• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Minsc said:
That one is actually a bit revolting, a worthy chaos unit for slaying!
Yeah, he's disgusting to me as well. Mission accomplished.

Here's some GUO background from DoW2.com:

The Great Unclean One
Walking mountains of rotting flesh. Jovial grandfathers of the legions of Nurgle. Repulsive and gregarious in equal measure.
The Great Unclean Ones are the mightiest daemons of Nurgle, the Chaos God of Plagues and Death, and they are perfect avatars of the Lord of Decay's own dichotomies.

Horror Made Flesh
In terms of physical presence, these mighty daemons are utterly revolting. Manifest on the physical plane, they inhabit tons of necrotic flesh. They tower over the battlefield, shambling and oozing forward on stout legs that seem unable to support their massive girth.
This fleshy mountain contains all the rot and pestilence that is Nurlge's to command. Gaping, gangrenous wounds expose organs writhing with maggots. Colonies of flies buzz within the terrible miasma that rises from the daemon's body. Smaller daemons called Nurglings crawl between the great folds of flesh, suckling on weeping sores and cankers. Powerful arms wield daemon blades dripping with poisonous death.
And atop it all sits a wide, leering head. Cracked horns rise among welts; eyes ablaze with vile intelligence leer from behind seeping wounds; an impossibly long tongue lolls out and licks the ichor from the daemon's own flesh.

The Charms of the Grave
The daemon's personality seems at complete odds with its nightmarish form. Instead of the inchoate rage or cackling sadism one might expect, the Great Unclean One chuckles with the deep laugh of a benevolent grandfather.
Like the Dark God he serves, the Great Unclean One is genuinely affectionate toward the legions of daemons and heretics he commands. After all, they have seen the truth of Nurgle and have received his gifts.
The Great Unclean One can even be charming toward those who oppose him. With a redolent laugh, the daemon may thank an enemy who has killed some of his agents -- for in delivering death to them, the enemy too does Nurgle's work.
The daemon's gregarious nature quickly falls away, however, when an enemy genuinely impedes Nurgle's grand plans. Then, an apocalyptic rage wells up in an unstoppable torrent and whole worlds can shatter with the Great Unclean One's fury.

The Weapons of Decay
Sitting at the apex of Nurgle's hordes, the Great Unclean One wields tremendous power. His physical form, though riven with rot and decay, is extremely powerful, allowing it to smash and rend any enemy foolish enough to come near.
The daemon may also expel some of the endless reserves of bile and toxin that roil within its endless bowels. From raising plagues of flies, to toxic clouds of poisonous gas, to great fonts of acidic vomit, the daemon is always happy to share Nurgle's gifts with its enemies.
The most honored enemies may even be privileged enough to see the full might of the daemon's flesh -- as they are drawn in through its gaping orifices and are utterly consumed.
He's most likely T3, like the Eldar Avatar.

K.Jack

They confirmed that stances are in for all units.

I'm so hyped for this expansion. They've really listened to the community.

Loved this game and looking forward to the expansion. Sorry if this has been brought up but do we have any word approximately how many new units each of the current armies are getting? Are the Space Marines only getting the libarian for example or is that the only one that's been confirmed so far?

Either way can't wait.

Daigoro

ive really been geetting into The Last Stand recently.

made it to Wave 19 yesterday for the first time. it was insane.

its a really fun mode. if they fleshed it out and added MORE of everything, it could really be godlike. hopefully they really go all out for TLS in the expansion.

im also replaying the campaign on Primarch. its pretty tough. i got to the first Tyranid level and im getting raped. those damn explosive bomb shooting suckers hurt.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just under a month until Chaos Rising hits Steam. Anyone else feel like Relic is being kind of...skimpy on newsbits and feature showcases? I mean, blog posts are all fine and good, but the "There is Only War" patch had more interesting content heralding it's release.

enewtabie

Bought this game after the Spartan vs Space Marine thread. My god this game is a bunch of fun. Love the tie in with achievements on GFWL. Add me if you want to play some.

Steam and gamertag is enewtabie.
Buying the expansion as soon as it comes out.

Victrix

*beard*
enewtabie said:
Bought this game after the Spartan vs Space Marine thread. My god this game is a bunch of fun.

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy – the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so bad that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial – carved into the heart of Chaos."

You are a good man sir

Light_of_the_Emperor_by_kingmong.jpg

falastini

Am I the only one disappointed that Chaos is the focus of the new expansion? I already got my fill of space marines in the first game, now I get to play the evil ones? I dunno, with Starcraft doing the same for their singleplayer story, I'm just sick of space marines. I would have liked to mix it up with some other races.

The absence of chaos deterred me from DoW2. I still ended up buying it, but played it very sparingly. I'm so glad to finally see a different greater demon other than the bloodthirster. Although I was hoping if they were going to devote an entire expansion to just Chaos that they would allow you to pick any of the 4 gods, even if the differences would be purely cosmetic. Someday I'll get to run some daemonettes with my Keeper of Secrets.

falastini said:
Am I the only one disappointed that Chaos is the focus of the new expansion? I already got my fill of space marines in the first game, now I get to play the evil ones? I dunno, with Starcraft doing the same for their singleplayer story, I'm just sick of space marines. I would have liked to mix it up with some other races.
Orcs would be great :)

But killing Orcs is even more fun :lol So it's not that much of a problem for me :)

Llyranor

Still completely addicted to Last Stand. What a fun awesome mode with 2 buddies. Still loving how easy it is to just add and remove equipment to make very different builds. Got my Farseer to lvl 19 and the Warp Spear. Warp Pull is such a hilarious ability, and easily already my favorite Farseer ability. I tip my hat to the devs, even with just one map and the same 20 waves each time, this mode has managed to have extremely high replayability by having very different abilities being unlocked every level. Coming up with new hero/party builds is loads of fun. Completely hyped about the xpac and 2 new heroes.

enewtabie

Still slowly working my way through the campaign,but if you have a PC,then this game should be on your list. I'm not a big RTS fan and DOW2 isn't your normal RTS game in the sense,but it's a ton of fun.:lol Loving my Marine squad with a rocket launcher.
I hope I get to use some of those big walking machines like in the video. I have no idea about the lore,but it's become very interesting. Enough to where I'm gonna get one of the Marine figures for the office. :lol

K.Jack

falastini said:
There is no DoW without Chaos.

Relic almost got crucified for not having them in the vanilla release.

Space Marines will always be the focus of Warhammer 40k, unless the Imperial Guard shows up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
K.Jack said:
There is no DoW without Chaos.

Relic almost got crucified for not having them in the vanilla release.

Space Marines will always be the focus of Warhammer 40k, unless the Imperial Guard shows up.

Warhammer fans are lame. Orks should be the focus.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wot me guts doin' over dere? Ow!

And not exactly the right place, but my girlfriend got me the Eisenhorn mega-book for my birthday. Incredible! I haven't had this much of a fun ride reading something in a long, long while. Its well written, considering the tone (dry, dark!). Makes the W40K verse that much more awesome.

Javaman

Now is a great time to buy the game on Steam. They have the entire THQ collection for $50. It kinda sucks if you own a bunch of THQ games like me though. I'd like to buy this one, but I have to either choose to pay $30 for just DOW2 or $50 for multiple copies (which you don't get to keep or give away) of a bunch of games I already have.

Company of Heroes $19.99
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts $19.99
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor $29.99
Frontlines™: Fuel of War™ $29.99
Full Spectrum Warrior $9.99
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers $9.99
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights $14.99
Red Faction $9.99
Red Faction Guerrilla $19.99
Red Faction II $9.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl $19.99
Saints Row 2 $29.99
Titan Quest $14.99
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne $14.99
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II $29.99
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade $19.99
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Gold Edition $19.99
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm $29.99

$50 for all of those.

Daigoro

Lyphen said:
Wot me guts doin' over dere? Ow!

And not exactly the right place, but my girlfriend got me the Eisenhorn mega-book for my birthday. Incredible! I haven't had this much of a fun ride reading something in a long, long while. Its well written, considering the tone (dry, dark!). Make the W40K that much more awesome.

yeah, great books. Dan Abnett is great at writing 40k fluff. guy is real good at sci-fi/fantasy.

ghst said:
dear relic, balance your damn game and i'll buy the expansion pack.

can't say fairer than that.

shit, im buying it based on single player alone. a little Last Stand thrown in there and im set.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ghst said:
dear relic, balance your damn game and i'll buy the expansion pack.

can't say fairer than that.
I'm sure the Chaos Rising patch will solve all the world's problems.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Acosta said:
Standalone. I don't remember the price with similar Relic expansions, but I think they were barely cheaper than the original.

tales of imba was twenty quid. i had a similar "balance the game and i'll buy the expansion" ethos when that was released too.

still isn't on my steam list, even after the £3 xmas sale.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So how does the standalone expansion work? If I buy Chaos Rising and link it to a different steam id and gfwl id and install it on a different computer can I play 'local' Multiplayer with the expansion and my original DoWII on two different computers? I am assuming co-op campaign would be restricted to two copies of the same title, but skirmish and LMS would be fair game?

Javaman said:
Company of Heroes $19.99
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts $19.99
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor $29.99
Frontlines™: Fuel of War™ $29.99
Full Spectrum Warrior $9.99
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers $9.99
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights $14.99
Red Faction $9.99
Red Faction Guerrilla $19.99
Red Faction II $9.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl $19.99
Saints Row 2 $29.99
Titan Quest $14.99
Titan Quest - Immortal Throne $14.99
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II $29.99
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade $19.99
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Gold Edition $19.99
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm $29.99

$50 for all of those.

Holy shit, that is one hell of a deal, if you guys don't own any two of these games and are interested, definitely worth getting the whole pack. I wish you can just give the games you don't need, would have been definitely worth it.

I generally dislike RTS games, but I'm thinking this might be the one for me. I love the idea of keeping track of only a couple of units, and having no base building seems perfect.

Haven't tried an RTS in years, but I think I'll give this a shot.

KaYotiX

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:
I generally dislike RTS games, but I'm thinking this might be the one for me. I love the idea of keeping track of only a couple of units, and having no base building seems perfect.

Haven't tried an RTS in years, but I think I'll give this a shot.

IMO the Single Player isnt a RTS at all, you control 4 units basically. NOW the MP is more like a regular RTS with base building and other units and such.

KaYotiX said:
IMO the Single Player isnt a RTS at all, you control 4 units basically. NOW the MP is more like a regular RTS with base building and other units and such.
The single-player is much less traditional for sure, but I'd say the multiplayer is still pretty different to standard RTS. It remind me more of a squad-based take on a control point action game or something. "Base building" is still pretty minimal.

Sounds perfect. I'm not really into MP for the most part, so I'd be goin' in strictly for the single player story mode. 4 units and no base building sounds about perfect.

Javaman

sweetvar26 said:
Holy shit, that is one hell of a deal, if you guys don't own any two of these games and are interested, definitely worth getting the whole pack. I wish you can just give the games you don't need, would have been definitely worth it.

Yeah, it's pretty crappy that you don't get extra copies to giveaway or prorate the $50 based on previously owned games. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP is sorta doing the latter with a discount if you own the earlier ones in the series.

I'm caught in a Steam paradox and just can't justify paying $30 for DOW2.

One concern I have...all I really know about Warhammer can be summed up as this:

1. It has Orcs and Humans.
2. People paint pewter figurines of Warhammer characters.
3. Supposedly Blizzard ripped off their whole schtick and art style for Warcraft.

Is this game enjoyable to someone who has no real familiarity with Warhammer lore? I have nothing against it, I'm just truly ignorant on the subject.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You don't need to know anything about it, just know that it's dark, the good guys are zealots, and every race are jerks out for their own good.

Whoompthereitis said:
3. Supposedly Blizzard ripped off their whole schtick and art style for Warcraft.
Oh, and that this is fact, damnit!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Whoompthereitis said:
One concern I have...all I really know about Warhammer can be summed up as this:

Is this game enjoyable to someone who has no real familiarity with Warhammer lore? I have nothing against it, I'm just truly ignorant on the subject.
Just so you know Warhammer and Warhammer 40K are pretty different in setting even though they have similar factions, orcs etc. 40K is set in the future, and you really don't need to have prior knowledge of the lore to get the most out of the game - although it may lessen the impact of some of the loot such as the terminator armor.

Thomper

Whoompthereitis said:

I've never read/played/done anything associated to Warhammer, in fact, I have a dislike of most of that kind of sci-fi, but really enjoyed the game itself. Clocked quite a few hours into it. If you're a fan of the Company of Heroes-style RTS', definitely worth picking up.

Whoompthereitis said:

1.) Yea most games have humans..... and Orks in warhammer world are the coolest orks anywhere. Fuck those shitty orks you get in other fantasy games or Tolkienesque universes.

2.) This really has no relevance to the video games or the lore really, it's just one aspect of the universe. There is tons of novels, comic books, board games, video games, etc all in the universe, one can enjoy it without touching a figure as I know many do.

3.) It's a well known rumor that seems to have some validity. Basically it was supposedly Blizzard who was making a Warhammer game for Games Workshop when the deal fell through. Blizzard kept the work they had done and turned it into Warcraft.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
AssassiN said:
It's a standalone expansion.
You might be wrong there, i assume the expansion would require the original game, considering the campaign increases the level cap from 20 to 30. Edit. NVM it is. Weird

I've never read/played/done anything associated to Warhammer, in fact, I have a dislike of most of that kind of sci-fi, but really enjoyed the game itself. Clocked quite a few hours into it. If you're a fan of the Company of Heroes-style RTS', definitely worth picking up.

Yeah, the thing is I've never even tried COH. I'm a console guy. A few weeks ago I bought my first gaming rig since 2001. My new PC is pretty powerful for the moment, and I'm having a great time with it. So far I've played through Mass Effect 1 and 2, and done a fair bit of Dragon Age. I'm kinda burning out on Bioware for the time being- I need to try something new. STALKER looks interesting, but I'm looking to try something that's not a shooter after having played both Mass Effect games back to back.

As I said before, I've never liked RTS games. From what I've heard of Relic's approach to them though, I figure if there's any chance I'll get into the genre it'll be with one of their 'scaled down' games. I know that COH is supposedly incredible, but I'm leaning towards DOW mostly because the 40K thing is at least new to me. WWII shit I'm kinda burned out on, as a lot of people are.

Is COH more/less accessible than DOW? Just curious.

And hey, thanks everyone for the info. I'm pretty determined to give this game a shot now. I think I'll probably really get into the single player.

Dreavus

Lafiel said:
You might be wrong there, i assume the expansion would require the original game, considering the campaign increases the level cap from 20 to 30. Edit. NVM it is. Weird

Yup, it's stand-alone. They're even updating all DoW2 owners with the new units for the original four factions regardless of whether they buy Chaos Rising or not. That way the community doesn't get split up.

It terms of campaign stuff, I don't know how that would work if you don't have characters to bring over. I'm assuming you'll just receive lvl 20 squads and some stock equipment to go along with them?

Top Bottom