• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online, The Official Thread of Destruction vs Order

Haeleos

Jumping on for the first time in a week since I had finals. Can someone explain the new keep loot system to me? Can't find an explanation for what changed anywhere.

I'm sorry we couldn't maintain the GAF guild, guys. I wonder why GAF guilds fail when it seems like there's a massive community on GAF who plays every game. I suppose it could be this particular forum, because from what I can see the Online/Matchup is often ignored or perhaps unknown, like www.gaming-age.com.

Haeleos

The recruit a friend allows people to play on the same server as you. The trial puts everyone on one server. If you recruit people, you get rewards as well as free game time if the people who you recruited sign up and pay for a month of game time.

For the upcoming Land of the Dead, Mythic has been doing some viral stuff that people have decoded and the reward for doing so is a code: XEMANFOBEC. If you put that code into your account, you get a free item.

neoanarch

thanks for the code, I used it a few days ago.

What server are you playing on, I have a wh in Iron Rock i'm using as my main right now.

I'm dissapointed the class changes were cut and since they lowered the renown req for some of the armor I just wasted like 2 weeks in t3 grinding inf for the armor sets.

Haeleos

I'm on Iron Rock too. I'm Haeleos.

I think the class changes are still on the PTS I believe. I respect them for not rushing them out if they weren't ready.

Still playing?

I'm Order on Phoenix Throne. Unsure how much longer I'm going to be subscribing, but would like to try out Destro before I cancel. Any servers with an active DestroGaf presence?

DarkKyo

Hey, anyone know whats wrong? I'm trying to do a trial account. The account is made and the game is downloaded. When I am scrolling through servers and click any they say "Only the servers highlighted in white are usable for trial accounts".. So I click more, and there is one highlighted in white, but when I click it, it does nothing. I can't enter.

Has anyone come across this?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dechaios said:
Hey, anyone know whats wrong? I'm trying to do a trial account. The account is made and the game is downloaded. When I am scrolling through servers and click any they say "Only the servers highlighted in white are usable for trial accounts".. So I click more, and there is one highlighted in white, but when I click it, it does nothing. I can't enter.

Has anyone come across this?

Are you using Windows 7?

EDIT for more info:
i had problems getting the trial downloaded.. i found a suggestion to use change the url in the config file. After i did that, the game downloaded again, but i ran into the issue you did. The game cant find any servers.. it says choose a white server but even when you do nothing happens. i found a way around it.. and it wasnt changing the patch.cfg file.

The fix came from editing the patch_user xml file and putting the following in there:

<UserConfig>

<ResourceSystem>
<ModuleOption module="http" option="UseRandomNumberPostfix" value="true" />
</ResourceSystem>

</UserConfig>

If this fixes the problem let me know :) Also, im down for tearing things up in-game :D

Karg

I just re-downloaded this game again from D2D and extracted everything just fine. I had to reboot and cancelled out of the setup.exe once before doing so. PC comes back up and only setup.exe is gone and I cannot find it. Anyone have the one file by chance? I've already contacted support but curious if anyone might still have that one file for me.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im liking this game a lot.. definitely going to pick up the game and play past the 10 day trial. i made a few different characters but my Zealot is by far the most enjoyable for me to play. Healing classes in pvp tend to scratch me just the right way, i guess :lol i met up with this other trial newbie and we have been going through scenarios like mad together. With him tanking and me healing.. we had like a 10-15 game winning streak :D

Here as some videos i made towards the end

Warhammer Online - Gates of Ekrund PvP Zealot 1
Warhammer Online - Gates of Ekrund PvP Zealot 2
Warhammer Online - Nordenwatch PvP Zealot 1

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Number 2 said:
im liking this game a lot.. definitely going to pick up the game and play past the 10 day trial. i made a few different characters but my Zealot is by far the most enjoyable for me to play. Healing classes in pvp tend to scratch me just the right way, i guess :lol i met up with this other trial newbie and we have been going through scenarios like mad together. With him tanking and me healing.. we had like a 10-15 game winning streak :D

Here as some videos i made towards the end

Warhammer Online - Gates of Ekrund PvP Zealot 1
Warhammer Online - Gates of Ekrund PvP Zealot 2
Warhammer Online - Nordenwatch PvP Zealot 1

Tier 1 and Tier 2 are so much fun. It is really too bad how annoying scenarios got in Tier 3 and Tier 4.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Just got back into this. The game is really different. Took a turn for the better. Having loads of fun and I've yet to visit the land of the dead. Tried to do gunbad last night and managed to go down 3 or 4 levels. Good fun. I will play again tonight.

Tizlor

Neo Member
If you aren't playing an Ironbreaker, Witch Hunter, Engineer or Bright Wizard... You aren't playing this game right.

organburner

Neo Member
Could anyone help me with this? I'm looking to import a US copy as well as US Time cards for this game (The EU servers actually lag more for me than the US servers) but I'm kind of lost on this.
Can't find any good places. I've only known play-asia, but since they only have the asian copy that does not really help me at all.

Basically a import place in Europe, or a place that would ship from the US to Europe.

Anyone?

Concept17

So...going to try out the 10 day trial, and mess around with a couple classes. I haven't played since the open beta.

Any major changes?
Gaf guild?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, me and 6 of my buddies signed back up, going to go all teh way this time from teh begging. If anyone wants to start up with us or are currently playing and just wat someone to play with, we are on the newly merged open RvR server Dark Crag. Order side.

neoanarch

_tetsuo_ said:
Well, me and 6 of my buddies signed back up, going to go all teh way this time from teh begging. If anyone wants to start up with us or are currently playing and just wat someone to play with, we are on the newly merged open RvR server Dark Crag. Order side.

Im destro on Dark Crag. Whats your name?

Dark Crag DOK Neneldeth(female since alts are female right?)
Iron Rock-Witch Hunter Hernandez

the game has changed a lot since beta. There isn't a GAF Guild anymore.

Tideas

Banned
level 15 now. the higher you go, the more fun this game gets, especially the scenarios.

If anybody wants, you can add me online.

Haeleos

I quit right after Land of the Dead came out and borked ORVR. Going to wait a couple of patches and see if things go back to the main land and they fix the lag.

neoanarch

Haeleos said:
I quit right after Land of the Dead came out and borked ORVR. Going to wait a couple of patches and see if things go back to the main land and they fix the lag.

ORVR came back up almost right away plus the ORVR in LOTD was really great right after launch. I actually miss the zergs running around getting pulled into some of the PQs. For the last patch 1.31 they had a performance patch were framerates were really improved and I haven't really had lag unless it was a fort.

Land of the Dead seems to be largely ignored. When it launched everyone of course zerged the hell out of it but now I often go to it and it's barren, getting a group together for any of the PQ's there is a pain sometimes since many players have burned through them all and got all the purples.

As for the game being more fun as you get deeper in, yes thats true for most of the classes. Only a couple are really fun from the offset, many of the other classes are nearly identical at start with little difference till you get into tier 2 and start getting your unique abilities.

Massive patch coming soon just went up on the the PTS. Huge list of improvements and changes. One of the biggest game changers is that lot of the knockdown abilities have been removed as well as durations decreased on most CC abilities.

The forts have also been removed to promote more city sieges and less dicking around while players simply amass for a huge defense at the fort instead of actually defending a tier.

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/patchnotes/index.php?id=2009_1-3-2

Well it was already pretty useless since the population was so spread out. They are trying to keep things interesting by having all new players in same general area to get a good feel of how the game is supposed to be played. Without the numbers the game had in it's early months, the T1 areas were pretty barren and it was just a deterrent to new players.

Flight dudes will be available to take people to the other T1 zones I believe early on now and quests still remain that direct players to visit the other tier 1 zones.

neoanarch

Yeah they should have done this when they bumped the exp gains. You were never in t1 long enough to do all three rvr influence zones before you leveled out.

I can't wait to try the fort-less t4 tonight. But I really want to know what they'll do with the Forts now. They aren't being taken out, but repurposed for something else.

Dunlop

Radio Shack (circuit city) here in Canada liquidated their Warhammer client disks for $0.96.

They sold old pretty quickly but by some miracle I got Futureshop to PM for 6 disks. The idea being I would give them to 6 friends to mess around with for the free month and hopefully some would join. For me it would get the "special" mount and refferal items....

....a flaw in my plan is whoever installs the game client need to commit to at least a month (by credit card or game card).

That said, if anyone is interested in playing WAR (new major patch just came out), PM me your e-mail address and I will send a game refferal you (this gives you a 10 day trial). I can only send one refferal a day.

If you decide you want to play, I'll give you the activation key which will give you a free month and you will need to give them your CC card or pick up a game card to create your mythic account.

Worst case, I'm out 6 bucks ; )

neoanarch

You won't be charged but you do need a credit card to get the subscription. You still get your free month. But you only get the rewards when they pay for a month after the first month(IIRC).

If I had a better laptop I would buy a second account so me and my bro could play me as a pocket healer or something.

Haeleos

Hey I signed back up to Warhammer to check out the new patch. I am a R38 Runepriest, looking for a guild (since it seems my old one disbanded a couple months ago). Let me know!

nataku

I decided to use that 10 free day thing for returning players to check out the new patch, since it was supposed to have a pretty big performance increase.

While the max FPS is higher, I still get massive hitching/stuttering in medium sized battles (about 100vs100), which makes it a challenge to play.

On the bright side the nasty .5 second lag in activating skills seems to be gone, no matter how bad the stuttering gets.

I'm not sure if I'll subscribe again or not. My main reason for canceling was the performance, and while it's better and at least playable, the population on Iron Rock now seems to be a fraction of what it was. I mostly play in the morning, and Friday when I tried there was no one on. Before there would at least be a couple warbands roaming the lakes capping keeps and BOs.

neoanarch

nataku said:
I decided to use that 10 free day thing for returning players to check out the new patch, since it was supposed to have a pretty big performance increase.

While the max FPS is higher, I still get massive hitching/stuttering in medium sized battles (about 100vs100), which makes it a challenge to play.

On the bright side the nasty .5 second lag in activating skills seems to be gone, no matter how bad the stuttering gets.

I'm not sure if I'll subscribe again or not. My main reason for canceling was the performance, and while it's better and at least playable, the population on Iron Rock now seems to be a fraction of what it was. I mostly play in the morning, and Friday when I tried there was no one on. Before there would at least be a couple warbands roaming the lakes capping keeps and BOs.

Volkmar and Badlans seem to have a Oceanic population so you may find more people in the morning then. Plus the live event starts on the 23rd so you should find a lot of people on then in the morning. At least during the last live the population was really high.

Dunlop

neoanarch said:
You won't be charged but you do need a credit card to get the subscription. You still get your free month. But you only get the rewards when they pay for a month after the first month(IIRC).

If I had a better laptop I would buy a second account so me and my bro could play me as a pocket healer or something.

thx for the info, worst case I'll give the game away to buddies who will probably cancel as of the first month and get the 6 months free (I really just wanted the mount).

Kind of a waste as I had already picked up 2 60 day cards (they were being sold for $15 each). I don't see myself staying playing 9 months from now ; )

Dunlop

nataku said:

The game is on a downturn but there is still plenty of RVR going on (at nighttime anyways). Order pretty much went in hiding right after the patch as it was so lopsided in destro's favor. I imagine there will be another server merge.

Last night things seemed back to normal and this patch has actually encouraged RvR as the alternative is to be defending Altdorf all day long).

Was actually messing around in T1 as there seems to be a influx of people, the shadow warrior I created seems to be the first class I have played that does not seem powerful at lower levels....

T4 is always hopping, T3 is the area that is barren. Lot of players don't get past the T2 hump or quit with how slow T3 takes. While all the higher level players are in T4. T3 is common quitting point as it's so boring and big for the population.

The new patch improved performance dramatically it seems, everything is much smoother. Cancelled my sub though, just not enough time to devote to the game but like the improvements made.

The game really needs more content though at this point to probably bring me back, doing nightly pvp while fun got stale.

I bought Dragon Age and it comes with a code for this game that unlocks two items. An Adventurer's Handbook and a Skaven Skin Cloak. I have no interest in MMO's so if anyone wants the code pm me and I'll give it to you.

glaurung

I recently cancelled my subscription after the server that I was playing on the most became a virtual wasteland with not a single living soul in the immediate vicinity.

But now it seems that I can transfer my rank 32 engineer - my favorite - to Karak-Azgal.

Anyone playing on the EU servers - what's the player population like on Azgal and would it make sense to transfer there. My engineer is currently on Karak Eight Peaks.

Effect

Have they improved the PvE at all? Tier 1 and Tier 2 (got to the point where I simply ran out of quest while playing the Empire line in Tier 2 last I played)

I know the game is mainly focused on RvR and I'm fine with that. It was fun when I played it not boring at times as it was mainly about zerging. Yet they really dropped the ball on the PvE compared to how both aspects got decent if not equal treatment in Dark Age of Camelot. Would like to try again over December (taking a break from WoW until maybe Feb or March or indefinitely) but only if there have been improvements in the PvE area.

Thanks.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Tizlor said:
If you aren't playing an Ironbreaker, Witch Hunter, Engineer or Bright Wizard... You aren't playing this game right.

Uh? Witch hunter got buffed? Was almost considered a useless class in the first months.

Effect said:
Have they improved the PvE at all? Tier 1 and Tier 2 (got to the point where I simply ran out of quest while playing the Empire line in Tier 2 last I played)

I know the game is mainly focused on RvR and I'm fine with that. It was fun when I played it not boring at times as it was mainly about zerging. Yet they really dropped the ball on the PvE compared to how both aspects got decent if not equal treatment in Dark Age of Camelot. Would like to try again over December (taking a break from WoW until maybe Feb or March or indefinitely) but only if there have been improvements in the PvE area.

Thanks.

They pretty much put all emphasis on RvR material with their patches. They haven't really done much with it comes to pve material. The game has several large raid type areas and dungeons, and if you go between different racial zones there is lot of quests really, but overall the game really just kinda made boring pve after the first couple tiers. The most unique quests and public quests were in the first tiers, after that it was mostly repetitive tasks which didn't have much flavor to them.

I loved the RVR and still some of my favorite MMO pvp moments have been WHO, but I got to lvl 40 and eventually quit since I just got bored of it. I still enjoyed doing the pvp but the game was basically nothing more than nonstop giant battles once you reach end game.

The game seriously needed:

1.) an Economy. Money in general was not really worth much in the game or needed. Player built stuff was nothing special and loot wasn't all that amazing.

2.) Crafting system. Crafting in MMOs is basically giving players something else to do, players go to work, make stuff, and make money. But with the shitty economy of the game and the crappy crafting, lot of people completely ignored crafting. Most players just do gathering professions to sell off junk to make a little extra coin, but crafting itself was not worth the trouble or cost.

3.) PVE - Game was made for pvp, but still a game based solely on pure pvp is going to be very limited. The game was never going to be a huge hit being a pvp focused game, but it still needed pve content to keep people coming. Since launch the game has added almost no new PVE content and it's mainly been all rvr additions or changes. Even the tomb kings update was largely pvp in nature and you basically were forced to be in groups to enjoy the content.

Tremis

This man does his research.
i'm gonna give this unlimited free trial a go. its for all of tier 1 apparently. played last in beta.

Dunlop

BattleMonkey said:
1.) an Economy. Money in general was not really worth much in the game or needed. Player built stuff was nothing special and loot wasn't all that amazing.

2.) Crafting system. Crafting in MMOs is basically giving players something else to do, players go to work, make stuff, and make money. But with the shitty economy of the game and the crappy crafting, lot of people completely ignored crafting. Most players just do gathering professions to sell off junk to make a little extra coin, but crafting itself was not worth the trouble or cost.

3.) PVE - Game was made for pvp, but still a game based solely on pure pvp is going to be very limited. The game was never going to be a huge hit being a pvp focused game, but it still needed pve content to keep people coming. Since launch the game has added almost no new PVE content and it's mainly been all rvr additions or changes. Even the tomb kings update was largely pvp in nature and you basically were forced to be in groups to enjoy the content.

agreed but I think the ship has sailed, I spent more time sitting around waiting for freaking timers to expire than playing the game.

My IB and WP are both fully geared in Dark Promise, but the PVE is severely lacking. Instead of adding new content, they throw out a patch that secretly changes the way you have to kill an existing boss.

By Boss 7 on in Tomb of the Vulture Lord, our regular group just disbanded. It was stupid buggy and just trying to coordinate when you can actually run (for those who are not aware, you can only enter when your side controls the zone making scheduling the "raid" almost impossible)

Now to see if there is a market for someone who wants to purchase my toons....

:p

(I might go back on day)

Hi guys. So I just read the last few comments. I am trying to find a new MMO that isn't World of Warcraft. However I am getting a lot of negative vibes. Should I not try out this MMO?

Dunlop

The_Inquisitor said:
Hi guys. So I just read the last few comments. I am trying to find a new MMO that isn't World of Warcraft. However I am getting a lot of negative vibes. Should I not try out this MMO?

Can't hurt, they really fixed up the starting zones of the game and there should be a lot of people.

The best scenerios for me are still in Tier 1 (lvls 1 - 11). My above comments are for the end game which changes with every patch, T1 and T2 will fly by, T3 and T4 not so much depending on your class.

WAR is not a horrible game by any stretch

Top Bottom