• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

mclem

I'm disappointed in Europe though, I was expecting a much larger bump overnight. Hardcore RPG's are their bread and butter.
Many of us would have donated yesterday, perhaps before you awoke. Don't forget that it went up in the US night so we pretty much had most of a waking day before you guys first joined in.

btw re: europe. I'm AUS based and I was quick to jump on this when I found out. Really want a sequel. I have amazing memories of wasteland in my head. And I played through it multiple times too.

BF needs to update the KS page but I'm sure he will. TS updated the DFA KS page numerous times through the campaign. I just want it funded already knowing that at least; we WILL get the sequel.

The fact that its not there yet. :(

Yup. And besides, shipping outside of the US costs $15 extra. If they ever put it on Steam, it will sell a ton in Germany and Russia (they're both PC land).

There is only shipping for the physical rewards, which are at $50 or more. This game will be on Steam. You can choose to get a Steam key.

EDIT: $600k!

Maxrunner

I will give this 65$ for the phisical copy. Also i just received the double fine mail saying i will get the tshirt too....but i only gave 45$ :p

Owensboro

God, I'm so incredibly tempted to up my donation to $50 just to get the Boxed Copy.... but I rarely spend $50 on any new game nowadays. Holy crap I miss old PC pack ins. An Actual manual? A cloth map? Oh man.

Decisions decisions. I wish we could see what they look like before we "pre-order", but I understand that's a limitation of using Kickstarter in the first place.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Where does it say Steam? They will have my $15.

In the FAQ at the bottom of the page:

Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?

Absolutely. The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods.

Amazing that, in less than twenty-four hours, they've almost reached minimum funding. Double Fine's success really has led the way for others to offer stuff that won't get made otherwise.

In the FAQ at the bottom of the page:

Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?

Absolutely. The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods.

Thanks. Backed it even though I never played the original.

They really should put the Steam download in the reward tier description. It is a selling point for alot of people.

https://twitter.com/#!/garywhitta

still nowhere on this wasteland2 thing. :mad:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/as-double-fines-kickstarter-nears-an-end-wasteland-2s-begins/4031/

I was 2 when the first one came out. No connection, no money.

Brian Fargo is not Tim Schafer. Money stays in my wallet this time.

Yeah, sorry but this is going to fall flat on its face. You're not Double Fine, inXile. Also, your name is dumb.

(i hated fallout 1 and 2)

My hypothesis: Fargo smells like failure to people who actually care about getting a tangible return on their money. But Kickstarter gave him an opportunity to take his quack show to a fresh, gullible audience that wants to believe.

Dregs!

mclem

Amazing that, in less than twenty-four hours, they've almost reached minimum funding. Double Fine's success really has led the way for others to offer stuff that won't get made otherwise.

It's been more than 24 hours, and they're only two thirds of the way there. This is great, but let's not overstate things!

It does strike me that the hardest part of a Kickstarter has to be picking the right figure for funding. It needs to be low enough that it seems like a realistic goal, but high enough that you can actually make the damn thing. I thought $900k was too much for the initial pitch, but clearly not!

Anyone know what the highest 'minimum target' that was successfully reached was? I know there's that millionaire's MMO (with a clear lack of understanding of what makes a game!) that's asking for more than this...but if that hits its target, there's something rather wrong with the world!

mclem

Can you activate the phyisical copy in steam???
Don't know, but it doesn't matter:

Due to popular demand, the $50 pledge for the Large Box Copy now also comes with a Digial Download copy of the game. We understand the collector mindset!

(Buried in the FAQ)

Doesn't it say you get all previous tiers? So even it the physical copy isn't Steamworks, you still get a digital one that would be. You could even keep the box copy sealed.
Actually, it says everything *but* that:
Full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2, complete with worn cloth game map and old school instruction book. Also features the digital soundtrack and digital concept art book from previous award. Also receive an early release episodic Novella (Part 1) on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game.

I assume they've just omitted updating the tier text after the change.

@mclem. I actually think 1million is low (its 900k+100k of BF's own money) but hopefully; if BF is right and he has been pitching W2; then he has already established ideas on what to do with the franchsie+ideas+plot so a lot of the ground work is out of the way; Its a month off; but I think its safe he should start looking at getting the project started already as of now. Hopefully W2 isn't just a name but an idea with firm roots on how to deliver.

would also love to see a old school Bard's tale outside the need to "comedise" it for market. The original was amazing too. When they showed off the PS2 version; it was like "eeugh" - still haven't bought it on IOS although apparently that has been updated to include the old game

It's been more than 24 hours, and they're only two thirds of the way there. This is great, but let's not overstate things!

Oh, no, I don't think I did. It really is an amazing performance considering the age of the property and the specific form and vintage of the genre it seeks to remake. This thing has done phenomenally well. Maybe not even close to the DF project, but who really expected it to?

mclem

Oh, no, I don't think I did. It' really is an amazing performance considering the age of the property and the specific form and vintage of the genre it seeks to remake. This thing has done phenomenally well. Maybe not even close to the DF project, but who really expected it to?

Definitely not going to dispute that statement!

Maxrunner

Don't know, but it doesn't matter:

(Buried in the FAQ)

Actually, it says everything *but* that:

I assume they've just omitted updating the tier text after the change.

Doesnt make much sense if the digital copy included cannot be activated with steamworks...

Oh, no, I don't think I did. It really is an amazing performance considering the age of the property and the specific form and vintage of the genre it seeks to remake. This thing has done phenomenally well. Maybe not even close to the DF project, but who really expected it to?

yup. When I first clicked on the KS page and saw 900k. I was like "you have got to be kidding me". The fact its 2/3rd of the way there is ... pretty fucking amazing. For Wasteland. A title that most gamers alive today would probably never have even heard of.

what was the screens back then? SVGA? I can't even remember!

Hopefully it's understood that these fanfunded projects are going to have the weight of 10,000 suns upon them in quality expectations.

At the same time, people need to realize that if you're really letting a design team loose with their ideas without the constraints of publisher marketing pressures, you've got to deal with the choices they make.

You'd better be prepared to be lost in denial or anger for a month after dumping $1000 into a project that turns out completely opposite to what you hoped.

Acosta

At the same time, people need to realize that if you're really letting a design team loose with their ideas without the constraints of publisher marketing pressures, you've got to deal with the choices they make.

That's the point of all this. Nobody who wants this gives a fuck about publishers/marketing vision of what a game should be or should have.

Saroyan

yup. When I first clicked on the KS page and saw 900k. I was like "you have got to be kidding me". The fact its 2/3rd of the way there is ... pretty fucking amazing. For Wasteland. A title that most gamers alive today would probably never have even heard of.

what was the screens back then? SVGA? I can't even remember!

In 88? I know our family pc that I played games on had a 4 color CGA screen. I was drooling over screenshots in magazines that had EGA graphics hehe. My parents upgraded our pc when the 486 DX2 cpus came out, whenever that was, and we got a 15" VGA monitor which was a pretty huge upgrade.

Hopefully it's understood that these fanfunded projects are going to have the weight of 10,000 suns upon them in quality expectations.

You'd better be prepared to be lost in denial or anger for a month after dumping $1000 into a project that turns out completely opposite to what you hoped.

well, wasteland aside; they also did fallout 1+2 so with any luck; they can shape this the right way.

pretty talented bunch of people with proven track record. Inxile is the wildcard.

$610k. since I updated that it hit $600. should be 700 in a couple of hours. :)

In 88? I know our family pc that I played games on had a 4 color CGA screen. I was drooling over screenshots in magazines that had EGA graphics hehe. My parents upgraded our pc when the 486 DX2 cpus came out, whenever that was, and we got a 15" VGA monitor which was a pretty huge upgrade.

lol

could be EGA. so VGA probably. I can't remember. Yonks. Kids these days with their smartphone screens+ipads.

I hate to go there again, but part of me wonders how Mega Man Legends 3 would have fared if this Kickstarter trend had happened 2 years ago and been proven an effective option for producing niche titles.

Part of me is worried that soon some publisher might get savvy and will try to hold a sequel hostage to get Kickstarter money. :p

Sadly, you won't get a digital copy with the regular boxed copy. To get a boxed copy AND a digital copy, you have to pledge $100.

PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
1415 BACKERS
Previous reward + COLLECTOR'S EDITION PREMIUM BOXED VERSION which of course contains map and instruction book. But additionally comes with Wasteland miniature, Wasteland 2 faction badge. Also get your name in the credits in a special thanks section. The premium box replaces the standard box but also comes with a digital copy of the game.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the boxed copy won't have a Steam redeem code in the box.

I hate to go there again, but part of me wonders how Mega Man Legends 3 would have fared if this Kickstarter trend had happened 2 years ago and been proven an effective option for producing niche titles.

Part of me is worried that soon some publisher might get savvy and will try to hold a sequel hostage to get Kickstarter money. :p

If that's going to be a 3D game, then it can't be made on just a million budget. That would not work for a Kickstarter, these all have been less graphically intensive games.

Saroyan

Sadly, you won't get a digital version with the regular boxed copy. To get a boxed copy AND a digital version, you have to pledge $100.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the boxed copy won't have a Steam redeem code in the box.

From the FAQ

I am a collector, can I get a digital copy with my Large Box Copy so I don't have to open the box?

Due to popular demand, the $50 pledge for the Large Box Copy now also comes with a Digial Download copy of the game. We understand the collector mindset!
Last updated: Tuesday Mar 13, 12:54pm EDT

Acosta

So what?

Frankly, I hear this "what if publishers profit of this?" a lot of times and I don't understand what is wrong about it.

If Capcom wants to put Legends 3 and people back them, great. Is their money, they want that to happen, that grants it. Capcom is happy, users are happy, and the only ones left crying are those who think that for some weird moral reason an established company has no right to use this to fund a considered risky project.

I'm sure many fans would prefer to pay in advance for Legends 3 to the alternative of it not happening at all. If they are enough of them to back that for Capcom, awesome, great for everyone.

That's the point of all this. Nobody who wants this gives a fuck about publishers/marketing vision of what a game should be or should have.

So what?

Frankly, I hear this "what if publishers profit of this?" a lot of times and I don't understand what is wrong about it.

If Capcom wants to put Legends 3 and people back them, great. Is their money, they want that to happen, that grants it. Capcom is happy, users are happy, and the only ones left crying are those who think that for some weird moral reason an established company has no right to use this to fund a considered risky project.

I'm sure many fans would prefer to pay in advance for Legends 3 to the alternative of it not happening at all. If they are enough of them to back that for Capcom, awesome, great for everyone.

It certainly is exciting for anyone who has ever been a fan and watched a series they loved turn into committee-driven garbage or be abandoned completely.

It's great to get in on the ground floor of things like this, before we all know how it plays out and anything seems possible.

DaBuddaDa

$610k. since I updated that it hit $600. should be 700 in a couple of hours. :)

If it continues at the same average pace it has since starting, it will reach $900,000 in a little less than 12 hours from now if my math is correct. These things have a way of slowing down over time though, so I expect them to reach their goal by maybe the end of the day tomorrow.

From the FAQ

I am a collector, can I get a digital copy with my Large Box Copy so I don't have to open the box?

Last updated: Tuesday Mar 13, 12:54pm EDT

Nice, thanks.

Top Bottom