• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Yeah that box contains all you'll need to get started.

The two armies inside are actually 'new' in the sense that the Space Marine side is all new units, kind of like Space Marines Plus. The Chaos side is an update of a somewhat neglected faction known as the Death Guard, and should be getting a bunch of new kits down the line too.

So if you decide you like either of the armies in the set, they'll be a great groundwork to build upon. Plus you can pick up extra units from the set on eBay for ridiculously cheap prices.

Cracklox

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I'll give it a go.

Has anyone tried the Inquisitor: Martyr beta (or is it still in Alpha?)? Basically my dream game is an aprg (Diablo style if you will) set in the 40k universe and this is about the only one I know of that comes close to that. I wish the class choices used more of the universe as opposed to just keeping it to inquisitors, but it seems as close as I'm going to get for now.

I'm hesitant to jump on the founders pack at the moment cos reasons, but everything they're talking about and promising with the evolving world depending on what the player base does, sounds pretty great. Also, the combat looks pretty cool, if a little slower paced, but (hopefully) more tactical then a typical Diablo style game.

Has anyone had any hands on time and could give some thoughts? Impressions are sort of hard to find, and the game is otherwise a non-entity on Gafs gaming side

Scirrocco

Has anyone tried the Inquisitor: Martyr beta (or is it still in Alpha?)? Basically my dream game is an aprg (Diablo style if you will) set in the 40k universe and this is about the only one I know of that comes close to that. I wish the class choices used more of the universe as opposed to just keeping it to inquisitors, but it seems as close as I'm going to get for now.

I'm hesitant to jump on the founders pack at the moment cos reasons, but everything they're talking about and promising with the evolving world depending on what the player base does, sounds pretty great. Also, the combat looks pretty cool, if a little slower paced, but (hopefully) more tactical then a typical Diablo style game.

Has anyone had any hands on time and could give some thoughts? Impressions are sort of hard to find, and the game is otherwise a non-entity on Gafs gaming side

It's in alpha, not beta.

And I'd like to hear people's opinions on it too. I've been watching some videos on it and while it sounds promising, it's still very basic at the moment and I remember too well that space marine game (eternal crusade?) That was big on promises and ended up. A lot more limited in final release, so I'm A bit hesitant to pull th trigger.

Anyone here play it and want to share your thoughts?

The AoS app is free to download and the warscrolls for each unit are free too. However, the 40K datasheets haven't been released for free on GW's website (unlike the AoS warscrolls) so I'm not yet sure if they'll be free in the 40K app...

For me, there's a very useful free feature in the AoS app called 'My Battle', which basically allows you to compile a little codex dedicated to your battle (including your warscrolls, your opponent's warscrolls, the mission rules, faction rules and the core game rules), which saves you from having to flick around the app constantly and means you don't need to have a bunch of different books in front of you when playing a mixed faction army.

You can buy digital copies of the various AoS books in the app as well if that's your thing, and there's an army builder built into the app (called Azyr) which costs £1 per month to access. I expect the 40K app will have something similar.

We books and covers from Black Library.
TrpNBr82F4o.jpg
An band of elite Chaos Space Marines from the Alpha Legion undertake a deadly stealth mission to infiltrate a heavily defended Imperial world.

Upon the oceanic hive world of Tsadrekha, the darkness of the Noctis Aeterna is held at bay by the golden light of a unique beacon. Yet as sharks are drawn to blood, so the ravening warbands of the Heretic Astartes circle the planet, warring to claim this rich prize for their Dark Gods. Now, one of those warlords has deployed a secret weapon to end the deadlock. Kassar and his elite band of Alpha Legionnaires, the Unsung, must infiltrate the planet, using all their cunning and warrior skill to overcome the planet's defenders and corrupt the beacon. They need to work fast, for none other than Khârn the Betrayer himself has come to lead the final assault. As a rising tide of apocalyptic warfare consumes Tsadrekha, Kassar and his brothers must race for the prize or be consumed by the fury of the storm.
Space Wolf Runepriest Njal Stormcaller ventures into the Great Rift and the ruins of Prospero to save his long lost battle-brothers.

Goaded by the shade of the long dead sorcerer Izaak, High Runepriest Njal Stormcaller gathers together a disparate warband of Space Wolves to brave the Great Rift and return to the ruins of Prospero. If Izaak is to be believed, a force of the lost Thirteenth Company remains trapped within the old, labyrinthine city of Tizca, and if Njal can free them then he will not only be rid of the sorcerer but he will also rescue his ancient brothers. But the Thousand Sons still linger in the ashes of their former world as well as other, darker adversaries, and they will not allow the Wolves to pass through without a fight.
The brutal war for Cadia is decided, as Lord Castellan Ursarkar Creed and the armies of the Imperium fight to halt the Thirteenth Black Crusade and prevent a calamity on a galactic scale.

Under almost constant besiegement by the daemonic hosts pouring from the Eye of Terror, Cadia stands as a bulwark against tyranny and death. Its fortresses and armies have held back the hordes of Chaos for centuries, but that grim defiance is about to reach its end. As Abaddon’s Thirteenth Black Crusade batters Cadia’s defences and the armies of the Imperium flock to reinforce this crucial world, a terrible ritual long in the making comes to fruition, and the delicate balance of this brutal war shifts… From the darkness, a hero rises to lead the beleaguered defenders, Lord Castellan Ursarkar Creed, but even with the armoured might of the Astra Militarum and the strength of the Adeptus Astartes at his side, it may not be enough to avert disaster and prevent the fall of Cadia. While Creed lives, there is hope. While there is breath in the body of a single defender, Cadia Stands… but for how much longer?

As Imperium Secundus fails, three primarchs journey into the Ruinstorm in the hope of making it back to Terra.

Imperium Secundus lies revealed as a heretical folly. Terra has not fallen, though it remains inaccessible. Sanguinius, Guilliman and the Lion El’Johnson, the primarchs of the Triumvirate, must reach Terra at all costs. They seek to defend the Emperor, and to atone for their sins. But the Ruinstorm, a galaxy-wide maelstrom of chaos, hides the Throneworld from the primarchs. Now the fleets of three Legions depart Macragge, and the primarchs will stop at nothing to overcome the Ruinstorm. Yet an insidious enemy watches their every move, and plots against the weaknesses of the errant sons of the Emperor. Each has his own inner storm, and each marches towards his own ruin.
Ferrus Manus, primarch of the Iron Hands, employs his brutal methods of war to bring a world to heel in the Emperor's name.

The Great Crusade has swept across half the galaxy, a million human worlds now embracing the truth and reason that comes with allegiance to the rule of Terra. But even such unparalleled success comes at a cost. Rumours abound that the Emperor plans to step back from the Crusade and raise one of his primarch sons to lead in his stead. Faced with the bitterly non-compliant human empire of Gardinaal and a leaderless host of Ultramarines, Thousand Sons and Emperor’s Children at his Legion’s command, the Iron Hands primarch Ferrus Manus decides to make an example that even the Emperor cannot ignore.

Never heard of it, but it looks cool enough. I think I might go ahead and impulse buy it tomorrow to give a try, just because I'm in the middle of a big Dawn of War high right now. Just started and completed Dawn of War 2: Retribution this weekend, so I need something new to dig my teeth into.

Cracklox

Never heard of it, but it looks cool enough. I think I might go ahead and impulse buy it tomorrow to give a try, just because I'm in the middle of a big Dawn of War high right now. Just started and completed Dawn of War 2: Retribution this weekend, so I need something new to dig my teeth into.

ya I loved DoW 2. Not really into the PvP but I've beaten the main game and expansion a couple of times. It was actually pretty close to what I described, with loot to hunt and more of a focus on heroes then armies. I just yearn for those systems, in that setting, with more more direct character control, and little more depth on how to build your your heroes. DoW3 looks ok, but its look like it gone back to the more old school RTS style with base building and bigger armies etc.

If you do give Inquisitor a go, post some thoughts if you will. As you can see the games hardly setting the world on fire
even in a videogame forum thread dedicated to its source material

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Nope. I believe the Iron Warriors hold the record for the amount of POV books they have.

I really liked those Iron Warrior books, although memory may be varnishing them beyond their actual quality...

The AoS app is free to download and the warscrolls for each unit are free too. However, the 40K datasheets haven't been released for free on GW's website (unlike the AoS warscrolls) so I'm not yet sure if they'll be free in the 40K app...

For me, there's a very useful free feature in the AoS app called 'My Battle', which basically allows you to compile a little codex dedicated to your battle (including your warscrolls, your opponent's warscrolls, the mission rules, faction rules and the core game rules), which saves you from having to flick around the app constantly and means you don't need to have a bunch of different books in front of you when playing a mixed faction army.

You can buy digital copies of the various AoS books in the app as well if that's your thing, and there's an army builder built into the app (called Azyr) which costs £1 per month to access. I expect the 40K app will have something similar.

My understanding is that all 40k individual data sheets will be available online - they have for a few years been providing free rules in the boxes and I cannot fathom why they would not provide data sheets on the website. 8th doesn't realise for 12 more days, hence why no data sheets online.

They've said the 40k app will improve on the AOS one, so fingers crossed.

Tacitus_

The fuck did they do to the Lion?
Most other Chaos Marines are pretty much insane, and it's hard to write a compelling story starring insane murder machines. Alpha Legion's one of the only few good options you've got.

I dunno, it all depends on how you go at it. Kharn is completely insane, but The Red Path was still pretty compelling. And ADBs Night Lords books are great.

My understanding is that all 40k individual data sheets will be available online - they have for a few years been providing free rules in the boxes and I cannot fathom why they would not provide data sheets on the website. 8th doesn't realise for 12 more days, hence why no data sheets online.

It seems they may be taking a different approach with 40K:
- Will the Indexes be a free download as well? If not, how do we get them?

The Index Books are available as print, iBooks and ePub to preorder from all the usual places from 3rd June.

- What about individual unit dataslates? Newer models have had them in the box - will they be on the website too, like in AoS?

Miniatures released after 40k will have their rules in the box, but they won't be on the website.
https://twitter.com/geekjockpete/status/867077223278411777

Mik2121

Bleh

So those digital rules they sale will be the go to, wont they?
Guess they're trying to make as much cash as possible :(

I will be getting the Start Collecting for the Tau that includes the book (eh, why not), and the full rulebook on iPad. I wish they had free versions for the bare minimum stuff, but oh well :/

Ohnonono

I pre-ordered the Dark Imperium box set. I am so hyped. I haven't messed with 40k since 4th edition and I am really pumped for Death Guard. Also getting the full rulebook is awesome.

Mikeside

What's the best way to get rid of a bunch of 40k Orks in the UK?

I've got a tonne in various stages of painting, but I've kind of given up with them.

Have started collecting Skitarii & am going to follow down that route with them and some allied Imperium forces, so would be nice to make some cash out of the Orks to fill my army up a bit.

Ohnonono

I have a box of Grey Knight marines, and a box of Grey Knight Terminators that I have yet to assemble. Should it be pretty easy to put them in with the primaris stuff from the starter box? I am sure you take some hits for army comp, but I would hate to waste them.

Tacitus_

I have a box of Grey Knight marines, and a box of Grey Knight Terminators that I have yet to assemble. Should it be pretty easy to put them in with the primaris stuff from the starter box? I am sure you take some hits for army comp, but I would hate to waste them.

They both share the Imperium faction, so you'll be able to throw them in the same detachment if there's enough slots for the GK units. If they somehow don't fit, you just need to take an additional HQ unit to make the GK into a patrol detachment with no downsides.

Showaddy

So Bikers with combi-weapons seem...mildly OP. 6 shots + 2 plasma each if your within 12. Plus re-rolls to hit if you bring a captain on a bike as well.

mulac

Love the 40k lore, Horus Heresy books etc.

Thinking of grabbing the new 40k box edition as the models look sweet but no intention of actually playing the game. However keen to paint and display the models as a hobby and unleash creativity.

What accessories, paints etc are a good set to go with edition 8? Anything else?

dan2026

Read quite a bit of Dark Imperium, and am enjoying it. Guilliman is an interesting character. He's kind of a Captain America man out of time figure. Everything is weird and slightly disturbing to him.

The book starts with his final fight with the Deamon Fulgrim, before Guilliman ended up in a coma.
Which is quite cool. Makes me want a model of Deamon Fulgrim.

Thinking of grabbing the new 40k box edition as the models look sweet but no intention of actually playing the game. However keen to paint and display the models as a hobby and unleash creativity.

What accessories, paints etc are a good set to go with edition 8? Anything else?

If you're wanting it more for the hobby side, the starter set might not be the best thing to go for. I'm fairly sure the models in that are snap-together from a few pieces (so pretty much partially pre-built) which limits how you can put them together.

Xis

Clippers, plastic glue, an exacto knife (for trimming mold lines)

A good paint primer (I would use Citadel Chaos Black spray)

Appropriate paint colors; generally you want at least one base color + a shade (wash) + a lighter color for highlighting.

You can spruce up the bases of the minis before you paint them by basing them; I use sand held in place with PVA (Elmer's) glue.

mulac

Cool thanks for advice. Right now I just want to paint will get to modelling later. Couldn't see a standard set TG ht has all required paints and washes?

Tacitus_

Cool thanks for advice. Right now I just want to paint will get to modelling later. Couldn't see a standard set TG ht has all required paints and washes?

There's really no "required" set, you get what you want for your colour scheme. With the exception of Nuln Oil. That goes with everything.
GW has some starters sets that come with a bit of everything, like this one, but it looks like that it comes with no washes or layer paints. Then again, you can just dilute and mix colours if you want to get by. I don't like mixing colours so I've amassed quite a set of paints.

manfestival

Read quite a bit of Dark Imperium, and am enjoying it. Guilliman is an interesting character. He's kind of a Captain America man out of time figure. Everything is weird and slightly disturbing to him.

The book starts with his final fight with the Deamon Fulgrim, before Guilliman ended up in a coma.
Which is quite cool. Makes me want a model of Deamon Fulgrim.
How did you get this early?! I demand my copy now. No spoilers!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
How did you get this early?! I demand my copy now. No spoilers!

Dark Imperium the novel is out :) sadly the minis and game are not. I'm finding it quite enjoyable. Gulliman is done very well. The Primaries are cool but it does feel at times like a showcase for the new models. But, I can forgive that.

I'd strongly recommend it so far.

Tacitus_

Speaking of new minis and tie in novels, I spotted three new units in it that are totally going to be models.

Upsized Corvus Blackstar for a flying transport, a melee unit with pistol and power sword and a not-terminator with flamers and shoulder missiles.

manfestival

Dark Imperium the novel is out :) sadly the minis and game are not. I'm finding it quite enjoyable. Gulliman is done very well. The Primaries are cool but it does feel at times like a showcase for the new models. But, I can forgive that.

I'd strongly recommend it so far.
They didn't have any copies at my local gw! This is a travesty and I even did a preorder

mlclmtckr

Banned
So I'm getting pretty into the planning side of things in preparation for buying my first set of figures... making lists for the craft store and the GW website.

I figured I'd start with some boring old Space Marines, just because I'm mostly interested in the painting / design side of things and they seem the easiest to paint.

I decided on a 'coyote' themed custom chapter so I can add some Space Wolves transfers and maybe some Upgrade Kit bits for flavour. I actually uh just bought DoW III to use the army painter to pick out a colour scheme.

Anyway it's all fun but I had a couple questions for 40kGAF:

Should I use Space Wolves models and codex or just use vanilla Marines with the odd pelt or claw thrown in? Does it make a difference?

Is there a 'best' paint brand? I see there are some Vallejo sets with a lot of colours I like. But GW or P3 or whatever seem good too.

Thanks a lot to anyone who answers!

Leunam

Coyote themed chapter sounds awesome! I kind of have an idea of what it could look like in my head and I definitely like your approach with combining bits.

You can mix and match different Space Marine kits without issue mostly. Some of the Space Wolf heads only match up with other Space Wolf torsos, but by and large it's pretty modular. As for rules, you can run either any Marine rules you want as long as you're consistent across the whole army. Hell, you could use Blood Angel rules if you wanted, it's your chapter after all. I don't think anyone has any right to tell you you can't as long as you're clear about what your units do. What I mean is that you'll need your army to be all from one codex, but the models can come from anywhere. I've even seen people do Dark Angels Deathwing using Ork models in the past.

I mostly use Citadel paints, but P3 and Vallejo are very popular choices. As you improve you'll probably find you're using multiple brands of paints anyway. I don't really care for Vallejo metallics but I swear by the Citadel ones. But I love Vallejo white and black, and prefer that over Citadels.

Definitely give Vallejo a look though. They have Game Color paints and Model Color paints. They're both acrylic, but they have different color ranges, with Model Color paints verging more on the realistic tone side. And they make paint bundles for WW2 miniature games also, so you can find every imaginable shade of grey and brown among them. Post some pictures when you've painted one or two guys, would love to see them.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Oh wow, thanks for the tip on the realistic Vallejo colours. I think I'll get a bunch of these and some Citadel metallic ones and work it out.

As for minis, yeah, I think I'll mostly get vanilla Marines and accentuate with the occasional Wolves part. I was thinking I'd buy mostly Wolves minis but they look too distinctive / Norse really. And if I'm just buying plain Astartes I think I'll probably run them that way. Better to start generic anyway since I'm such a noob.

Thanks for the tips! I'll for sure post pictures once I have some painted. Now on to DoWIII to mess around with schemes.

Did you mention decals?!?

IMG_9080.jpg

Here's the best stuff money can buy. Nothing comes close. I've tried multiple solutions through the years and this stuff is untouchable. It eats away the film and pulls the decal down so well that it looks painted on, even on curved surfaces and over details.

Leunam

Oh, once my decal set and softener run out I'll have to give that a try. Decals need not be so difficult with just a little bit of softener applied, the results can be really impressive.

Top Bottom