super-hyped for this!

8EJdOq0.gif

TheYanger

Eh, I think it's smarter to tell a story that is basically only fleshed out in novelization style storytelling. WC3's story has already been told in WC3 in a visual way, as much as it's not remotely the same it's still a lot closer. Playing WC1 gave no sense of the plot really, so this is all just stuff that most people only know about in the most ancillary way.

Skab

I think Clancy Brown is playing Lothar. Lothar was already an older man during the first and second wars, so it wouldn't make sense for them to de-age him that much.

Won

20 months? They are even worse than Blizzard and their content gaps!

Count me with the people who have no idea what to expect. No idea on its style, the quality or how the audiences will react to it. This will interesting one way or the other.

Loxley

I've come to the conclusion that Paula Patton will probably be playing Garona Halforcen. The description of the Comic-Con footage said she had green skin, and Garona is a prominent female orc at this point in the Warcraft timeline.

CpfEbZr.jpg

Using the first game as a reference and the lore which later expanded on it, these are the prominent characters we may see in the film (confirmed and un-confirmed). Although some of these characters will depend on whether or not the film covers the second war:

Humans
- Anduin Lothar - Either Travis Fimmel or Clancy Brown, depending on how young/old they want to skew the character. Either way, we know for sure Fimmel is playing one of the lead human characters.
- Medivh (Ben Foster)
- Turalyon
- Khadgar
- King Llane Wrynn I
- Prince Varian Wrynn
- King Terenas Menethil II

Orcs
- Durotan (Thrall's father)
- Draka (Maybe? If Durotan is in the film, then it's likely she will be as well since she's Durotan's wife).
- Orgrim Doomhammer
- Gul'dan
- Garona Halforcen (as mentioned above, probably Paula Patton)
- Blackhand
- Varok Saurfang

Mupod

Eh, I think it's smarter to tell a story that is basically only fleshed out in novelization style storytelling. WC3's story has already been told in WC3 in a visual way, as much as it's not remotely the same it's still a lot closer. Playing WC1 gave no sense of the plot really, so this is all just stuff that most people only know about in the most ancillary way.

And even if you were to go back and play it, most of the story is in the manual. Plus it's not like Starcraft with an overarching plot between the factions, it just has a human ending and an orc ending, the former of which is obviously not canon because that would've been the end of the series.

The thing that really blows my mind is how much Warcraft lore from WC3 onwards is directly based on the events of Beyond the Dark Portal. It introduced Deathwing, Ner'Zhul, Grom Hellscream, Outland etc. Plus it was so damn hard it leaves me wondering how many people ever even beat it.

Subitai

Again, pretty cool they're giving so much love to the Orcs.

I really hope the movie doesn't flop though for Universal, cause they can't afford it and there is so much more of the story to be told.

TheYanger

And even if you were to go back and play it, most of the story is in the manual. Plus it's not like Starcraft with an overarching plot between the factions, it just has a human ending and an orc ending, the former of which is obviously not canon because that would've been the end of the series.

The thing that really blows my mind is how much Warcraft lore from WC3 onwards is directly based on the events of Beyond the Dark Portal. It introduced Deathwing, Ner'Zhul, Grom Hellscream, Outland etc. Plus it was so damn hard it leaves me wondering how many people ever even beat it.

Beyond the Dark Portal was amazing. I definitely wonder how many ever played it that play wow, because you're right almost every big name they trot out came from WC3 or that. I distinctly remember Deathwing had the same hp as a Barracks :D Those campaigns were TOUGH. Then again they always taunt us with Alleria and Turalyon, would love to see some resolution :( She was so cool.

lazygecko

I've come to the conclusion that Paula Patton will probably be playing Garona Halforcen. The description of the Comic-Con footage said she had green skin, and Garona is a prominent female orc at this point in the Warcraft timeline.

The whole Garona thing is a mess. I wonder if they will double retcon the whole half-draenei retcon.

The more you know: Garona had a son with Medivh called Med'an. So he's part orc, part draenei, part human. And he's a master mage, shaman and paladin all at once, and "the chosen one", making him the most Mary Sue character in the entire Warcraft universe. I think Blizzard decided to just quietly shove him away after the exceedingly poor reception from the fanbase.

Edwardo

I hope we get to see some Varok Saurfang. I always thought of his as a badass whenever i'd see him chilling by the entrance or Org.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Beyond the Dark Portal was amazing. I definitely wonder how many ever played it that play wow, because you're right almost every big name they trot out came from WC3 or that. I distinctly remember Deathwing had the same hp as a Barracks :D Those campaigns were TOUGH. Then again they always taunt us with Alleria and Turalyon, would love to see some resolution :( She was so cool.

i finally beat it ...once and that was enough because i won by the smallest of possible margins it was like a movie ending.....

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
TBH I've never played WC3, just DotA, but I think the lore I'm familiar with is from the books. The books definitely have the story of orcs versus humans (I love Medivh and Durotan's backstory, and Draka is AWESOME.)

So, to me, everything is "WoW" lore, even if it's not contemporary WoW history.

...damnit this announcement is making me want to go back to WoW.

none of that happened in WoW its just warcraft lore, the big big draw for this game was many story lines that were developed in the past games would continue in WoW. Most didn't and the rest got the "has gone crazy and we must stop them" treatment though. Oh well they can do a WC4 and ignore the WoW impact. The world was fully developed when the MMO came out WoW has just become the moniker for all things warcraft.

strafer

Ramin Djawadi (composer for Game of Thrones and Pacific Rim) will score Warcraft. Obviously in a perfect world it would have been Russell Brower, but he's obviously got his hands full at Blizzard. Djawadi seems like a good fit.

There's another Warcraft movie panel at this year's Blizzcon. With filming having been completed some months ago, I'm wondering if Jones will be on hand to debue some brief footage (or perhaps just what they showed at Comic-Con).

That's damn good.

ITT I learned Duncan Jones is the son of David Bowie

holy shit

Excited for Travis Fimmel and Paula Patton. Fimmel is the fucking man in the TV show Vikings (which all of you should watch for hype if you haven't already). Paula because she is mighty fine.

fuzzyset

So this is a live action movie? Or Avatar-type super mo-cap movie? It's gonna be weird seeing normal proportion humans/orcs. The models in the games are so massively bulky I dunno if it's gonna work live action.

Loxley

So this is a live action movie? Or Avatar-type super mo-cap movie? It's gonna be weird seeing normal proportion humans/orcs. The models in the games are so massively bulky I dunno if it's gonna work live action.

It's live action with CG, the Orcs in particular with a combination of guys in prosthetics/mo-cap suits + CG enhancements. Impressions from the Comic-Con footage gave indicated that the film does indeed look like Warcraft on the big screen without seeming ridiculous. Jones - himself a huge Warcraft fan - has been geeking out on twitter over the last couple of months whenever he visits ILM to see how the effects are turning out. He's been hyping up the quality of the orcs quite a bit in particular, apparently they're going to look like they're straight from Blizzard's cinematics (not his words exactly, but what I've gathered).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I really hope that this movie is good, if it sucks I don't know what I'll do. Probably bitch about it on the internet.

toby kebbell did fantastic mo-cap acting in the apes sequel. he's gotta be an orc.

can't believe ragnar's the human lead in this, hope it's a success. he's fantastic.

Nokterian

It's live action with CG, the Orcs in particular with a combination of guys in prosthetics/mo-cap suits + CG enhancements. Impressions from the Comic-Con footage gave indicated that the film does indeed look like Warcraft on the big screen without seeming ridiculous. Jones - himself a huge Warcraft fan - has been geeking out on twitter over the last couple of months whenever he visits ILM to see how the effects are turning out. He's been hyping up the quality of the orcs quite a bit in particular, apparently they're going to look like they're straight from Blizzard's cinematics (not his words exactly, but what I've gathered).

I have a feeling there going towards how the orcs look in the warlords of draenor cinematic but i can be wrong. I am glad that duncan jones is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom