• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Mrbob

Seeing a couple people on my friends list play this game right now is making me reallllly jealous! :D

shuri said:
People who got in the public beta pretty much got to play 80% of the game for free.

gg guys, gg :|

Adios.

Grr...some kind of hinky Vista problem with downloading the game. DLing is at a crawl and the only way I can advance the DL is to constantly click OK on the error warning.

...got to 6% and now I'm getting the message that the game is unavailable. o_O

Fuckin Steam. When it works...it does a fine job and when it doesn't, it's entirely fucked, only made worse by the catastrophic customer support these guys have.

Like...Hellgate London kindof customer support.

Dreavus

This is probably pretty obvious, but how many players can play co-op mode? I'm guessing it's just two, but I'd love to be able to play with 2 friends.

Onemic

It seems that whenever I lower the games resolution lower than my native resolution(1440x900) the game seems to make the resolution lower, thus making the game image smaller, but it doesn't stretch the image to fit the screen. So is there any way to fix this problem? I don't want to have to play the game with black bars all around my screen.

onemic said:
It seems that whenever I lower the games resolution lower than my native resolution(1440x900) the game seems to make the resolution lower, thus making the game image smaller, but it doesn't stretch the image to fit the screen. So is there any way to fix this problem? I don't want to have to play the game with black bars all around my screen.
strange...You using one of the widescreen options? see if that helps. It'll say "(widescreen)" next to the resolution

bigdaddygamebot said:
Grr...some kind of hinky Vista problem with downloading the game. DLing is at a crawl and the only way I can advance the DL is to constantly click OK on the error warning.

...got to 6% and now I'm getting the message that the game is unavailable. o_O

Fuckin Steam. When it works...it does a fine job and when it doesn't, it's entirely fucked, only made worse by the catastrophic customer support these guys have.

Like...Hellgate London kindof customer support.
Sucks. I already got to 100% and it said there was a problem with local files and it would reaquire them but nothing happened. So I deleted all the local files and now it's stuck ar Download starting...

TheExodu5 said:
Friggin' piece of shit. Local game files issue on Windows 7.

I love you Steam, but I really fucking hate you right now.
I'm on XP and get the local files problem before I tried redownloading so I don't know what the problem is. Now I'm just stuck and I need to go to bed so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Proc

Cannot wait to wake up tomorrow, drive to the best buy, finally cash in my gift card, and play the hell out of this. I love me some rts campaigns and this one looks like it will be one of the best in years.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ok guys get ready to suck my toes.

I figured out how to get around the local game files issue. Change your downloading region. So far, I've tried Canada - Toronto, US East, and US South. Both Toronto and US East gave issues, but US South is working just fine.

How to change your download region:

Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download Region (set it to US South, or another server that may work)

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Please, explain to me in a loud and slow manner, like you would give directions to a dumb tourist:

Is it available now on Steam, for Yuro-people?

I preordered it on Steam, and when I looked at the DOW2 Steam page this morning, it still said '18 hours untill release'.

Could I fool this Steam by changing my location in settings?

Haeleos

Dreavus said:
This is probably pretty obvious, but how many players can play co-op mode? I'm guessing it's just two, but I'd love to be able to play with 2 friends.

btw, does anyone know why I can't set some of the graphics options to higher settings? Some a greyed out for some reason... and I have a 9800 GT.

Onemic

Cat in the Hat said:
strange...You using one of the widescreen options? see if that helps. It'll say "(widescreen)" next to the resolution

Same result.

Also does anyone know how to equip your squad members? I've unlocked the trait for my tactical marine squad to be able to use power swords, but in a mission and on the loadout screen they are never wielding power swords.

desverger

I'll be getting this...In a month or so, when I buy a new PC. Goddamn taxes :(

Any word on a demo, or was that mentioned somewhere?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
desverger said:
I'll be getting this...In a month or so, when I buy a new PC. Goddamn taxes :(

Any word on a demo, or was that mentioned somewhere?

word is there's a single player demo coming shortly after release, i guess shrapnell is the guy to ask though.

Hellcrow

Why is the game almost half the price from play.com compared to steam? I though steam was supposed to be the cheaper alternativ....

dejan

Just received a notification that my order has been dispatched. Unfortunately it will most probably not arrive until next week. Well gives me enough time to finish The Witcher this weekend.

Hellcrow said:
Why is the game almost half the price from play.com compared to steam? I though steam was supposed to be the cheaper alternativ....
Steam EU price: 50€
TheHut.com price (including shipping) : <28€

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn...campaign is pretty sweet so far. Much more involving than other RTS I've played thanks to the loot/leveling factor. I also love the mission loadout screen, and the choices given when capturing strategic locations.

SupahBlah

Banned
Hellcrow said:

PC games are actually reasonably priced in the UK, I've yet to find anything cheaper on steam.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
My copy has arrived, I got the steel book as it was the same price as a normal copy £25, also came with a free keyring.

Hellcrow said:

Yeah, total bullshit. I like digital distribution cause it's easy, but the prices need to come way, waaaay down.

Deacan

Can't register it as Europe yet, going to try the region change trick.

*edit* No luck, gah this region lock-out stuff is a load of crock

desverger

Hellcrow said:

Oh, nice find. 29,99€ is not a bad price to pay from a new game.

SupahBlah

Banned
Deacan said:
My copy has arrived, I got the steel book as it was the same price as a normal copy £25, also came with a free keyring.

Same, my copy just arrived. Is activation up for Europe? I'm just about to throw my disc in.

Deacan said:
Can't register it as Europe yet, going to try the region change trick.

*edit* No luck, gah this region lock-out stuff is a load of crock

Nevermind. :(

Deacan

I got this from Relic news forums, fits what am feeling perfectly
ragegv1.jpg

Anyways time to go back to work.

Xapati

dejan said:
Just received a notification that my order has been dispatched. Unfortunately it will most probably not arrive until next week. Well gives me enough time to finish The Witcher this weekend.

Steam EU price: 50€
TheHut.com price (including shipping) : <28€

This is why I ordered it from retail. Steam is just rediculously overpriced. But it does mean I gotta wait a week :(.

One question though about the retail: Since I have to register it on steam, will I subsequently be able to download it via steam as if I had bought it on steam?

thaOwner

xbhaskarx said:
I'm just getting back into PC gaming because I got a new HP laptop, what will my performance be like?

Windows 7
Core2 Duo Processor T9400 (2.24 GHz)
4GB DDR2
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT

Fixed for me. Can any tell me what settings I should be using ?

Philthy

onemic said:

This is usually a video driver option to keep the aspect and not blur the game image. I'm not sure what option it is specifically, but look for a check box somewhere in the advanced settings of your video drivers. Most people end up using the black bars because otherwise it will stretch the smaller resolution and look like someone smeared grease all over your screen instead.

Mohonky

Is there any way to go back to missions to claim beacons or to atleast tackle a mission you failed? I failed a mission and it basically just becomes unavailable.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have a P4 3.4 GHZ, 2 GB of Ram, and an 8600GT and I can't run this game on low settings in the beta without it chugging when tons of stuff hit the screen. So sad because I really wanted this game. :(

Darklord

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I have a P4 3.4 GHZ, 2 GB of Ram, and an 8600GT and I can't run this game on low settings in the beta without it chugging when tons of stuff hit the screen. So sad because I really wanted this game. :(

What would be the equivalent to a 3.4ghz for an AMD cpu? 3400 or is it different?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
DenogginizerOS said:

Get a new videocard. They're very cheap now. Get a radeonhd 4850 or a geforce 8800gt. It's like $100-$150.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
otake said:
Get a new videocard. They're very cheap now. Get a radeonhd 4850 or a geforce 8800gt. It's like $100-$150.

I have the exact same setup as you but with a 8800GT, and it runs the game fine. It actually runs every game fine, and this computer is past three years old.

CorwinB

onemic said:

For ATI cards, the option in Catalyst Control Center (Advanced Mode) is under Digital Panel / Attributes, under the name "Enable GPU scaling". You have various choices that you can enable. If you want to play fullscreen, I suppose using GPU scaling instead of the scaling engine of your LCD would probably yield slightly better results image quality-wise.

Nvidia cards have the same option, but I don't know how ForceWare drivers are organised.

Truant

Wait, I bought it, but Steam justs says it's not released yet. Well fuck no, just let me pre-load it. I can't even play now, but I want to download over night.

JPBrowncoat said:
Sucks. I already got to 100% and it said there was a problem with local files and it would reaquire them but nothing happened. So I deleted all the local files and now it's stuck ar Download starting...

Have you had any luck yet?

I have a work around if'n ya want it.

My experience with Steam last night really drove home why I primarily stick to consoles though.

TheExodu5 said:
Ok guys get ready to suck my toes.

I figured out how to get around the local game files issue. Change your downloading region. So far, I've tried Canada - Toronto, US East, and US South. Both Toronto and US East gave issues, but US South is working just fine.

How to change your download region:

Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download Region (set it to US South, or another server that may work)

This works right here.

Are you the same guy that posted on the forums on Steam? xD

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
I have DoW Platinum Edition, and while I enjoyed how different the game was from a lot of RTS games, it felt a bit too hectic at times. It's like I didn't have time to think, I just had to spam out units and then decide what to do with them. Maybe I just suck.

I got the gold edition and i felt exactly like you said sometimes, there's so much going with the units and buildings that sometimes my brain would freeze and i didn't know what to do so i'll loose fast. after playing a while it became less of a problem tough i still suck a lot :p

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Neo-Sheperd said:
Fixed for me. Can any tell me what settings I should be using ?
Same as other guy's, but a few more high settings, but probably not textures. T9400 = 2.53GHz, yes?

Is your notebook an Asus?

I'm just waiting for the mail to come in with my game, dammit.

Darklord

Banned
Who the hell said the patch wasn't big? It's like 80mb.
I know 80mb isn't huge but it takes like 30 minutes in my connection. :\

Also this is my first time using GFWL, can my friends on xbox live see me online and playing DoW2? Or are they 2 separate friend lists?

FFS, I can't activate it yet, so the time got moved up in the US, but the UK has to wait, do they not know GAME always send me stuff on Thursdays :(

Top Bottom