• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was I scammed on a PS4 off marketplace?

Maddux4164

Banned
I went to check amazon real quick and you can get a compatible HDD for as low as $14, I truly do hope your situation gets better.

I dont think the board is fried, but you really wont be able to tell until you clean it all up. Hell maybe the old hdd will work after that.
Can you link me? Also just asked you a question below 👇

Can you expound on why you think the board is good. Just extremely curious on if all this is worth it. It might well be. But asking

Soodanim

You shouldn’t.
I've never thought about it before, but I bet some of GAF is the filthiest creatures you'd ever have the displeasure of meeting. I'm talking so bad that pigs would stop rolling in shit to say "That dirty bastard needs to have a wash".

But some have the cleanest set ups known to man, so it balances out.

Maddux4164

Banned
I've never thought about it before, but I bet some of GAF is the filthiest creatures you'd ever have the displeasure of meeting. I'm talking so bad that pigs would stop rolling in shit to say "That dirty bastard needs to have a wash".

But some have the cleanest set ups known to man, so it balances out.
Let me know if any GAF’er has some old last gen console laying around lol 😂

Last edited:

Three

Question. If I did get some new HDD

How would that help the fact there’s no video signal? Surely that can’t be normal regardless if the drive is dead or not?
Don't buy a HDD. Take this HDD out then try to boot into safe mode (holding power button) if it doesn't show a screen asking for firmware version X.XX then the HDD is not the issue.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Update

A HDD does exist
Two dead bugs are guarding it to keep it safe

gross jeff goldblum GIF

Maddux4164

Banned
Yes it should show a minimal background text message.

Also it would be useful to know the exact LED colour sequence when you try to boot. Does it blink a certain colour before shutting down?

What’s weird. ZERO beep on mine. None. Ever. Absolutely ever. What you make of that?

Maddux4164

Banned
Dude, the 60 bucks you lost is least of your problems now.
You just brought in a bug infested console home. Those two dead ones aren't the only occupants and have fun paying even more once they move in.
Trust me; I wish that was my biggest issues in life

Three

What’s weird. ZERO beep on mine. None. Ever. Absolutely ever. What you make of that?
I don't know to be honest but I think there was an update to allow the user to turn off beeps, at least on PS5, I'm not sure if they allowed that for PS4 too. The user might have just removed the buzzer if it annoyed them too.

One thing to try is to try and boot up safe mode with no HDMI and no HDD. Then plug the hdmi in after boot. Sometimes the HDMI port does strange things like stop the machine from booting.

My guess would be that the PSU is acting up so things aren't working at all. I once had a UK PS4 I took to another country and used there with a local 2 prong power cable, the thing would shut down on its own. The touch sensitive buttons were turning it off on its own due to the voltage difference maybe. No idea why.

Maddux4164

Banned
I don't know to be honest but I think there was an update to allow the user to turn off beeps, at least on PS5, I'm not sure if they allowed that for PS4 too. The user might have just removed the buzzer if it annoyed them too.

One thing to try is to try and boot up safe mode with no HDMI and no HDD. Then plug the hdmi in after boot. Sometimes the HDMI port does strange things like stop the machine from booting.

My guess would be that the PSU is acting up so things aren't working at all. I once had a UK PS4 I took to another country and used there with a local 2 prong power cable, the thing would shut down on its own. The touch sensitive buttons were turning it off on its own due to the voltage difference maybe. No idea why.
Ok. I guess I will try it. Not sure how it would help show me a SIGNAL

Bought one locally, very cheap. $60. They wanted $80.

I’ve used marketplace for a decade. Buying and selling. Always had good luck and can usually spot the scams

This PS4 turns on. Blue lights. White. Orange. All kinda taking turns

The system is ABSOLUTELY silent. No HDD spins up. Can’t hear fans. Nothing.

They swear it works

It’s extremely dirty, but whatever.
When you buy something on a internetnmarketplace its like gambling, how lower the price then alambells must be ringing in your head. You bought a turd, shit happens😩

Last edited:
Def can be. But I’m picky on who I choose to bite on. Clearly could’ve been taken and likely so. Sometimes people need FAST cash immediately to pay a water bill or something. Get food. Anything

But, just wondering if I’m doing something wrong lol
Yes you did, but question it was for a waterbill ore food. I think he was out of pot and desperated needed a smoke, therefore he dropped the price with $20😁

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I personally never trust buying most electronics second hand, either they dont work at all or when they do work they are near death.
I've sold electronics without any problems but I always worry that a buyer will come back having poured water on it or something, complaining that they don't work so I always demo them working before the buyer takes it away.

Trilobit

Update

A HDD does exist
Two dead bugs are guarding it to keep it safe

I was going to mention that one of the reasons why I don't buy used electronics is because the risk of bugs in them, but you seemed to have found out that already lol. Just be happy that it isn't bed bugs or something as that would have traumatized you and become very expensive to deal with. 🪲

Out the mother fucker!

I’ve sold two things on here and if they weren’t happy, I’d want them screaming about how I cheated them.
Well, now that you mention it. The bidet you sold me has always been stuck on the most powerful setting that hurts badly, but you said you enjoyed using it before selling.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wouldn't put any more money into this one. I'm betting it's full of dead roaches and roach poo has shorted stuff out. Just try to push the seller to give you your money back.

amc

Unfortunately it pays to be cynical in this world. Something too cheap, there's a reason. Something free, check the hidden postage. Sob stories, what's the angle? Usually after free gear or money.

Last edited:

lordrand11

Any idea what you think the issue is? I’ve got a video. But it’s basically just a DEAD SILENT PS4 with lights.

There is some type of hot air coming out. But can’t hear a fan. Maybe it’s in low mode? ABSOLUTELY no hard drive noises
Send me a video in DM and I can look at it, can't promise I'll be able to 100% diagnose it but it couldn't hurt. Or link a video in here

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You could take it apart and just see if there’s damage. Watch a couple videos on taking one apart. Gently clean whatever you find. There’s videos online showing what a good mobo should look like.

Doczu

You could take it apart and just see if there’s damage. Watch a couple videos on taking one apart. Gently clean whatever you find. There’s videos online showing what a good mobo should look like.
DO NOT OPEN A ROACH INFESTED PS4 AT HOME. SERIOUSLY, DON'T.
Either try to get your cash back OP (yeah good luck) or dump it.
It's dead, throwing money at it or trying a diy fix is not worth it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Hard to plug it in, in a parking lot.

They had photos. But… obviously could’ve used a working PS4

One photo was this dead PS4 with lights
A separate photo was “some” PS4 on tv working

Can’t see both together

Also it didn’t come with a power cable. I asked why; the power chord they have is for her “dad”.

That should’ve been my out. But bought one at GameStop for $10. Thought no biggie.

They wanted $100. Lowered it to $80 after a couple days. Offered $60 and she said “ok. I will But because it needs a power cable”
They didn’t bring a power cable in case you were a nerd and showed up with a big ass portable battery with AC outlet to test it.

This is why you test it first, then they get the money. On a positive note you learned a cheap lesson. Trust, but verify.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seriously. Nobody needs to be breathing that in.

Bought one locally, very cheap. $60. They wanted $80.

I’ve used marketplace for a decade. Buying and selling. Always had good luck and can usually spot the scams

This PS4 turns on. Blue lights. White. Orange. All kinda taking turns

The system is ABSOLUTELY silent. No HDD spins up. Can’t hear fans. Nothing.

They swear it works

It’s extremely dirty, but whatever.

If the PS4 was broken it would stay on a blue light, white means it's on, blue to white then orange means it's turning on and immediately going into rest mode, if they are just cycling flashing there is nothing documented for a PS4 to do that, bin it and move on.

Three

If the PS4 was broken it would stay on a blue light, white means it's on, blue to white then orange means it's turning on and immediately going into rest mode, if they are just cycling flashing there is nothing documented for a PS4 to do that, bin it and move on.
I'm not sure why the OP isn't explaining what exactly happens with the lights or uploading that video. My console used to do this on a forgien power supply (turn on fine go white then enter rest mode immediately). The touch sensitive power button was playing up. The short may just be on the power button if the light turns white then turns to standby as long as the PSU is fine. Should try cleaning that button fully first. OP isn't sharing much information to troubleshoot though.

Last edited:
I’m a clown. It’s ok to say. Sorry. Just trusted my fellow local people and was hard up to escape and play a few games.

😞
Your first mistake was trusting anyone. It’s 2024 😂.

On a real note though, sorry that happened to you OP and hopefully it gets rectified. I personally don’t buy any secondhand electronics unless it’s from an actual vendor. To hard to tell ahead of time if something might be wrong with it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He could do it, I don’t know, outside or away from the house with a mask on? It’s not like he has to open it on his bed or something 🤣

King Dazzar

When I was looking for an Xbox recently, there were so many ads on eBay. That had people selling theirs in as new or opened & unused condition. Yet their own photos showed clearly it simply wasn't true. Like in several ads you'd see opened never used. Yet their photo's showed them playing on it.... lol And finger prints etc all over the case. Have to be so careful these days. The bugs thing is insult to injury.

If seller wont help. My only thought is to have it looked at for a repair quote, before binning it. Have to roll with the punches sometimes.

Maddux4164

Banned
here’s a much better video. 60 seconds of it being OFF until whatever it’s doing in this 60 seconds

Keep in mind it’s also ABSOLUTELY SILENT

Maddux4164

Banned
Also, I’ve tried entering safe mode. But it’s difficult when there’s NO BEEP sounds

I’ve powered it off by holding it down for 3 seconds
Then, power it on and hold it around 7 seconds or so

But since I cant Hear beeps, impossible to know if I did It right

Krathoon

Ok. I watched your video and the PS4 is getting to white. That means it is working.

It seems like something is wrong with your video output. Do you have the TV set to the right input?

Maddux4164

Banned
Didn't they post images of the system booted and operating since that's hard to tell when meeting up? Never take the "trust me bro" on face value. Hopefully, you get your money back or sell for parts
They had 2 pictures

One of the PS4 lit up (which it does)

The other of a tv with a PS4 on

But you can’t see BOTH together
Ok. I watched your video and the PS4 is getting to white. That means it is working.

It seems like something is wrong with your video output. Do you have the TV set to the right input?
tried 3 different cables on 2 different TVs

I’ll say the HDMI port doesn’t “feel” right

I’ve kinda played with it a LITTLE With no luck

Krathoon

Stll, the PS4 should be making a little beep on startup. You may need to look at the manual and see what it means when it does not beep.

Sleepwalker

Stll, the PS4 should be making a little beep on startup. You may need to look at the manual and see what it means when it does not beep.
It should be beeping, but the most logical explanation to me at this point is that the buzzer/speaker that does the beep may have gone bad, which is not a big of an issue.

The PS4 looks like its working as its staying white, so my money right now would be on a faulty HDMI port. (Sorry OP, this fix does require soldering).

Probably just chalk it, it's full of bugs anyway lol.

Last edited:

Krathoon

When I was looking for an Xbox recently, there were so many ads on eBay. That had people selling theirs in as new or opened & unused condition. Yet their own photos showed clearly it simply wasn't true. Like in several ads you'd see opened never used. Yet their photo's showed them playing on it.... lol And finger prints etc all over the case. Have to be so careful these days. The bugs thing is insult to injury.

If seller wont help. My only thought is to have it looked at for a repair quote, before binning it. Have to roll with the punches sometimes.
Yeah. I always love it when people bald face lie on eBay. They will say it is in like new condition and it is all banged up

I did get one of those late model, blue Xbox 360s that works really well. The seller forgot to reset it to factory settings and blow away their account.

Last edited:

BlackTron

If OP were able to get the PS4 working without opening it, he would keep it under his TV and use it knowing what's in it.

You need to either throw it in the garbage or store it in a SEALED bag/container for until you are able to open it in a controlled environment (AKA not where if a roach speeds off it ends up under your furniture)

Failure to take this seriously is just further self-sabotage.

Drew1440

I'd wager something inside the console is shorting it out, since it cannot complete it's basic power on self test, possibly the SYSCON has failed.
Abandon it and move on, Especially if the console was bug infested. You could potentially salvage it's HDD and wack it in an enclosure, assuming that hasn't failed also.

Top Bottom