• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution |OT| - Last Minute WAAAAGH!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No really. Dark Angels have their own specific (awesome) robed monk style. Looks great, and I'll buy it. They have cool power weapons too, and I hope they changed those.

markot

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:
Wait, it's just a space marine reskin, not a new race? And it costs $7.50? Why?
>.> Warhammer?

People like armies and factions. People spend thousands on the figurines and crap, this is just a small way of customising the game. Like Hats!

Metal Gear?! said:
Wait, it's just a space marine reskin, not a new race? And it costs $7.50? Why?
So the big fans can pay that day 1 while the rest of us pick it up further on down the road for $2.50 on sale. Seems pretty reasonable to me for a detailed reskin of an entire race that looks to be really well done.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm not buying that one, but a Thousand Sons skin will get picked up immediately.

Will add that to the OP.

I'm so sick that I'm not even playing this game yet.

Anno

Harlequin recently cast probably the most epic 2v2 that's ever happened for someone with 40 minutes to kill.

$7.50 for a reskin is maybe a bit steep, but I bet a lot of people will pay it. I think that's a decent avenue to go for DLC. Relic adds a decent amount of content for free so I don't really have a problem throwing them a few bones.

Mrbob

Is there any way to adjust the camera if you are playing Very Hard? Finished a campaign on Normal and Hard now starting a 3rd campaign on Very Hard. I don't like the way the camera is moved in so close on Very Hard. It is at an over the shoulder viewpoint. Adds an artificial layer of difficulty to make it tougher to do things. I went back to Hard on the Ork campaign I started because of it. I need my overhead view.

I finished once with the Eldar and Space Marines the the light heartedness of the Ork campaign is a refreshing change. The Ork Commander demanding The Inquisitor's hat to help out had me rolling! Writing is hilarious with the Orks!

remz

Mrbob said:
Is there any way to adjust the camera if you are playing Very Hard? Finished a campaign on Normal and Hard now starting a 3rd campaign on Very Hard. I don't like the way the camera is moved in so close on Very Hard. It is at an over the shoulder viewpoint. Adds an artificial layer of difficulty to make it tougher to do things. I went back to Hard on the Ork campaign I started because of it. I need my overhead view.

I finished once with the Eldar and Space Marines the the light heartedness of the Ork campaign is a refreshing change. The Ork Commander demanding The Inquisitor's hat to help out had me rolling! Writing is hilarious with the Orks!
Try pressing backspace?

Started playing a bit more of this game, and after being a huge fan of DoW2 and Chaos Rising, im really not feeling the fact that they added in all the multiplayer stuff. I already had a hard enough time controlling 4 dudes really effectively, and tactically and now I have to control 8 at a time? fuck me.

They need to add a BioWare pause system so I can set all this shit up!

I like how they added other races to play as during campaign, but I would rather go back to just space marines, if it ment I would get more loot like the last 2 games, and feel like I need to be more tactical with my movements.

Maybe I should play more of the Space Marines, but so far this is my experience with the Eldar, and im not enjoying it half as much as DoW2 and CR.

ArjanN

Mrbob said:

Umm.. the camera isn't related to the difficulty.

Nobiru said:
Started playing a bit more of this game, and after being a huge fan of DoW2 and Chaos Rising, im really not feeling the fact that they added in all the multiplayer stuff. I already had a hard enough time controlling 4 dudes really effectively, and tactically and now I have to control 8 at a time? fuck me.

They need to add a BioWare pause system so I can set all this shit up!

I like how they added other races to play as during campaign, but I would rather go back to just space marines, if it ment I would get more loot like the last 2 games, and feel like I need to be more tactical with my movements.

Maybe I should play more of the Space Marines, but so far this is my experience with the Eldar, and im not enjoying it half as much as DoW2 and CR.

You don't have to create more units, you can also just buy the upgrades for your 4 heroes. I mostly just play with the heroes myself.

ArjanN said:

You don't have to create more units, you can also just buy the upgrades for your 4 heroes. I mostly just play with the heroes myself.

I will have to start doing that I guess. Its just when these missions are telling me to build some dudes or little tanks, or they just start me with a tank, I feel like I should listen to them. Im still really early in the game, so maybe that changes, or I can just stop listening to what the tell me to do in some cases :p.

Fitz

ArjanN said:

Indeed, my first two campaigns as Marines and then Eldar I stuck to only using the heroes and picked all the wargear rewards after missions, but as Guard I've gone the opposite direction and am maxing my other units as much as possible. Both ways are really fun, and play out quite differently.

ArjanN

Nobiru said:
I will have to start doing that I guess. Its just when these missions are telling me to build some dudes or little tanks, or they just start me with a tank, I feel like I should listen to them. Im still really early in the game, so maybe that changes, or I can just stop listening to what the tell me to do in some cases :p.

Well, when non-hero units die, you get back the money you spent on them, so you can also just spam the non-heroes towards the enemy and not micromanage them all that much. :p

ArjanN

Patch 3.14 is out on steam!

12 new Last Stand achievements, each one tied to a piece of new wargear.

Also, a bunch of bugs fixes and multiplayer balance changes.

Zeliard said:
Been playing as Chaos in the campaign, good fun so far. They're a fun bunch of evil bastards.

Anyone try the Tyranid campaign? Heard that's the most disappointing one of the bunch.

I've done Space Marines and Imperial Guard and am currently doing Chaos.

The missons are 99% identical each campaign, but because the dialogue, wargear and abilities are different it's still fun to play multiple times with different races.

Also, try the tutorial, I skipped it the first time, but it actually has some story in it.

Mrbob

Last Stand update live sweet. :D

ArjanN said:

I didn't think so either but I've started the Ork campaign 5 times now on Very Hard and every time it gives me an up close viewpoint. I start it on Hard and I can get the over the head view. I must be hitting some sort of odd glitch.

It also isn't only me. I've been co oping with a friend and the same thing happened with him starting a game.

ArjanN

Mrbob said:
Last Stand update live sweet. :D

I didn't think so either but I've started the Ork campaign 5 times now on Very Hard and every time it gives me an up close viewpoint. I start it on Hard and I can get the over the head view. I must be hitting some sort of odd glitch.

It also isn't only me. I've been co oping with a friend and the same thing happened with him starting a game.

Oh, it might be a bug then, but that's definately not supposed to happen.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The Farseer's new staff in Last Stand pretty much makes all her other weapons obsolete. It has the highest ranged attack power of any of her weapons by an order of magnitude, it deals melee damage on par with the Witchblade of the Crone, it knocks back whatever it hits, it cuts all energy costs by 25%, and even though it doesn't mention it in the description it also makes her Unshakable.

It's kind of a huge paradigm shift for the elf to actually be able to kill things without Storming them.

markot

Banned
New skin DLC is top sellar on steam, hope people know its just a reskin and not a new army with skills/abilities >.>

They should do a TF2 kind of thingy for warhammer, in mp, win paints, emblems and crap to 'jazz' up the army, and have a store too >.<

markot said:
New skin DLC is top sellar on steam
Looks like it's just at the top of the "New Releases" list unlist my top sellers list hasn't updated or something.

They added a free Ork "Freebooterz" reskin too.
xPngJ.jpg

ArjanN

ixix said:
The Farseer's new staff in Last Stand pretty much makes all her other weapons obsolete. It has the highest ranged attack power of any of her weapons by an order of magnitude, it deals melee damage on par with the Witchblade of the Crone, it knocks back whatever it hits, it cuts all energy costs by 25%, and even though it doesn't mention it in the description it also makes her Unshakable.

It's kind of a huge paradigm shift for the elf to actually be able to kill things without Storming them.

I think most of the achievement wargear is meant to be kind of overpowered. By the time you get it you'll most likely have beaten the maps anyway. It does make prestiging a character a lot easier because you keep the achievement wargear.

Mrbob

ixix said:

Yeah it is a sweet weapon, but I do miss my Levitation Field. You can take out a ton of enemies at once with this ability. Fortune + Levitation Field + Teleport is a deadly combo.

Fëanor

Man, I'm glad we switched to steam over from GFWL!

*plays rank with his friend*
*steam dies*
*steam does this every week*
*misses GFWL*

Improvements!

ArjanN

Fëanor said:
Man, I'm glad we switched to steam over from GFWL!

*plays rank with his friend*
*steam dies*
*steam does this every week*
*misses GFWL*

Improvements!

The Portal 2 pre-load and ARG updates seem to be murdering their servers.

Daigoro

You guys hear that Last Stand is being released as a stand alone title on Steam today? Just read it in the Steam thread.

Kinda neat.

Iskander

Neo Member
LTTP on this Last Stand business...it looks neat but I'm going to be away from reliable internet for about a year. Any chance you can do Last Stand on the LAN? Doesn't look like it after poking around in the menus, but a guy can hope.

Iskander said:
LTTP on this Last Stand business...it looks neat but I'm going to be away from reliable internet for about a year. Any chance you can do Last Stand on the LAN? Doesn't look like it after poking around in the menus, but a guy can hope.
Nope, no more LAN. Forget about it. It's even need an internet connection to watch froggin replays.

ArjanN

HeadlessRoland said:
As opposed to giving the content and cosmetic stuff for box price?

Yes, because they're not a charitable organisation?

Selling cosmetic stuff for hardcore fans is great because it helps keep Relic in business, and doesn't affect you if you don't want to pay for it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Honestly, when the alternative is splintering the community with map packs, I'll take paid cosmetic items every time.

Draft

That's not a complaint about DLC in general, it's a specific complaint about this DLC. $7.50 is a lot of money for 2 RTS unit skins. Capcom sells cosmetic DLC that contains twice the content (4 characters) and costs half as much. That doesn't even factor in the difference between a fighting game character skin, which is huge and detailed and looked at intently for the entire game, and RTS unit skins, which are almost indistinguishable from the default choices at the game's playable viewpoint.

K.Jack

Relic knows that very few will buy it. It's just meant for the hardcore Dark Angels fan, who will gladly pay to play as their favorite faction. It isn't for us.

I hope they do more, especially with the awesome potential of Chaos. I'd easily pay $7.50, to play as a fully Nurgled Death Guard army.

dollartaco said:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594684125262132005/5D79DD68FD90E5B691A0D3B81B6FB413D01C2A36/

Any idea why I might be getting this weird dithering/color banding? It's like I have it in 16bit color mode. Drivers are up to date, this happens at all graphical settings.
Nvidia or AMD?

K.Jack

dollartaco said:
AMD, 6950, latest driver
Hmm, I'm not sure.

I'm using a 6970M (desktop 6850) in 11.4, and I don't have the issue. I gurss try reinstalling the driver.

Top Bottom