• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Kraftwerk

OneMoreQuestion said:
I strongly suggest the use of a KB/M. Sure, I know for a fact that it's far more comfy to use a controller but using a mouse is a MUST in this game, especially when you play online.

O.K. I guess I need a new mouse then. Any recommendations >? :eek:

butts

Yea and make sure you disconnect the controller before starting the game, there is no way to disable it (that I found) and use the keyboard/mouse if one is plugged in.

derFeef

butts said:
Yea and make sure you disconnect the controller before starting the game, there is no way to disable it (that I found) and use the keyboard/mouse if one is plugged in.
That was just in the demo, it is solved in the full game. Just use whatever and whenever you want, on the fly.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Got this game a few days ago, and I am having a blast. The campaign is great so far. They really nailed the WH40K atmosphere. I am giddy whenever I run across guardsmen holding down the fort in their little bases.

Multiplayer is something that I thought I wouldn't touch, but it has now consumed me.

Does anyone else use a controller for Assault and switch back to keyboard/mouse for Tactical/Devastator? Or am I just weird?

After this weekend I'm going to have more time to play multiplayer with you lads.

(Thanks to the guys that have sent me FRs on their 360s already. :D )

So...I'm a bit neurotic BUT...when we all party up, we all need to use the same Chapter/Warband...that way...well...we all look the same.

This shit is important people. Like...as important as it is to give each of your pokemon an individual name.

So...

Warhammer GAF...what is going to be our

1. Chapter

2. Warband

Everyone needs to vote, not just 360 Space Marine GAF. That way we can be united across all platforms.

Once again...this shit is important.

AEREC

hteng said:
wow the game is actually pretty difficult, story sucks though.

love the designs of Nemeroth.

Im playing on normal because Ive heard everyone talk about how difficult it was. On normal though it doesn't even get remotely challenging until you get to part III (chapter 7 or 8).

It's also kind of annoying that there are some parts where I accidently walk too far and the enemies I was fighting dissapeared like I had moved past that scene.

Nekrono

So I just finished downloading this on Steam right now and decided to try the multiplayer and after the level loads it crashes to desktop, is it really this bad?

derFeef

Nekrono said:
So I just finished downloading this on Steam right now and decided to try the multiplayer and after the level loads it crashes to desktop, is it really this bad?
This is one polished game, crashes are very rare.

Herla

bigdaddygamebot said:
Warhammer GAF...what is going to be our

1. Chapter

2. Warband

Everyone needs to vote, not just 360 Space Marine GAF. That way we can be united across all platforms.

Once again...this shit is important.

...contest for the best GAF color scheme? For both Chaos and Space Marines, using the starting armor.

Herla

Heh I tried a quick one but it looks dumb.

uKPmU.jpg

Man, just went 27-6, and the team won 1000-0. Seize ground on factorum, I rushed their control point with a melta and improved charge, stopped them dead and got a killstreak up to 8 before they killed me and got their first point. At that point it was already 170-0 or so, and we had the middle controlled. Just kept running in there and ruinin their day, the improved melta is just nasty.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, the ending....true W40K. There can never be happiness, only grim darkness and the Inquisition being jackasses.

Pyke Presco said:
Man, just went 27-6, and the team won 1000-0. Seize ground on factorum, I rushed their control point with a melta and improved charge, stopped them dead and got a killstreak up to 8 before they killed me and got their first point. At that point it was already 170-0 or so, and we had the middle controlled. Just kept running in there and ruinin their day, the improved melta is just nasty.

The melta is fucking awesome.

I just know that there are guys throwing controllers and freaking out when I take on three of them and fluke my way into killing all three with my melta gun.

Three dudes...three shots (with plenty of panic rolls and stun stomps between each shot)...and then three dead dudes.

I love this game. It's only going to be better when Gears 3 comes out as all the tools will go there. :)

Truant

I love how this relatively "small" title has infinitely better gunplay (in SP at least) than Gears of War 2. Everything comes together, the sound, the animation, the blood splatters. It feels soooo good.

What's the max killstreak? Is it 10? I hit it twice, but wasn't paying attention to the icons on the top of the screen on the way up.

I did it once with a Tac marine with a stalker bolter and meltagun, and I did it with my Assault marine (plasma pistol and power sword).

bigdaddygamebot said:
The melta is fucking awesome.

I just know that there are guys throwing controllers and freaking out when I take on three of them and fluke my way into killing all three with my melta gun.

Three dudes...three shots (with plenty of panic rolls and stun stomps between each shot)...and then three dead dudes.

I love this game. It's only going to be better when Gears 3 comes out as all the tools will go there. :)

My only problem with the melta-gun is that it's the weapon most affected by lag. It actually reminds me of the shotgun in Gears of War - sometimes you feel like an unstoppable god with it because it's so fast and precise, and other times, it feels like it's shooting wisps of air and doing nothing.

So I only use it as a second weapon on my tac marine, never a single, primary weapon. That stalker bolter is my bread-and-butter. :D

Darklord said:
The warhammer's are kinda bullshit in multiplayer. If you go up against someone with anything less you're dead in 2 seconds.

Hit Y (on Xbox 360) to interrupt a melee attack. The hammer is so slow on the wind-up, so it's really easy to interrupt. Then they're done.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Got into a great private match last night with some people from the official forums that lasted for Hoooouuuurs... was awesome. Regular 2-1 scores in the 30-13 / 36-17 range... i finally really found a groove with the warhammer and started completely wrecking shit .. not to mention unlocking true grit and all the wonderful death that accompanies a one handed bolter + face smash combo... nothing like watching 4 or 5 guys from the other team actively come after you and you alone because you are the main wrecking force of an entire team.

I will say tho that for the first time I've really gotten my mind around just how annoying it is to have the one hit kill perk on the hammer and NOT kill people in one hit. I count on that perk to keep me mobile as i swing once and usually switch to my next target before the swing is even done ... so to have the guy still be alive afterwards fucks up my day. Still awesome in so many ways tho...

Eppy Thatcher said:
Got into a great private match last night with some people from the official forums that lasted for Hoooouuuurs... was awesome. Regular 2-1 scores in the 30-13 / 36-17 range... i finally really found a groove with the warhammer and started completely wrecking shit .. not to mention unlocking true grit and all the wonderful death that accompanies a one handed bolter + face smash combo... nothing like watching 4 or 5 guys from the other team actively come after you and you alone because you are the main wrecking force of an entire team.

I will say tho that for the first time I've really gotten my mind around just how annoying it is to have the one hit kill perk on the hammer and NOT kill people in one hit. I count on that perk to keep me mobile as i swing once and usually switch to my next target before the swing is even done ... so to have the guy still be alive afterwards fucks up my day. Still awesome in so many ways tho...

Impressive. I'm usually only +4 or +5 after a match, but I'm playing siege, so I'm usually more concerned about capping points. Although I DO love those multi-kill bonuses. :D

Lime

Wow. Despite the extreme low number of maps, the MP is still captivating and entertaining as fuck. Too bad a bug caused me to lose all of my progress in terms of perks. Apparently it's a known issue for many people.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Impressive. I'm usually only +4 or +5 after a match, but I'm playing siege, so I'm usually more concerned about capping points. Although I DO love those multi-kill bonuses. :D

All my matches were actually seige matches cause those points rack up good.. i actually do better for the most part with my k/d ratio on capture and hold style games because you can predict where people are going, see where people are and also easily spot holes behind what would be a front line. Perfect info for a massively destructive assault marine :)

I'm glad you are warming up to the multi quite a bit more... it really is a fuckin great experience once you get into a game... i think until the patch drops (and even then .. only when it's confirmed to actually work) i'm gonna stick with private matches. There seem to be a steady stream of players on the official forums (ps3 connection issues thread) and hopefully a gaf group here that want to play all the time and are tired of waiting for relic to get off their ass and do something helpful...

Eppy Thatcher said:
All my matches were actually seige matches cause those points rack up good.. i actually do better for the most part with my k/d ratio on capture and hold style games because you can predict where people are going, see where people are and also easily spot holes behind what would be a front line. Perfect info for a massively destructive assault marine :)

I'm glad you are warming up to the multi quite a bit more... it really is a fuckin great experience once you get into a game... i think until the patch drops (and even then .. only when it's confirmed to actually work) i'm gonna stick with private matches. There seem to be a steady stream of players on the official forums (ps3 connection issues thread) and hopefully a gaf group here that want to play all the time and are tired of waiting for relic to get off their ass and do something helpful...

Wait, you still get points toward armor and weapon unlocks in private games?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Wait, you still get points toward armor and weapon unlocks in private games?

Yuuuup! I got a bunch of my kill streak points, my hammer almost to 250 and a bunch of bolter kills... all from the same game.

Eppy Thatcher said:
Yuuuup! I got a bunch of my kill streak points, my hammer almost to 250 and a bunch of bolter kills... all from the same game.

Great, so I just need some people to private game with.

I'm a little tired of getting into games where three power-sword swipes don't do jack.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Great, so I just need some people to private game with.

I'm a little tired of getting into games where three power-sword swipes don't do jack.

It's a complete change of pace to get in a game with no one below 18, your strikes all connect if they are lined up right and gaining levels isn't a grind. It's a fuckin joy.

PSN: SilkySm00th ... add me and i'll throw you an invite whenever i get into one of these forum private matches...

but now i'm remembering ... your on xbox :( still .. private that shit up. Big dog style..

AEREC

Truant said:
I love how this relatively "small" title has infinitely better gunplay (in SP at least) than Gears of War 2. Everything comes together, the sound, the animation, the blood splatters. It feels soooo good.

Im pretty sure you are in the minority there...both games have good gunplay mechanics and I wouldn't one is "infinitely" better than the other.

Pretty much done with multiplayer. Unlocked all the parts I care about, can't really bring myself keep playing through the same 4 maps, same 2 modes (only one of which is fun), and experience the same inconsistent moment-to-moment BS thanks to some of the worst online code I've seen this generation.

Gonna jump into the single-player game and enjoy myself then put it on the shelf and move on to the next big game.

For those that love the game, enjoy.

Truant said:

Ha. You're lucky that you added the "in SP at least" clause AND that you're not referring directly to GoW3's Gnasher ;).

And yes, this game does have some pretty meaty gunplay. The stalker bolter is where it's at.

mickcenary said:
Ha. You're lucky that you added the "in SP at least" clause AND that you're not referring directly to GoW3's Gnasher ;).

And yes, this game does have some pretty meaty gunplay. The stalker bolter is where it's at.
Standard bolter, chainsword and lascannon are my favorites so far, along with the heavy bolter in multiplayer. Setting up and then unleashing a torrent of hell upon your enemies feels great.

Love the thunder hammer but I prefer the more fluid motions you get with the other melee weapons.

Mdk7

Guys just a quick question, don't make me search through 50 pages...
Would you recommend Warhammer 40K ONLY considering the single player portion of the game?
Mind i'm usually not into online multiplayer, but the demo got me really hooked... i LOVE the fact it's both an action AND a shooter, really.
So what do you say guys, YAY or NAY? Is the single player campaign like a 4hrs extra (with the MP being the real focus of the game)?
Thanks!

AiTM

Banned
Just finished it on normal. Thinking about doing a hard playthrough. Anyone beat it on hard? How frustrating was it? It seems like the checkpoints would be a bitch on hard.

Narag

SP is like 6-8 hours but the meat of the game. MP is effectively the tacked on portion but still fun with more coming down the line. I say its worth it if you like a replayable action game that isn't too complex.

AiTM said:
Just finished it on normal. Thinking about doing a hard playthrough. Anyone beat it on hard? How frustrating was it? It seems like the checkpoints would be a bitch on hard.

Hard is fine so long as you make sure to prioritize the ranged enemies that will murder you.

Mdk7 said:
Guys just a quick question, don't make me search through 50 pages...
Would you recommend Warhammer 40K ONLY considering the single player portion of the game?
Mind i'm usually not into online multiplayer, but the demo got me really hooked... i LOVE the fact it's both an action AND a shooter, really.
So what do you say guys, YAY or NAY? Is the single player campaign like a 4hrs extra (with the MP being the real focus of the game)?
Thanks!
I'd say yay, especially if the demo got you hooked. Multiplayer is something I'll only dip my feet into once in a while for kicks.

Narag said:
Hard is fine so long as you make sure to prioritize the ranged enemies that will murder you.
I could definitely see this being very important. Even in my normal run it does seem like the game becomes more focused on ranged combat as the game gets harder. I can see some cheap deaths happening on hard too as sometimes you don't have much of any cover from withering long range fire.

NIN90

That plot twist was like the most predictable twist ever.
Everythings gonna be ALRIGHT AND DANDY when we fire this cannon full of warp shit after 4 hours into the game oh wait.. especially if you knew that Chaos is in the game. Though it's pretty hard to dodge that one since they are 1 of the 2 factions in the MP.

AiTM said:

I can confidently say that, without hyperbole, 'hard' was easier for me (IRONY!). On your second play-through, you understand exactly how the game works, what's needed to kill certain enemy types, etc. I died maybe 7-10 times, mostly due to failing to notice a stupid Squigg.

And you'll have WAY more fun. This game and 'hard' go hand in hand.

Xevren

The Antitype said:
Pretty much done with multiplayer. Unlocked all the parts I care about, can't really bring myself keep playing through the same 4 maps, same 2 modes (only one of which is fun), and experience the same inconsistent moment-to-moment BS thanks to some of the worst online code I've seen this generation.

Gonna jump into the single-player game and enjoy myself then put it on the shelf and move on to the next big game.

For those that love the game, enjoy.

I'm the same way now. Multiplayer just isn't very good, assuming you can even get into matches. Loads of assault players with final vengeance, or tacts with dual weapons mainly hiding around corners with shotties. Just gets boring far too quickly.

Single player is great, so will play it a couple of more times until I'm bored with it.

Just beat it, with 2,565 ruthless kills for the cause.

This is honestly one of my GOTY contenders, if for nothing else than the pure unadulterated fun measured in grins-per-second. So many games offer so much more, but rarely manage to maintain a satisfying pace with a minimum of annoyances like Space Marine does. There is no fluff in this game and if you only have a half an hour of playtime to devote you'll still have a good time.

I want to give an extra shout out to Mark Strong, whose voicework made Titus live and breathe for me, and separated him from the flock of every other so called Space Marine in gaming. Great work.

My only gripes:
* The turret section slowed the game down without offering any new or interesting mechanics. Just hide and shoot at boring targets.
* The psykers with their "drain your health to nothing in a few seconds flat" attack. Fine on its own, but not so good when a bunch of enemies are thrown at you. You have to prioritize taking them out but if you don't manage to do it quick enough you find yourself huddling behind cover hoping one wrong button press doesn't start a combo that pulls you out into the open.
* The game needs to have some kind of defensive option you can employ, short of going into cover when your shields are down and you're under a hail of ranged fire. The game throws you into these situations several times and they have kindof a trial and error feel to them. The combat, while incredibly well done, still feels like its missing one or two tools that would round it all out.
THQ, I'm ready for more when you are.

Salazar

Maybe have a Librarian in the squad to fuck with the enemy psykers a bit. Not to kill them, because the onus to do that should still be on the player, but to fuck with them a little.

Top Bottom