• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution |OT| - Last Minute WAAAAGH!

Man I'm so LTTP on this game. The campaign bored me to tears so I gave up on it, but skirmish mode is hella fun. It's just so gleeful and action packed, I love it.

I do wish the AI was a little better, Expert provides me with a little challenge but I still beat it all the time, whereas real players roll me straight up. Last Stand is pretty good too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Played through vanilla awhile ago (new pc)

Have both DLC's now, which is better to start with?

Does anything from my save carry over? Such a bummer if losing my save gimps me :(

Kalnos

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
Played through vanilla awhile ago (new pc)

Have both DLC's now, which is better to start with?

Does anything from my save carry over? Such a bummer if losing my save gimps me :(

Vanilla meaning DOW2 and both DLCs meaning Chaos Rising and Retribution?

It's meant to be played DOW2 --> Chaos Rising --> Retribution (space marines) and not having your save headed into Chaos Rising doesn't mean much, I did it that way.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Kalnos said:
Vanilla meaning DOW2 and both DLCs meaning Chaos Rising and Retribution?

It's meant to be played DOW2 --> Chaos Rising --> Retribution (space marines) and not having your save headed into Chaos Rising doesn't mean much, I did it that way.

That's the way I meant, thanks, going to go play through the DLC that order.

Honestly I remember almost nothing from Vanilla Dow2 story wise.

Gvaz

Banned
Does anyone have a trainer or cheat table that works with 2.6 Chaos rising? I'm at like the last couple missions of vanilla and I just can't be assed and want to breeze through it :(

zoukka

Yes I got this too as a gift, so if anyone wants to play with a noobish cool guy like me, then add me on steam zoukka_fin

I know the basics well enough to stand my own in 1v1 or team games :) Haven't played anything but the Mekboy Orcs yet.

Is anyone still playing this? I recently loaded it up again and I was surprised and pleased to find that Relic added some sweet new AI. Expert is actually pretty hard (at least for me, mostly a casual player of this game) and Hard seems harder than it was before.

Hit me up for comp stomps if you are playing. My account name is SteamyBalrog.

I also really wish Relic would put out some quality DLC for this instead of just reskins. Like a scenario pack or something. But who knows what's going on at Relic these days =/

Decado

Sorry for the bump, but this is the most recent OT I could find.

Is there a way (mod/hack etc.) to allow pause for issuing orders in the Chaos Rising campaign? I assumed it was that way since that feature was available in the main game. Pretty pissed that I can't do it in Chaos Rising (same problem with Retribution?).

Thanks

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sorry for the bump, but this is the most recent OT I could find.

Is there a way (mod/hack etc.) to allow pause for issuing orders in the Chaos Rising campaign? I assumed it was that way since that feature was available in the main game. Pretty pissed that I can't do it in Chaos Rising (same problem with Retribution?).

Thanks

Are you sure you can't? I thought you could issue the simple point and click orders while paused, in all three.

I'll have to reinstall to confirm.

Decado

lol. I had forgotten that you had to use the Pause button on your keyboard and not the spacebar.

Anyway, another question...does anyone find the bosses in this game bloody annoying? They take *forever* to kill. It's like a war of attrition...whoever gets bored first loses. Do they all have a tactics that work best on them or something?

If it wasn't for the fact that they are so passive I wouldn't stand a chance.

Nordicus

The Sharpest Wrench achievement in Last Stand annoyed the hell out of me. 350 kills in single match with Mekboy, and I don't have the DLC weapons which would allow me to do a really lethal explosive teleporter build, and the map with far more units, Anvil of Khorne is bugged and will not record results for me. By wave 16, our team will have killed roughly 700 enemies in any case, 350 being half of that meant that I really had to outperform rest of my team

So basically I had to cross my fingers with a trash-killing build that my teammates were either too tanky, or plain too crap to kill many people, assuming we died in Wave 16 of Bloody Colosseum to the doppelgangers. I hate achievements where you have to play excellently while your friends are just crappy enough that they stay out of your way but also do not lose, it's maddening. Especially when there's a bit of gear tied to it.

Thankfully this just happened. My teammate Lord General was admittedly bad at the game, or with the character, and the Space Marine Captain went all in on support and tankiness. Our doppelgangers were impossible to beat as a result, but at least I got 413 kills from it. Lord general was too busy dying and Captain was too busy ressing and tanking/kiting big melee units to kill many enemies

ArjanN

The Sharpest Wrench achievement in Last Stand annoyed the hell out of me. 350 kills in single match with Mekboy, and I don't have the DLC weapons which would allow me to do a really lethal explosive teleporter build, and the map with far more units, Anvil of Khorne is bugged and will not record results for me. By wave 16, our team will have killed roughly 700 enemies in any case, 350 being half of that meant that I really had to outperform rest of my team

So basically I had to cross my fingers with a trash-killing build that my teammates were either too tanky, or plain too crap to kill many people, assuming we died in Wave 16 of Bloody Colosseum to the doppelgangers. I hate achievements where you have to play excellently while your friends are just crappy enough that they stay out of your way but also do not lose, it's maddening. Especially when there's a bit of gear tied to it.

Thankfully this just happened. My teammate Lord General was admittedly bad at the game, or with the character, and the Space Marine Captain went all in on support and tankiness. Our doppelgangers were impossible to beat as a result, but at least I got 413 kills from it. Lord general was too busy dying and Captain was too busy ressing and tanking/kiting big melee units to kill many enemies

I don't like those achievements either, there were a couple of those in Last Stand, where your teammates essentially have to hold back so you can get it, so it's pretty much impossible with randoms.

Nordicus

I don't like those achievements either, there were a couple of those in Last Stand, where your teammates essentially have to hold back so you can get it, so it's pretty much impossible with randoms.
Yup. What added to my annoyance is that I don't even like creating nor playing trash-killing builds with my Mekboy. I like his completely bizarre support builds!

The one build that I used to beat Anvil of Khorne had me zapping around the battlefield, refilling my teammates' energy as often as possible, and picking off infantry with the big shoota when I didn't.

Or how about my new favorite booby-trap spamming melee build that essentially keeps the entire battlefield pseudo-supressed at all times, even tanks and superheavy units? And because I build him so tanky, I have to get focused on in order to die. This means that when I can't get enough energy for more mines and death is inevitable, I waltz right in middle of that huge energy horde and wipe out everyone with my suicide bomb, because I have everyone's aggro.

Took a while to realize that the suicide bomb was better for tanky builds, because Ork Mekboy, when not wearing the tanky armor, is so frail that he can die to a surprise bee sting when you still have your distance. Distance is the important word here, the bomb is no use if it won't reach. With tanky mekboy you can see your death coming several seconds away.

Anyone playing last stand with Necron Overlord out now?

I bought the tau commander since he was on sale and I'm looking to beat wave 20, I'm at level 18 now. Also looking to get the achievement where you kill all the dopplegangers 5 seconds within each other, which seems hard to do without a coordinated team.

Top Bottom