• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Vashu said:
Same here.

And yeah, the avatar had great quotes. Perhaps they are in the full retail version. They have to add these two lines, if they are not in the game:

- Behold, the fiery destroyer of worlds.
- I walk again, a god among mere mortals.
Damn I might re-download Soulstorm just to hear that one again. :lol

A couple more favorites from him:

"By my bloody hand the enemy shall not live past this day."
"Crush, crush the enemy!"
"I walk into battle to unleash the wailing doom."

Mohonky

Game now activates on Steam for those in Australia. However it refuses to launch saying the game is currently unavailable.

Median

I think I'm gonna pick this one up at retail, stupid Rogers download cap. I should have my new PC built this week and this'll be a great game to break it in :D

Mrbob

Darklord said:
Does it need steam running every time you start the game? Or just to activate it?

Steam will load up.

You can run steam in offline mode though if you don't want to be bothered.

Mohonky

Darklord said:
Does it need steam running every time you start the game? Or just to activate it?

I think it might. I can't actually play it yet even though it's activated. It installs under Steam and when I try to play it from Windows Start Menu / Games it loads Steam up so unfortunately I think the answer maybe yes, it needs to everytime.

thaOwner

I wasn't too excited for this game that first pic in the OP did it for me. I will be checking
this out. Looks so ace.

Mohonky

Question for the tech heads;

My PC's Gaming index is 4.8. This is the lowest value of my PC, the second lowest is the processor at 5.1 and the rest of the values are 5.9. I'm wondering whether the value for my RAM is low because of the amount of ram I have, or the actual speed of it. I have Vista 32bit so I know my max ram is roughly 3.5gb, I have 3gb in the machine. I'm wondering whether putting another 1gb stick in would be worth the performance increase, or changing my 3gb of DDR 667mhz for 800mhz would be a better increase?

Mardil

I don't think you will see an improvement from 3GB to 4Gb of RAM. Most of the time this games don't require more than 2GB, so it's probably the speed of it.

Mohonky said:

My PC's Gaming index is 4.8. This is the lowest value of my PC, the second lowest is the processor at 5.1 and the rest of the values are 5.9. I'm wondering whether the value for my RAM is low because of the amount of ram I have, or the actual speed of it. I have Vista 32bit so I know my max ram is roughly 3.5gb, I have 3gb in the machine. I'm wondering whether putting another 1gb stick in would be worth the performance increase, or changing my 3gb of DDR 667mhz for 800mhz would be a better increase?

I doubt that real world gaming performance is going to be noticeably impacted by doing either, honestly (speaking from experience in moving from 533 to 800 a while ago).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mohonky said:

If you stick to 32 bit vista, adding more RAM won't do anything. Also unless DOW2 uses more then 3 GB of RAM when running (which it doesn't) then adding more RAM won't help. As for the speed of the RAM, that'll increase your windows index a bit but won't have any discernible improvement to your game performance.

Curse being stuck on this god forsaken tablet PC. Curse it and Intel graphics to hell.

Company of Heroes works, though, so...meh, I have something.

dork said:
Damn it, I thought today was the retail release date.

Fooled myself with the ship date..UGH

I think product keys go live tonight at 00:01 AM (not sure which time zone, haha) - but don't quote me on that, since I'm not 100% sure.

dork

Banned
shrapnelmagnet said:
I think product keys go live tonight at 00:01 AM (not sure which time zone, haha) - but don't quote me on that, since I'm not 100% sure.

employee discount from work, gotta wait for it to arrive :( i swore it was today

Mohonky

Ok so the game worked, played the first mission in Single Player, set the game setting sto Ultra and it ran smooth as butter, however being that there wasn't a huge amount going on explosion wise I dunno that it was a good measuring stick. Problem is it crashed 'unable to create dump file' when loading up the movie or cutscene after the first mission.

I'll have to wait for the shipment from the isles, paying half the price is well worth it though :D . I fear for my sparse free time, this will be great.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
shrapnelmagnet said:
They don't go live until tomorrow? :(

This is a sign that I should do my assignments first.

zenbot

Steam is acting all screwy for me. The game's installed but Steam is bugging out trying to patch it. It hangs on Download starting..., then downloads part of the patch, then goes back to Download starting... and starts again. I very tantalisingly got to 95% complete before it reset last time. Stop teasing me you son of a bitch download service! Let me play me game!

Mohonky

zenbot said:
Steam is acting all screwy for me. The game's installed but Steam is bugging out trying to patch it. It hangs on Download starting..., then downloads part of the patch, then goes back to Download starting... and starts again. I very tantalisingly got to 95% complete before it reset last time. Stop teasing me you son of a bitch download service! Let me play me game!

It was doing that to me, then it would just say Unavailable at this time. Then the game installed the patch, then for whatever reason said the game was unavailable at this time then later it said the game 100% ready to go.

It's been quite weird :S

Zachack

So can I buy a retail copy and then just download the entire game over steam (after inputting the code) without having to ever put a disc in my PC? That sounds ideal to me.

Although I guess it would be nice if a Relic person could tell us which method maximizes the revenue to Relic (if at all).

Mrbob

If you buy the retail box, you can unlock the game on steam, then install it off the dvd drive so you don't have to wait for the download.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I hope my copy arrives tomorrow, I love the 40k Universe.
WAAAGH!

Anyone got anymore Ork pictures :D

Zachack

Mrbob said:
If you buy the retail box, you can unlock the game on steam, then install it off the dvd drive so you don't have to wait for the download.
But I don't want to install it off the dvd drive.

Google

Zachack said:
Although I guess it would be nice if a Relic person could tell us which method maximizes the revenue to Relic (if at all).

Why does this matter?

I'm sure they're making healthy profits either way.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zachack said:
So can I buy a retail copy and then just download the entire game over steam (after inputting the code) without having to ever put a disc in my PC? That sounds ideal to me.

while i probably wont find out anything soon, i'd love to know the business workings behind these 3rd party title being hosted on steam and integrating codes from retail boxes. do valve go out of their way to encourage this- or do they set a premium on top of the usual steam service fee?

i'd also like to hear the rationale behind the decisions of those publishers who use steam in this way, and those who decide it's not right for their product.

TimeKillr

Pre-ordered through Steam a while back.

I just find it ridiculous that even retail copies are still unplayable since it hasn't launched on Steam yet.

And I understand that it hasn't launched on Steam yet because retailers hate the fact that people can buy it on Steam earlier than with them, but this is just ridiculous. I hate release dates. :)

Mrbob

Google from some intereviews, Relic stated why they went with steam for activation.

Steam is DRM people will accept. It also makes it easy for them to upload updates for the game as they can just input it into steam and steam will spit them out to the end user.

Zachack

Mrbob said:
Then download it after you put your activation code in. :p
Just wanted to know if I could do it that way. Good to know.
Why does this matter?

I'm sure they're making healthy profits either way.
Because I enjoy Relic products (except for Impossible Creatures, that game was not so good) and want them to enjoy as much financial stability as possible while at the same time not actually having to do anything more strenuous than deciding how to purchase the game?

Mrbob

Yeah as long as retail boxes act like the way Valve games do everything should be A OK.

I'll let you know for certain after I pick up my copy tommorrow.

Google

Zachack said:
Because I enjoy Relic products (except for Impossible Creatures, that game was not so good) and want them to enjoy as much financial stability as possible while at the same time not actually having to do anything more strenuous than deciding how to purchase the game?

Do you honestly think the discrepancy in profit between retail and digital distribution actually registers within Relic's coffers?

I'd suggest that by virtue of you actually paying real money for a PC game, you're helping them two fold.

Zachack

Google said:
Do you honestly think the discrepancy in profit between retail and digital distribution actually registers within Relic's coffers?

I'd suggest that by virtue of you actually paying real money for a PC game, you're helping them two fold.
I purchase games using ground rhinoceros horn and elephant tusks as barter currancy and the measurements are in fixed amounts, so a slight difference in the dollar amount that Relic would recieve normally can actually amount to a significant gain to Relic depending on the market values.

Google

Zachack said:
I purchase games using ground rhinoceros horn and elephant tusks as barter currancy and the measurements are in fixed amounts, so a slight difference in the dollar amount that Relic would recieve normally can actually amount to a significant gain to Relic depending on the market values.

You didn't mention you were from Illinois!

Apologies.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this. Thank you Relic TANK YOU!! I hope the XBox360 version turns out to be pretty decent. Console players need some Warhammer40K love!

Question: now that the beta has been disabled (note: it's saying pre-load complete in the My Games tab), can I simply delete the beta file and install the full game off the disc once I have it? I intend to buy the retail version later this week, so I'd like to know for sure whether or not that'll cause any trouble two days from now.

FoxSpirit

In Steam, right click->Properties->Local Files->Delete Local Game Content
That's the correct way to do it.

Also, shipped from amazon.uk, hope this will arrive on Friday.

Top Bottom