• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I played a good bit of SB3, but didn't spend as much time with Utage. I'm disappointed that they have AGAIN removed characters from the roster and made them NPCs. You just know that an inevitable SB4 update will be released later on.

But I guess the same can be said about the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors games in that regard. :p

I played a good bit of SB3, but didn't spend as much time with Utage. I'm disappointed that they have AGAIN removed characters from the roster and made them NPCs. You just know that an inevitable SB4 update will be released later on.

But I guess the same can be said about the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors games in that regard. :p

I did import Utage, but haven't put nearly as much time into it. I wish SH didn't bomb so hard that Capcom would use that as an excuse to never bring over another SB game again :(.

TreIII

Sengoku Basara 4 is out in Japan. Hope to get my copy tomorrow. TBH I'm looking way more forward to Sengoku Musou 4 over this game. Never thought I'd say that.
The Musou side may have more in the way of content (plus Kagekatsu, who looks manly and awesome), but the gameplay isn't as much of a leap as I was hoping. I was at least hoping that they would've remade some movesets, in the way that DW7/8's movesets aren't just strict remakes of DW5-era stuff. And Shinsoku is just looking like a better way to kill mooks, if officers just end up resisting it.

I'll probably still end up enjoying it, but I'm hoping they'll shed a few more gameplay details over the next two months. Seeing 10 year old movesets with little changes hurt my hype a bit.

Sengoku Basara 4 is out in Japan. Hope to get my copy tomorrow. TBH I'm looking way more forward to Sengoku Musou 4 over this game. Never thought I'd say that.

Yeah, my copy shipped and I'm tracking it with the fury of a thousand suns hoping it'll arrive tomorrow.

I guess I am looking more forward to Sengoku Musou 4 only because KOEI will actually release it in the west (and on the Vita too!) and I could not use my broken Japanese to try and get through it.

I also like that Musou is giving almost everyone a costume upgrade and I know that 99% of the unique characters will be playable which is more than Basara is doing, lol.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Only if they combined the action of Basara with the story contents of Musou :)

Plus the character designs of Musou. Basara's are very stylish, but I really like the armour designs on Koei's characters, plus with every installment they get updated, which is good for variety.

As for gameplay, I was browsing around Koei Warriors Forums, and it seems SW4 has new mechanic.
By beating certain PCs, you unlock a sort of personal item from that character which any other character can use. The item's effect relates to the warrior you got it from, so if you use Hanzo's item, you gain the ability to create Shadow Clones. I can see this really spicing up the gameplay, along with that new Godspeed mechanic and the super Musou thingies.

Yawnier

Banned

They really did the bolded again, huh? (I don't follow the Basara series that closely). SMH.

Plus the character designs of Musou. Basara's are very stylish, but I really like the armour designs on Koei's characters, plus with every installment they get updated, which is good for variety.

As for gameplay, I was browsing around Koei Warriors Forums, and it seems SW4 has new mechanic.
By beating certain PCs, you unlock a sort of personal item from that character which any other character can use. The item's effect relates to the warrior you got it from, so if you use Hanzo's item, you gain the ability to create Shadow Clones. I can see this really spicing up the gameplay, along with that new Godspeed mechanic and the super Musou thingies.

That sounds amazing. It's getting harder to resist waiting for the localization now.

They really did the bolded again, huh? (I don't follow the Basara series that closely). SMH.

Off the top of my head, Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie Maeda, Matsu, Takeda Shingen are all NPCs again. I think Hojo's a NPC again too, so uh basically all the returning characters they added in Utage, lol.

Not to mention, anyone that's been given the shaft from 2 to 3 as well (Nohime, Ranamaru, Itsuki, etc).

The 5 of the 6 incomplete characters from Utage were NPC'd (Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie, Matsu, Shingen), while 1 was cut entirely (Hojo). They introduced 2 new NPC (Ashikaga - The big bad - and Maria - Nagamasa's sister). The roster is 7 NPCs and 32 PCs.

Edit: Curse my slow cell phone typing! Ninja'd.

Edit 2: I expect these 8 + Nouhime and Ranmaru to be in the inevitable expansion. Nou and Ran are being searched for by Nobunaga in this
and show up in a flashback in one of the anime cutscenes for another character

That would leave Itsuki, Zavi, Imagawa, Musashi, Honganji and the Area Warlords from 3 on the cutting room floor. Although, I could see Amago getting upgraded in the next one too. I think Shikanosuke is searching for him in his story.

Shengar

Got to say the enemy AI is actually good for a hack and slash game. They actually attack and defend. I'd like to see that type of AI and attack/defense patterns in Sengoku Musou.... not as over the top obviously.

DW5 AI in that regard is quite good as far as I remembered. They actually switched betweem attack and defend, especially the latter for those who have shield in most bases.

RangerBAD

Off the top of my head, Kenshin, Kasuga, Toshiie Maeda, Matsu, Takeda Shingen are all NPCs again. I think Hojo's a NPC again too, so uh basically all the returning characters they added in Utage, lol.

Not to mention, anyone that's been given the shaft from 2 to 3 as well (Nohime, Ranamaru, Itsuki, etc).

They took Kasuga out again?! OH FUCK NO, CAPCOM!

Heads up for people wanting to download BASARA 4: It is $328 HK on the Hong Kong PSN. I was able to get a $300 HK and an $80 HK code from playasia for $57 USD. Far cheaper than getting it from the Japanese PSN. Getting Yen cards from the same site would cost over $90.

It seems prices overall are much better on the HK PSN, so thank you Seraphis Cain for letting me know about it.

Edit: Is anyone making a SB4 OT? It would probably be better to discuss the game there than in the Musou thread here :p.

Just to cross post this everywhere.

BexlGj5CUAAYP46.jpg:large

Yawnier

Banned

Yeah wow, I haven't played the game, but it sounds like a step back in that respect.

I just paid 35$ for DW8 DLC stuff...

Damn, I'm addicted.

I spent like $60 - $70 on DW7 DLC, I learned my lesson after that lol.

I just paid 35$ for DW8 DLC stuff...

Damn, I'm addicted.

Bought all the stages, DLC weapons (originals and the joke/blue ones), original costumes, BGMs, etc, etc.

Yeah wow, I haven't played the game, but it sounds like a step back in that respect.

To be fair, in Utage they were basically incomplete characters, not having the same number of moves as others.

And how else could they market the expansion pack for Sengoku Basara 4?

Heads up for people wanting to download BASARA 4: It is $328 HK on the Hong Kong PSN. I was able to get a $300 HK and an $80 HK code from playasia for $57 USD. Far cheaper than getting it from the Japanese PSN. Getting Yen cards from the same site would cost over $90.
wait

wat

Might be doing that later.

EDIT: oh god i did

Tabby

So what's the general opinion on Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce? I bought today for $8 at Gamestop and was I surprised I found someone online.

I found it nice to play something different than the usual Dynasy Warriors.
I would have liked it more if it was one giant map.

Lyte Edge

SB4. Man.

Capcom, why did I doubt you? This game is too fucking good. They just built on SB3 and added more moves, weapon customization/leveling/fusion, and continued to to give us crazy stages and enemies to fight. Enemies can now group and attack you in various formations too, like building a human pyramid or turning themselves into giant spinning wheels. :lol There's also more enemy variety per stage.

Played one of Ii Naotora's routes, going the "drama" path, once. She has a large sword and plays slower than most other characters. At first she seemed pretty limited, but then you quickly earn her unique ability, which lets you use R1 as an attack modifier, effectively doubling her moveset. I was doing crazy custom combos all over the place!

Next up was Shima Saikon. I'm not the biggest fan of his design -his outfit is a bit too revealing for my tastes and would look better on a female, but hey, this is BASARA- This dude is INSANE. He also has what amounts to two movesets, which you can access by pressing R1 to switch stances (blades and a more kick-oriented style), and the kick style reminds me very much of a Kenshiro/Rei Fist Of The North Star fusion. You can do a lot of his stuff in the air too, so there's a lot of juggling and air combos going on.

The only mistake I've made so far was trying out one of the game modifiers-- I equipped an item that makes all the enemies' health bars regenerate. If you beat them, you get more money than usual, but it made one of the stages I played completely impossible...my level was too low to beat one of the sub-generals and advance to the next area of the stage. I forgot that I had equipped this item and was going crazy wondering why I couldn't make a dent in this enemy's armor. :lol

This is also the first SB game with DLC. Currently there's two Date Masamune outfits (one came with the game) up; one of them is a DMC1 Dante outfit. Had to buy it!

Absolutely having a blast playing this. I like it so much more than SB3.

Yawnier

Banned
...and I've returned from my week long exile from GAF.

SW4 Hideyoshi's hat is ridiculous :lol. Kagekatsu Uesugi also looks awesome.

Guys, I am a huge Empires fan, and I am seriously thinking of getting Samurai Warriors 3 Empires. I know its not as good as some previous Empires, but I still want it. Anyone here have it? Got any impressions, how import friendly is it, I was able to play SW2 and SW2E well enough!

Anyone got some impressions on the 3DS verison of Samurai Warriors?

Want a cheap, non RPG to pair with Bravely Default on Friday. So far all my 3DS titles are RPG and over the xmas break I basically bought nothing but RPGs too lol. Already backlogged so need some of my warriors fix.

Anyone got some impressions on the 3DS verison of Samurai Warriors?

Want a cheap, non RPG to pair with Bravely Default on Friday. So far all my 3DS titles are RPG and over the xmas break I basically bought nothing but RPGs too lol. Already backlogged so need some of my warriors fix.
Best handheld warriors game, and has added visual novel bits in it too

Lyte Edge

Best handheld warriors game, and has added visual novel bits in it too

Not even close, but it made for a good 3DS launch title. Although it's the only musou on 3DS (in English) anyway, unless you want to count Senran Kagura Burst.

Valkerionseven, this version of the game is basically Samurai Warriors 3, but with an added strategy element in that you control up to four characters at the same time, switching between them using the touch screen. You mainly play as a generic male or female "CAW", which I was not a big fan of.

Yawnier

Banned
^ Well, that pretty much confirms a European release at least, huh. With that hopefully comes a NA release too.

Top Bottom