• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Nazo

I'm hoping somebody here can give me some advice. I've been absolutely wracking my brain for the past few months since the new Deathgaurd models got revealed on what color scheme I want to paint them. I'm going to use them as the basis for my own homebrew warband. I had the loose Idea/theme to base them off kind of the aesthetic of the Dead Space games. So all those tentacle and bones/horns are going to look pretty Necromorph-y.

I've been thinking of making their armor black with some kind of metallic color for the trim, maybe gold,brass, or bronze. I dunno, if you guys got any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Having a dull silver could also work as silver fits death really well..using gold/brass/bronze IMO makes them look like theyre allied to chaos undivided.

Nazo

Having a dull silver could also work as silver fits death really well..using gold/brass/bronze IMO makes them look like theyre allied to chaos undivided.

Yeah, I was worried it would make 'em look like off-brand black legion. I kinda don't want to do silver since my loyalist marines are black and silver though.

WAIT. I literally just thought this up just as I was typing the last sentence. But maybe a dark rusty copper for the trim?

Yeah, I was worried it would make 'em look like off-brand black legion. I kinda don't want to do silver since my loyalist marines are black and silver though.

WAIT. I literally just thought this up just as I was typing the last sentence. But maybe a dark rusty copper for the trim?

Yeah, that could work. Rusted copper that's extremely dull and less yellow(makign them offbrand black legion) could really work.

I ended up having Dark Imperium preordered. Splitting with a friend and I will be picking up the book and the marines. Figured I might as well because I wanted the book and thought I'd be getting the primaris marines at some point anyway. Not sure how I'm going to paint them, but I do have some heretical ideas...

Still going to start with Nids though. They look super fun in 8th edition.

Thank god for UK stores and that Brexit isnt complete yet, gotta keep ordering from there while its good.

Rulebook in Sweden would be around 40€, so from adding 45€ more and getting the Dark Imperium box im getting all the extra stuff as well as 50 miniatures and I think I can convert the blue Marines to Space wolves, so how can I resist<.<

Also added a box long fangs, a SW dreadnaught, a box Wulfen, and 2 boxes of grey hunters. Im so hyped but gonna drown in miniatures, also got 30 unplainted nids and 20 unpainted SW at home :D

Saving around 60€ in a expensive hobby is not to complain about.

This summer is going to be great. The question is if I should trade the Nurgle/deathwatch figures. I might keep them since they look amazing.

Ohnonono

You could also use some of the Nihilakh Oxide from GW to get verdigris on the dark copper for a more distinct look that sets them apart from Chaos Undivided.

Ohnonono

They both share the Imperium faction, so you'll be able to throw them in the same detachment if there's enough slots for the GK units. If they somehow don't fit, you just need to take an additional HQ unit to make the GK into a patrol detachment with no downsides.

So basicly the only downside would be that the normal marine stuff, would most likely not buff the GK units and vice versa?

I've been watching 8th edition battle reports on youtube and so far its looking great. People will really have to rethink their tried and true tactics. Targeting priority will be an essential skill as always, but those targets have definitely changed.

dan2026

So basicly the only downside would be that the normal marine stuff, would most likely not buff the GK units and vice versa?
That's the same for every army.

Like chaos marines and daemons can be taken together with no restrictions.
But characters tend to only buff units from their own faction.

Ohnonono

That's the same for every army.

Like chaos marines and daemons can be taken together with no restrictions.
But characters tend to only buff units from their own faction.

Cool thanks! Grey Knights with Primaris seems like a cool army.

May paint them up as a new Blood Angels Successor chapter of Primaris that were formed to go with the Grey Knights across the riff to reinforce the Blood Angels.

Ohnonono

Anyone who has Pre-Ordered from GW before, do they try to get it to people by release date, or will it most likely end up showing up the week after?

mlclmtckr

Banned
Anyone who has Pre-Ordered from GW before, do they try to get it to people by release date, or will it most likely end up showing up the week after?

I think the deal is that if you order before next Wednesday, they'll ship on Friday. Which means it probably arrives on the following Monday.

I think I'm gonna call GW and see if I can switch to in-store pickup, actually.

My local store was is giving 25% off, so I'm grabbing 8th edition with in store pick up. The store is also having a swap session, so we'll see what that amounts to ;)

mlclmtckr

Banned
So I called to change my order to pickup in store, which they apparently can't do... so instead they said they could cancel and then I could reorder but change the delivery options.

So I said yeah and the dude cancelled the order... but the money doesn't go back into your account instantly or anything. So I guess we'll see how long it's gonna take for the money to show up before I rebuy Dark Imperium.

I could just float it but I want to make sure the refund goes through before I give them another couple hundred.

I kind of wish they could have just changed the order delivery but it's all good. Just putting this here in case anyone is wondering how GW is with refunds / exchanges / whatever.

Ohnonono

My local store was is giving 25% off, so I'm grabbing 8th edition with in store pick up. The store is also having a swap session, so we'll see what that amounts to ;)

I keep thinking about swapping, mostly because I think death guard will be easy to get for Primaris Marines. That said I would like to have 2 armies and I already have some Grey Knights to stick with my new Blood Angels chapter.

Preordered my 40k 8th edition for $120. They had the store copy out to look over. Just a fantastic boxed set. Really beautiful package. They also had the minis assembled and on display. I took one of each faction out and grabbed a mini from their display case to show the scale.

IMG_9096.jpg

While current marines are definitely smaller, it's not a deal breaker IMO. The big surprise to me was just how close in size the Nurgle marines are to the Restartus marines. The Nurgle Terminator is a monster that I cannot wait to paint. As soon as I saw the minis assembled and on display, I decided that I am not trading anything in the box. I want to keep and paint it all.

Preordered my 40k 8th edition for $120. They had the store copy out to look over. Just a fantastic boxed set. Really beautiful package. They also had the minis assembled and on display. I took one of each faction out and grabbed a mini from their display case to show the scale.

IMG_9096.jpg

While current marines are definitely smaller, it's not a deal breaker IMO. The big surprise to me was just how close in size the Nurgle marines are to the Restartus marines. The Nurgle Terminator is a monster that I cannot wait to paint. As soon as I saw the minis assembled and on display, I decided that I am not trading anything in the box. I want to keep and paint it all.

Thats what Im thinking. I was thinking of trading the death guard because I have my plate full with Tyranids/Thousand Sons, but the models look reeaaaallly good. Come a long way from Battle at Macragge lol.

Thats what Im thinking. I was thinking of trading the death guard because I have my plate full with Tyranids/Thousand Sons, but the models look reeaaaallly good. Come a long way from Battle at Macragge lol.

Yeah, they are super beefy compared to any of the current chaos space marines. As soon as I saw them, I was like "Whelp, I'm not trading those!".

Our first Blackshields story from Black Library.
THE STORY
Renouncing fealty to all masters or driven mad by the rigours of war, the Blackshields are a stain upon any Legion they once served. Regarded as little better than pirates, their loyalty is only to themselves. Infamous among their mercenary ranks is Endryd Haar, a former World Eater, driven by hatred, his blade pledged to no banner but his own. But estranged from his Legion and surrounded by a battered warband of warriors, how long can Haar and his Blackshields hope to endure?
To compare this art to the one in the Forge World book.

I don't understand...why are they so strong? I'm only 2 novels into the universe, and when someone showed up with a power fist and ran towards a tank, the people in the tank were like "Holy hell, run!" Then the power fist sheared the thing in two.

cntr

Banned
They're powerful because the writers thought they were cool and should be strong, lol.

Most weapons in 40k, cool as they are, would be ridiculously impractical in real life. Like chainswords.

manfestival

I don't understand...why are they so strong? I'm only 2 novels into the universe, and when someone showed up with a power fist and ran towards a tank, the people in the tank were like "Holy hell, run!" Then the power fist sheared the thing in two.

Think about it. If you were in a tank and some dude decided to wear a gigantic fist and started charging at you... well I would probably piss myself too

Tacitus_

They up your strength and are wreathed in a matter disintegration field and so are designed to take out armoured targets.

Silly yes, but still super awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Fluff wise, if all power weapons have crazy fields around them, I don't see why a sword would be different than an axe or the Fist. But whatever, rule of cool.

My favorite marine I have ever painted is my veteran with a Power Maul. I'll see if I can find him and take a pic. He was for my old Guinness Marines. That wasn't their actual name, but they were a dark brown armor with cream colored helmets, and I painted little harps as their chapter logos.

It had initially started off as a '500 Point Drinking League' sort of silly endeavor, but I liked the look so much I ran with it.

Nazo

All these videos on YouTube of people unboxing the new Dark Imperium box makes me so envious. The wait is killing me!

Tacitus_

I need help looking for books about the Inquisition. Can someone give me suggestions?

The Carrion Throne. Chris Wraight is quickly becoming one of my favourite 40k writers.

In the hellish sprawl of Imperial Terra, Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Erasmus Crowl serves as a stalwart and vigilant protector, for even the Throneworld is not immune to the predations of its enemies. In the course of his Emperor-sworn duty, Crowl becomes embroiled in a dark conspiracy, one that leads all the way to the halls of the Imperial Palace. As he plunges deeper into the shadowy underbelly of the many palace districts, his investigation attracts the attention of hidden forces, and soon he and his acolyte Spinoza are being hunted – by heretics, xenos, servants of the Dark Powers, or perhaps even rival elements of the Inquisition itself. Soon they discover a terrible truth, one that if allowed to get out could undermine the very fabric of the Imperium itself.

Though Abnett is always fine.

Nazo

Speaking of Power fists, Can a space marine librarian make his force weapon a power fist? At least from a lore perspective?

Tacitus_

Speaking of Power fists, Can a space marine librarian make his force weapon a power fist? At least from a lore perspective?

I don't think that it's impossible, just that no one does it. Power fists are for tank hunting and unwieldy in other melee situations, while half the reason of using a force weapon is burning out the soul of anyone you cut.

Leunam

I don't think that it's impossible, just that no one does it. Power fists are for tank hunting and unwieldy in other melee situations, while half the reason of using a force weapon is burning out the soul of anyone you cut.

Unless you're that one Space Wolf that wields Power Fists in both hands.

Leunam

Took forever to find it, but there's one dude ready to throw down with Magnus on the cover of War of the Fang with double fists. Metal.

Nazo

Well maybe a very enterprising Librarian would want to punch the soul out of any one they hit. Because that sounds awesome.

Edit: I brought this up because a freind of mine wants to play a Librarian in a Deathwatch RPG I'm running and he chose a power fist as his force weapon, I thought it sounded cool. Just not particularly lore-friendly at face value.

Top Bottom