• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh... I never played Wasteland, but I loved the original Fallout games. I'll definitely put up between $50 and $100 before the deadline.

painey

I still remember getting Fallout 1 and reading the amazing instructions manual as if it were a novel. The awesome touch of it looking like a notebook, the awesome vault boy pictures, the humour.. I'll be in for $50

edit: seems some forums are collecting together in order to get a $5,000 reward and get a statue in the game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
All I can think of right now to round out the fantasy game collection would be a successor to Eye of the Beholder/Lands of Lore by the old Westwood team. They need to take the throne back from all the Japanese homages!

ArjanN

All I can think of right now to round out the fantasy game collection would be a successor to Eye of the Beholder/Lands of Lore by the old Westwood team. They need to take the throne back from all the Japanese homages!

A real Star Control 3. The developers of Star Control 2 are currently making Skylanders...

androvsky

A real Star Control 3. The developers of Star Control 2 are currently making Skylanders...

With as well as Skylanders seems to be doing, any other publisher would likely let them do a vanity project as thanks. With Activision, they're probably lucky if they get bought lunch.

Perkel

Banned
As of people wondering why there are a lot of people from poland.

in 99' or 98' don't remember now there was one big polish game mag called CDACTION and in that mag they deliver full game Fallout1 and next month Fallout2

That mag sold like 200k back then a month... Many people including me got their fallout1/2 from that mag. Also back then everyone pirated games because there weren't any alternative. Now people are older they have jobs and money and nostalgia to pay now for creating games. I personaly can ask almost any of my friends "did you played fallout ?" and 9/10 would be yeah.

EasternEurope is PC Master race land.

magic candle reboot. :)

magic_candle_story_screen.jpg

holy shit its almost @ $350k.

I didn't know about Wasteland upon release (and can't get into it now), but I loved the original Fallout games. These guys seem passionate about creating an awesome post-apoc. CRPG, so I'm in. Just pledged 50,-

I wasn't sure Amazon would accept my prepaid credit card, but it did without any hassle. I normally use Paypal for online purchases.
So anyone out there who wants to Kickstart projects but doesn't have a credit card (income requirement is higher in Europe), just get a prepaid one.

Are the Sirtech guys still around? I want another Jagged Alliance by them =(.

I am thinking 15 dollars to start, i never liked FallOut1 nor FallOut2's control system but i love turn based games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are the Sirtech guys still around? I want another Jagged Alliance by them =(.

I am thinking 15 dollars to start, i never liked FA1 nor FA2's control system but i love turn based games.

They closed up and the director and most of the game designers now work at Turbine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I didn't know about Wasteland upon release (and can't get into it now), but I loved the original Fallout games. These guys seem passionate about creating an awesome post-apoc. CRPG, so I'm in. Just pledged 50,-

I wasn't sure Amazon would accept my prepaid credit card, but it did without any hassle. I normally use Paypal for online purchases.
So anyone out there who wants to Kickstart projects but doesn't have a credit card (income requirement is higher in Europe), just get a prepaid one.

yeah cool thing about fargo is that he's been meaning to do it for a long time (even went to the trouble of acquiring wasteland rights years ago), just so happens that kickstarter is pretty much the only thing that could properly channel the fan love into a (hopefully) quality product that lives up to the name. now i'm even more glad that they didn't just try to scrap together a wasteland project earlier. i know inxile has an uneven track record (still think bard's tale is underrated though) but i think fargo has been pretty adamant about how much he respects the franchise

Tobor

With as well as Skylanders seems to be doing, any other publisher would likely let them do a vanity project as thanks. With Activision, they're probably lucky if they get bought lunch.

Are only hope, sadly, is that once Skylanders runs it's course and Activision inevitably folds the studio, Paul Reiche III will start a new studio and put something like this project together.

A true Star Control sequel would be so amazing. /sigh

volturnus

Banned
Why aren't people backing Crowdsourced? :(

This campaign aims to see if my theory that real tactical shooters aren’t dead, and that enough people want one to justify the cost of development.
They don't, as I said, humanity sucks.
Too bad notch doesn't seem to like guns, the custom Beretta + shooting trip with the team sounds awesome.

Just pledged $50 even though I've never played the original. It spawned Fallout and that is enough for me. The cloth map and instruction book sounds too cool to pass up on especially considering how the booklet was used in conjunction with the first game.

Violet_0

Banned
hm, so after reading a bit about Badlands, I think a lot of people who are expecting something more akin to Fallout are in for a surprise.

scitek

So Fargo's output in the last few years hasn't been all that great. I don't really distrust him, I think a project he's passionate about has a much better chance at bringing out his best effort, but which of the other guys involved should I be excited about? Anyone you guys are surprised signed on?

Why aren't people backing Crowdsourced? :( They don't, as I said, humanity sucks.
Too bad notch doesn't seem to like guns, the custom Beretta + shooting trip with the team sounds awesome.
because I don't believe in that project at all. also he doesn't really talk about plans for that game enough, I mean specifics. if he's going to just make another graw he can fuck off.

hm, so after reading a bit about Badlands, I think a lot of people who are expecting something more akin to Fallout are in for a surprise.
badlands? you mean the racing game? super sprint with guns :drool hehe

Just sent Benjamin and Grant to Kickstarter camp. I've never played Wasteland but have known about it since I played the first two Fallout games back in 97/98. I'm going to find a way to play it before part 2 comes out.

Ventrue

So Fargo's output in the last few years hasn't been all that great. I don't really distrust him, I think a project he's passionate about has a much better chance at bringing out his best effort, but which of the other guys involved should I be excited about? Anyone you guys are surprised signed on?

Jason Anderson was a big Black Isle/Troika guy.

A Tim Schafer project made more than 1 million in 24hs and Wasteland 2 is still at 282k? Humanity sucks.

Dude, chill out. You sound really childish. It hasn't even been a full day and they're over 1/3 toward their goal. It will undoubtedly be funded at this rate. I think humanity is pretty awesome; there are enough people to actually make this happen! I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised. Plus, I don't think his name quite has the recognition of Tim Schafer.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why aren't people backing Crowdsourced? :(

It's a military shooter. There are billions of them already. Sure it'll be "hardcore" but he doesn't really go into any specifics as to what that really means in regards to his game.

Plus his resume of Ghost Recon 2, GRAW 1/2 and Halo Reach doesn't exactly inspire confidence. At least Fargo was directly or indirectly involved in some of the greatest RPG's of all time and Tim Schafer is Tim fucking Schafer.

So it's no surprise that the shooter thing isn't taking off.

considering how much Gary Whitta said he loved Wasteland; I haven't seen him post here or on twitter to his sizable followers and that makes me want to punch him in the face.

I'm calling you out Gary whitta.

volturnus

Banned
Dude, chill out. You sound really childish. It hasn't even been a full day and they're over 1/3 toward their goal. It will undoubtedly be funded at this rate. I think humanity is pretty awesome; there are enough people to actually make this happen! I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised. Plus, I don't think his name quite has the recognition of Tim Schafer.
I'm cool, I saw ''humanity sucks'' on the ME3 spoiler thread and thought it was an interesting critique, it's a funny and unusual way to criticize the masses' behaviour.
Wasteland 2 is doing well indeed, but I truly believe Allen's game deserves more attention than this. People talk about dying genres, but what about tactital shooters?
Christian Allen didn't that much of a frontman role like Tim Schafer had in his games, but judging by his previous positions in the respective studios and what he says in interviews, there's plenty of quality to his input.
Um. I don't think it's actually intended to be *named* "Crowdsourced".

Anyhow: Stumped up the same figure as I did for DFA. Best of luck to them, although I'm more nervous about this than I was about DFA.
I know, but I have no idea what to call it lol
CHTS perhaps?

Top Bottom