• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K Action-RPG announced (PC/PS4/XB1) - 2016

Haunted

Wahammer licensed games current announced:

• BattleFleet Gothic
  • Space Hulk
  • Eternal Crusade
  • Xenos
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Dawn of War 3 (rumored)
  • That Warhammer Fantasy online MP game

Somebody needs money.
AND NOT A HORUS HERESY GAME AMONG THEM

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Love HW40K. It was a shame the Space Marine Triolgy never happened. Hopefully this will be just as good.

Iv always wanted a mass effect styled inquisition game,while this will probably be a little less ambitious,I'm excited to see what they do with it.

i'm assuming they'll probably go with a diablo clone with a 40k theme,since most developers getting the warhwmmer Ip tend to be somewhat based on their previous work.

Shame that the eisenhorn IP has been given out already for a mobile game, though an original inquisitor is fine I suppose.

Z3M0G

NeocoreGames also promises that, after the campaign concludes, the story will continue “in a colossal sandbox game” that the developer claims will give players “years of constant entertainment, gradual development and a continuous flow of content that enriches the action-RPG gameplay.”

Huh... now that sounds interesting.

Edit: Wait, that sounded more alien the first time I read it... it really just sounds like DLC following release. So we can only wait and see.

Decado

I hope it is top-down isometric and the combat feels better than in van helsing (where nothin seemed to have any weight or impact).

CHC

Fuck yeah, I love this universe. I do hope it's more "RPG" than "action" though.... Why 40k has not had a real RPG yet totally boggles the mind. I really hope this won't just be a loot-treadmill with a 40K skin on top.

Neocore's last game, Deathtrap, was pretty good. Not great, but good.

At least on the PC, if you have an action RPG newly releasing I feel you kind of need to have a gimmick or specialization at this point. Diablo III exists on one end of the spectrum and Path of Exile on the other, and unless you bring something specific and interesting to the table your game will just not really attract players better served by the existing powerhouses.

Do WH40K licenses come in cereal boxes or what? Hope this is a gem among all the shovelware.

lol, first response at seeing the thread was "holy shit, my dream game!", then of course I open it and see it's another obscure C-team developer. I've heard Van Helsing is pretty decent, but Games Workshop seems to have a strict policy of "no interesting devs" for WH40K projects. Which is a shame after the triumphant reveal of Total Warhammer. Why not give their flagship property such consideration?

Still waiting patiently for Dawn of War 3. I'll keep my eyes open with this one but I'm skeptical to say the least.

Huh... now that sounds interesting.

Edit: Wait, that sounded more alien the first time I read it... it really just sounds like DLC following release. So we can only wait and see.

Exactly. They're promising a steady DLC stream and not even being sly about it.

Azih

There's been so many mediocre Warhammer games lately. But it's such an absurdly rich universe! It's perfect for any kind of game you can imagine.

Honestly. There's no genre that couldn't fit in the universe!

At this point Games Workshop seems like an IP licensor with the tabletop game being a bit of a formality.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't know anything about this developer but more 40K games are a good thing. The licence could be huge if they do it right.

Space Marine was decent but it could have been so much more.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if its like van helsing itll be across 3 games, then after 3rd release join all the games together and cut the fat

they are doing that with van helsing in september they are releasing a new packaged game that joins all 3. if you own all 3 now this repakcaged version is free

I remember when Space Marine was on track to be an epic action-RPG.

Estimated time til this is announced to be a budget twin-stick shooter or a card game?

The gameplay-less teaser isn't promising.

Adnor

Banned
We play as an Inquisitor? Oh man I want to know all the bad decisions the character will make in the story.

Haunted

I'm more a Legiones Astartes man.

They inquisitors are a bit too SS-y for my liking. I know the whole 40k Imperium is a bit Nazi-ish, but the inquisitors are really pushing my personal limits. :D

As I said in other threads, I'm more into the whole Horus Heresy part of the universe, where inquisitors didn't exist yet.

Does this mean that Games Workshop has stopped suing people over tattoos, or using the term "space marine" in unrelated science fiction?

Means people aren't buying their absurdly priced miniatures on a large enough scale to keep the company afloat and they're suddenly regretting how overprotective they've been of their properties. Like a preacher's kid that sleeps around and ODs on heroine the second they leave the nest.

Does The Games Workshop have kids in college or a yacht to pay for? Licenses are being thrown about with wild abandon.

"Notice me, Slaneesh-senpai?"

Oh god, a highschool drama with the 4 chaos gods as the student council or something. It's terrifying.

Let's make it happen.

...I would pay a large sum of money for this.

Nikodemos

At this point Games Workshop seems like an IP licensor with the tabletop game being a bit of a formality.
Well, IP licencing has the best money-to-effort ratio. And GW has been less and less willing to put in effort regarding their IPs.

Stevey

Looking forward to more WH40K, but the Van Helsing games didnt really gel with me for some reason, hopefully this will.

The inquisition is probably my least liked part of the whole Imperium mythos but fuck, whatever it takes to get more big budget 40k spectacles man.

Your heresy shall not be tolerated. You have been marked for purging. You shall be cleansed in the flames of righteousness.

So do we reckon this will be a Diablo/Van Helsing style aRPG?

I'd prefer a Witcher 3 style action RPG, but given that the developers Van Helsing game is a Diablo style aRPG I'm guessing that's probably what they'll do. Wouldn't be surprised if they use the same engine with it since they are a smaller size developer.

I'll probably get it either way, I really like the 40K universe in games with Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine. And there was a turnbased iOS game that just got released too that I hear good things about.

Rymuth

I'm more a Legiones Astartes man.

They inquisitors are a bit too SS-y for my liking. I know the whole 40k Imperium is a bit Nazi-ish, but the inquisitors are really pushing my personal limits. :D

As I said in other threads, I'm more into the whole Horus Heresy part of the universe, where inquisitors didn't exist yet.
Read Eisenhorn and Ravenor. They're very likeable Inquisitors.

Ciaphas Cain's lover is also a very likeable Inquisitor.

dmr87

I hope there's more to it than Space Marines, I want a good Warhammer 40k game with some new races. So much to choose from.

Top Bottom