• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Boogdud said:
Aside from my whinging about the terrible matchmaking in the multiplayer, I have to hand it to Relic, the single player in this game has nailed the 40k atmosphere like no other. Some of the set pieces (even though they're all on the same forge world) are just jaw-dropping for a 40k fan. There were several times I just panned around over and over standing there gawking at the art. So well done.

Yeah, same. Loved the SP in the game, especially the pacing.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Read a long thread about Assault class on the official forums with people scream about it being OP or certain weapons being useless and blah blah ...

I wanted to ask any of the assult marines here about a few things i've noticed as almost all of my 25 levels have come from Assault class...

Has anyone here mastered where in the jump you need to hit attack to do the actual swing your weapon attack while stomping instead of the full on ground pound? the animation lag at the end of ground pound is just ridiculous and i want to make the insta-kill hammer happen from the sky so i gotta get this perfected.

To someone who got kill team ... is the power sword basically just like the chainsword? (Speed, combos and all that jazz)

I want to finish off the 250 kills with the hammer because it's just a little bit too slow when you accidentally hit attack more than once.. the animation is soooooo slow and canceling it to go into a jump takes at least a second or two which often gets me killed if there is a Dev or Tac with melta watching whoevers back i just ganked...

Dead

well not really...yet
just read this:

Our team has isolated the issue and has a patch in with our QA team to verify the matchmaking issue is resolved. Again we are working as fast as we can to resolve the problem. Keep in mind you are still able to join matchmaking games in the meantime, but the wait times can exceed over 35minutes.

derp. i just had to buy the ps3 version :(

markatisu

DennisK4 said:
I am still not sure about this game.

I am a 40K fan and impressions here are good but I fear that it is to simple and samey to warrant a purchase at full price.

If you are a 40k fan its totally worth full price, but also being a 40k fan you should know this game will probably sell mediocre in the US and drop in price pretty quick.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
markatisu said:
If you are a 40k fan its totally worth full price, but also being a 40k fan you should know this game will probably sell mediocre in the US and drop in price pretty quick.

I bet it still sells enough WW to warrant a sequel.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
nexen said:
So, um, this site is a bit sketchy. You guys have used this and had no troubles? Didn't have your CC details stolen later down the road or anything?
Paid with paypal, no problems here.
Took 2 hours to get my key, but worked perfectly fine. Most of the time those guys are really hard pressed to satisfy customers because they can't risk a bad reputation on the net.

remz

Xevren said:
Final Vengeance is the most annoying perk ever. It's more annoying than martyrdom ever was.
Huge range on it and it's quite hard to get away from the radius after some guy had jetpacked into your face and smashed you with an axe

Xevren

remz said:
Huge range on it and it's quite hard to get away from the radius after some guy had jetpacked into your face and smashed you with an axe

Past few games I've been going against damn near full teams of assaults with it. They're just kamikaze warriors. Shit is getting pretty dumb, don't have any idea why they would put something so stupid in it.

Anilusion

nexen said:
So, um, this site is a bit sketchy. You guys have used this and had no troubles? Didn't have your CC details stolen later down the road or anything?

Use paypal if you're worried.

Hell, always use paypal for "questionable" websites

Narag

Final Vengeance needs toned down. Also is the control point mode bugged? Figured it'd be a point per capped point per tic to keep games close. Instead I was watching 2 points/tic if a team had the majority.

Just picked up the 360 version, gonna see how the multiplayer works on that; my laptop cries trying to give me a playable framerate. Had some credit from old trade ins so it only set me back 12 bucks, which means between the steam and console version I still am under the typical $60 retail price after taxes! Will play for at least a few weeks on console if good, otherwise I'll trade it in pretty quickly in anticipation of the dozen other games I intend to play this fall, and suffer on my laptop or a while until I build a desktop.

My service to the Dark Gods continues! Now just have to hit level 4 and get my customized armor again...

EDIT: Re: Narag

Yeah, if both teams have the same number of control points then the count goes up evenly and both teams accumulate score. However, if one team gets the advantage then the team down in control points stops gaining any score until they can deactivate some of the leading teams control points.

EDIT 2:
Oh good god this is glorious! Man, this game is way more playable on consoles than my laptop, a steay framerate fixes everything. First game already going 8-4 with a basic tac marine. Controls are a little sluggish compared to m/kb but it still plays so much better without the lag. Glory to the Dark Gods/For the Emperor!

markatisu

Just beat the game, that ending....damn the
inquisition and Leonidas
!

I fell 1 recording short of finding them all.......grrrr

The final boss fight was pretty easy, easier than the fight with
Boss Grimskull

But wow that was one hell of a game, I am ready for a sequel now!

markatisu

Alienshogun said:
I bet it still sells enough WW to warrant a sequel.

Oh definitely, it will sell enough in Europe to do that. But in the US it will do OK and drop in price. Even good selling games drop fast in price in this economy.

Salazar

markatisu said:
But wow that was one hell of a game, I am ready for a sequel now!

Pay Dan Abnett whatever it takes.

Blood Angels omnibus
features a fucking evil Inquisitor. Who would have guessed.

So, I clocked it last night on 'medium'... And I'm probably half an hour away from clocking it this afternoon on 'hard'. Funnily enough, 'hard' isn't even that bad; most sections have actually felt easier. I think it's because this time around, I'm playing far more liberally with my ammunition, i.e. no more Lascannon ammo is usually indicative of everyone being dead.

It has been 10x more fun, as well. 'Hard' is defnitely the go. My main gripes still exist, though: too few executions and a severe lack of variety in the environment. Regarding the latter, it's as if they've purposefully chosen to not show off the wonderful engine, crushing all the colours and detail. It's amazing how much better a space marine looks under a blue sky.

Other than that, the shooting and combat feels excellent. The Stalker Bolter is immensely satisfying to use and there's nothing like slotting your chainsword into a CSM's head. It'd just be nicer if there was even one more execution animation on the CSMs/daemons. I mean, there's 2 for each weapon on the Nobs/most enemies, but there's only one for the CSMs/daemons, if I recall correctly.

All in all, a very solid game that shows just how far solidarity/consistency in a game's universe and presentation go. Take heed, other developers!

mickcenary said:
All in all, a very solid game that shows just how far solidarity/consistency in a game's universe and presentation go. Take heed, other developers!

I have to agree. I finished it last night on PC on medium. KB/M-controls were surprisingly decent, but I think a controller would feel better.

As a 40K nut I have to say Relic nailed the setting and general atmosphere. As one of their first attempts at this sort of game this is fluid as butter without neglecting the fact that these Space Marines are huge and powerful. Sogood.jpg. I rocked the thunder hammer the entire time. Like a Boss. Also, best moment in the entire game SPOILER
The assault on the spire when being joined by the Blood Ravens while Ultramarine drop-pods come down from the sky. Dat 40K-feeling.

The monotonous environments were not the strongest selling point though. The art was amazing but the color palette felt limited, almost Borderlands style. During the end-game they play with other lighting which makes for some outstanding set-pieces. Most of the areas you traversed to felt a bit copy-paste and corridory, but the variety in encounters made up for that. The final battle felt a bit contrived though, and also a bit repetitive.

I would also LOVE to see more 40K-races depicted in this type of game to vary up the encounters, but I can respect the restraint Relic had to keep the story tight and not go on an all-out fan-wankfest. A possible sequel can address this though :-D. I will certainly buy it.

Eppy Thatcher said:
Has anyone here mastered where in the jump you need to hit attack to do the actual swing your weapon attack while stomping instead of the full on ground pound? the animation lag at the end of ground pound is just ridiculous and i want to make the insta-kill hammer happen from the sky so i gotta get this perfected.

Until the lag clears up, it's basically impossible to do consistently. I basically hit the attack button the second before I hit the ground and it works well enough. But honestly, I've given up on it, and focused on perfecting the art of the charged pistol shot from the sky.

Eppy Thatcher said:
To someone who got kill team ... is the power sword basically just like the chainsword? (Speed, combos and all that jazz)

Yep, same stats as the chain-sword. Looks badass though. :D

Chaos is definitely my lucky race. I win way more games as Chaos than I do as Space Marines.

I've unlocked twice as much armor for Chaos as I have for the SM.

ThatGuy

mickcenary said:
too few executions
According to an interview they had much more execution moves in the game but had to cut it due time constraints because THQ wanted the game out in September. But they were thinking about adding it back with DLC later on so there is hoping.

Salazar

The Chaos Marine execution where you jam your chainsword down through their head, if I remember right, is so fucking great.

Narag said:
Final Vengeance needs toned down. Also is the control point mode bugged? Figured it'd be a point per capped point per tic to keep games close. Instead I was watching 2 points/tic if a team had the majority.

I hate Final Vengeance ... I always forgot about it too.

I was under the impression that it ticks more the more people you have at the cap point. Or am I wrong. I thought it was a way to encourage some people to play defense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Salazar said:
The Chaos Marine execution where you jam your chainsword down through their head, if I remember right, is so fucking great.

Thats my favourite so far. A quick slash across the gut, them jamming the chainsword behind their head down the back of their suit.

Osietra

Banned
Weird. After reading this thread last night I booted up Steam to grab me this game and its not there, pretty sure I saw it last week. UK btw.
What's up with that?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Until the lag clears up, it's basically impossible to do consistently. I basically hit the attack button the second before I hit the ground and it works well enough. But honestly, I've given up on it, and focused on perfecting the art of the charged pistol shot from the sky.

Yep, same stats as the chain-sword. Looks badass though. :D

Chaos is definitely my lucky race. I win way more games as Chaos than I do as Space Marines.

I've unlocked twice as much armor for Chaos as I have for the SM.

I've managed it anywhere from about halfway down my decent .. to a moment before i hit the ground..so i'd like to pinpoint the highest point in the jump possible so i can focus on steering after he starts the animation. Charged pistola from the sky .. good call... i'd imagine that would good to time like the grenades.. where you are basically shooting it out on the way up .. so it explodes about the same time you ground pound.

Just did some testing with a buddy in a private match and ... in case your interested... standard Tacs and probably EVERY assault build dies in one jump if you have both jump pack perks on (exhaust damage and extra ground pound)... testing was done with an axe but i doubt it matters... ;)

hiverbon

Neo Member
Osietra said:
Weird. After reading this thread last night I booted up Steam to grab me this game and its not there, pretty sure I saw it last week. UK btw.
What's up with that?

Unable to purchase it via UK storefront unfortunately :( apparently down to some shenanigans with GAME forcing THQ to not sell the game on Steam. I got mine gifted from Germany and it worked fine though. You just need to get hold of a key for it (i think you can buy the key separately from other sites, although I may be wrong) or get someone in another country to gift it.

Binabik15

I want this game and the demo was fun (but I sucked at kb+m, good thing I have a controller), but I hate paying full price.

I´m buying this now, curse you Relic and your awesome games!

Herla

Ahahah this is ridiculous!

ejrxV.jpg

The game is still really fun though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
PS3gaf ... anyone want to start a game if you see me on.. silkysm00th... lemme know. I want to falcon punch someone in the face cause of this waiting. Private match is apparently the only way to go.

Salazar

Listened to the Giant Bomb talk about it.

Good, once we got past the heap of heresy/warhammer jokes. Interested to hear what Vinny thinks of the rest of the game.

derFeef

Salazar said:
Listened to the Giant Bomb talk about it.

Good, once we got past the heap of heresy/warhammer jokes. Interested to hear what Vinny thinks of the rest of the game.
Yeah, did not like Jeff talking shit about the lore... don't know whe he thinks everything is ridiculous and dumb. Sadly Kessler is reviewing it, would like to hear Brad and Vinnys experience.

Salazar said:

That's definitely one of my faveys; it's the best of the 3 for the CSM. I think the chainsword reigns supreme in terms of executions, hence why I found myself opting for it over the axe and hammer a lot of the time.

ThatGuy said:
According to an interview they had much more execution moves in the game but had to cut it due time constraints because THQ wanted the game out in September. But they were thinking about adding it back with DLC later on so there is hoping.

MAN. I hate that crap. The executions are the heart and soul of this game. As if Relic didn't have a team of 50 dudes devoted purely to crafting a plethora of the coolest fucking executions ever seen!? ;)

Darklord

Banned
mickcenary said:
That's definitely one of my faveys; it's the best of the 3 for the CSM. I think the chainsword reigns supreme in terms of executions, hence why I found myself opting for it over the axe and hammer a lot of the time.

MAN. I hate that crap. The executions are the heart and soul of this game. As if Relic didn't have a team of 50 dudes devoted purely to crafting a plethora of the coolest fucking executions ever seen!? ;)

As much as it sucks this game did need to come out now to stand a chance. If it fell between BF3, CoD, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Skytim and TOR and possibly Diablo 3. It wouldn't have even become a blip on the radar.

Kraftwerk

My friend just gifted this to me on PC ( Its mah birthday :D !! )

I was just wondering, is controller a must? I don't have one. If yes, would you recommend just a basic 360 controller?

Darklord said:
As much as it sucks this game did need to come out now to stand a chance. If it fell between BF3, CoD, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Skytim and TOR and possibly Diablo 3. It wouldn't have even become a blip on the radar.

Very true. Sometimes I forget that wages need to paid and benchmarks met. Sucks.

I'm not sure if anyone else picked up on this, but one of the first things I noticed - even in the demo - was how awesome the Bolter Pistol sounded and how pathetic the Bolter sounded in comparison (not bad, though).
Then you get the upgrade and the Bolter is imbued with a well deserved "oomph"!
I really appreciated that.

derFeef said:
Yeah, did not like Jeff talking shit about the lore... don't know whe he thinks everything is ridiculous and dumb. Sadly Kessler is reviewing it, would like to hear Brad and Vinnys experience.

It was good to hear Jeff enjoyed it, and helped illuminate the Gears clone notion being one of the biggest fallacies of recent memory, but his awful preamble over weapon names and things being "British sci-fi" or whatever he said...could have done without that. Because we'll be treated to fawning over the awkward, anchorless cheese that is Gears 3 - a load of piffle in comparison if we're talking of franchise lore, weapon design and character portrayal.

Kraftwerk said:
My friend just gifted this to me on PC ( Its mah birthday :D !! )

I was just wondering, is controller a must? I don't have one. If yes, would you recommend just a basic 360 controller?

I strongly suggest the use of a KB/M. Sure, I know for a fact that it's far more comfy to use a controller but using a mouse is a MUST in this game, especially when you play online.

Top Bottom