• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online, The Official Thread of Destruction vs Order

bengraven

Well 2 days down in my 10 day free trial and it's still downloading the last patch. It's taken me 2 days to download a 3gig patch.

I understand that since it's gone up there are likely a ton of people leeching bandwidth, but good lord, 2 days? I should write their customer service and ask for that time back.

Oh, at 56%, by the way.

bengraven said:
Well 2 days down in my 10 day free trial and it's still downloading the last patch. It's taken me 2 days to download a 3gig patch.

I understand that since it's gone up there are likely a ton of people leeching bandwidth, but good lord, 2 days? I should write their customer service and ask for that time back.

Oh, at 56%, by the way.

Thats why you install/patch up and THEN sign up for the free trial.

The installer/patches are easily found on various sites.

Tideas

Banned
FYI. Just got this in my press email.

Mythic Entertainment today announced that it is expanding the Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR) Recruit-A-Friend program in North America and Asia Pacific to now provide exciting in-game rewards for dedicated recruiters on both sides of the ongoing Realm War. The new item rewards bolster the 30 days of free play time already rewarded to players every time they bring a friend and family member into the Realm vs. Realm fray.

Anyone who recruits two new subscribers will receive an exclusive pet – the Imperial Hunting Hound for Order players, or the Warlord’s Fell Hound for Destruction players. Those who recruit four new subscribers will be granted a powerful new in-game item, either the Rod of Service or the Collar of Servitude, which increases experience and renown earned by 5% for all group members. In addition, these pocket items allow a player to temporarily raise a fellow realm-mate’s level to give them a fighting chance against more powerful foes.

· 1st recruit = 30 days free game play
· 2nd recruit = Exclusive in-game pet, plus another 30 days free
· 3rd recruit = Another 30 days free
· 4th recruit = Exclusive in-game item, plus another 30 days free
· All additional recruits = 30 days free for each new recruit

Now is the time to heed the Call to Arms and recruit friends and family to fight at the frontlines of WAR with a free 10-day trial! For more information about the WAR Recruit-A-Friend program and rewards, visit: www.warhammeronline.com/recruit.

I wonder do they count the recruit as someone who stayed for at least a month, or someone who buys the game.

chapel

Banned
Tideas said:
I wonder do they count the recruit as someone who stayed for at least a month, or someone who buys the game.
Yeah I saw that on my account page. They said its when they become a paying customer, however that happens.

You can also recruit existing members that have been gone for over 60 days. I should have talked to one of you guys and went through the recruit plan.

As far as playing the game, it performs so much better. My new video card and ram make the game very playable in most every circumstance. Probably the only time it got bad was when I upped AA to 8x and AF to 16x and played a PQ with a bunch of BW spamming AOEs. I'm going to test where I can have AA/AF to give the best picture quality vs performance. If I have to I might disable some other peoples effects to see if that helps.

bengraven

Despite my feelings on the graphics, I really dig the character creation process.

This might end up being something I play when I'm not playing WOW.

Tideas

Banned
once I upgrade my PC, I will be joining this game, so anyone who want a 30 free day can give me a ringer when I'm about to.

I already got the game and liek, 3 60-day passes, which is half a year of play time, and I bought it all for like $5 on Amazon back during Christmas, haha.

tried it out in Beta, I liked it.

So, i just signed up for the trial, downloaded the patcher and it says my username and password are wrong? The same user and pass work on the war site, wtf?

Tideas

Banned
hidepsyence said:
So, i just signed up for the trial, downloaded the patcher and it says my username and password are wrong? The same user and pass work on the war site, wtf?

try bringing your question over to warhammer alliance. you might have to wait a couple of minutes for the name to spread throughout the system

hidepsyence said:
Sign in to the war site and click the change password button next to your account.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've put a month on my sub, as I want to try the Choppa, the very class I wanted to play in the beginning.

Lucky When I played yesterday I only took me 2 hours to do the Live event so I managed to Unlock Slayer & Choppa.

Anyways back ta choppin..

Everdred

I got the email about playing free for 10 days so I'm coming back. I have a lvl 20. Apparently the GAF server was removed? It moved me to a different server when they shut a bunch down. I have a free trasfer though. Where is everyone playing now?

Everdred

hidepsyence said:
I'm having this issue right now too, how did you resolve your problem?

EDIT: I just reinstalled the disk version and it worked.

Thinking about starting a friend trial with someone who used to play (and nab them a free month I suppose).

I played the hell out of WoW for over 3 years, from the early early days of Molten Core through BT. Wrath held my interest for about 3 weeks before I finally had enough of the same old fare with a new paint job. I'm not particularly wild about PvP in MMOs, but it can be fun in the right situations (i.e. open world scenarios, Battlegrounds and Arenas are as boring as they come). I'm interested in Witch Hunter, Witch Elf, or Shaman depending on what side we start on.

Is this really worth the time to even try or should I just stick with console RPGs and leave MMOs behind me?

I thought Choppa and Slayer went live today! ...well where are they !! sure its early, but i want to try them out ! i hope they are at least kinda like Mercenary/Berserker/Blademaster ...but i doubt they will be.

Played a Choppa to Rank 6 before playing around with RvR a bit. This really is quite enjoyable (more so than WoW by a good margin). I'm still not sure what I'll do when I hit the trial cap though, I don't want to pay for a game that's going to have the same nothing to do feeling after a few weeks at max level.

Twig

Banned
Freyjadour said:
I'm still not sure what I'll do when I hit the trial cap though, I don't want to pay for a game that's going to have the same nothing to do feeling after a few weeks at max level.
I had that feeling before reaching max level.

It was all the same after about rank 20 or so.

Maybe that's changed. I don't want to drive you off the game if you enjoy it, but that was my experience. I keep reading this thread hoping things will change somehow, but it doesn't seem like much has. ):

TheOneGuy said:
I had that feeling before reaching max level.

It was all the same after about rank 20 or so.

Maybe that's changed. I don't want to drive you off the game if you enjoy it, but that was my experience. I keep reading this thread hoping things will change somehow, but it doesn't seem like much has. ):

Hm, do you know how long Mythic holds onto your characters? Or rather, if they hold onto trial account characters at all? I know the norm is forever with perks for returning now, but wasn't sure.

Twig

Banned
Freyjadour said:
Hm, do you know how long Mythic holds onto your characters? Or rather, if they hold onto trial account characters at all? I know the norm is forever with perks for returning now, but wasn't sure.
I assume they're like most MMOs and will hold onto your characters indefinitely.

chapel

Banned
Who is still playing?

I am enjoying it much more and have a lvl 18 character on Vortex. A friend might start playing sometime, depends on if his system can handle large rvr or not. I haven't tried one of the new mdps classes yet, but I plan to soon.

Haeleos

I just picked this up today. The recent price drop to $30 and all the content they've added is reparation enough for screwing up the delivery of my CE on launch. My Runepriest is level 10 from the beta period still too. Slayer looks fucking awesome though, and I hear Ironbreakers get hammers now.

My Radeon X800 can barely handle the game but man I'm having so much fun again. My brother also sent me the code for the bear helmet from RA3, so I have a badass dwarf Russian general look going on.

Ryusei

Neo Member
chapel said:
Who is still playing?

I am enjoying it much more and have a lvl 18 character on Vortex. A friend might start playing sometime, depends on if his system can handle large rvr or not. I haven't tried one of the new mdps classes yet, but I plan to soon.

I just renewed yesterday, since my server was a low pop place I moved to vortex. Which character do you have, I have a 15 WP! :D Its still a really fun game, I just got bogged down by a large workload in real life. (TMI)

Haeleos

Anyone here still on Iron Rock? I'm looking for a guild now.

(I was still a member of Guild of the Forever when I logged in...heh)

chapel

Banned
Ryusei said:
I just renewed yesterday, since my server was a low pop place I moved to vortex. Which character do you have, I have a 15 WP! :D Its still a really fun game, I just got bogged down by a large workload in real life. (TMI)
I have a lvl 28 Kotbs that Im enjoying. Joined a pretty good guild and having a lot of fun playing. If you're interested in joining a guild, check out http://www.myrmidonteam.com and post and application and its okay to use me as a referral if you want.

Haeleos

So does everyone have this Sentinel/Conqueror armor at the end of the game? It seems everyone in town was wearing it when I went to Altdorf. If everyone is wearing the same gear, what is the point?

Farnack

Banned
Wow, I can't even hit the trial cap. Everytime I get around level 6-7, I just don't want to play anymore. Those scenerios (BGs) are shit, the RVR is just zerg gankfests, and the public quests are the worst idea ever created.

Maybe if there wasn't a trial level cap, I would have more motivation to level.
EA always pulls these bullshits in their demos.

Farnack said:
Wow, I can't even hit the trial cap. Everytime I get around level 6-7, I just don't want to play anymore. Those scenerios (BGs) are shit, the RVR is just zerg gankfests, and the public quests are the worst idea ever created.

Maybe if there wasn't a trial level cap, I would have more motivation to level.
EA always pulls these bullshits in their demos.
Wow has a level cap for its trial, along with other ridiculous restrictions

Yoritomo

Just a few notes for those just starting out.

Functionally the game is the same throughout. If you're not having fun roaming and taking objectives in T1 the game doesn't fundamentally change later on. Kill time lowers and CC gets introduced. More strategy comes into play later on, but functionally if you're not having a good time running the scenarios/battlegrounds you might not have tons of fun with the game.

The difference between this and every other MMO I've ever played is that I actually have more fun leveling than I do at end game. Level 31 in Warhammer is the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. I've played through level 31 on 4-5 toons now and i keep making more alts of different archetypes to PVP and fight.

My main suggestion is to roll on a high pop server like Iron Rock so you know there's always a fight somewhere.

If you're not having fun it might also be that you haven't fun a fun group of people to play with.

Hammer

After being gone since launch, I've recently been wanting to re-subscribe. I hear balance has been hammered out, and the additional classes have been added. I started up a new account on the free trial, but find T1 Bgs to be virtually empty on whatever random server it placed me in. I'm not really attached to my launch character, Bupu, and wanted to start over on a High pop, open rule set server. Unfortunately google seems to be failing me. Does anyone know where I can find a list of server populations according to realm side? (I don't want to contribute to a zerg realm, had plenty of that back in DAOC with albion). And whats the story with GAF and Averheim?

Sorry if I worded that horridly. Thanks in advance. :D

nataku

Iron Rock / Phoenix Throne / Dark Crag / Volkmar / Praag seem pretty popular.

This is mostly going by forum posts at the official forum, though. Since they merged a lot of servers it seems like almost all of them are at least Medium / Medium population.

I play on Iron Rock and there are always people playing and RvR going on.

The GAF guild died within the free month. Almost no one renewed, and those that did split to different guilds. I'm not sure anyone in the original GAF guild plays anymore.

Yoritomo

Farnack said:
So who's overpowered?

I'm gonna try the squig dude.

Any class that has a % bonus to dmg built into their mechanic is pretty powerful.

and since the resist nerf Magic ranged dmg is king. BW or Sorc are the big killers right now. Warrior Priest or Disciple of Khaine with a regen/book chalice is the super powered healer currently.

Currently most high level groups seem to be favoring the pbaoe bomb setup.

2 tanks, 2 Bright Wizards or Sorcs, 2 Warrior Priests or Disciples of Khaine focused on healing.

Tanks guard the casters. 1 tank is a Knight or Chosen twisting in the resist debuff chant. Casters slot close quarters. Run into group. Blow them up. Best counter is ranged aoe which is harder to pull off in open field.

In keep fights it's all gtaoe all the time. This should be somewhat resolved next patch.

Hammer

After playing the trial for the last week and a half, I finally decided to reopen my account. Luckily when Averheim went down they copied my main to Iron Rock (though they did change her name.) She's only 18/17 IB, but not having to replay t1 will be nice. :D

If any gaffers ended up together in a guild, please let me know... I'd love to join you.

Name is Devonshire on Iron Rock.

I was also thinking of rolling a KotBS for an alt. Anyone have any impressions? The class boards are all over the place and full of incessant whining; there are lots of tips, but not too many impressions. Anyone have one as a main? It kind of reminds me of an Alb Pally from DAoC with the twisting and whatnot. What do you guys think of the class?

Edit: No longer using Devonshire (formerly Bupu from guild of the forever) as my main. My new main is a KotBS: Hux, Iron Rock server.

chapel

Banned
Hammer said:
After playing the trial for the last week and a half, I finally decided to reopen my account. Luckily when Averheim went down they copied my main to Iron Rock (though they did change her name.) She's only 18/17 IB, but not having to replay t1 will be nice. :D

If any gaffers ended up together in a guild, please let me know... I'd love to join you.

Name is Devonshire on Iron Rock.

I was also thinking of rolling a KotBS for an alt. Anyone have any impressions? The class boards are all over the place and full of incessant whining; there are lots of tips, but not too many impressions. Anyone have one as a main? It kind of reminds me of an Alb Pally from DAoC with the twisting and whatnot. What do you guys think of the class?
I have a Kotbs on Vortex at 38 atm.
Let's just say you really don't come into the class until 25 and then at 35 and 37 you get game changing abilities. At 35 you get Shield of the sun which is pretty nice for aoe grinding or when you have a bunch of guys on you. At 37 you get Bellow Commands which to me is must have. It gives you 5 AP every second for every aura/command you have on. So you can twist 3 that gives you 15 AP/sec that makes it really hard to run out of AP. The class is really versatile, although not the best tank can hold your own in any dungeon, although your dps doesnt match a mdps, you can rape with the right build and equipment. What really makes knights shine is their utility and ability to push the tide of battle in your teams favor. I recommend playing one, it can be alot of fun.

Haeleos

If anyone's interested, I have 2 invite a friend's left if anyone wants to play on Iron Rock and try out the new stuff in the game (instead of playing on the trial servers that everyone in the regular trial is limited to). Iron Rock is the server the original GAF guild was on (Averheim got transferred to it) and it's pretty active/well populated. PM me with your email if you want an invite.

Hammer

Haeleos said:
If anyone's interested, I have 2 invite a friend's left if anyone wants to play on Iron Rock and try out the new stuff in the game (instead of playing on the trial servers that everyone in the regular trial is limited to). Iron Rock is the server the original GAF guild was on (Averheim got transferred to it) and it's pretty active/well populated. PM me with your email if you want an invite.

Did the Averheim guild stick together after the transfer, or did everyone go their separate ways? I would love to re-join you guys if your still together. Somehow, I get the feeling we've been fragmented though...

Haeleos

Yea when I logged back on there was a message saying a bunch moved to a new guild. I didn't bother tracking anyone down though. Still, it's an awesome server and I've had plenty of people to play with in each tier and there's a warband around to join for Open PVP all the time.

Top Bottom