• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'll pledge tomorrow. I love Fallout.

People need to get the word out more. This more than even Double Fine seems to indicate the more money they get has a literal translation to how big the game is. Double Fine is spreading a lot of that around to platforms and voicework and pretty much everything. Not knocking them its just nice to know this project will have a direct impect.

Perkel

Banned
Why aren't people backing Crowdsourced? :(

They don't, as I said, humanity sucks.
Too bad notch doesn't seem to like guns, the custom Beretta + shooting trip with the team sounds awesome.

Well i backed both wasteland and DF kickstarter but i am not going to fund shooter game.

Beacuse:

a) IT's not kickstarter to make actual game. It's kickstarter to make preparation.
b) Budget of 3D tactical shooter in this age will skyrocket cost to xx nlm $ so there is almost no chance that he will create game with crowdfunding.
c) He didn't make any point what his game will be. Tactical shooter ok but what type ? Ghost Recon ? Rainbow six ? Seriously he should said that he worked in red storm creating rainbow six nut imstead he boast that he worked on Halo and Ghost recon.

See my point ? a) for me is crucial. I don't want to fund something that probably won't see the light.

kyubajin

I can't believe this is happening, is this the new era of gaming democracy? Has the tyranny of evil FPS-holic publishers started to fall? And more importantly, where's my Planescape Torment 2 kickstarter project!?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I can't believe this is happening, is this the new era of gaming democracy? Has the tyranny of evil FPS-holic publishers started to fall? And more importantly, where's my Planescape Torment 2 kickstarter project!?

Planescape 2 would literally crash the internet. The servers would exceed maximum powas

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Fantastic! Proud to have this be my first Kickstart Backer project.
I love old school WRPG's can't wait to see how this all works out.

duckroll

So it hit 400k in 12 hours? That's not bad at all. I wonder if they can get close to the target amount within the first 24 hours...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

I think for these to generate the kind of money Doublefine did and hopefully this does, you really have to have a proven quality of work to show that your up to the task and a passionate fan base already.

Sentenza

Quoting BuckGB at GameBanshe:

I really can't stress the importance of this campaign enough. Even if you're not convinced that Brian Fargo and team can pull it off, even if you're not a big fan of post-apocalyptic games, even if you know nothing about Wasteland and its history, this is about something bigger.

For as little as $15, you can send a message to publishers and developers that YES you still want party-based, isometric RPGs, that YES you still care about role-playing classics as much as or more than the latest shooter blockbuster, that YES you still want boxed versions of your games that include elaborate maps and thick instruction manuals, and that YES you're willing to embrace other mediums to gain access to these types of games if the traditional publishing routes aren't fulfilling your needs.

If you're tired of playing role-playing shooters, if you're tired of pressing buttons for something that's supposed to be awesome to happen, if you're tired of publishers scoffing at the prospect that the RPGs we grew up playing are not viable in the modern video game world, then tell them that they're wrong by kicking in $15 or more to Wasteland 2. Maybe, just maybe, it will help bring our favorite form of entertainment to new (and more traditional) heights in the future

Decado

Will it be turn-based?

Also...inXile, afaik, have never made a decent game. Yes, some of the talent working there has, but you could say the same for most studios.

Should one of these kickstarter games get off the ground, I wonder what community interaction would be like. I can imagine the fans being a pain in the ass.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For as little as $15, you can send a message to publishers and developers that YES you still want party-based, isometric RPGs, that YES you still care about role-playing classics as much as or more than the latest shooter blockbuster, that YES you still want boxed versions of your games that include elaborate maps and thick instruction manuals, and that YES you're willing to embrace other mediums to gain access to these types of games if the traditional publishing routes aren't fulfilling your needs.
Yes a trillion times yes to all of these.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
that's basically why I support Wasteland 2. I'm not actually super convinced that it's going to be a game that I really want to play (depends on just how old-school they want it to be, and if it's going to be a story-driven RPG)

I hope it's like Wasteland proper which really had no solid underlying story but just a bunch of random crazy locations and characters, sometimes funny sometimes freaky often both. I don't know if anyone had the survival guide but that had some cool backstory -- remember the ending of that being awesome though I don't have it onhand and can't seem to internet it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I watched the video but I wonder, is it going to be an isometric turn based setup like Fallout 1 and 2 or the really old school style of windowed encounters? If it is like Fallout 1 and 2 how odd would it be that the spiritual successors to Wasteland will the base as the spiritual successor to these games as Wasteland 2.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Im excited about this and I have absolutely no reason why. I've never played the first game.

Is it even playable these days? (Technically it may be, but has the game aged well at all?)

Also, 3 people who have donated 10k. Who the fuck can just casually throw 10k at stuff like that? I'll never understand rich people man.

DaBuddaDa

Also, 3 people who have donated 10k. Who the fuck can just casually throw 10k at stuff like that? I've never understand rich people man.

Rich people have lots of money, what else is there to understand lol? 10k for them would be like $100 for you.

I really can't stress the importance of this campaign enough. Even if you're not convinced that Brian Fargo and team can pull it off, even if you're not a big fan of post-apocalyptic games, even if you know nothing about Wasteland and its history, this is about something bigger.

If you're tired of playing role-playing shooters, if you're tired of pressing buttons for something that's supposed to be awesome to happen, if you're tired of publishers scoffing at the prospect that the RPGs we grew up playing are not viable in the modern video game world, then tell them that they're wrong by kicking in $15 or more to Wasteland 2. Maybe, just maybe, it will help bring our favorite form of entertainment to new (and more traditional) heights in the future

I just backed the project for exactly this reason. I don't know I will love this game, but I am so excited that this is happening. Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this in the future.

Ultimadrago

Well, less condescending than a number of the internet fanbase at least.

Probably going to give something later this month. Looking forward to hearing more from Brian Fargo on the project.

Tomat

Rich people have lots of money, what else is there to understand lol? 10k for them would be like $100 for you.

I know they've got money to throw around, that's fine, not criticizing them either. I just can't fathom being able to casually throw 10k at something.

duckroll

I know they've got money to throw around, that's fine, not criticizing them either. I just can't fathom being able to casually throw 10k at something.

What makes you think it is casual though? This is not an insignificant project for a lot of people, there is sentimental value as well as an actual desire to contribute to making it happen. If they can afford it and they feel motivated, it's not casually throwing money away.

Tomat

What makes you think it is casual though? This is not an insignificant project for a lot of people, there is sentimental value as well as an actual desire to contribute to making it happen. If they can afford it and they feel motivated, it's not casually throwing money away.

I guess it's just because I'm new to Kickstarters, I didn't know about them before the Tim Schafer stuff. I'm not even sure if they work. Investing $10k in something that may not even come out seems fairly casual to me.

Also, 3 people who have donated 10k. Who the fuck can just casually throw 10k at stuff like that? I've never understand rich people man.
hehe. I don't have that kind of money to throw around, but if I had I definitely would. I can completely see myself doing it too, hehe although I probably wouldn't have chosen the 10k tier regardless, I don't see the appeal in meeting these people in person. talking at them on twitter or whatever is enough, not that I even feel a need to do that.

but yeah anyway what I wanted to say was, this game is worth more to me than the entire current console generation. so yeah, I understand those people hehe.

yeah exactly.

duckroll

I guess it's just because I'm new to Kickstarters, I didn't know about them before the Tim Schafer stuff. I'm not even sure if they work. Investing $10k in something that may not even come out seems fairly casual to me.

What you're saying makes no sense. What do you mean by something that may not even come out? If it doesn't reach the target amount, no money is taken from anyone.

I watched the video but I wonder, is it going to be an isometric turn based setup like Fallout 1 and 2 or the really old school style of windowed encounters? If it is like Fallout 1 and 2 how odd would it be that the spiritual successors to Wasteland will the base as the spiritual successor to these games as Wasteland 2.
combat will definitely be more wasteland style and not fallout style yeah. think so.

Tomat

What you're saying makes no sense. What do you mean by something that may not even come out? If it doesn't reach the target amount, no money is taken from anyone.

I've never seen a publicly funded game before. It's a new concept to me, and from the sounds of it the project has a lot of hype to live up to. I get what you're saying, I guess I'm just talking about whether or not the game will actually be a quality product after it's finished. Giving $10,000 to a project like this strikes me as a big leap of faith.

I'm still skeptical on this one. I have way more trust with Double Fine and the intent of their project (and that it will be well run and good quality). This one, eh? I'm still debating whether to back it or not.

Corto

I've never seen a publicly funded game before. It's a new concept to me, and from the sounds of it the project has a lot of hype to live up to. I get what you're saying, I guess I'm just talking about whether or not the game will actually be a quality product after it's finished. Giving $10,000 to a project like this strikes me as a big leap of faith.

The size of the leap depends on the length of your legs.

Munin

I think for these to generate the kind of money Doublefine did and hopefully this does, you really have to have a proven quality of work to show that your up to the task and a passionate fan base already.

Fargo interestingly doesn't have either really. inXile have barely made anything worth mentioning so far, and the "fanbase" consists of the attempt to get people based on the Wasteland-Fallout connection.

So if they can make it, I'm pretty sure an Obsidian Kickstarter would be even more successful.

Sentenza

I'm still skeptical on this one. I have way more trust with Double Fine and the intent of their project (and that it will be well run and good quality). This one, eh? I'm still debating whether to back it or not.
Well, having to bet on the safest horse, I would bet on Double Fine cause they are very good, but also cause the kind of game they are going to make is way more simple.
But the project that Fargo is pushing is far more appealing to me.

I definitely have more interested in an old school, party based tactical RPG than in an adventure game, a genre I know quite well and I appreciate to some extent but I was never that much intro.

After all, there are plenty of low budget, indie adventures around even today, but making a compelling RPG with a decent production value is a far more challenging task that very few indie dare to attempt (and usually with biblical times, see Age of Decadence or Dead State).

Tobor

I was nodding in agreement up until the bolded part. It's nice that they're doing boxes for the higher reward tiers, but not everyone wants or needs physical media, and without DD in general, none of this would be possible.

Top Bottom