• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Dreavus

So far I'm really enjoying the "Last stand" addition. It's pretty addictive leveling up and acquiring new wargear to play with. I've leveled my Farseer to level 7, but I haven't even made it past wave 9 yet.

The difficulty jump is pretty noticeable; waves 1-7 are a cakewalk, wave 8's zoanthropes can kill you if you aren't prepared but overall it's not too bad, and then wave 9 throws hordes of banshees at your team. Even throwing down an Eldritch storm doesn't do much and I just get killed on my way down. :lol

They've set a pretty solid foundation for a fun game mode. I really hope they continue to flesh this out further, with more heroes and maybe a few more maps. Stomping stuff with a Warboss or Warlock would make things even more awesome. :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sick. I picked the wrong day to do a backup/reformat, and just got down to getting the TLS update.

I'm mostly looking forward to the balance update, but I'll give TLS a spin too.

Mrbob

TLS is brilliant. Love it!

Played it for almost 3 hours straight tonight! Getting past wave 9 is a bitch though! Difficulty just hikes up big time!

remz

Any gaffers want to group up and do some Last stand later? Shit is fun as hell, but I wanna have a decent group for it though, as random people so far have been less then spectacular.

Wave 10 is pretty funny in a self referential kinda way

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
TLS is brilliant. Love it!

Played it for almost 3 hours straight tonight! Getting past wave 9 is a bitch though! Difficulty just hikes up big time!
Did you ever end up beating it? Let me know when you need a third again, that was a blast

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I haven't played since the beta and I jumped into a multiplayer game as the 'nids last night...

what the fuck happened?

Its like the completely changed them. What happened to those little dudes that ran around and absorbed damage that I could hide spores in?

What's even the point of spores now? To blow up your own troops? Jesus. (edit: Oh, they don't blow up when shot by others anymore... cool... I guess. I'll miss hiding them in my mass little dudes. That was the best part of the game.)

And also: are the space marines overpowered now? Everyone except me and another dude were space marines.

Really dissapointed with the 'nid nerf. Really dissapointed. I don't even know where to begin with them anymore. Any tips?

eznark

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
We beat it one time after you left. We should play again tonight.
It definitely felt like we were getting close. Except the one where I accidentally unequipped the charge ability.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Played a brief game last night - wanted to touch it solo, but matchmaking is required (or friends) - so I bit the bullet and played with some randoms. Naturally the first person, as soon as he was near death disconnected. Sigh, people.

Good mode, can't wait to be my Warboss in a future update...I hope. Mekboy just doesn't do it for me, and I'll be damned but I'll not be touching those stinkin' Eldar.

Killing Imperial Guard feels good.

Daigoro

its 20 i think i need to buy this now.

i suck at RTS, but i love 40k. im somewhat tortured here.

*edit: i bought it. hope i can hang. do any of you guys still play regularly?

Enosh

And also: are the space marines overpowered now? Everyone except me and another dude were space marines.

SM are beyond abbysmal in any competetive MP
people just play them beacose it is a 40k game. In any 40k game you can expect 50% of the people to play SMs (that number is reduced with the presence of chaos)

Won

Just tried Last Stand for bit. It is fun, but man, fuck wave 16. We tried all kind of things and nothing worked. Nothing died on both sides. :/

I'm lvl 11 SM right now and wave 9 is fuck all the time. We managed to get past it 4 times I think, but man, I hate those eldar.

I wanted an Orc Boss to play with though :(

remz

Won said:
Just tried Last Stand for bit. It is fun, but man, fuck wave 16. We tried all kind of things and nothing worked. Nothing died on both sides. :/
Get a Farseer to confuse their Farseer and then all focus fire some other guy on the other team.

You think 16 is hard, wave 18 is fucked up!!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Won said:

That's because you didn't have a Farseer in your team.

I laugh at the thought of Wave 16 with three Space Marines :lol :lol

Caesar III said:
I'm lvl 11 SM right now and wave 9 is fuck all the time. We managed to get past it 4 times I think, but man, I hate those eldar.

I wanted an Orc Boss to play with though :(

Again. Farseer and Eldritch Storm are your friends. With a meleeing Mekboy with Doc's Tools and Support Kit, the Marine and Larraman's Blessing and a Farseer with Eldritch Storm, Confuse, Ward and Teleport, Wave 1 to 16 is a cakewalk.

dejan

Me and my buddies had a great time yesterday with the new mode. Made it to wave 10 once. After we barely made it through wave 9, we were really surprised by the relatively small opposition in wave 10 ... and then we got obliterated by stealthed snipers in like 20 seconds.

Daigoro

i just played up to CH3 in the campaign. so far its a lot of fun.

i love the upgrades you can get for your squads. i wish there was a campaign for every race. that would be awesome.

Hawk SE

I did some Matchmaking with Last Stand last night, made it to Wave 9 before we were obliterated - great fun though!

I like the simplicities of the Campaign and Last Stand to the actual Multiplayer.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Although I usually prefer a hard copy, I'm tempted to buy the game on Steam this weekend. $20 seems like a great deal.

I've been craving a new RTS in the spirit of WarCraft 3 (Heroes, lack of emphasis on base building, aggressive online play, smaller + more micro intensive battles) and Dawn of War II seems like a mix between COH and WC3.

Should I get it?

Mrbob

DoW2 is a steamworks game, so any retail copy plugs right into steam.

I have a retail copy, the manual is OK....nothing special and not worth spending twice the price for. All the story you need is told through the campaign anyway. I'll never go back to my retail box.

I would just save the extra money and buy it off steam.

And yes you should buy it.

Won

remz said:
Get a Farseer to confuse their Farseer and then all focus fire some other guy on the other team.

You think 16 is hard, wave 18 is fucked up!!

Des0lar said:
That's because you didn't have a Farseer in your team.

I don't think there was anything that could have brought the Space Marine down. Sorry guys!

I'm generally a bit irritated with the last few waves. Seems that a lot of wargear gets useless.

Plasma Heavy Bolter is positively pointless for The Last Stand in its current state. It's really fickle to wield accurately, your character constantly changes its field of view without you telling him to (even if no one's meleeing him), you can hardly aim the thing "manually" when trying to cover your allies from a building (even if there are plenty of enemies in its range), and so forth. Can't rely on your level 16 perk either for protection at close-range (
the Dreadnaught
, because you can't actually control it.

That said, here's my current highscore:

2ni1p4l.png

Anyone know what the max level is, by the way?

JonAmikar said:
Although I usually prefer a hard copy, I'm tempted to buy the game on Steam this weekend. $20 seems like a great deal.

I've been craving a new RTS in the spirit of WarCraft 3 (Heroes, lack of emphasis on base building, aggressive online play, smaller + more micro intensive battles) and Dawn of War II seems like a mix between COH and WC3.

Should I get it?
Sounds like it'll be right up your alley.

Maybe this should go in a new thread in the OT, but the combination of this game's imagery and a big-ass shelf at my local book store full of Warhammer 40K books has me interested in the fiction.

Is it worth delving into, and if so, where should I start (besides by playing the DoWII campaign)? Judging a whole IP by it's imagery, I expect a lot of hardcore action, gore, and badassery, but also a lot of honor and brotherhood and fury. It looks really cool from an outsider's perspective. :lol

CTLance

Blast Processing said:
the combination of this game's imagery and a big-ass shelf at my local book store full of Warhammer 40K books has me interested in the fiction.
Hooo boy, say goodbye to your money and free time. I'm not saying it's overly deep (it's a grimdark world, after all), but there's so much awesome fluff. SO. MUCH.

IIRC the Dan Abnett books were held in high regard, e.g. the Eisenhorn trilogy and Raven (?) are two collections of stories, and should work out nicely as an introduction to the universe.

Another neat collection of short stories is "Let the Galaxy Burn".

Why short stories? The universe is quite vast, and fiction is usually quite focused on one aspect/race/issue. With short stories you can at least try to see several "splinters" of a gargantuan whole.

BTW: If you're up to it, finding old codices would be a good source of fluff too. The 2nd edition codices (plural of Codex, so "second edition Codex" is what you should be looking for) were quite story-laden. They should be moderately cheap to acquire nowadays (->out of date). They'll be falling apart by now due to cheap binding, but whatever. Best bang for the book, I'd wager. They come in sets of two for Orks and Chaos... and I don't remember what the others were like.

A useful site is the Lexicanum. The List of Lists is neat for a quick overview. There's also the wikia entry with lots of info. You'll probably spoil yourself a bunch of stuff though. Still, if you decide to go for the books, then those sites will be useful as a glossary. They're prime timewasters in and of itself.

Speaking of which, here's a timeline and the obligatory evil tvtropes link to keep you occupied. >:)

Won

MicVlaD said:
Anyone know what the max level is, by the way?

Level 20, obviously.

Also I completely forgot how much the online setup in this game sucks. Terrible matchmaking, lags, random drops......it has everything!

Enosh

Blast Processing said:
Maybe this should go in a new thread in the OT, but the combination of this game's imagery and a big-ass shelf at my local book store full of Warhammer 40K books has me interested in the fiction.

Is it worth delving into, and if so, where should I start (besides by playing the DoWII campaign)? Judging a whole IP by it's imagery, I expect a lot of hardcore action, gore, and badassery, but also a lot of honor and brotherhood and fury. It looks really cool from an outsider's perspective. :lol

books REALY worth reading
-Eisenhorn trilogy
-Gaunts Ghost (think Sharpe (I will punch you if you don't know who Sharpe is), but in SPAAAACE)
-The Horus Heresy series in general is quite good, althrough some books are kinda meh*
-Ciaphas Cain books (Flashman (google it), but in SPAAAACE, one of the few actual funny books concerning 40k, it's about a covardly commisar that through twist of fate and shit loads of bad luck always finds himself in the most fucked up situations imaginable, but gets out of them due to an even bigger amount of luck and his trusted sidekick Jurgen, has quite a lot of strange shit like mentioning a very popular kids show about pyro the flame who likes to burn heretics :D)
-I liked Brothers of Snake, it's got the whole "300 but in SPAAAACE" thingy going on towards the end iirc
-the colection of short stories, Heroes of the Space Marines was also quite good, mostly beacose it featured some of the less used chapters like the Salamanders and Imperial Fists

*I would start with this one, it gives you the background of why the fuck the galaxy in the 41th millenium is such a shitty** place

**it's not actualy THAT shitty, the was majority of the IoM lives in worlds similar to our own but with some added tech due to the connections with the IoM, it's only around 1-5% of the IoM that's actualy at war, most worlds didn't see war in centuries/millenia, there are also so called "paradise worlds" which are basicly what the name says they are :D

shas'la

Enosh said:
books REALY worth reading
-Eisenhorn trilogy
-Gaunts Ghost (think Sharpe (I will punch you if you don't know who Sharpe is), but in SPAAAACE)
-The Horus Heresy series in general is quite good, althrough some books are kinda meh*
-Ciaphas Cain books (Flashman (google it), but in SPAAAACE, one of the few actual funny books concerning 40k, it's about a covardly commisar that through twist of fate and shit loads of bad luck always finds himself in the most fucked up situations imaginable, but gets out of them due to an even bigger amount of luck and his trusted sidekick Jurgen, has quite a lot of strange shit like mentioning a very popular kids show about pyro the flame who likes to burn heretics :D)
-I liked Brothers of Snake, it's got the whole "300 but in SPAAAACE" thingy going on towards the end iirc
-the colection of short stories, Heroes of the Space Marines was also quite good, mostly beacose it featured some of the less used chapters like the Salamanders and Imperial Fists

*I would start with this one, it gives you the background of why the fuck the galaxy in the 41th millenium is such a shitty** place

**it's not actualy THAT shitty, the was majority of the IoM lives in worlds similar to our own but with some added tech due to the connections with the IoM, it's only around 1-5% of the IoM that's actualy at war, most worlds didn't see war in centuries/millenia, there are also so called "paradise worlds" which are basicly what the name says they are :D

Cain series is a personal fav of mine. But I'd say starting out for some fluff would be the good old rule book, its got summaries of each race as well as their greatest/worst moments and how each race interacts with each other in galatic terms (lol tau).

As for BL book, i would say Eisenhorn has a great deal of detail about day to day imperial life, and gaunts ghosts has a fairly consistent level of clarity about how war is waged in the Imperium.

Most books ( hell all of the decent BL books) are based from the perspective of the Imperium so good guys ( or less bad guys) will win most of the time.

I'd say leave the HH books alone to start with as you dont want to start mixing up 30k with 40k.

Binabik15

The Ciaphas Cain books are AWESOME!

Not only are the books funny, it shows an empire of man that could actually work. I like the grimdark setting as much as the next guy, but come on, you´d expect every road on every planet to be made of the skulls of starved workers or something, with bombs going off randomly 24/7 like the rocket attacks from Big Brother reading some of the fluff :lol

But the books can only be really appreciated once you understand why Cain being a commissar and still acting like he does is so unlikely.

I didn´t like the short exccerpts from Eisenhorn and the Gaunt´s Ghosts books in WD, but I might buy them one day.

Daigoro

oh man now i want to get some more books. Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn are so damn good.

edit: the Eisenhorn Trilogy in one book on Amazon for $7.20. i dont think i have them all. i need to buy this.

JonAmikar said:

Should I get it?

yes do it. im the same way when it comes to RTS. i bought this game last night and ive been playing all day. its very fun.

Thanks for the awesome replies and info, guys. :D

I knew this stuff was big, but at this point it's like only knowing there's much I don't know about how big it is. :lol

I've seen that Eisenhorn book at my store, so maybe I'll start there.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Damn, thanks for asking the question, time to add a few books to my reading lists.

Edit: Also, could I get some Gamertags for Last Stand? Lyphen here.

Edit 2: Got to Round 16, got raped. Damn fun though, 3 hours just flew by.

Daigoro

mine is Daigoro (or fbDaigoro). ill try to add you. i need some friends who play this game.

can wait to try some co-op and last stand.

Won

To all people, who think they are invincible: Screw you! >.<

Can't be that hard to stay with the team.

My game also doesn't want to save screenshots anymore. :(

Edit: Oh it's alt+print.....well that makes sense!

Also Dakka Deffgun is broken. :lol

dejan

So we played again today and made it to wave 16 twice. Yeah, that one's fucked up. Our group was made up of 2 marines and an orc and after reaching some kind of deadlock, we finally gave up. We went apeshit after managing to down one enemy after like 10 minutes, just to witness him being revived seconds later. :lol Guess it's time to level up a Farseer.

Was just playing some The Last Stand via matchmaking. We got to wave 10 before dying. I'm playing a Farseer w/Confuse and a melee staff, at the moment. Gamertag is Count Elmdor if anyone wants to add me for some of this.

I began the campaign and played up through the two missions where you kill Gutrencha and Skykilla. Pretty cool, so far, but is there no way to re-bind keys?

Blast Processing said:

Be prepard for a ridiculously dark and ridiculously grim world. The self appointed "leader's of the universe", the space marines, are nothing more than glorified space nazi's who will stop at nothing to purge the universe of all Xeno's(impure/alien lifeforms). The lore tends to get very dark, and very grim, very fast.

Tyranid's are one of the most interesting parts of the lore, massive hive fleets that devour entire galaxies of all lifeforms. Chaos are basically the antithesis of the Space marines, and are tainted by the draw of four evil gods who appeal to human nature(offer power, wealth, eternal life, etc). There's so many different factions and different outlooks on the universe that the lore is amazing, but without fail, it is dark and brutal. I second the recommendation for old Codices (books that let you build a tabletop army, but are filled with fluff information as well), as I found those to be chock full of cool little short stories/excerpts from diaries and mission logs, etc. Plus some of them have a timeline present that will let you pinpoint specific moments in the lore and read about them from different perspectives.

Overall, it's one of the most well-developed universes out there that I am aware of. It's so awesome....and it's also basically what all of my teenage years got devoured by. Prepare for absolutely huge boatloads of awesome.

Top Bottom