• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online, The Official Thread of Destruction vs Order

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I can run Crysis at over 30fps on Very High 2xAA 16xAF and all the jazz. Why does this game sometimes gives me 20fps during massive PvP clashes? I love these all out wars, but it is really frustrating. Is this really the most demanding game out there? I mean, it looks beautiful, and there are over 70 or so characters on screen, but if I am getting 20fps, is the game a slideshow for other people during these battles?

Twig

Banned
whiterabbit said:
Be thankful you're not super majorly addicted. Aren't MMOs supposed to be like crack cocaine or something? Sheesh! hate how they get such a bad rap, probably keeps people from considering trying them in the first place.
I haven't been super majorly addicted to an MMO since WoW in high school. D:

But I still like them. (For the most part.)

Warhammer had such promise, but it didn't really deliver past the initial launch hype. For a game that focuses so much on PvP, I felt incredibly restricted in everything I did. But, then again, I'd been playing Age of Conan (buggy piece of shit that it was) and having a ton more fun in the free-for-all extravaganza before the instability drove all my friends off.

LE SIGH.

The biggest problem is that WoW is just so much more polished and all these games are trying to "beat WoW."

Shame.

wow at some of those changes. I think they are making a mistake by removing the disorient affect from insta-casts. As a maurader, when will i use disorient now? Against the range dps who is running from me (thus not using cast times) or the melee (who dont have many cast time moves)? Runepriests are more than capable relying on instant heals as well.

I agree, if they don't affect instants there's no point of disorients. They did need to fix the stacking, though, at least from the perspective of a swordmaster I used to get pulled in by marauders while manning the front lines, disoriented so much that there wasn't any abilities I could use to fight back.

btw I know Rpgs must take skill cuz my neighbor says he's bad at them :)

They announced the classes and several live events and expansion on the official website. Biggest thing besides the classes is a new Dungeon. No patch notes yet though, so who knows if they were even real. Might as well wait for the official announcement next time.

Call to Arms Live Expansion Schedule

* 'Call to Arms: Bitter Rivals' Live Event (March): Successful completion allows head start access to the new Orc Choppa and Dwarf Slayer careers. The event will also include the new Chaos-themed RvR Scenario, Twisting Tower.
* Two New Careers Join WAR (March): The Orc Choppa and Dwarf Slayer answer the Call to Arms.
* 'Call to Arms: Beyond the Sands' Live Event (April): Details to be revealed soon!
* 'Call to Arms: Rise of the Tomb Kings' Live Event (May): The race between Order and Destruction players begins to unlock the Land of the Dead for their Realm.
* 'Land of the Dead' Opens (June): The deserts of Nehekhara open to players with the addition of a new RvR-gated dungeon zone. To gain access to the Land of the Dead, opposing Realms must battle for control of the zone to access dozens of new Public Quests, instanced lairs, and a massive new Tomb Kings dungeon to plunder in search of the Casket of Souls.

nataku

So new classes in March, new RvR dungeon in June, with a couple misc. live events in between each? I like knowing that the RvR dungeon is coming up, but June is still pretty far off. Even March for the new classes is still over a month away.

I was hoping for patch notes today, and a patch in early Feburary. It's been a while since the last big one, so I was really looking forward to what they came up with. They need something more immediate... I think most players are more interested in bug fixes/balance changes than the two new classes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I hate how they spend all this time designing a new scenario for a live event, but take it out after it's over. It seems like such a huge waste of time.

im having a hard time figuring out how slayers/choppas will be that different from mauraders. They are both duel weilding melee classes with medium armor, yes?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I really wish they would do something to encourage the community to participate in more PvE. I hate the fact that everyone only wants to do RvR. It gets old!

Suburban Cowboy said:
im having a hard time figuring out how slayers/choppas will be that different from mauraders. They are both duel weilding melee classes with medium armor, yes?

well, they definitely occupy a similar role on the battlefield. however, the defining mechanics are what makes them unique. That's like saying, whats the difference between the different types of tanks that can either use 2h or a 1h/shield. from what i can tell these classes can use 2handers as well and they have a rage that is kind of like a BWs combustion where they hurt themselves, except with these classes they just make themselves more vulnerable as they attack. That's what I gather from the website in my own words.

@Otake: As for the pve, the new dungeon should help! Find a good guild and I bet you'll be able to find some groups for the endgame dungeons. I'd raided many times and I almost have the full Sentinel set (just need chest).

Nataku: 1.2 is bound to be announced soon, I would imagine it will be implemented sometime between now and the Slayer/Choppa events. Youre right about the events. There's also another event starting in about a week that looks awesome. It's like people randomly get bounties placed on them, so watch out!! I also checked on your character on the Warhammer database and saw you got 40 (since I can't be in the game what else can I do?) so grats!

I wish I could play! I'll probably, hopefully be back in March.

Sins*

Neo Member
Hey just got the game, and i love it, if there are any gafferss on the Gorfang server as destruct, come look me up 'DrTeeth - level 9 Black Orc:D

Sins* said:
Hey just got the game, and i love it, if there are any gafferss on the Gorfang server as destruct, come look me up 'DrTeeth - level 9 Black Orc:D
reroll now before its too late!

you should have named yourself "DrTeef" in true greenskin fashion

godhandiscen

Please, is there a way to force AA using an Nvidia card? I just got the 295 and the game looks like shit without AA.

I have tried the control panel, and any application profile I for WAR make ceases to exist after I close the app. Also, isnt the Nvidia control panel icon supposed to dock to the bottom right corner of my screen?

nataku

You'd have to force it in the global settings if your profile isn't saving, which would force it for every game of course.

godhandiscen

nataku said:
You'd have to force it in the global settings if your profile isn't saving, which would force it for every game of course.
I solved my problems. Thank you guys.

CAW

I played for a month but didn't re-subscribe because WotLK was just released when my first month ended and my entire guild left WAR for the expansion so I followed suit.

I was going to re-sub this weekend but I was reading through the Warhammer Alliance forums and reading a lot about people being in mostly T4, kind of "waiting around" for Mythic to add more content. I guess that means less people in the T1, T2 and T3 scenarios, especially during the afternoons, which is when I play the most as I work nights. So I decided to hold off for now to avoid the frustration of not being able to rank up in RvR due to a lack of scenarios being queued.

Perhaps once the Slayer and Choppa become available things might pick up a bit.

dork

Banned
Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning®, an MMO from EA’s Mythic Entertainment studio, ended the quarter with over 300K paying subscribers in North America and Europe

maybe now they will cut a server or 2, give azazel some more destruction

Won

dork said:
Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning®, an MMO from EA’s Mythic Entertainment studio, ended the quarter with over 300K paying subscribers in North America and Europe

Ouch, that is a pretty big drop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
300k paying subscriptions is very healthy for an MMORPG, but I remember reading a press release back around November or so that said the game had sold 700k copies. Am I remembering that correctly? I'm sure it continued to sell after that which means they were probably only able to retain around 1/3 of the people who initially purchased the game? I'm sure Wrath of the Lich King's release hurt their subscriptions in a big way, but is this kind of drop pretty normal in the first few months of an MMORPG?

Won

Zefah said:
300k paying subscriptions is very healthy for an MMORPG, but I remember reading a press release back around November or so that said the game had sold 700k copies. Am I remembering that correctly? I'm sure it continued to sell after that which means they were probably only able to retain around 1/3 of the people who initially purchased the game? I'm sure Wrath of the Lich King's release hurt their subscriptions in a big way, but is this kind of drop pretty normal in the first few months of an MMORPG?

Most western MMOs in the last few years had a drop after the first months. But is a drop of that size normal? Who knows. Age of Conan put out similar numbers at release and then everybody laughed at Funcom after the 50% drop in subs came out and they already started merging servers. So WAR is not alone with that, but no, it shouldn't happen, not to this extent.

Will be interesting to see where this is going. 300k is far from being dead, but Mythic wanted 500k+ as far as I remember.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think a drop that large is healthy or good. I don't think EA or Mythic would consider this game a success, at all. Keep in mind we don't know what has happened with subscribers between 12/31 and today. I highly doubt it added tons of people.

Now, I don't expect a game to keep 100% of subscribers but right now I'd call this game a failure of AoC proportions. The huge drop off in AoC and WAR's sub numbers tells me there is a huge number of people who want a good MMORPG that isn't WoW... but these developers seem to be emphasizing the "isn't Wow" part over the "good" one.

nataku

diffusionx said:
I don't think a drop that large is healthy or good. I don't think EA or Mythic would consider this game a success, at all. Keep in mind we don't know what has happened with subscribers between 12/31 and today. I highly doubt it added tons of people.

Now, I don't expect a game to keep 100% of subscribers but right now I'd call this game a failure of AoC proportions. The huge drop off in AoC and WAR's sub numbers tells me there is a huge number of people who want a good MMORPG that isn't WoW... but these developers seem to be emphasizing the "isn't Wow" part over the "good" one.

I don't agree with it being as big of a failure as AOC. 300k subscribers used to be pretty good for an MMO until WOW came along. AOC was incomplete in every single area, WAR at least works great up until T4 fortress sieges. They really need some drastic changes to the way T4 works.

The new RvR dungeon should help spice things up a ton, but it's still 5 months out. And that dungeon still won't fix what is broken in T4 - fortress sieges and city sieges. They haven't said anything that I know of that suggests they're looking at chaning the design of the lord room in the next 5 months.

I know 1.2 patch notes should be coming out in a couple weeks, but I don't really expect anything major in it. They haven't hinted to the content in it at all as far as I know besides the zone domination system. Making zones easier to cap is great and all, but it still doesn't fix the issues with the fortress lord rooms. They need to do something for T4 to make the game fun now and not hope that people stick around for 5 months waiting for the RvR dungeon to possibly bring some fun back to T4.

Oh, and they need to get rid of the damn lockout timers for dungeons.

If Mythic can surprise people with patch 1.2 and just keep it up until the RvR dungeon hits, I think they'll start gaining back some of the people who left.... slowly. That is if bad word of mouth doesn't kill it off first.

Twig

Banned
nataku said:
I don't agree with it being as big of a failure as AOC. 300k subscribers used to be pretty good for an MMO until WOW came along. AOC was incomplete in every single area, WAR at least works great up until T4 fortress sieges.
Did they ever fix the people-play-the-same-goddamn-shitty-scenario-over-and-over problem?

'Cause if they didn't, WAR at least feels just as incomplete.

Overall, WAR was definitely more polished, though.

I started playing WoW about three weeks ago, but stopped after arriving at two realizations:

1) It was stealing my soul. I never really got into WoW when it launched. Now, after a second go, I realize it's because I never bothered to group up, or even level past 20. There was a moment when I thought, "Hey, I'm level 30. There's 50 more levels of time left. Then I'll start a Death Knight, and follow with another 25 levels." At face value, that wasn't intimidating as much as an acknowledgment that I _would_ spend an ungodly amount of time in game.

2) Ever since UO, I think I've been looking for a game that replicates its territorial economy. Shadowbane was tremendous fun while I played it (for those who haven't, you literally build towns and the castles to protect them), but I left it for the same reason I left UO--some internal sense that the next MMO would be even better.

So, a few days ago I gave Warhammer a shot. After reading this thread and others, I knew that there are some big flaws with the game, but there remained a few bright points that I wanted to explore.

Last night, at level 9, I was running around with some other orcs trying to take some territories back and, in between, running through some public quests. The first thing that struck me was how many things are available to you at any moment. I've run the standard quests, played a few scenarios, some PQs, and fought and died over contested areas. In doing so, I nearly forgot that my character even had a level. The fact that you're immediately able to participate in these things is refreshing after having spent so much time in other games grinding and questing, and hoping to reach that content at some point. The tier system allows for multiple end games as you level from 1-40, which is a tremendously good idea. (Another side-note: Shadowbane had a rank system of level/10 that determined who was best suited for fighting whom, so the tiers aren't exactly groundbreaking to me.)

There was a post a page or two back regarding the number of servers available being too many, spreading the players out. That made a lot of sense when I read it, and it makes even more sense now. I picked the biggest Open RvR server I could find (Dark Crag) and I think it's probably the most accurate in terms of what experience the developers intended. I haven't had any problems finding PQs at all--they're packed. And there always seems to be a warband or two roaming around. To play the game on a server with a low population would be tremendously disappointing because there wouldn't be the sense of connection with fellow players. I wouldn't even want to play a Core server. In fact, I think Core servers might break the game as I've enjoyed it.

I think I'll probably be taking this game slowly. My hope is that, by the time I get to Tier 4, Mythic manages to address some of the concerns.

Cheeto

dollartaco said:
Last night, at level 9, I was running around with some other orcs trying to take some territories back and, in between, running through some public quests. The first thing that struck me was how many things are available to you at any moment. I've run the standard quests, played a few scenarios, some PQs, and fought and died over contested areas. In doing so, I nearly forgot that my character even had a level. The fact that you're immediately able to participate in these things is refreshing after having spent so much time in other games grinding and questing, and hoping to reach that content at some point. The tier system allows for multiple end games as you level from 1-40, which is a tremendously good idea. (Another side-note: Shadowbane had a rank system of level/10 that determined who was best suited for fighting whom, so the tiers aren't exactly groundbreaking to me.)
Yes! This. I cannot stand most other MMOs because of the opposite. It's always a mindless grind for hours and hours on end until you actually experience something cool. Honestly, how much time do you have to put into WoW before you can start doing the big raids that everyone seems to love? 3, 4, 5 hundred hours? That's a massive hurdle to overcome just to get into the meat of a game...a hurdle that wouldn't exist, imo, if there wasn't a monthly fee attached to playing said game.

godhandiscen

eznark

Banned
I was thinking of coming back to this this weekend, anyone still playing much? I'm at 20, is it pretty barren at the low levels?

eznark said:
I was thinking of coming back to this this weekend, anyone still playing much? I'm at 20, is it pretty barren at the low levels?
only places that may seem baren are the pve pq's. RvR will be lively for the most part assuming you are on a good server

wipeout364

I started to play a couple of weeks ago. I have a level 14 archmage on Ostermark. So far the game has been really great in that the quests are spaced close together so you always have something to do. The world is pretty nice and the game runs pretty well.

I think the thing that is getting me down is how empty the world is. Everywhere is a ghost town. Today I searched shadowlands for other players and there were two, the most people I have ever seen in an area is 6. I like to have a mix of soloing and grouping but there is no one around.

As far as the scenarios go I have not had problems getting into them, usually there is a few minutes wait but the game lets you continue playing so no big deal.

I feel bad for mythic making this huge world with nobody in it, or maybe I just picked a crappy server.

I am thinking about switching to lord of the rings as I heard grouping is easier and I really am not huge into PVP I prefer PVE (with groups). I'll stick with warhammer for a few more weeks though see if things pick up. Just some thoughts

Edit: These companies should list server numbers (people playing on average) in the character create section so you can pick a good server.

Everdred

I will be coming back within the next few weeks. I'm a level 20 on the NeoGaf PvE server. This is the first MMO that I've truely enjoyed (I've tried 8-10 MMOs) and I really hope it holds up and grows over the next few months.

dork

Banned
I wish mythic people read this thread, so i could tell them to lick a dog turd

They are terrible to their customers, they refuse to acknowledge the fact that azazel server is the most imbalanced and waste of time ever.

wipeout364

dork said:
I wish mythic people read this thread, so i could tell them to lick a dog turd

They are terrible to their customers, they refuse to acknowledge the fact that azazel server is the most imbalanced and waste of time ever.

How would they fix the imbalance though? force people to only take one side on that server? just wondering.

I wasn't done playing when my computer crashed, however I might not return.

And like somebody said, it's just so repetitive and there's so much other stuff to play. Good game though..

I watched the videos on the Slayer/Choppa. Choppa looks cool, but so many channeled attacks. Might as well play a real action game.

Anyway, I was wondering, how is the event scenario?

nataku

Here is 1.2

Lots of nice changes to pretty much everthing. RvR, dungeons, PQs, Fortress loot, crafting changes, improved UI, new LFG system. Plus the new careers.

Asterisk: The new scenario isn't in the game yet, but it'll be on the PTS. I doubt I'll be able to get a queue for it to pop on there. I thought the PTS was supposed to go up tomorrow, but I guess it won't be up until next week.

I just recently returned to WAR and thought I'd post some things that have happened very recently that might entice more people to give it a go.

Yesterday, they began the series of events that will lead up to the unlocking of the final (announced) classes that are being added to the game: Dwarf Slayers and Orc Choppas. They released an awesome new scenario (Twisting Tower) in which you can perform quests to unlock the classes for your account a week before everyone else gets to, with two new quests unlocking each day. TT (or T_T as some are calling it if your team heads right instead of left) is a gorgeous looking scen that is huge, holds a full warband of people on each side, and is absolutely glorious to look at and is a real feast for the ears if you happen to enjoy the sound of your video card's fan firing up at breakneck speed.

I hear what you're saying. "WTF, lawl why am I gonna play a game without a trial what if I don't like it roflwaffles". There is now in place a FREE trial (cough, for fileplanet subscribers, don't know if that's free or not) and I would highly suggest those of you who got incredibly bored with the Lich King's thrilling quest-grinding and Dalaran-sitting to give it a go. Hell, everyone should give it a go, it won't hurt anything.

The events are going to continue until June, which is when a new raid-dungeon zone will be made available for play in the land of the Tomb Kings, something Warhammer lore fiends should find particularly compelling.

A huge number of balance and interface changes have occurred as well, a surprising number of them absolutely awesome and shockingly quick for a game which only came out in October. You can now sign up for Scenarios from other pairings from wherever you are, and experience gains have been increased significantly for killing players in RvR, making it even easier to never, ever do PvE if you don't feel like it. There are now extra easy PQ's you can solo (for lesser rewards) and harder pq's more like raids with awesome drops. Also, you can mouse over any PQ in the zone and see how many people are doing it, and even join their party and head over.

As we all know, WAR exploded out of the gate and then experienced a shit ton of recession in the player base (myself included) which might leave those of you who have old characters worried about whether or not there's any incentive to return. There is. Now, on the accounts page over at eamythic, you can perform one FREE character xfer from any server to any server per day. For free. Your favorite toon could be easily rescued from his abandoned low-pop nightmare and sent to one of the several servers that are frequently at high and sometimes full population. Definitely, imo, a good time to get back into the game or try it out for the first time.

chapel

Banned
Im considering resubing. I got new parts of my pc and hopefully Ill be able to enjoy the game and not play a slideshow.

I got a 4870 1GB and 4gb of ram, with my cpu at 2.6ghz how do you think it will perform?

What server is everyone on, I might transfer one of my guys or something. Let me know.

edit: Resubbed and am downloading the patches. Want to see if its any better, and plays better.

nataku

Honestly? It's gonna be hit or miss still. With 1.2 my performance, which has always been pretty good, took a nose dive. I'm getting single digital FPS now in even small keep sieges, when before I could easily maintain around 25fps.

Other people have reported getting big performance improvements when before it was always horrible.

Just picked up a copy of the game from Circuit City. Game and strat guide, for $13.50. Could do worse.

I'm not sure if I should activate my pre-launch account or use the trial for an extra ten days. Assuming my pre-launcher is even activate-able anymore. What did those come with? Some sort of health potion and a ring...

Anyways, recommendations on server to pick? I know absolutely no one playing this game, so I'm just after a non-deserted island.

nataku

If you're going Order, Iron Rock (Core) needs a ton of help. Destruction outnumber us on there and kicks our ass pretty bad sometimes.

I think Dark Crag (Open RvR) is supposed to be a really populated server, too. Phoenix Throne and Praag seem like they're popular too, but I have no idea what the population balance is like on them. Looking at the server list those I mentioned are Med (Order) / Med (Destruction) population. Iron Rock is Med / High population.

You could always browse the official forums too in order to get an idea on what servers are most popular.

Also not being able to patch up without an active account is lame. I'm probably going to fucking fall asleep before it finishes. Minus one day!

And I think I decided on Phoenix Throne. It seems like a decent server, and the entire fucking point of Warhammer is to roleplay an obnoxious git.

nataku

Son of Godzilla said:
So I still don't understand what's the difference between ORvR and non. In normal you simply can't attack other people unless its in the RvR zones?

Yeah, pretty much. Open RvR vs Core server is basically the same as PvP (Open RvR) and PvE (Core) server in any other MMO.

The only difference is the chicken thing... on an Open RvR server if you attack someone in a PvE area in a lower tier than you belong you get turned into a chicken. On both server types if you enter the RvR lake area in a tier lower than you belong you get turned into a chicken.

Top Bottom