• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Zeliard said:
Well, hey, obviously you can feel how you feel. It's your opinion, I was just trying to explain where I'm coming from. I think DoW's campaign is simply a wonderful marriage of RTS and lite RPG. Truant said it right when he called it a mix of Company of Heroes and Diablo, and as good as that hybrid sounds on paper, it's even better in execution.

I was telling a co-worker today that it really brought me back to the original Baldur's Gate. I'm really invested in my squads. I'm already envisioning multiple playthroughs with a force commander tricked out for ranged combat and having Tarkus' and Thaddeus' squads spec'd in a more versatile fashion to allow them to swap out gear for both ranged or melee as individual missions warrant.

I find myself wishing I could hit the space bar to pause the game and issue commands, but I REALLY want to be able to pause it so I could zoom the camera in, pan it around the models and simply marvel at how fuckin' rad they look when their bolters are spitting out righteous death.

Being able to pause the game to issue commands, even in a limited fashion would make the game one of my all-time favourites but that's just me being picky.

TheExodu5

Banned
IJoel said:
Can anyone with a GTX 280 comment about how it performs with the game? I'm considering getting that card... perhaps I should post this question in one of the PC threads. :p

Don't have the card myself, but I don't think you'd be dropping below 60fps at all at 1680*1050.

My 8800GT usually stays above 40fps on Ultra. The GTX280 should be doubling that easily.

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
I was telling a co-worker today that it really brought me back to the original Baldur's Gate. I'm really invested in my squads. I'm already envisioning multiple playthroughs with a force commander tricked out for ranged combat and having Tarkus' and Thaddeus' squads spec'd in a more versatile fashion to allow them to swap out gear for both ranged or melee as individual missions warrant.

I find myself wishing I could hit the space bar to pause the game and issue commands, but I REALLY want to be able to pause it so I could zoom the camera in, pan it around the models and simply marvel at how fuckin' rad they look when they're bolters are spitting out righteous death.

Being able to pause the game to issue commands, even in a limited fashion would make the game one of my all-time favourites but that's just me being picky.

You can actually pan around and I think even give orders when you have the menu up (with F10), which pauses the game.

But you still have it blocking your view, which is unfortunate.

And yeah, the game is gorgeous visually, and runs really well, which I was really happy with (it runs much more smoothly than CoH for me maxed out @ 1680x1050, and also looks better). Love the particle effects and the detail on the character models. Even zoomed all the way up it's really easy to tell who's who and even what weapon they're carrying.

MaritalWheat said:
Haven't tried it yet, but in CoH you could actually just hit pause and issue commands. Obviously not very neat, but hey, its worth a shot.

Could you? Don't think I ever bothered to. :lol

bigdaddygamebot said:
I find myself wishing I could hit the space bar to pause the game and issue commands, but I REALLY want to be able to pause it so I could zoom the camera in, pan it around the models and simply marvel at how fuckin' rad they look when they're bolters are spitting out righteous death.

Haven't tried it yet, but in CoH you could actually just hit pause and issue commands. Obviously not very neat, but hey, its worth a shot.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TheExodu5 said:
Don't have the card myself, but I don't think you'd be dropping below 60fps at all at 1680*1050.

My 8800GT usually stays above 40fps on Ultra. The GTX280 should be doubling that easily.
Yeah, he will in epic battles on ultra settings. (I have 2 technicaly) . However it is only noticeable if he uses FRAPS.

dLMN8R

So I've been following this game closely since announcement, but didn't play the beta much and I haven't purchases the game yet either.

The problem is that I just plain suck at playing RTSs online, and don't have the time I can set aside to totally master any races usually. Therefore, I usually stick only to the single-player campaigns, maybe occasionally playing a friend online, and that's about it.

Should I buy this game for $50 even though I probably won't be taking it online very much? The campaign sounds very cool, right up my alley instead of your standard fare single-player RTS campaign structure.

bigdaddygamebot said:

I find myself wishing I could hit the space bar to pause the game and issue commands, but I REALLY want to be able to pause it so I could zoom the camera in, pan it around the models and simply marvel at how fuckin' rad they look when their bolters are spitting out righteous death.

The "Pause" key pauses for me, found out as its my Steam overlay key.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
dLMN8R said:
So I've been following this game closely since announcement, but didn't play the beta much and I haven't purchases the game yet either.

The problem is that I just plain suck at playing RTSs online, and don't have the time I can set aside to totally master any races usually. Therefore, I usually stick only to the single-player campaigns, maybe occasionally playing a friend online, and that's about it.

Should I buy this game for $50 even though I probably won't be taking it online very much? The campaign sounds very cool, right up my alley instead of your standard fare single-player RTS campaign structure.

I bought it for the MP and have only played co-op so far and I'm really impressed. The story isn't much to write about, but that the presentation, the battles, the game. It's just well put together. Easily one of my most entertaining purchases this year. Probably a top on my RTS games played too so far. I did play a lot of the beta and am waiting to get into that too.

dLMN8R

Well I bought it, I doubt I'll be disappointed :D

Insane, purchased it 20 minutes ago and it's already 60% done. Going at a constant 1.5MB/sec.

CTLance

MaritalWheat said:
Curses, I picked up -51 rating armor that you can't throw out, taking up an inventory slot. Yeah, fuck you too Relic. :lol
Wait, we get <RPG>cursed items</RPG>? Awesome. I really hope for a space exploration/dungeon crawler now. It seems like everything is in place, all we'd need would be a random map generator and a bunch of mods to the fleet/orbital interface.

Hari Seldon

Hmmm trying to play this tonight but it is hanging on my Windows Live login. This is not promising. Why do I need to log in to both Steam and Windows Live to play my single player campaign??

IJoel

TheExodu5 said:

I currently have the 8800GTS (640 MB version) and my framerate goes from 35-45 on Ultra settings at 1680x1050. Perhaps I should keep this one until the next round of video cards.

Hari Seldon said:
Hmmm trying to play this tonight but it is hanging on my Windows Live login. This is not promising. Why do I need to log in to both Steam and Windows Live to play my single player campaign??
In steam, go to File -> Go Offline

CTLance

Banjo Tango said:
But that won't help with his GFW login problem...

I'd suggest using an offline GFW account. Those can't be used for achievements if I've understood this correctly, but playing game > not playing game.

Hari Seldon

Banjo Tango said:

No steam isn't the problem. When I click on Campaign it requires you to log in to Games for Windows Live. It hangs there and I have to ctrl-alt-delete and kill the game. I can log into the Games for Windows Live tool external to the game no problem. I'll try tomorrow but this is pretty ridiculous that you cannot bypass this to play single player.

CTLance

Hari Seldon said:
It hangs there and I have to ctrl-alt-delete and kill the game. I can log into the Games for Windows Live tool external to the game no problem.
Maybe uninstalling/reinstalling will help? I think your GFW installation might be fucked.
Or your graphic card drivers might b too old for the overlay to work.
Or you have some software running that throws a fit (like antivirus software with badly working heuristic scanning engines?).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow I just beat the game entirely in coop on primarch and didn't get either the coop achievement nor the primarch clear achievement.

Fuck sakes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If one of you guys sent me a friend request under a name that starts with Tenspeed, I slipped and accidentally rejected it. Resend it and I'll accept

mr stroke

having tons of fun with the single player so far. Just really sad they let me down on the story :(
great voice acting and presentation but nothing to tie everything together. I wish they would have used gameplay into CG transitions(Final Fantasy 7 style) between every battle as it would give the game such a better connection with the characters. Oh well, still great so far.

And holly shit fuck at the sound!!!! best sound in an RTS ever! its something thats generally skipped over in this genre but Relic nailed it here.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Nocebo said:
Anyone here playing multiplayer much?
I'm having a blast. I racked up an 18 win streak in 3v3 so far.

it's the micro machines 2 of rts in the same way tf2 is the micro machines 2 of fps.

epmode

Hari Seldon said:
No steam isn't the problem. When I click on Campaign it requires you to log in to Games for Windows Live. It hangs there and I have to ctrl-alt-delete and kill the game. I can log into the Games for Windows Live tool external to the game no problem. I'll try tomorrow but this is pretty ridiculous that you cannot bypass this to play single player.
I've mentioned this before, but try disabling your software firewall as you log into Live. Some firewalls just won't let you log in to an in-game Live, regardless of which ports you've opened and which software you've allowed.

You can re-enable the firewall as soon as you're logged in.

BTW, I'm able to play the single-player mode when logged in to an offline Live account.

Nocebo

I wonder if they'll ever improve unit ai. It takes my nob squad aprox. 30 billion hours to start whacking away at a target because for some reason all of them need to surround it first and they keep bumping into each other or are obstructed by other units. Really odd.

God I wish I was at home playing this, I was actually having a hard time getting to sleep thinking what I could do with Avitus and Thaddeus in Terminator armour as well :lol

Mohonky

Sinatar said:
Wow I just beat the game entirely in coop on primarch and didn't get either the coop achievement nor the primarch clear achievement.

Fuck sakes.

Yeh end game achievements don't work for me neither.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So I logged on and noticed a 1.1.2 path update. My in-game patch notes are apparently written in Tyranid, but the forums say that it's a hotfix for 32-bit OS memory leaks and crashes.

Also, the popcap bug should be fixed by tomorrow.

Nocebo

Xapati said:
Are you playing tyranids with a Ravener Alpha?
No, orks with warboss in 3v3. My friend plays tech marine and we had a random teammate with the apothecary who joined us for 10 games. We did stomp a couple of raveners though.

Only one crash on my end so far, playing on High on Vista 32, haven't tried to see if I can run Ultra smoothly yet.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

* Improved memory heap management to reduce 'out-of-memory' crashes that were plaguing certain systems, including 32-Bit Vista on High and Ultra settings. Often reported as 'error 183 failed to create to create dump'

Hari Seldon

epmode said:
I've mentioned this before, but try disabling your software firewall as you log into Live. Some firewalls just won't let you log in to an in-game Live, regardless of which ports you've opened and which software you've allowed.

You can re-enable the firewall as soon as you're logged in.

BTW, I'm able to play the single-player mode when logged in to an offline Live account.

I played it over the weekend no problem at all with the same setup. I will try again tonight, maybe their servers were swamped or something?

Philthy

It's amusing to see people write how weak the story is. For the 40k universe, the story line is pretty damn deep since you've got multiple factions warring with each other, all causing breakdowns across multiple worlds. I've read far too many 40k paperbacks, and the story in the game is probably about as deep as I've seen the universe get. Warriors of Ultramar detailed almost the same plot as the game, but there wasn't any Eldar or Orks thrown into the mix. I guess I'm just a sucker for 40k fluff and all that, but I think the story in DoW2 is excellent. Each mission progresses as they encounter the shadow covering the warp. You know exactly what is coming, and the Deathwatch Scout knows it, but no one else does. The ignorant Forgeworld pretending all is well until the last minute. I love it.

You always get to read about small squad skirmishes in the books. Taking over landing zones, finding a relic, disabling something, taking out a boss. I never thought I'd be able to play that out. The fact that the game focuses on central characters rather than just a large zerg of troops being spit out of a barracks building makes it feel like you're playing out one of the many books.

Xapati

Nocebo said:
No, orks with warboss in 3v3. My friend plays tech marine and we had a random teammate with the apothecary who joined us for 10 games. We did stomp a couple of raveners though.

That's pretty good then. I hate those damn raveners.

Proc

I agree Philthy, the story has a very grande scale to it. Many other rts games try to emulate the scale DoW2 achieves but none of them really pull it off. It's hard to point out why it works so well here aside from presentation and story telling, but all in all it just works. The way Relic have been introducing the new races is top notch stuff to. It shares a similar vibe starcraft's campaign had...I wonder why ;)

Proc

Darkflight said:
Has anyone else had missions where the missions ends too fast for you to pick up the item dropped by the boss?

I could be wrong but don't you get it anyways?

Nocebo

Xapati said:
That's pretty good then. I hate those damn raveners.
Yah I hate em too. Nids in general really. But lately we've been countering them pretty well. I make sure to tech to flamers and a deff dread with a flamer asap when I know I'm going up against them. Also the warboss' stomp attack works wonders against the swarms.

Mohonky

Game is attempting to load, then starts updating, then stops updating and informs me game can't be played at this time :/

thaOwner

Man, am taking a beat down on Captain difficulty. I can't even get pass the first fucking boss. His
Shockwave
attack is a one hit KO for all my squads except captain who takes two hits. If it wasn't for the fact that
you still get experience even if you loose a battle, i'd be getting heated right about now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neo-Sheperd said:
Man, am taking a beat down on Captain difficulty. I can't even get pass the first fucking boss. His
Shockwave
attack is a one hit KO for all my squads except captain who takes two hits. If it wasn't for the fact that
you still get experience even if you loose a battle, i'd be getting heated right about now.

All the bosses telegraph their big attacks and will usually mark the ground with where it's going to hit. Just move out of the way.

Anno

So for someone who is terrible at RTS multiplayer, but loves action RPGs, is it worth a buy now or hold out for some kind of Steam sale in the future? Watching videos is getting me pumped I admit.

Anno said:
So for someone who is terrible at RTS multiplayer, but loves action RPGs, is it worth a buy now or hold out for some kind of Steam sale in the future? Watching videos is getting me pumped I admit.
rts skills are not required for the single player at all

Alright, well my record is 1-11 right now and I am clearly not "getting" it. I did surprisingly well in the beta and I had an above .500 record, but clearly changes were made. I have been using the Eldar and I can't seem to kill anything, even with my walkers, who seem to get taken out almost immediately. What are some good group combos and units?

Anno

Cat in the Hat said:
rts skills are not required for the single player at all

I should probably rephrase that: Should I get this game for the single player alone? Doubtless I would try the multiplayer, as I always do, and it's always just utterly impenetrable.

Anno said:
I should probably rephrase that: Should I get this game for the single player alone? Doubtless I would try the multiplayer, as I always do, and it's always just utterly impenetrable.
I think it depends on the person. I poopsocked the game in about three days and really enjoyed it. I'm satisfied with my purchase, but on the other hand i don't want to play the multiplayer and i don't think the single player is worth it to go through again.

Only time i'll play this again is if they expand the single player. I had great fun though. 9/10

Kestastrophe said:
Alright, well my record is 1-11 right now and I am clearly not "getting" it. I did surprisingly well in the beta and I had an above .500 record, but clearly changes were made. I have been using the Eldar and I can't seem to kill anything, even with my walkers, who seem to get taken out almost immediately. What are some good group combos and units?

With the Eldar you have to retreat alot, and try to trap your enemy and tech up and get your avatar or your grav tank. At tier two, i think your warlock gets an aoe ability which totally kicks ass. You have also use your range and if you think your going to lose a fight fall back.

Top Bottom