• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

manfestival

a few observations: command points are really neat and add strategy but they might cause problems in friendships. tau definitely are not nearly as strong as before(you could halt an advancing line with 1 round of shooting in most cases, where in this you cant really stop melee). orks are very strong, have yet to see them lose.
Also I felt like I was going to eventually go to points over power levels but power levels are sooooo much easier to do in listing than points. I do not play matched gaming so power levels might just be my permanent game style. Things do seem pretty balanced as far as power levels are concerned as long as you max out your characters capabilities. Everyone else is gonna do it because it is neat to try things out so do it.
Playing without a battalion seems silly considering how much CP you get.

It is very fun and much faster. There were only a couple of minor rule issues that I came across but that is tiny compared to the constant bickering I heard from long playing 7th edition players.

I also played a game of 8th. It was a 1000 p. 1 v 1 v 1 relic match. Just some quick observations (at work):

- List building with points is a pain until we get an army builder app of sort. GW or third party. I would honestly have preferred power levels but my opponents wanted points.

- Fight phase is a meat grinder on a three player match.

- We had Necrons vs. Dark Eldar vs. Tyranids and it felt pretty balanced and fair.

- Liked it a lot and can't wait to dive in more!

Mik2121

I also played a game of 8th. It was a 1000 p. 1 v 1 v 1 relic match. Just some quick observations (at work):

- List building with points is a pain until we get an army builder app of sort. GW or third party. I would honestly have preferred power levels but my opponents wanted points.

- Fight phase is a meat grinder on a three player match.

- We had Necrons vs. Dark Eldar vs. Tyranids and it felt pretty balanced and fair.

- Liked it a lot and can't wait to dive in more!

I also did a 1v1v1 with another two friends using 8th edition rules (Tau (me) vs Necron vs Skitarii) with very little points to test the waters. We play very small so we have changed a bunch of rules to match our play style, but as you said, it felt pretty balanced.

Personally I decided to create an excel with all my units and points and then just make a list and let Excel give me the total points automatically.

I also did a 1v1v1 with another two friends using 8th edition rules (Tau (me) vs Necron vs Skitarii) with very little points to test the waters. We play very small so we have changed a bunch of rules to match our play style, but as you said, it felt pretty balanced.

Personally I decided to create an excel with all my units and points and then just make a list and let Excel give me the total points automatically.

I'm halfway done with my Excel sheet too as that was what I used to make my list.

I just stopped off at game shop where I live, and they mentioned the small datasheet/quicksheet in the new Dark Imperium box has a good amount of points discrepencies from the final 8th edition book or something? They said GW is aware and will be posting an update online once 8th launches. Curious if this is common knowledge.

First time in memory a starter set for a mainline Warhammer set will be sold out! Dark Vengeance had plenty of supply.

Really looking forward to mine arriving now, gotta get me some games in.

Totally gonna focus on Narrative play I think, I much prefer the power levels system to points. But maybe when Battlescribe is updated or there's an official army builder app I will do some points-based games.

Mik2121

I just stopped off at game shop where I live, and they mentioned the small datasheet/quicksheet in the new Dark Imperium box has a good amount of points discrepencies from the final 8th edition book or something? They said GW is aware and will be posting an update online once 8th launches. Curious if this is common knowledge.
Wonder if they'll make the online update available to everybody?
Either way, too late since I'm making my own Excel file to carry on my iPad, but still...

Ohnonono

So I am starting my Nurgle army with the starter box. Is it worth adding a unit of regular CSM as part of the army? Or does the fact that I can take Plague Marines pretty much replace normal CSM as a unit?

I own the box of CSM already I just am trying to decide how to use my time this week.

Mikeside

So I am starting my Nurgle army with the starter box. Is it worth adding a unit of regular CSM as part of the army? Or does the fact that I can take Plague Marines pretty much replace normal CSM as a unit?

I own the box of CSM already I just am trying to decide how to use my time this week.

I can't 100% tell you what's best because I've got no idea really, but I'm sticking with Death Guard rather than regular CSM - there's plenty you can add in & you get to use Plague Marines as troops rather than elites.

I expect there'll be a death guard codex over summer to add in the rumoured terminators and some other bits too

Ohnonono

I can't 100% tell you what's best because I've got no idea really, but I'm sticking with Death Guard rather than regular CSM - there's plenty you can add in & you get to use Plague Marines as troops rather than elites.

I expect there'll be a death guard codex over summer to add in the rumoured terminators and some other bits too

Thanks! I suppose I should also add, is it a legal army? For instance including CSM (w/mark of nurgle) does not lose me Death Guard as a troop choice? So if I already have them they are not breaking the Death Guard army rules?

Tacitus_

They are cheaper than plague marines and you can get heavy weapons on them.

Thanks! I suppose I should also add, is it a legal army? For instance including CSM (w/mark of nurgle) does not lose me Death Guard as a troop choice? So if I already have them they are not breaking the Death Guard army rules?

You can just give them the Death Guard keyword and they'll benefit from the buffs as well.

Scratch that, Death Guard can't field regular CSM.

Ohnonono

They are cheaper than plague marines and you can get heavy weapons on them.

You can just give them the Death Guard keyword and they'll benefit from the buffs as well.

Scratch that, Death Guard can't field regular CSM.

Well that kinda sucks! I love getting new models but taking a faction that already was supporting 5 separate flavors and then making them less compatible is.. weird?

Mikeside

Well that kinda sucks! I love getting new models but taking a faction that already was supporting 5 separate flavors and then making them less compatible is.. weird?

you could have a detachment of Death Guard and a detachment of CSM and have access to both?

There's some cool smaller detachments you can take in 8th so you can mix and match like that - it's what I'll be doing with Blood Angels, Cult Mechanicus, Imperial Knights, Silent Sisters and Inquisition - play a little mix and match with the detachments!

Smallest detachment is a patrol - 1 HQ and 1 Troop mandatory

Tacitus_

You can still run the plague marines in a "normal" CSM list, but not as troops. Or run CSM in a Death Guard list, but they can't be Death Guard and must be from some other warband or Legion.

I think.

They all share the Chaos and Heretic Astartes keywords and according to the detachment rules, they all just need to share one keyword. They just won't be able to share the <Legion> buffs.

Ohnonono

You can still run the plague marines in a "normal" CSM list, but not as troops. Or run CSM in a Death Guard list, but they can't be Death Guard and must be from some other warband or Legion.

I think.

They all share the Chaos and Heretic Astartes keywords and according to the detachment rules, they all just need to share one keyword. They just won't be able to share the <Legion> buffs.

But they can still use those buffs on each other correct? Just not on the regular CSM. I will have to get used to the detachment rules. They sort of confuse me right now. I understand the key words from Age of Sigmar, they seem very similar here. The ability to take essentially more than one army in an army is neat, but confusing without the rulebook in my hands yet.

Well, my only friend within 2 hours is moving away for work, so chances of me actually getting to use any of my stuff has just gone to nil. FML, I was so pumped for this too.

Tacitus_

But they can still use those buffs on each other correct? Just not on the regular CSM. I will have to get used to the detachment rules. They sort of confuse me right now. I understand the key words from Age of Sigmar, they seem very similar here. The ability to take essentially more than one army in an army is neat, but confusing without the rulebook in my hands yet.

To my reading the buffs should work on the relevant units

DG buffs:
t9ozOnu.png

Generic buffs:
8FRsz09.png

Faction keywords
VTyvWEX.png

manfestival

Hey just need some rule clarification in 8th.
There is a rule that I guess works as monster Hunter or tank hunter called tank ace. This rule states that you get +1 on your to wound rolls against a tank or monster.. now is this +1 work as one of two ways: is it that your to wound rolls gets 1 added so if you roll a 5 it now becomes a 6 or is it that you would wound on a 2 if you would normally be wounding on a 3 effectively wounding if you were double the toughness but having no benefit if you already double it?

Tacitus_

Hey just need some rule clarification in 8th.
There is a rule that I guess works as monster Hunter or tank hunter called tank ace. This rule states that you get +1 on your to wound rolls against a tank or monster.. now is this +1 work as one of two ways: is it that your to wound rolls gets 1 added so if you roll a 5 it now becomes a 6 or is it that you would wound on a 2 if you would normally be wounding on a 3 effectively wounding if you were double the toughness but having no benefit if you already double it?

It adds +1 to your dice, with the exception of 1 which always fails. So if you roll a 2, but need 3 to wound, your +1 will make it count.
GW also had this in todays faction focus on rolling a 6 with bonuses

And be aware that if you can get a +1 to hit, you get the bonus hits on the roll of a 5 or 6 &#8211; especially if you're standing next to a Character that lets you re-roll hits.

Yep, rules that modify a dice roll do indeed change the dice roll result. So +1 to the wound roll for example, means that rolling a natural 5 turns the result into a 6. The same style of rule has existed in Age of Sigmar, and that's definitely how it works :)

There's a similar one for Necrons too, with an Overlord ability that modifies a unit's 'to hit' dice rolls by +1, so when it's applied to Tesla Immortals it allows 3 hits on a natural roll of 5 or 6 instead of just the 6 (a 5 becomes a 6, a 6 becomes a 7, and their rule states they get 3 hits on 6+ to hit).

manfestival

It adds +1 to your dice, with the exception of 1 which always fails. So if you roll a 2, but need 3 to wound, your +1 will make it count.
GW also had this in todays faction focus on rolling a 6 with bonuses
thank you for posting this because now I can actually go back and point it out

Yep, rules that modify a dice roll do indeed change the dice roll result. So +1 to the wound roll for example, means that rolling a natural 5 turns the result into a 6. The same style of rule has existed in Age of Sigmar, and that's definitely how it works :)

There's a similar one for Necrons too, with an Overlord ability that modifies a unit's 'to hit' dice rolls by +1, so when it's applied to Tesla Immortals it allows 3 hits on a natural roll of 5 or 6 instead of just the 6 (a 5 becomes a 6, a 6 becomes a 7, and their rule states they get 3 hits on 6+ to hit).
that makes sense!

I canceled my online order and pre-ordered from my local gameshop. They have their copies in already, and a display one put together to try and get people interested in the release. I'm excited to go there Friday after work. They're going to let us grab our copies early as long as we're staying there at the shop until late. My friend is going to help me put my pieces together since I've never done anything like this before.

Wonder if they'll make the online update available to everybody?
Either way, too late since I'm making my own Excel file to carry on my iPad, but still...
From what they were telling me, yes. They'll make it available for everyone. They're going to release an update/facts sheet on release day, I believe they said. I'll ask for details this Friday, because I'm so unfamiliar with the things they were talking about that I didn't quite follow...just that there were discrepancies, the gameshop itself had contacted GW, and GW responded about getting stuff up online.

Well, my only friend within 2 hours is moving away for work, so chances of me actually getting to use any of my stuff has just gone to nil. FML, I was so pumped for this too.
That sucks :( You don't live in Central Illinois by chance, do ya?!

Nazo

So, has anyone's order for their Dark Imperium box shipped yet? I ask cuz I don't really know how GW handles their pre-orders. The only thing I've pre-ordered from them was a box of Custodes a long while ago and I don't for the life of me remember how long that took.

Also, why the hell did the Triumvurite of the Primarch box jump in price by like ten bucks? $90 is a little much for four (albeit very nice) models.

Jinaar

So, has anyone's order for their Dark Imperium box shipped yet? I ask cuz I don't really know how GW handles their pre-orders. The only thing I've pre-ordered from them was a box of Custodes a long while ago and I don't for the life of me remember how long that took.

Also, why the hell did the Triumvurite of the Primarch box jump in price by like ten bucks? $90 is a little much for four (albeit very nice) models.

Mine has not shipped and I actually called them to ask. They said it basically hasn't even left the depo yet. Great. I should have just set it for pickup at my nearest store. Having it delivered to your home is BS.

Mine has not shipped and I actually called them to ask. They said it basically hasn't even left the depo yet. Great. I should have just set it for pickup at my nearest store. Having it delivered to your home is BS.
This is why I canceled my order online the end of last week. Decided I didn't want to wait for it to ship. I'm going to my local shop tonight, and putting my hands on mine at 7:00 PM. I'm eager to finally jump into this game. Going to hang out up there tonight and put my crap together.

I find Element Games to be super quick, while Dark Sphere takes a day or two longer (though they're typically the cheapest and still faster than other online retailers!).

Both are very reliable too.

My copy arrived Wednesday, assembled all the models over 8 hours on that day.

Thursday, I painted this guy up:

And today after work, I painted this:

And then, Had my first game this afternoon!

It was a lot of fun, very fast paced and the two starter armies play very differently which makes it an interesting set to start with. The Lord of Contagion killed three heroes single-handedly and was an absolute beast, so he's my next one to paint!

Picking up Death Guard spray paint, tactical objective cards and three of the index books tomorrow :)

Looks great. Glad to hear about how the armies play.

I watched a genestealer cult vs harlequin battle today and goddamn harlequins are hardcore in 8th. Granted, it was a close combat vs close combat battle. Perhaps their edge would be blunted a bit vs a shooty or horde army.

My copy arrived Wednesday, assembled all the models over 8 hours on that day.

Thursday, I painted this guy up:

And today after work, I painted this:

And then, Had my first game this afternoon!

It was a lot of fun, very fast paced and the two starter armies play very differently which makes it an interesting set to start with. The Lord of Contagion killed three heroes single-handedly and was an absolute beast, so he's my next one to paint!

Picking up Death Guard spray paint, tactical objective cards and three of the index books tomorrow :)

You paint so fast and so good! Im jelly

manfestival

So who can Tau Ally with, then? Obviously Farsight Enclaves, but i was hoping to use a few Imperial Guard units with my Tau.
About that... the farsight enclaves are declared traitors by the rest of tau. Farsight to tau is essentially chaos is to the imperium. There hasn't been an update in the lore aside from declaring the 4th sphere expansion to be a suicide run. So here we are at the 5th

Tau have no allies. Just allies of convenience and only 3 things for come the apoc

you should be able to find some people to play with - try going to local GWs and FLGS or meetup.com

No reason to abandon a hobby you enjoy when there's also an opportunity to make new friends
Not going to abandon, but given I ... immensely dislike ... the painting portion of the hobby, playing at a GW store is iffy at best. Nearest FLGS is 90ish minutes at best also. Down side of living in the sticks. :p

I'm not giving up my stuff, or giving up on playing. Just not going to be as easy as I thought.

As for shipping my
limited edition
box should arrive Tuesday as well. Really wish they'd get on release day shipping instead of shipping ON release day.

So..the imperium is some 10,000 years old, and the golden age of mankind was only a few thousand years before that, right? And so much of the knowledge is lost, yeah?

So whats to stop them from just using radio telescopes to listen to ancient radio transmissions from the golden age and piece together a lot of history/technology that way? I mean, the galaxy is huge so farther flung worlds should be still swimming in ancient radio waves.
Then it hits me that they are probably aware of that, but listening for Dark age of technology stuff probably also leaves you listening to age of strife transmissions as well, which are probably all considered heretical or censored by anyone who knows of them.

cntr

Banned
in real life, radio transmissions quickly become too dispersed to have recognizable information like that (that's why stuff like SETI doesn't just transmit to a wide area)

plus, we've already almost stopped radio leaks into space, and that's with 21st century technology, let alone far future tech

in real life, radio transmissions quickly become too dispersed to have recognizable information like that (that's why stuff like SETI doesn't just transmit to a wide area)

plus, we've already almost stopped radio leaks into space, and that's with 21st century technology, let alone far future tech

True, but until they invented astropathy, they must have had one heck of a deep space network going on, even for in system communications. Let alone whatever type of fleet communications they had going on.

I still think it's hilarious how much the mechinacus shoots itself in the foot tech wise. They seem to only be able to create new things when they discover STC fragments, and have little in the way of reverse engineering, even when the tech is human tech. Even if said tech was post crusade.

It's even worse when you consider alien tech. I imagine every problem with imperial plasma weapons could be solve by just examining a tau plasma weapon, and figuring out what the human version is missing. I'd even wager they did exactly that, but won't fix the problem less they discover a dark age plasma weapon with that part actually fixed, or a fragment with plans for that part, etc.

Got my Dark Imperium set tonight! Apparently too many people got word that the local game shop was going to let some of us have it early (if we stayed in the shop to put it together) so when I arrived at 8:00 I was told I had to wait until midnight to put my hands on it. I thought about leaving and getting it another night, but ended up hanging out.

For my first step into Warhammer, I must say this set is pretty damn fun putting pieces together. I only have 4 space marines done so far, but think I'm going to hit the sack. Hopefully I'll finish tomorrow...then I get to look into the wonderful world of painting. I hear I'm going to need primer and such. Any beginner tips on painting, or just materials to buy? Think I'm going to do dark purple and red.

Top Bottom