• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution |OT| - Last Minute WAAAAGH!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just picked up the game a few days ago (been playing other stuff) and absolutely loving the game. I'm playing through co-op with my buddy, and I almost feel like this is the real way to play the game (perhaps dumb to say, but I really feel that way).

Since all the squads are split between us, we usually end up having 4 squads each. Playing through the Space marine campaign right now, and I'm rolling with Martellus and The Ancient while my friend rolls with Diomedes and Cyrus. I tend to call in two sets of devatastor squads for suppression, and he tends to call in a dreadnought and a Terminator squad.

People complaining about having too many squads to control should really try playing co-op. It becomes a lot more manageable (and of course, you still have the choice to just upgrade heroes and roll with no one else if you so desire).

Just got two great Last Stand games: CS (me) + CS + Marine. Lvl 18-20, Anvil of Khorne. 1st try - Wave 20. Second try - Won.

I'm using Scroll of Blood/Vengeance with my CS and it's working great. Nobody else is using quite the same combination, and it can really save the day. Now I need to try Doomblast tank :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I played my first game of Last Stand last night, and loved it. Got to lvl 5 or so with the Marine Captain.

Since I'm playing the campaigns with a buddy of mine, last Stand is what I play when he's not available. It's a great mode. I wish there were more maps, though.

Ahhhh, shit! Lost 2 matches in a row so now I'm kinda depressed. Really really really hate to lose in strategy games. It's like my intelligence is in doubt.

thetrin

that's kind of why I don't play multiplayer strat games. Most of my DoW2 time is spent playing coop campaign or last stand.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Multiplayer is great, but really unforgiving. Squad wipes early on means nearly always a loss.
But once you get into it, it's really great.

Des0lar said:
Multiplayer is great, but really unforgiving. Squad wipes early on means nearly always a loss.
But once you get into it, it's really great.

The way Skirmish works also means that no victory is completely assured. You can be down 300-100 tickets and still have a good chance of winning. It makes for some really satisfying victories but really demoralizing losses on the flip side.

Fëanor

Going with steam sure made Retribution a super popular game guys!

What a joke, it isn't any better than Live and at times far worse.

Daigoro

Fëanor said:
Going with steam sure made Retribution a super popular game guys!

What a joke, it isn't any better than Live and at times far worse.

were people actually arguing that?

this game certainly does deserve to be more popular though.

ArjanN

Sneaky Gato said:
Are there any more expansions planned? If so I would love to get the newly reimagined DE in there.

They haven't announced anything, but I hope so. IMO they could keep DoW2 running for a couple more years at least.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm eager for a summer sale on this game. Love DoW2, but don't wanna spend the money =/

Fëanor

Matchmaking was surprisingly fast tonite. It was kind of shocking actually.

Sorry Mr Nug Nug, but I was finally able to beat your Orks without too much trouble.

ArjanN

thundr51 said:
It's also 20 at D2D as well.

Oddly enough I went there to look if I could find Shogun 2 cheaper but got this instead.

That's a great deal for this game. Most played game this year so far for me.

dorkimoe

ive had dow2/chaos rising for since launch. Just started playing last stand. Does it always lag like complete ass? or is it possible to have a lag free game? Or do i need to buy retribution and find more games

dorkimoe

RTS is one of my favorite genres of all time. But i NEVER EVER play multiplayer because its always so terribly laggy. Such a shame

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Last Stand is almost lag-free but full multiplayer is plagued with it. The netcode is awful, possibly even worse than Chaos Rising.

Fëanor

The game shines at 3v3, but yes lag can be a pain and yes its definitely worse in Retribution. Not only that, steam servers taking a shit during the middle of the match is the worse and it happens often. Such a shame, the game has great MP and it needs more people since a good chunk of the players decided to stay in Chaos Rising.

Edit: Last Stand is not lag free, in my 136 hours of game time I have experience some shitacular lag in that mode along with friends and randoms.

Fredescu

I bought this in the sale and I'm loving it. Relic seem to address my campaign issues in each expansion. Vanilla: "Fun, but the maps are kinda samey". Chaos: "Maps are now awesome, but I can't save mid level and I now have less time for video games, so I will never complete it." Retribution: "Good maps and mid level saving, huzzah! Also grenades etc aren't limited, sweet!"

I find it sort of sad that this thread is so short. I really should have been there day 1. I wonder if the market is suffering Dawn of War fatigue and if bringing Dawn of War 3 out soonish is a good idea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fredescu said:
I bought this in the sale and I'm loving it. Relic seem to address my campaign issues in each expansion. Vanilla: "Fun, but the maps are kinda samey". Chaos: "Maps are now awesome, but I can't save mid level and I now have less time for video games, so I will never complete it." Retribution: "Good maps and mid level saving, huzzah! Also grenades etc aren't limited, sweet!"

I find it sort of sad that this thread is so short. I really should have been there day 1. I wonder if the market is suffering Dawn of War fatigue and if bringing Dawn of War 3 out soonish is a good idea.
Actually, Retribution heavily beat THQ's expectations.

GAF just has a very small PC community.

Fredescu said:

Nades were unlimited with the proper spec in DOW2 campaigns...It's a shame you didn't complete Chaos Rising because storywise as I think that was the strongest of the three. I wonder how the community is doing with Skirmish at this point.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So uh, are the post-mission load times supposed to take a minute? The hell is up with this game. Weird color depth, too.

Card Boy

Banned
Just started playing this after picking it up from Amazon for $7.50. I used to play alot of Last Stand in the original and Chaos Rising and jumped straight into it in Retribution. I must say i really like the Lord General, best Last Stand Hero so far.

I have played like 4 hours straight of Last Stand, and haven't even touched the campaign, that mode is like crack. I always average Wave 11, and 16 is my highest with the General. I once went to 20 on Chaos Rising as Space Marine, but that was a fluke as i had good teammates.

Ken

Got a question:

So I picked the Last Stand game up for me and a friend thinking I coud just so 2 player coop with both of is at level 1, but I could only find an option for matchmaking. Is there anyway to just play with friends? Also, is there a way to get paired with people on the same level? My first game was with really high leveled players and I couldn't do much.

Also, is there coop for the campaign mode of the main game?

Card Boy

Banned
Ken said:
Is there anyway to just play with friends?
Yes, but I'm not at my PC to open up the game and check

Also, is there a way to get paired with people on the same level?

I think the game tries to do that, but then expands it's search. There is no dedicated "match my level only option" if thats what your asking. As for regular multiplayer i don't know since i don't play it. You only really need to be Level 4 to 7 to be useful. Doesn't take that long to level up, maybe 3 to 6 matches. Just the higher levels are a long grind.

Also, is there coop for the campaign mode of the main game?

Yes, there is even achievements for it.

Ken

Gez said:
Yes, but I'm not at my PC to open up the game and check

I think the game tries to do that, but then expands it's search. There is no dedicated "match my level only option" if thats what your asking. As for regular multiplayer i don't know since i don't play it. You only really need to be Level 4 to 7 to be useful. Doesn't take that long to level up, maybe 3 to 6 matches. Just the higher levels are a long grind.

Yes, there is even achievements for it.
Thanks for answering. How is the campaign experience in coop? Will both players get to keep their own loot and progress into their own games?

Card Boy

Banned
Ken said:
Thanks for answering. How is the campaign experience in coop? Will both players get to keep their own loot and progress into their own games?

Not sure as i haven't done it, but i know you can Co-Op the campaign as you can invite people while playing it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Start Last Stand -> Choose Hero -> Hit Ready -> You'll then see 'Invite Friend' options.

Finally have put some hours into the campaign since picking it up during the STEAM sale and is it just me or is normal difficulty really easy? I played the first two on normal and remember them being relatively challenging, Retribution I'm ripping through missions without even bothering too much with positioning or proper tactics.

Sir Garbageman said:
Finally have put some hours into the campaign since picking it up during the STEAM sale and is it just me or is normal difficulty really easy? I played the first two on normal and remember them being relatively challenging, Retribution I'm ripping through missions without even bothering too much with positioning or proper tactics.

The campaign missions on normal have always been easy. You can pretty much just hit the retreat button when shit hits the fan.

glaurung

Yeah Retribution feels a bit easier coming off the brutal Chaos game that preceded it.

You can always crank up the difficulty to get that challenge back real quick.

K.Jack

Gully State said:
The campaign missions on normal have always been easy.
Yeah, the previous games on whatever was normal (Captain?) were easy enough.

Is Very Hard as bad as Primarch? I beat the first two games on Primarch, but it wasn't exactly fun. I'd rather not suffer through bosses with millions of HP again.

I need to get back to Retribution. I've played the first SM mission, but that's it. Maybe I'll start today.

Fëanor

Just got done destroying some noob on 1v1. By mistake I ended up with three squads of heretics instead of two so I thought I was done for. Nope, once I got my grenade upgrade plus chaos marines out it was game over for the other guy. I have never used that many squads of heretics with grenade launch upgrade, so it was pretty crazy seeing how much damage I was doing to his fragile Eldar infantry and his build order was umm very noobish.

I do find 1v1 matches very stressful though, specially when the other guy really makes you play hard to win.

I just picked this game up from Amazon for $23. Praise be digital download competition.

Is there any GAF that play online? So far I've been playing skirmish and it seems pretty cool. I'm a complete newb though.

I thought I remember reading something about people that bought the CE off of THQs site, were gonna get some of these skins for free, is this true?

Edit: NM, I guess its just the Dark Angels, and the info was in an email I had.

Gvaz

Banned
Does anyone still play the first game or have it installed? I want to get the endgame achievements and beat the Super Elite tyranid but my characters are specc'd wrong and I always die at like 5% :(

K.Jack

Gvaz said:
Does anyone still play the first game or have it installed? I want to get the endgame achievements and beat the Super Elite tyranid but my characters are specc'd wrong and I always die at like 5% :(
Do you need a save file?

Fëanor

Resetting the stats kind of made me mad, been facing some rather nasty players I would normally not face with my skill level before the reset.

Oh well, that should be a lesson to not trust randoms in rank play.

So is this game totally dead on GAF? =/

I've been playing Last Stand a few times with randoms, its fun, but it'd be cool if GAF still plays.

Top Bottom