• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington State trooper catches driver using mannequin in carpool lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

I would have totally done this years ago if I'd thought about it. I get snagged the ONE time I went in the carpool lane when I was late for work and was so pissed going in to try and dispute it and end up paying the fine.

This guy was pretty smart, but sadly the cop was smarter.

A Washington State Patrol trooper who spotted a motorist violating the rules of the road is no dummy.

The eagle-eyed trooper spotted a driver attempting to outsmart the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane policy, by passing off a mannequin as a passenger.

HOV lanes are reserved for carpools, vanpools, buses, motorcycles or any vehicle carrying two or more people.

"Early this morning, a Tacoma trooper caught an HOV violator driving 81 mph with this young lady in the passenger seat," read a post on the Washington State Patrol's Facebook page, along with a photo of the lifelike violation. "In case you didn't know...this doesn't qualify for HOV lanes!"

Trooper Todd Bartolac, a public information officer with Washington State Patrol, tweeted, "Violator was ticketed for speed and the HOV violation. On the positive side they were both wearing their seat belts! #buckelup"

C44L3YGVMAArTiv.jpg
Source: abcNews

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Probably would have gotten away with it if he wasn't speeding.

Kadin

Yeah you go to all that trouble to get that done and then get caught by speeding. I wonder how long he'd been doing that without getting caught.

Gnome

I seen a guy in Seattle traffic do this with a giant teddy bear once. I hope he got caught because traffic here blows.

Joni

Marsha White, in her normal and natural state, a wooden lady with a painted face who, one month out of the year, takes on the characteristics of someone as normal and as flesh and blood as you and I. But it makes you wonder, doesn't it, just how normal are we? Just who are the people we nod our hellos to as we pass on the street? A rather good question to ask . . . particularly in the Twilight Zone.

Woah, had no idea this kind of lane was a thing in America. That's weird.

Yeah, first time driving from San Diego to LA was mind-blowing to me. Six lanes in one direction, five of which were packed with cars, and the HOV lane was almost empty. Good thing I was road tripping with two other people.

Gotta love my Autobahn here in Germany.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yeah, first time driving from San Diego to LA was mind-blowing to me. Six lanes in one direction, five of which were packed with cars, and the HOV lane was almost empty. Good thing I was road tripping with two other people.

Rub in it our faces, why don't you?

For the past few years they have been making HOV lanes toll roads but still free to 2+ vehicles.

Mohonky

I remember Top Gear many years ago talking about how rich people would register cars like Lamborghinis and Rolls Royces as Taxis so they could avoid some taxes or something. Pretty funny.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are you German? There's a stau all the time and lanes are often diverted for construction. Not to mention the speed limits in between the minor lengths of roads without speed limits.

Definitely better driving in Germany than USA, though. Still, the autobahn is far and away an idyllic driving paradise.

If you're going to do this:

(1) Don't speed. I mean, fucking DUH.

(2) Get tinted driver and passenger side windows.

(3) Don't fucking speed. I mean, how stupid can you be?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Can you imagine how embarrassing that would be? Then again someone doing something like that is probably more likely to be proudly defiant than embarrassed I suppose.

Wolfe

Someone got caught doing this years ago in the bay area, his downfall was using a dummy without legs. Cop was up on an overpass or raised walkway (can't recall exact details) and saw from above.

Edit: and yeah, speeding in western WA gets you pulled over quick. I got a ticket for 70 in the carpool lane going to work one morning when the next lane over had to have been doing 68 as I was barely passing the rest of traffic. Limit was of course 65.

Boney

Banned
Would you get a third ticket for the mannequin?

I think carpool lanes are great by encouraging less cars on the streets.

People been doing this for decades in NY, pretty hefty fine I believe for being caught as well. Then again our highways are parking lots.

I am reminded of that guy that drove around with the paperwork for some corporation in his passenger seat, as a protest against Citizens United.
His argument was, if corporations are considered people, he wasn't violating the carpool laws.

MaulerX

Not for nothing but why are they making out this cop to be so smart for spotting this? The guy was speeding and he got caught for that. That the cop obviously noticed after pulling him over for a different violation doesn't make him a smart eagle eyed trooper. The guy probably did this dozens of times without incident and if it weren't for his speeding he would have probably continued to get away with it.

benjipwns

Banned
This is why you hire a prostitute.

Because it will lead to a guy getting cleared for being falsely accused of murdering a 16 year old girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom