• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Will it be turn-based?

Also...inXile, afaik, have never made a decent game. Yes, some of the talent working there has, but you could say the same for most studios.

Should one of these kickstarter games get off the ground, I wonder what community interaction would be like. I can imagine the fans being a pain in the ass.

I thought that Hunted was a decent game. It was pretty boring and generic, but it had a rock solid framerate (which is not something that can be said about most 360/PS3 games), decent co-op, and a good soundtrack from Kevin Riepl (he also made the Gears of War 1 OST).

I never played Bard's Tale for the last gen consoles, but it has 75-76 on metacritic, so I'm assuming most considered it to be decent at least.

Other than those two, it seems that they've mostly made iOS games and other smaller titles.

In the end, I don't really care about their older games. Wasteland 2 is something that Brian Fargo has been craving for decades now. This is his dream project, and it's finally happening. The extra talent he's managed to bring on board shows that he's not fucking around.

He said this in his update: "I haven't been more excited to make a game in over a decade." This guy really wants to make this game, and I believe that he can make it happen with almost any team out there.

Spookie

As I said on Giant Bomb:

So people moan and groan how DA2 and Fallout 3 are no longer RPGs then when an opportunity presents everyone becomes Scrooge McDuck?

Fucking hypocrites. It's $15 fucking dollars.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was nodding in agreement up until the bolded part. It's nice that they're doing boxes for the higher reward tiers, but not everyone wants or needs physical media, and without DD in general, none of this would be possible.

Manuals the past ten years have been pathetic though. To the point where even for most AAA titles not only is there a piddly two-page insert, but even the jank online manual barely outlines the basic features properly so you have to go to gamefaqs to actually learn how to play the game right.

I don't really care all that much about DD vs. physical but the idea of an old-school-pc-game manual is awesome. I know this is a bit of a foreign concept to console gamers probably as console manuals have mostly always sucked (not to the degree they do now, but still).

Wasn't it vaguely akin to the various actiony RPGs on the Dark Alliance engine?
Yes, it was a tongue-in-cheek take on nu RPGs at the time. I thought the humor and gameplay were both solid. Played through the whole game.

Tobor

Manuals the past ten years have been pathetic though. To the point where even for most AAA titles not only is there a piddly two-page insert, but even the jank online manual barely outlines the basic features properly so you have to go to gamefaqs to actually learn how to play the game right.

I don't really care all that much about DD vs. physical but the idea of an old-school-pc-game manual is awesome. I know this is a bit of a foreign concept to console gamers probably as console manuals have mostly always sucked (not to the degree they do now, but still).

Yes, it was a tongue-in-cheek take on nu RPGs at the time. I thought the humor and gameplay were both solid. Played through the whole game.

I'm fine with them bringing back old school manuals as long as I get a digital copy. The point I was making is that my investment in this project is not a vote for a return to big ass boxes.

Sentenza

I was nodding in agreement up until the bolded part. It's nice that they're doing boxes for the higher reward tiers, but not everyone wants or needs physical media, and without DD in general, none of this would be possible.
I'm not turned on from physical media neither, but a different opinion about that little detail doesn't make his whole argument wrong.

Wasn't it vaguely akin to the various actiony RPGs on the Dark Alliance engine?

Yeah, it was actually a pretty good game with a lot of humor. Cary Elwes voiced the main character.

Hunted also was a decent game, but I think people just had certain expectations of what is was gonna be or should be. Was even better in co-op.

the halfway mark!!
the halfway mark!!
the halfway mark!!

who's spookie on Giantbomb?

would love pics of the:

exploded sausage
survivor pack

I chipped in for the poster so Hopefully it will as iconic as Wasteland. Maybe get someone from the Alamo drafthouse/one of them artists etc to do something amazing!

mclem

I'm fine with them bringing back old school manuals as long as I get a digital copy. The point I was making is that my investment in this project is not a vote for a return to big ass boxes.

I'm usually all for digital content, but I do have to admit that for a game sufficiently complex (and there's a good chance that this would be), a paper manual to be kept to one side for quick reference is far more useful than a .PDF on a disc somewhere.

Wonder how much of a spike there will be when it actually shows up on the website. Right now it can only be found through a direct search.

Emitan

I'm usually all for digital content, but I do have to admit that for a game sufficiently complex (and there's a good chance that this would be), a paper manual to be kept to one side for quick reference is far more useful than a .PDF on a disc somewhere.

I really hope we can just order a manual separately or something. I can't spare $50 just for that.

Tobor

If I needed it open while playing, I'd put the manual on my iPad.

RealMeat

Banned
m7V9g.jpg

Ha.

kmob

Neo Member
Invested $15. Seemed rude not too. Not strictly speaking backing just the game, but rather the idea of this genre. Also I'm really liking the whole kickstarter user backed development :)

achapel

$100 chipped in. I haven't played the first, but I love post-apocalyptic games and especially the original Fallouts. I know they aren't the same, but I loved the atmosphere as much as the gameplay.

zkylon

zkylewd
Went for 65 bucks, so I can get my big box delivered to my doorstep :)

I have high hopes for this, but even more for what it could mean for other RPG developers. I wouldn't mind Obsidian timing their Kickstarter when Wasteland's ends. That way, each month we pay 15 bucks for a game, and in a year and a half from now, we all quit our jobs and just enjoy the RPGs renaissance.

Threw down $65 (50+shipping) and it felt great! Now I know how my parents, PBS-backers they be, feel during pledge week.

Then I went and did a $10 to FTL. Such a neat little game that promises to be.

Wildesy

What you're saying makes no sense. What do you mean by something that may not even come out? If it doesn't reach the target amount, no money is taken from anyone.

I think he meant that there is still no guarantee it will actually be released even if it reaches its target.

Contributions made to a Kickstarter fund aren't really investments at all though, if anything, they are simply donations.

This is insane! Went to sleep and woke up to see people funded about half a million into the project! Faith in the world: restored.

Tim-E

I think he meant that there is still no guarantee it will actually be released even if it reaches its target.

Contributions made to a Kickstarter fund aren't really investments at all though, if anything, they are simply donations.

It's pretty much a preorder for a game that doesn't exist yet.

mclem

If I needed it open while playing, I'd put the manual on my iPad.

It's not just a case of accessing it. I find it significantly easier to cross-reference information in a paper manual (the fine art of holding a finger on one page while glancing through another!). I just find it more convenient.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
This to me is a reforendum on gaming as we know it; this project failing to be launched is akin to going back in time and assassinating Shigeru Miyamoto circa 1983. It's your duty to support this fine project!

kase23

Just pledged $65, having Mark Morgan do the music is worth the money alone to me, hell I'm feeling so happy that this is really going to be a thing that i might up my pledge to the $100 tier.

Grayman

decided to kick 65 because I like well made manuals. Hopefully the awesome people lay off kickstarters for awhile because these are going to be long waits.

The real problem in my opinion is that manuals got replaced with boring in-game tutorials.

I can see why they make sense in theory, but they usually distract from the game and don't scale to the users level or previous experience (it is only interesting to find out that you can pan by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen so many times).

I have more than once got so bored with games after playing the tutorial that I simply starting playing something else (mandatory tutorials are the worst!) only to later give them a second chance and loving them.

Give me a manual instead so I can look up if something is confusing me or otherwise let me get on with the game.

And frankly at this stage, an in-game tutorial is either redundant or an excuse for a bad UI design. (See also Windows 8).

Orayn

Definitely in for $15, might bump it up to $50 for the Stackpole novella and delicious feelies.

Go Fargo, go!

Fjordson

So Fargo's output in the last few years hasn't been all that great. I don't really distrust him, I think a project he's passionate about has a much better chance at bringing out his best effort, but which of the other guys involved should I be excited about? Anyone you guys are surprised signed on?
Two of the original Wasteland's designers, Michael Stackpole and Alan Pavlish, are on board. The guy writing the story, Jason Anderson, was one of the co-creators of Fallout. And the composer, Mark Morgan, did the music for Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Planescape: Torment.

Emitan

Definitely in for $15, might bump it up to $50 for the Stackpole novella and delicious feelies.

Go Fargo, go!

It still blows my mind Stackpole worked on games. Growing up he was just "the guy who writes my favorite star wars books"

Top Bottom