• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K Action-RPG announced (PC/PS4/XB1) - 2016

szaromir

Banned
I'm more a Legiones Astartes man.

They inquisitors are a bit too SS-y for my liking. I know the whole 40k Imperium is a bit Nazi-ish, but the inquisitors are really pushing my personal limits. :D

As I said in other threads, I'm more into the whole Horus Heresy part of the universe, where inquisitors didn't exist yet.

Did you read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies? If not, you definitely should, it might give you a different perspective on the Inquisition. I really like that dilemma every inquisitor faces - just to how extent can they study and use Chaos to defeat Chaos before they become corrupted?

Bloody awesome.

I'm loving how many GW games keep getting made. Makes up for the fact I don't have the time or spare cash to play the real games anymore!

Azih

"Notice me, Slaneesh-senpai?"

Oh god, a highschool drama with the 4 chaos gods as the student council or something. It's terrifying.

Let's make it happen.

We write up a one page pitch proposal and include a tenner in the envelope and I'm sure we'll get the license the way GW's been throwing it around.

Wahammer licensed games current announced:

• BattleFleet Gothic
  • Space Hulk
  • Eternal Crusade
  • Xenos
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Dawn of War 3 (rumored)
  • That Warhammer Fantasy online MP game

Somebody needs money.

You forgot Deathwatch on IOS

You forgot Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

Blood Bowl sequel, and Mordheim is still not fully out yet. Vermintide, and Deathwatch

Geez.

Always happy to see more Space Hulk, and I'm hoping Deathwatch turns out good.

Wish Vengeance of the Blood Angels would get put on GOG or even remade.

Waitaminute, the Van Helsing guys did King Arthur too?

Goddamn, never knew that! These guys are legit.

OT: Moar 40k! GAMES FOR THE GAME GOD, LICENSES FOR THE LICENSES THRONE!

Hope we can play as the Tau.

Tacitus_

Inquisition RPG! Yay!
Action RPG? OK, cool?

Not that I have anything against action RPGs but what I'd love is a dialogue heavy RPG from Obsidian. But we can't have everything we want.

Tacitus_

We write up a one page pitch proposal and include a tenner in the envelope and I'm sure we'll get the license the way GW's been throwing it around.

Cultist-chan the dating sim?

mY9xC1A.jpg

Wahammer licensed games current announced:

• BattleFleet Gothic
  • Space Hulk
  • Eternal Crusade
  • Xenos
  • Total War: Warhammer
  • Dawn of War 3 (rumored)
  • That Warhammer Fantasy online MP game

Somebody needs money.

These two are all you need. In fact, those two are more game than I'll ever need.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
There is a game called Eisenhorn: Xenos for that.

Gregor voiced by Mark Strong.

Mobile game though :(

http://toucharcade.com/2015/03/02/gdc-2015-eisenhorn-xenos/

There's going to be a Steam version but I've never played a Steam version of a mobile game that hasn't sucked. Still, it's nice to see that one of Abnett's inquisitors will get a game - he's by far the best writer in the WH40K stable.

Seconding all the posts asking for a Space Marine 2 - the first one was so much fun and I want to see what happens to
Titus after the Inquisition takes him away due to that little toady Leandros.
. Dumbass rookie.

Love the Warhammer universe, glad all these games are being licensed. Also off topic, sorta, but is Warhammer 40K: Space Marine worth a purchase? I've heard mostly good things.

Of all the titles Total War: Warhammer has me the most excited. I've been wanting the Total War franchise to branch off into fantasy settings forever, and this is the best I could ask for. I'm so excited to see how they handle the leveling of Ork boys etc, I assume they will grow larger the more combat experience they have, and political systems with all the infighting (hopefully) will be there.

I was excited for the Streum studios game Deathwing, since E.Y.E Divine was the closest game I've played to a proper 40k game. But I'm not a huge fan of the space hulk type setting, so it sounds like it might just be a killing floor type game with Marines and Genestealers.

Abdiel

Read Eisenhorn and Ravenor. They're very likeable Inquisitors.

Ciaphas Cain's lover is also a very likeable Inquisitor.

If you're going to speak of Amberly Vail, at least do so by name. She's awesome. Her anecdotes at the bottom of Cain's memoirs are often hilarious. Cain is a great character, but how she adds some further context really adds to the overall experience.

Love the Warhammer universe, glad all these games are being licensed. Also off topic, sorta, but is Warhammer 40K: Space Marine worth a purchase? I've heard mostly good things.

Yes, absolutely. It's a fun TPS that manages to eschew any sort of cover shooting.

If you're going to speak of Amberly Vail, at least do so by name. She's awesome. Her anecdotes at the bottom of Cain's memoirs are often hilarious. Cain is a great character, but how she adds some further context really adds to the overall experience.

<3 Amberly. Hope we get a new one soon, The Greater Good came out more than 2 years ago and since then, nada.

Abdiel

Yes, absolutely. It's a fun TPS that manages to eschew any sort of cover shooting.

<3 Amberly. Hope we get a new one soon, The Greater Good came out more than 2 years ago and since then, nada.

Agreed. I also wish they'd release another run of the Omnibus set, it's so ridiculously expensive to find a copy now, and my copy of Hero of the Imperium got rained on because of my last car having a faulty seal on the trunk.

I also need more stuff from Gaunt's Ghosts.

The inquisition is probably my least liked part of the whole Imperium mythos but fuck, whatever it takes to get more big budget 40k spectacles man.

The Inquisition or Rogue Trader are the only two parts of the Imperium that they can use to make a Mass Effect like game with. Of course you won't be teaming up with any Xenos because that is pure heresy, however being able to explore alien worlds would be epic... until the Nids come... then all will be devoured.

The Inquisition or Rogue Trader are the only two parts of the Imperium that they can use to make a Mass Effect like game with. Of course you won't be teaming up with any Xenos because that is pure heresy, however being able to explore alien worlds would be epic... until the Nids come... then all will be devoured.

Rogue traders and radical Ordo Xenos have actually teamed up with some aliens before, so hope is not dead!

Agreed. I also wish they'd release another run of the Omnibus set, it's so ridiculously expensive to find a copy now, and my copy of Hero of the Imperium got rained on because of my last car having a faulty seal on the trunk.

I also need more stuff from Gaunt's Ghosts.

I feel weirdly guilty asking for more Ghosts, since they've really been through enough at this point and any new novel would certainly entail more suffering :p

Abdiel

Rogue traders and radical Ordo Xenos have actually teamed up with some aliens before, so hope is not dead!

I feel weirdly guilty asking for more Ghosts, since they've really been through enough at this point and any new novel would certainly entail more suffering :p

While I know what you mean... At the same time, the Ghosts and their trials, losses, victories and growth have been one of the most uniquely potent series I've read. The losses of characters in the Ghosts series tend to hit me harder than those in the Song of Ice and Fire novels.

Rymuth

I thought it'd appropriate, given their relationship. Afterall, Cain is HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.

Also, expanding on what I've said before, let's add Inquisitor Barzano to the list of good guy Inquisitors. He's the shinning star in an Ultramarines book.

Tacitus_

There's only so many times you can write a book around "and of course, I <took the safer option>, but if I had known where that would take me, I'd rather <suicidal action>"

Someone mentioned on the Warseer forums, that Sandy Mitchell, the author, isn't working for Black Library anymore.

Oh, that's a damn shame.

OT: Videogames! Are we thinking this'll be a Diablo like a la Van Helsing, or something more Souls-esque? The former would be... kind of disappointing, I think, since it'd be so similar to what they just did, but I could see myself enjoying it nevertheless.

Mentok

Banned
This looks like it could be a lot of fun! Not to go off topic, but has there ever been a WH tps strategic rpg (like x-com or valk chron)? I'd love for one of those on console.

Naminator

Banned
Man I love me some Warhammer!

Bring it on baby BRING IT ON!

I just hope the licence will finally get some decent games under it's belt, not counting the Strategy games of course.

4Tran

Oh, that's a damn shame.

OT: Videogames! Are we thinking this'll be a Diablo like a la Van Helsing, or something more Souls-esque? The former would be... kind of disappointing, I think, since it'd be so similar to what they just did, but I could see myself enjoying it nevertheless.
W40K is about larger than life characters wading through tons of enemies so a lootfest game is far more suitable than something like the Souls titles. There's a chance that it'll be a third-person shooter like Space Marine instead, but that's probably very unlikely.

DrZeus

Yes. PLEASE.

Especially with a more fleshed-out MP with dedicated servers and more players.
So much this. The more wh40k games means more chances for great games in that universe outside of the rts games that have been proven their quality. I'm excited for them all.

g23

European pre-madonna
My dream is for a mass effect style warhammer RPG with AAA production values. But this is top down so don't think it fits the mold.

Azih

W40K is about larger than life characters wading through tons of enemies so a lootfest game is far more suitable than something like the Souls titles. There's a chance that it'll be a third-person shooter like Space Marine instead, but that's probably very unlikely.

40K is rich enough for a lot of different kind of stories. An inquisitor trying to uncover a genestealer cult for example would be far more of an adventure detective type of game experience than a SPESS MARINE kill fest.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
I reckon a Inquisition RPG with full Choice/Consequence would be hard to design/develop. Mainly because it would need a lot of nuance to correctly represent the Order and its duties. Maybe a detective game à la L.A. Noire would be better suited for the job?

zonezeus

They're making a Battlefleet Gothic game?! Holy shit, that's my favourite GW game, and I didn't even play Necrons!

I played Chaos...

Top Bottom