• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirBrian

I spent last week in DC -- such a beautiful city. It may sound corny, but every American should try to make it there once in their lifetime.

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

And Reagan Airport is awesome.

Doth Togo

DC sucks in the summer for those that live here.

Fuck the tourists. You suckaz make my commute time double 'cause you can't figure out which stop to get off at. How about I get me and a million other tourists and go to your town and walk slowly and get in the way of you going to work and see if you like it? Let's see if you like a million other stinky badly dressed people making noise and crapping up the streets, hotels and metro in your area.

Tourists suck ass. Go home.

teepo

the only wrothwhile thing in d.c are the clubs.

well i guess we have good venues too but the scene here sucks. every show i go to are a bunch of indie fuckers who go to hiphop shows that completly ruin the atmosphere.

Like the saying goes:

"It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

Give me sunny California any day of the week. Fuck DC, I'm tired of the culture of this town and the loopy fucking weather (90 degrees one day, 35 degrees the next--yes, this does happen).

AirBrian

DJ Demon J said:
Like the saying goes:

"It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."
Exactly. It was hot and humid -- very uncomfortable. I give credit to those who live there and put up with that all summer long.

teepo

DJ Demon J said:
Give me sunny California any day of the week. Fuck DC, I'm tired of the culture of this town and the loopy fucking weather (90 degrees one day, 35 degrees the next--yes, this does happen).

i feel you. i'm moving to ca in about a year.

Doth Togo

AirBrian said:
Exactly. It was hot and humid -- very uncomfortable. I give credit to those who live there and put up with that all summer long.

How about credit for those that put up with the lameass tourists?

BTW, the locals still call "Reagan Airport" National Airport. Nothing Reagan about it.

AirBrian

Doth Togo said:
How about credit for those that put up with the lameass tourists?
OK, you too. :) Parking sucked something nasty. I could only imagine what's it like if you owned a car in that area.

teepo said:
i feel you. i'm moving to ca in about a year.

Same here! Can't decide between LA or SD.

There is at least one good thing about DC--if you're a fan of electronic music, it's one hell of a place to be for up-and-coming as well as established artists in the genre. Lots of great nightclubs/bars that cater to the electronic music scene, most notably Nation (http://www.nationdc.com/), the largest electronic music nightclub in DC.

Tuvoc

I went on a class trip to D.C. in eighth grade and I loved it. Pentagon City is one of the hottest malls I've ever been to.

oh yeah...the monuments were cool too. :)

DJ Demon J said:
Same here! Can't decide between LA or SD.

There is at least one good thing about DC--if you're a fan of electronic music, it's one hell of a place to be for up-and-coming as well as established artists in the genre. Lots of great nightclubs/bars that cater to the electronic music scene, most notably Nation (http://www.nationdc.com/), the largest electronic music nightclub in DC.

I'm leavin' DC as well for good 'ol LA/Orange County. I'm sick of this place.

lexbubble

Doth Togo said:

Fuck the tourists. You suckaz make my commute time double 'cause you can't figure out which stop to get off at. How about I get me and a million other tourists and go to your town and walk slowly and get in the way of you going to work and see if you like it? Let's see if you like a million other stinky badly dressed people making noise and crapping up the streets, hotels and metro in your area.

or what about those that stand on the LEFT AND THE RIGHT and get mad when you try and pass them...ummm excuse me, but you are supposed to walk LEFT in the metro and STAND right so that those of us who live here can get where we need to go

I've been to D.C. and stayed for a week, and I'd definitely consider going back. It's a beautiful city if you're a tourist, (I'm sure the people that live there get tired of it, and think otherwise). They have a great shopping district, and it's not far from the beasuty that is Chesapeake Bay. <--- TIGHT. All I need is a big ass yaucht.

Doth Togo said:

I hear this. I live in a tiny town in Scotland (pop. 9000) in the middle of the Highlands (a.k.a nowhere) and in the summer, this place gets swamped with around a million or odd tourists. Last week, the mountain bike world cup was here, and I couldn't move. There's only one street of shops in the town (and most of them are tourist shops) and it just gets swamped all through the summer. Luckily, the midgies sort em out. And the rain.

Man if I had a choice, I'd move to the OC too. Orange County kicks ass, but it's so damn expensive... Give me a spot right outside of knottsberry farm plz.... Or I'd drive past Hollywood, and take one of those houses waaaaaay up on the hill... WTF is up with that?

For the record, been in D.C. and it's not bad. Coming from a small town though, I was more impressed by the big ass cities like NYC and Chicago. D.C. was nice when I was there though, but the reflecting pools (or whatever they are called) were all empty, so they looked like ass.

Doth Togo

Lots of middle America kiddies just out of college move to DC thinking they'll hit it big. NYC and LA have the same scenerio, I'm sure. Little do they know they'll be exploited as underpaid slaves renting their lives away trying to live off of their credit cards while developing mad crazy debt that'll take 10 years to pay off.

Stay home. As Candide said, cultivate your own garden. Don't think the grass is greener on the other side.

I have never understood why people get so pissed over tourism. Who cares if it slows you down, you live there, you should know how to get around them. Secondly it's a large source of income for many places, and eliminating them would take out a large amount of cash for certains areas and countries. Get over it. :p

Hell, I never cared when I staye din Chicago and it was obvious who were tourists and not, if you know what the fuck you're doing you don't have a problem dealing with them.

teepo

^we have the 2nd(?) worst traffic in the nation.

i plan on moving to san diego or san francisco but i'll be crashing at my aunt and uncles house in the o.c when i first move there.

Haha, that's kind of funny, for smaller areas I can more easily understand the big deal. I visited DC and stayed there for about a week or so with some classmates and we had little to no problem getting through anywhere. So I didn't see the big deal. Doesn't it also come with the area? I mean you live there, I'm sure you knew about it when you moved (not speaking of people born there though, ignore that).

I don't really care though, I was just curious as to why it was such a big deal. I can understand for emergency situations but for your morning commute, well you should have been prepared for that already. Especially if you live there. Hell my mom had no problemg etting in and out of LA and arriving at places on time with their never ending traffic problems.

But eh, anyways, you raise a valid point. Emergency forces do need to be able to get somewhere fast, so in small areas I can see that being a problem.

AirBrian

Doth Togo said:
Stay home. As Candide said, cultivate your own garden. Don't think the grass is greener on the other side.
Trust me, the grass is greener on some sides. Culturally, Dallas has practically nothing. If it weren't for the Mavs and Stars I'd be going crazy. Dallas has 2 major museums, a pathetic downtown, a decent music scene, and not much else. There's the symphany and the theater, but that gets expensive and old. We do have some great malls, but that's because there isn't anything else to do. Even camping is difficult, you have to drive several hours to hit some really nice camp grounds. And don't get me started on the lakes -- absolutely horrible. There's only one natural lake in Texas, the rest are man-made and just plain suck. Did I mention the complete lack of trees? Maybe I'm spoiled because I grew up in the Chicago area, but Dallas' "grass" is very brown. :(

The place is pretty small - I usually walk between here and work, so commuting is not a problem. I've lived here all my life, apart from spending the past five years at Uni, so I've been aware of the tourist malarkey.

Also, I meant Emergency Services not Forces. Didn't notice my typo - makes it sound like this place needs to send in the army every now and then to curb local rioters or something :)

lochnesssnowman said:
The place is pretty small - I usually walk between here and work, so commuting is not a problem. I've lived here all my life, apart from spending the past five years at Uni, so I've been aware of the tourist malarkey.

Also, I meant Emergency Services not Forces. Didn't notice my typo - makes it sound like this place needs to send in the army every now and then to curb local rioters or something :)

Hehe, I still knew what you meant. :p I actually didn't even think it was odd when I was replying and used it myself. Ah well. :p

Doth Togo

DarthWufei said:
Haha, that's kind of funny, for smaller areas I can more easily understand the big deal. I visited DC and stayed there for about a week or so with some classmates and we had little to no problem getting through anywhere. So I didn't see the big deal. Doesn't it also come with the area? I mean you live there, I'm sure you knew about it when you moved (not speaking of people born there though, ignore that).

I don't really care though, I was just curious as to why it was such a big deal. I can understand for emergency situations but for your morning commute, well you should have been prepared for that already. Especially if you live there. Hell my mom had no problemg etting in and out of LA and arriving at places on time with their never ending traffic problems.

But eh, anyways, you raise a valid point. Emergency forces do need to be able to get somewhere fast, so in small areas I can see that being a problem.

People like you think DC is easy to live in because you can come and go when you please. When you've got a JOB and working 40+ hours a week and want to have a place to stand on the metro in the evening and just be left alone (is that too much to ask?), when you're dealing with bratty high school/college kid tourists yelling and screaming on the metro, tossing the football, swinging from the metal poles, listening to whatever godawful country music's blazing out of their cheapass headphones for anyone within a 2 block radius to hear, who think DC is where "it's at" who've never been outside of their own state, it really sucks. So that's why I say, tourists, stay home. Nobody wants you here.

Why did I move here? $$$ and video games. A job. Not because it's pretty or it's cool. Those who live here know it sucks monkey balls.

Doth Togo said:

Fine, we'll take all that tax revenue for your city with us!

I never said I thought it was easy to live there. I just said it's possible to get around that if you try and not even think about it. It's more that I don't have such a skewed view of life and I can learn to live with the things that annoy me. At least indirectly.

At least DC doesnt have any shortage of hot sluts. But I'm sure there'll be more in SoCal. Even though I'm sick of DC, I'll be partying and drinking to my hearts content till I leave.

i heart sluts said:
At least DC doesnt have any shortage of hot sluts. But I'm sure there'll be more in SoCal. Even though I'm sick of DC, I'll be partying and drinking to my hearts content till I leave.

Speaking of hot sluts, who's the bimbo in your avatar?

Doth Togo

i heart sluts said:

IAWTP. Noob hot college chick interns and grads looking for "fun" = only redeeming factor.

AirBrian

Doth Togo said:
IAWTP. Noob hot college chick interns and grads looking for "fun" = only redeeming factor.
LOL!

What's funny is when we went to tour the Capitol, we had to go through our Congressman. I saw probably 10+ interns/new grads in the halls that were attractive.

AirBrian said:
LOL!

What's funny is when we went to tour the Capitol, we had to go through our Congressman. I saw probably 10+ interns/new grads in the halls that were attractive.

No shit, there was that one intern that kept a blog of all her "exploits" and how so many interns she knew were banging some congressman or some person who worked on the hill.

i heart sluts said:
No shit, there was that one intern that kept a blog of all her "exploits" and how so many interns she knew were banging some congressman or some person who worked on the hill.

For money and "gifts", don't forget. These chicks don't bang those old men for the hell of it.

AirBrian

i heart sluts said:
Ha, do you happen to have a link? That would be hilarious to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom