• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

wrowa

What's the difference between between Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi? Also, is 2012's WO worth picking up if you aren't experienced with Musou games?

Tabby

What's the difference between between Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi? Also, is 2012's WO worth picking up if you aren't experienced with Musou games?
Warriors Orochi has characters from Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors and original characters based on mythology and gods and an original story.
Great place to start with Warriors games.

FFS! DW8 is easy most of the time, but Fan Castle (Wu) is killing me. I can't get to both Mi Fang and Fu Shiren in time. Then, after killing Zhou Cang across the map, Guan Ping spawns pretty much on the gate controls, and killing Guan Suo didn't open the gate so I could stop him. Then Cao Ren basically falls over and dies even though not a single officer is near him.

Guess I'll try again, forget about the gate and babysit Cao Ren all the time.

Also, am I missing something with crossbows/bows? Are they ever more useful than something with a wide sweep? I'm trying to use Lian Shi and those puny arrows that strike five enemies (at best) are useless compared to any melee weapon.

Using the horse is pretty important for this damn stage since you need to charge quickly after beating Guan Yingping to defeat Mi Fang and Fu Shiren. Then after beating Zhou Cang, you need to charge quickly on the upper path where I think you fought Zhou Cang (don't remember where he is), go around that middle mountain, up the left path to the bridge where Guan Ping is.

The main problem is if you let yourself get flooded your army's morale basically nosedives and you'll probably end up losing Cao Ren that way.

Crossbow's running attack is pretty good. They get a bit of a speed buff when you switch attack into it and its C4 move activates a bunch of elements so you could spam that. Lianshi's EX isn't bad but her C5 usually ends up blowing everything away making it hard for that EX to actually hit anything.

The Bow on the other hand is eh. Its C4 is kinda good for sniping. Its C2 and C3 are decent for hitting single targets.

Yawnier

Banned

1. Dynasty Warriors features solely Late Han, Three Kingdoms, and Early Jin era characters of Ancient China. The main story is based on historical events as well as the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms so there are some fictitious events or occurrences in the DW series too.

2. Warriors Orochi features characters from Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and some original ones too (i.e. Ryu Hayabusa and Achilles). With all these characters brought together, the story is pretty much all fiction and original.

3. Warriors Orochi 3 (2012) is a good starting place as well as DW7 or DW8, BUT there is the possibility of the ultimate edition of WO3 being localized this summer so you may or may not want to wait for it.

Blink Me

I got One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 for Christmas and am enjoying it much more than the first one. I didn't enjoy the one on one boss battles in the previous game.

Looking forward to DW8 XL although I still can't believe they haven't added Cheng Pu yet.

As someone who enjoys Dynasty/Samurai/One Piece Warriors do you think I'd also enjoy Kens Rage 2 and the latest Gundam game? Or are they different?

New Sengoku Musou character and she's fabulous:

NVSFJyR.jpg

She's Koshōshō and she uses a celestial robe or basically that piece of cloth.

Naotora Ii has also been announced so here's hope for the other two SWC2 characters.

Also, Hanzo looks like a shiny Kamen Rider now, Ieyasu looks the same and Motochika continues to look like he's the lead singer in a visual kei band.

Josephl64

1. Dynasty Warriors features solely Late Han, Three Kingdoms, and Early Jin era characters of Ancient China. The main story is based on historical events as well as the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms so there are some fictitious events or occurrences in the DW series too.

2. Warriors Orochi features characters from Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and some original ones too (i.e. Ryu Hayabusa and Achilles). With all these characters brought together, the story is pretty much all fiction and original.

3. Warriors Orochi 3 (2012) is a good starting place as well as DW7 or DW8, BUT there is the possibility of the ultimate edition of WO3 being localized this summer so you may or may not want to wait for it.

and then you have to add Bao Sanniang to DW thanks to her not being from Historical events or ROTK

Fandangox

New Sengoku Musou character and she's fabulous:

She's Koshōshō and she uses a celestial robe or basically that piece of cloth.

Naotora Ii has also been announced so here's hope for the other two SWC2 characters.

Fuck we were so close.

Also Koshoso does look fabulous, JoJo esque even, lots of JoJo esque characters popping up here and there.

Any words on what Magoichi, Masamune, and Ujiyasu look/play like in 4?

Fuck we were so close.

Also Koshoso does look fabulous, JoJo esque even, lots of JoJo esque characters popping up here and there.

Any words on what Magoichi, Masamune, and Ujiyasu look/play like in 4?

No Magoichi yet.

From what gameplay we seen of other characters, everyone kinda plays the same but I guess the whole new thing is they now have a string that goes off the charge button so like T-T-S.

Im hungry to play more games on my vita and exploring picking up DW next if I can find it cheap enough. How does it compare to some of the warriors games last year? Sadly, the last one I played was Orochi 3, which is a tough act to follow. Does it have the rpg elements and skins at least?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wait... What....?

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS THREAD BEFORE!?????

Well i've subbed and this will now be my home thread.

Who else is excited for the huge amount of KOEI games coming in the first half of the year! Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, Toukiden, Atelier and most likely SM4, MO2U and SGM will see an overseas release as well.

Tabby

Im hungry to play more games on my vita and exploring picking up DW next if I can find it cheap enough. How does it compare to some of the warriors games last year? Sadly, the last one I played was Orochi 3, which is a tough act to follow. Does it have the rpg elements and skins at least?
I wouldn't recommend DWNext, there's way too many gimmicks for it to be enjoyable.
I don't have it personally, played the demo and on a friends vita.
I'd wait for DW8+XL for vita.

Noi

The base combat is like DW7, only with an attack that lets you cancel out of whatever you're doing instead instead of swapping weapons. Its easy to kill time with, but it suffers from launch window syndrome where developers try to use every single new feature on the system, even if its not particularly a good use.

Yawnier

Banned
With li Naotora added into Samurai Warriors, we are one step closer to li Naomasa. I think its finally happening GAF.

and then you have to add Bao Sanniang to DW thanks to her not being from Historical events or ROTK

Yeah I forgot about that forgettable character, ugh.

Fandangox

No Magoichi yet.

From what gameplay we seen of other characters, everyone kinda plays the same but I guess the whole new thing is they now have a string that goes off the charge button so like T-T-S.

No Magoichi yet uh. Well new designs for those two look alright, although I like how Ujiyasu looks on SW3 better.

Josephl64

With li Naotora added into Samurai Warriors, we are one step closer to li Naomasa. I think its finally happening GAF.

Yeah I forgot about that forgettable character, ugh.

I liked her...she was cute, but then again she doesn't shine as brightly as the rest of the Shu cast...I'm sure Koei can fix that given time

I liked her...she was cute, but then again she doesn't shine as brightly as the rest of the Shu cast...I'm sure Koei can fix that given time

Well one of the main problems is that Shu has a large cast and they don't really showcase them well enough cause we gotten have all that Sworn Brothers crap and always starting with the Yellow Tuburns.

I mean in DW8, you literally play with the same 3 or 4 characters for the first few stages and then everything gets rushed in the middle to reach Zhuge Liang's death.

As someone who enjoys Dynasty/Samurai/One Piece Warriors do you think I'd also enjoy Kens Rage 2 and the latest Gundam game? Or are they different?

If you like the overall game play of Warriors titles, AND the respective franchise being spun off, then OF COURSE you would love them!

Personally found the Ken's Rage titles way to stiff to enjoy just from the demos, some like them some say they are ok. The Gundam games are all great imo. 2 Had great stages, and a more classic DW gameplay. 3 has the best graphics in the whole Warriors franchise, using cell shading to nail the anime look. Sadly the cost for this awesome visual style was super small stages with few variations. The new one just released in Japan and hopefully internationally soon is a kind of hybrid of 2 and 3. Has larger stages, but the graphics went back to the 3D style of 2, retains the awesome fast and furious gameplay of 3 though. And a more updated roster of course.

Josephl64

Well one of the main problems is that Shu has a large cast and they don't really showcase them well enough cause we gotten have all that Sworn Brothers crap and always starting with the Yellow Tuburns.

I mean in DW8, you literally play with the same 3 or 4 characters for the first few stages and then everything gets rushed in the middle to reach Zhuge Liang's death.

well I wouldn't call it crap, but they do need to work on it a bit more, they're still trying new things with every iteration so I have hope

I've been playing DW7E, DW8 and One Piece Warriors 2, all great games, and Koei has managed to sucker me for dlc money many times, send help.

Shengar

Who else is excited for the huge amount of KOEI games coming in the first half of the year! Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, Toukiden, Atelier and most likely SM4, MO2U and SGM will see an overseas release as well.
Toukiden is my definite purchase for February. It's gonna be a busy month for my handhelds with that and Bravely Default coming.

I've been keeping up with Samurai Warriors 4, and I am liking the look of it so far. I played the hell out of the very first Samurai Warriors, I love that game to death.

I didn't play Samurai Warriors 2 a whole lot, and I never played Samurai Warriors 3. I would like to get back into the series, but now I have no idea of who all these new characters are, and that includes the ones from Samurai Warriors 3. I have an attachment to all the characters from Dynasty Warriors, and I have yet to do that for all the new Samurai Warriors characters.

Since SW4 will actually come out on a console I own, I will definitely buy it. I'll have a lot of catching up to do, that is for sure.

Blink Me

If you like the overall game play of Warriors titles, AND the respective franchise being spun off, then OF COURSE you would love them!

Personally found the Ken's Rage titles way to stiff to enjoy just from the demos, some like them some say they are ok. The Gundam games are all great imo. 2 Had great stages, and a more classic DW gameplay. 3 has the best graphics in the whole Warriors franchise, using cell shading to nail the anime look. Sadly the cost for this awesome visual style was super small stages with few variations. The new one just released in Japan and hopefully internationally soon is a kind of hybrid of 2 and 3. Has larger stages, but the graphics went back to the 3D style of 2, retains the awesome fast and furious gameplay of 3 though. And a more updated roster of course.

Thanks for that. Will try the new Gundam when it comes out and might get Ken's Rage 2. I take it the combat isn't as stiff as Legends of Troy?

Red Mage

Well, they tend to focus on the "best" times for each force. I agree, however, that they could spread out the early chapters among the main three forces and focus more on Liu Bei's building of his generals/forces. It'll always end at Wu Zhang Plains for Shu though. Everything after that is just depressing. = (

Yoshimoto does look better than before.

And he's getting a story mode and it's 50% likely it wouldn't just be about him running around trying to get to become kemari buddies!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was enjoying my first foray into Dynasty Warriors, having beaten the Wei line and working on the Hypothetical Route, when my PS3 finally gave in and died. :(

This sucks. I don't know if I'll be able to get my save off either, meaning I'll lose my progress in One Piece PW2, Gundam DW3, and Kamen Rider Battride War as well which I'd been playing to completion recently.

Tabby

I was enjoying my first foray into Dynasty Warriors, having beaten the Wei line and working on the Hypothetical Route, when my PS3 finally gave in and died. :(

This sucks. I don't know if I'll be able to get my save off either, meaning I'll lose my progress in One Piece PW2, Gundam DW3, and Kamen Rider Battride War as well which I'd been playing to completion recently.

I think they recently announced cross saves for DW8 for the Vita, PS3 and PS4.
I think the PS4 and Vita comes with XL, if you're willing to double dip you won't lose all your progress.

Yawnier

Banned
Yoshimoto does look better than before.

And he's getting a story mode and it's 50% likely it wouldn't just be about him running around trying to get to become kemari buddies!

He's been so undeveloped in the SW games I have played, I hope Omega Force sort of change things about him instead of him just being a foolish and childish warlord who kicks a ball around.

I agree he looks better than his SW3 appearance.

He's been so undeveloped in the SW games I have played, I hope Omega Force sort of change things about him instead of him just being a foolish and childish warlord who kicks a ball around.

I agree he looks better than his SW3 appearance.

It's possible since they are adding his daughter in law, Lady Hayakawa so there is some possibility that we'll get some actual story out of his story mode.

Then again, her weapon is a dakyu stick so....I guess Sengoku Sports Festival time?

sensui-tomo

so is Samurai warriors 4 adding those 3ds characters that never got in the warriors orochi 3 game?(not the 3ds game that was localized the second one that stayed in japan)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Went back to Basara yesterday.

Tried SB2 and SB2 Heroes on the HD Collection first. They run great-- everything is widescreen apart from in-game cut scenes and CG movies. The latter I understand, but not the former. Makes no sense when those cut scenes are already in a letterboxed 16:9 format. But the game play definitely feels dated now. A bit too simplistic. Still offers a nice challenge on hard mode.

Then I played some SB3 Utage. It still holds up nicely after so much Koei musou. Took a bit to get used to the game play differences (SB being more free-form in everything and Koei games feeling more 'rigid', with set chains), but was having a blast again playing on hard. I really did not play enough of this version of the game- Only a handful of characters were leveled-up. :-[

I just hope that SB4 has its own identity and doesn't end up feeling like another SB3 update.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wait wait wait wait, are you telling me the worst Dynasty Warriors did better than the best Dynasty Warriors?
What?

That depends what you class as the worst Dynasty Warriors?

Are you talking about DW6? Because that game was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 and was bundled with the PS3 40GB edition. Plus the game sold quite well on PS2 version as well.

What do you class the best DW game? DW8? Yeh, game had poor sales in Japan bro.

Tabby

That depends what you class as the worst Dynasty Warriors?

Are you talking about DW6? Because that game was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 and was bundled with the PS3 40GB edition. Plus the game sold quite well on PS2 version as well.

What do you class the best DW game? DW8? Yeh, game had poor sales in Japan bro.

Yeah. DW6 and DW8.
I didn't realise it was bundled with the PS3.

Here is a sales round up/analysis of the Warriors series of games in Japan. Shows how well the Musou series has performed in Japan over time.

Dynasty Warriors

Samurai Warriors

Gundam Warriors

Warriors Orochi (coming soon)

*Data taken from KOEI, Famitsu, Media Create, Dengeki + estimates from myself.

Good stuff but If I have to be nitpicky I wouldn't rely on that banned site for sales.

I wonder if the halved sales since DW 6 can be pointed to the change in the combo system and musou or it's just the series that is showing its age. They sure have killed any interested I had in 8.

And wow at Gundam beating Dynasty and Samurai.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Good stuff but If I have to be nitpicky I wouldn't rely on that banned site for sales.

I wonder if the halved sales since DW 6 can be pointed to the change in the combo system and musou or it's just the series that is showing its age. They sure have killed any interested I had in 8.

And wow at Gundam beating Dynasty and Samurai.

Tbh I haven't really used "that banned site" in my figures apart from for comparisons to trusted sites such as famitsu etc... Plus vgc is way off for some games so i just ignored it for a lot of games. Also a lot of my figures (as shown in the pictures on the SW and DW page) are actual shipment figures from KOEI themselves. So they are 100% correct. I would say margin for error is around 10,000 units either way.

Gundam 1 and 2 beats DW and SW in cases due to release on PS2 tbh. But yeh, PS3 gen is under performing for DW and SW compared to PS2 gen. Tbh a lot of sales are now spread over other musou games, so people are still buying musou games, but not just DW and SW. Other series are doing just as well. One Piece and Fist of the north star and Gundam have been top sellers among DW series.

Yeah. DW6 and DW8.
I didn't realise it was bundled with the PS3.

Yeh also DW8 is a PS3 exclusive as well, plus we don't have digital numbers for the game.
Where as DW6 was released on PS3 (bundle), Xbox 360, PS2. So more platforms + bundle does = more sales. Also DW6 was hyped up as true next gen DW.
DW7 did quite well though by shipping just under 500k units in Japan on just PS3 which is better than DW6 PS3 only sales.

Top Bottom