• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

What the fuck is up with this day advancing crap? Can I not retry missions? I like to try stupid shit on occasion in missions. Am I getting punished for this?

PedroLumpy said:
What the fuck is up with this day advancing crap? Can I not retry missions? I like to try stupid shit on occasion in missions. Am I getting punished for this?
Yeah that does kinda suck, but it encourages you to be less reckless.

Mrbob

PedroLumpy said:

I believe the only missions you lose out on by screwing up are optional missions, but I could be wrong.

mr stroke

Kestastrophe said:
Alright, well my record is 1-11 right now and I am clearly not "getting" it. I did surprisingly well in the beta and I had an above .500 record, but clearly changes were made. I have been using the Eldar and I can't seem to kill anything, even with my walkers, who seem to get taken out almost immediately. What are some good group combos and units?

yep, getting my ass handed to me as well

I ran through the single player game with ease thinking I would start with an upper hand in MP:lol

some of these bastards are so fast I can't even get a chance to tech up :(

mr stroke

can anyone tell me why I can't get Ultra settings on some of the graphic options? I can max everything except for a couple of things, my rig should be fine, is it Vista32 maybe?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
mr stroke said:
can anyone tell me why I can't get Ultra settings on some of the graphic options? I can max everything except for a couple of things, my rig should be fine, is it Vista32 maybe?
That or the amount of on board video memory. I think 1GB of video memory is required for Ultra.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
godhandiscen said:
That or the amount of on board video memory. I think 1GB of video memory is required for Ultra.
No need for 1gb of VRAM, just a 64bit OS for RAM itself (4gb-8gb). I have 4gb of ram, but only 512 of vram myself and the game runs smoothly. I also believe theres a bypass by messing with the LUA config files to get ultra working.

CorwinB

PedroLumpy said:

You can backup your campaign games by going to My Documents\My Games\Dawn of War 2 (at leat that's the default directory under Windows 7). There's a Saved Games folder, with one .sav file for each of your campaigns. You can backup those files in a separate folder and restore them in case something goes wrong.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
CorwinB said:
You can backup your campaign games by going to My Documents\My Games\Dawn of War 2 (at leat that's the default directory under Windows 7). There's a Saved Games folder, with one .sav file for each of your campaigns. You can backup those files in a separate folder and restore them in case something goes wrong.

Or do what I do, CRTL ALT DEL ingame and restart :lol

mr stroke

Speculator said:
No need for 1gb of VRAM, just a 64bit OS for RAM itself (4gb-8gb). I have 4gb of ram, but only 512 of vram myself and the game runs smoothly. I also believe theres a bypass by messing with the LUA config files to get ultra working.

so its the OS then?
I can't imagine Relic capping some of the settings for only 1 gig of VRAM, a newer 512 card should run this game maxed. A bug maybe? there is a patch coming soon so hopefully this should be fixed..
do you know the bypass?

TheExodu5

Banned
BTW, if you want a great boost in performance (maybe 30%) without too much degradation in visual quality, set Terrain to Low. It basically removes the bump mapping of the terrain. The performance increase is most definitely worth it though, if you're running something along the lines of an 8800GT.

mr stroke said:
so its the OS then?
I can't imagine Relic capping some of the settings for only 1 gig of VRAM, a newer 512 card should run this game maxed. A bug maybe? there is a patch coming soon so hopefully this should be fixed..
do you know the bypass?

VRAM does not effect performance in games...but it does effect how much visual information can be stored in the card's memory. Higher texture resolution requires more memory.

Not saying that's why Ultra can't be selected in DoW2 though.

flsh

Banned
Why is this game still not out world wide? It's as if relic asks me to pirate this game. I won't, but I'm so annoyed right now. Take my money already!

Nocebo

mr stroke said:
yep, getting my ass handed to me as well

I ran through the single player game with ease thinking I would start with an upper hand in MP:lol

some of these bastards are so fast I can't even get a chance to tech up :(

Alright, well my record is 1-11 right now and I am clearly not "getting" it. I did surprisingly well in the beta and I had an above .500 record, but clearly changes were made. I have been using the Eldar and I can't seem to kill anything, even with my walkers, who seem to get taken out almost immediately. What are some good group combos and units?
Are you guys playing 1v1 or 3v3?

I don't have a lot of experience with 1v1 but I usually try go where the other player isn't. Capture as many resources as early possible. I also try not to engage squads directly unless I think I have the upperhand and even then. I try to entice squads to come to me where I have set up ambushes and what not, or at least to get them out of formation and out of cover.

In 3v3 I'm not affraid to give up resources or vps anymore when facing an army that will result in a stalemate or me loosing all my units. I used to charge in and hope for the best. I retreat to base and regroup and or attack from a different angle or a different area all together where I know the enemy's attention isn't.

Yeah, this game is totally awesome up until now - wish I had more time to play it and I wish it had an Ork campaign. Other than that I'm a happy camper :D .

ThatGuy

CTLance said:
Wait, we get <RPG>cursed items</RPG>? Awesome. I really hope for a space exploration/dungeon crawler now. It seems like everything is in place, all we'd need would be a random map generator and a bunch of mods to the fleet/orbital interface.

From my perspective it seems THQ build up their Warhammer 40k games more and more towards the Warhammer 40k MMO they develop. Especially in the campaign of DoW2 they create some new story archs and some dialogs where they mention some events with no additional details where they can pick up at the MMO. When you look at some models etc. it seems to me also that they maybe will share some of the assets and code(Drop System,..) with the MMO team at Vigil Games.

Roadmap:
Dawn of War 2 --> 1# Expansion --> Warhammer 40 k Shooter (in production at THQ Australia) --> 2# Expansion --> Warhmmaer 40k MMO (Vigil games)

Well, after starting 1-11 in ranked, I have since went on a 10-0 streak after I partied up with a few decent guys. Achievement did not unlock though :cry

CorwinB said:

Thanks man!

Philthy

PistolPete said:
What?!? When did they release info on that?

There was a leaked video of a 3rd person shooter/melee game. Looked like Gears of War on steroids from what little was shown. It looked damn promising.

As for the fluff, a lot of it seems to draw from previous fluff already out there. I've seen a few references to the Black Crusades here and there.

mr stroke

Kestastrophe said:
Well, after starting 1-11 in ranked, I have since went on a 10-0 streak after I partied up with a few decent guys. Achievement did not unlock though :cry

Can you offer some help?
I am used to C&C, SC, etc..I am so used to just building and rushing but its not working for me :(

what should I be doing from the start of a game, should I be capturing rec and power first? or just capture the points first? and do you spend your first amount of rec on building soldiers or just teching up the soldiers you have?

mr stroke said:
Can you offer some help?
I am used to C&C, SC, etc..I am so used to just building and rushing but its not working for me :(

what should I be doing from the start of a game, should I be capturing rec and power first? or just capture the points first? and do you spend your first amount of rec on building soldiers or just teching up the soldiers you have?
With the eldar, I typically build a few of the suppression cannon squads (about 5) since they are pretty good at defending and I move them behind cover near the victory points (top priority) and any resource points I have. Then I usually upgrade my base to level II and then buy the best weapon for my commander, which allows this great area of effect spell. After that, then I spend my resources almost exclusively on walkers and upgrades for my commander. This strategy does leave me pretty vulnerable to rocket attackers, but I can usually take them out before they do too much damage to my walkers. Also, I like to actively move my commander and walkers around the map and helping teammates, with my suppression squads being pretty stationary defenders. Just have patience and don't be afraid to experiment.

Anyone who's been thinking of picking this up, its currently $36 dollars at GoGamer.
Did my first 1v1 in this game today and eked out an atrociously bad yet satisfying victory. :D

Reikon

TheExodu5 said:
VRAM does not effect performance in games...but it does effect how much visual information can be stored in the card's memory. Higher texture resolution requires more memory.

It absolutely does affect performance in games. It may not be the biggest factor, but it is significant (depending on the game). Just look at 4870 512 MB and 1 GB comparisons. If you're lazy, here.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
after watiting for what seemed like ages I managed to get into a 3v3 match. It ended quickly and I failed to find another match.

The match making in this game is terrible.

Minsc

Gold Member
otake said:
after watiting for what seemed like ages I managed to get into a 3v3 match. It ended quickly and I failed to find another match.

The match making in this game is terrible.

Building off terrible match making, does it always take like 20 seconds to log into games for windows when you first start the game? My connection is fast as hell, don't understand what takes so long.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Minsc said:
Building off terrible match making, does it always take like 20 seconds to log into games for windows when you first start the game? My connection is fast as hell, don't understand what takes so long.

Mine is always signed in before I've managed to esc mash my way through the 6 intro vids. Probably about a 2 second log in time tops.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sinatar said:
Mine is always signed in before I've managed to esc mash my way through the 6 intro vids. Probably about a 2 second log in time tops.

Right click Dawn of War 2 in Steam. Properties. Set Launch Options. Add "-nomovies", without the quotes.

Reikon said:
It absolutely does affect performance in games. It may not be the biggest factor, but it is significant (depending on the game). Just look at 4870 512 MB and 1 GB comparisons. If you're lazy, here.

Wrong.

Look up the specs of the Sapphire 1GB 4870 and the 512MB version.

1GB version: 800 core / 1000 memory
512MB version: 750 core / 900 memory

The higher clock speeds of the 1GB version are what give it the edge in benchmarks. Like I said, more memory only has an effect if you don't have enough of it. That is true for both VRAM and system RAM.

Big-E

Are the achievements in this game messed or something? I just beat the game on Sergeant and didn't get the game completion achievement.

Reikon

TheExodu5 said:
Wrong.

Look up the specs of the Sapphire 1GB 4870 and the 512MB version.

1GB version: 800 core / 1000 memory
512MB version: 750 core / 900 memory

The higher clock speeds of the 1GB version are what give it the edge in benchmarks. Like I said, more memory only has an effect if you don't have enough of it. That is true for both VRAM and system RAM.

Wrong. You're comparing overclocked cards. The default specs on both cards are: 750 core, 900 memory. Look, I even looked up Sapphire's cards. :lol

Sapphire 512 MB
Sapphire 1 GB

In case you STILL don't believe me, here's another review that states the speeds of the cards they test. The 1 GB card still comes out on top. Obviously the performance difference only comes when it's memory starved (higher resolutions). That's like saying CPU speed only matters if your computer doesn't have enough of it. I'm not saying it's a magic bullet and having an 8 GB card will help you at 640x480 over a 512 MB card or something.

Xapati

Kestastrophe said:

Here is you're problem. Eldar have quite a few units that are underpowered. Don't build banshees, currently they have about 10 lives more then a hormogaunt and they're lucky if they can take out a tactical marine squad. Don't build warpsiders either, they're little more then warping guardians with less lives. Wraithlords are decent, but don't rely on them and don't build them if you're up against tyrannids as adrennal gland warriors will eat them for breakfast. If you play eldar I recommend at least two squads of guardians if not 3, give them the grenade upgrades and learn to micro them. Shurikan platforms are really nice as well, while they can't go into buildings they're only 270 req. I generally have to of them so I can stagger them when the assault marines / tunneling ravaner come. Try to get out of tier 2 as fast as possible (although don't rush it as you need to protect your power generators) Tier 3 is nice, get a d-cannon for sure although if you really want it to be effective you need to pay for the excessivly expensive rangers, so you have spotters. Fire prism is a great tank, but don't send it out without support as it's line of site is pitiful.

Even with all that it's still difficult to play eldar, if you want something more powerful try tyranids and pick a ravaner alpha (although hive tyrants are lots of fun as well) here are the best tricks:

For the ravaner
- every time your hero is about to die, simply use burrow and bring him back to base to heal.

- Use the ravaner to build a tunnel right in the midst of his, and unload you're entire army.

Tyranids in general:
- Once you get tier 3 build spam carnifexes.

Zzoram

This is the only non-Valve game besides Football Manage to really break into the top 5 on STEAM stats. I assume it has to do with requiring STEAM activation from retail copies like a Valve game does.

eznark

Banned
This game is absolutely excellent. I love the campaign and despite being pretty terrible so far in multiplayer I am having a lot of fun (if you're on my team, I'm trying I swear!)

I just finished day 12
I'm one mission past saving the Angel Gate
anyone know about how far through the game I am? Just curious, I'd like to have the single player done by next week when Empire comes out.

Darklord

Banned
Holy crap...is Tyranids really over powered or do I just suck against them? I was orkz and going ok, I had about 5-6 squads and the attack hero then all of a sudden WHAM and there are over 9000 Tyranids over me and I'm dead.
I quickly try and rebuild. I upgrade my hero, get some more squads and a walker thing(forget its name) and...yep pretty much died in about 10 seconds, no joke.

Why were my orkz so shit against them? :(

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Darklord said:
Holy crap...is Tyranids really over powered or do I just suck against them? I was orkz and going ok, I had about 5-6 squads and the attack hero then all of a sudden WHAM and there are over 9000 Tyranids over me and I'm dead.
I quickly try and rebuild. I upgrade my hero, get some more squads and a walker thing(forget its name) and...yep pretty much died in about 10 seconds, no joke.

Why were my orkz so shit against them? :(

Are you using the Whaaag ability with every single Ork unit?

Mrbob

I haven't even touched multiplayer yet, just logged in over 22 hours into online co op in this game. Of course, me and my co op partner are annihlating everything on the map and doing all the optional missions. Like Halo, I don't think I can play the campaign in single player after putting in over 20 hours into co op. We are playing on captain right now, will be replaying in Primarch difficulty after.

I love buffing Avitus with terminator amor. Coupled with a cannon I found with him that deals around 1600 damage, and attaching a missle launching to him the dude is walking tour de force of death. Just found Thaddeus some terminator armor as well, seems to be dropping everywhere now.

I do have a question in relation to armor versus hitpoints. I'm looking at two different terminator armors for Avitus. One has an armor rating of 54 with a health boost of +163, the other doesn't have a health boost but has an armor rating of 66. How can I figure out if it is better to outfit him with higher armor or more health? I guess I can test it out later tonight. Of course the one with 66 armor also has a will +2 boost which I want to get so I can get my last trait with him, allowing Avitus to regain energy as he takes down enemies.

dLMN8R

wayward archer said:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Peak was 21k players simultaneously.
I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that a 21k simultaneous peak could actually mean huge sales numbers.

Think about it - how many people actually play for more than an hour a day? How many customers actually play the game every day to begin with?

Looking at the numbers we have, it's safe to say that, on average throughout the day, there are maybe 15k simultaneous players.
Let's say that play sessions are, on average, on hour long. That's probably actually longer than average.
Now let's say that around 50% of the customer base gets a chance to play the game on any given day. Again, that's probably an over-estimation.

Put it all together: 15k * 24 sessions (each an hour long) / .5 (customer base playing) = 720,000 Dawn of War II sales so far

Am I totally missing something here? Or do you think that my math is pretty reasonable and that DoW II has been pretty damned successful so far?

mr stroke

dLMN8R said:
I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that a 21k simultaneous peak could actually mean huge sales numbers.

Think about it - how many people actually play for more than an hour a day? How many customers actually play the game every day to begin with?

Looking at the numbers we have, it's safe to say that, on average throughout the day, there are maybe 15k simultaneous players.
Let's say that play sessions are, on average, on hour long. That's probably actually longer than average.
Now let's say that around 50% of the customer base gets a chance to play the game on any given day. Again, that's probably an over-estimation.

Put it all together: 15k * 24 sessions (each an hour long) / .5 (customer base playing) = 720,000 Dawn of War II sales so far

Am I totally missing something here? Or do you think that my math is pretty reasonable and that DoW II has been pretty damned successful so far?

I don't know about 720k as thats a massive number for US alone. Or is that number on Steam world wide?
DOW II did chart on all of those UK charts so maybe it hit 720k WW(which is fucking solid if they did)

Mrbob

Well I've played the game 22 hours in the last week in co op alone. So has the co op partner I've played the game with.

This will skew the numbers. Having said this, I'm sure the game is selling decently. It has been the top seller on steam since its release and peak and active numbers have been consistent with Left 4 Dead.

SupahBlah

Banned
Big-E said:
Are the achievements in this game messed or something? I just beat the game on Sergeant and didn't get the game completion achievement.

I actually came to post this. :lol I just finished on Sergeant with no achievement.

Also, I want to find more warhammers. I've only picked up one. :(

dLMN8R

mr stroke said:
I don't know about 720k as thats a massive number for US alone. Or is that number on Steam world wide?
DOW II did chart on all of those UK charts so maybe it hit 720k WW(which is fucking solid if they did)
Those numbers would be worldwide, I don't think Steam game stats divide by region.

Top Bottom