• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Emitan

iPNTM8mw6rC42.png

Magilla

Banned
Remember they really only need to hit 800k for the project to be funded as Fargo said he would kick in the last 100k if necessary. I don't doubt that it will make it anyway.

Perkel

Banned
it's 20-21 in europe so it's best time for funding and it shows. from 8 to 15 was like 560k now it's almost 700k abd it's few k$ every few minutes.

Fargo tweeted that he will make another video shortly.

nubbe

Funding is rapid.

They don't have the name recognition like the god-kings of adventure games Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert

DaBuddaDa

If from here on out this only gains on average $1000 every hour (it's wayyyy ahead of that pace still), it will be fully funded about 8 days from now. There are 33 days to go.

Wasteland 2, baby!

Zeliard

If from here on out this only gains on average $1000 every hour (it's wayyyy ahead of that pace still), it will be fully funded about 8 days from now. There are 33 days to go.

Wasteland 2, baby!

Don't forget about that bump that Kickstarters seem to get when they near the end.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm surprised that they haven't put it up on GOG (now would be a great time to do so), or offered it as a free download at the 10 - 15 dollar pledge range.

they can't

Matt ‏

@BrianFargo Speaking of #wasteland stuff - have you considered/can you GoG the original Wasteland? Too many of my friends are clueless. :(

Brian Fargo ‏

@sanspants I would if I could....

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
To everyone who has donated, thank you for helping make gaming great again. And to those who haven't yet, or are still on the fence, what are you waiting for! :)

Haven't felt this good about gaming in a long, long time.

DaBuddaDa

Oh that's a shame. Are the publishing rights to the first game owned by somebody else? Like EA? Or whatever's left of Interplay?

Ironically, the guy who founded the publishing company that published Wasteland (Interplay), who designed the game and now owns the Wasteland IP cannot release Wasteland on GoG.

It must be a morass of horrible legal grossness.

sTeLioSco

Banned
To everyone who has donated, thank you for helping make gaming great again. And to those who haven't yet, or are still on the fence, what are you waiting for! :)

Haven't felt this good about gaming in a long, long time.

amazing opportunity for the community to fund games that couldn't be made otherwise in the age of shooterization.....

seeing the "ending" to the "rpg" me3 after shooting more aliens than halo i will back it and hope this reaches 1.5mil to be as big as it can.

bengraven

I will put my money down for this, I swear. Just give me a bit to think.

Fuck me, my dad owes Broderbund and Maxis a shit ton of money then. When my dad got his first computer in 1994 - 1996 all our PC games were pirated. haha

Is there any place to get the original wasteland?

Isn't it...free? I swore it was abandonware. I think your best bet for giving the real creators your money would be to put it towards this and get the abandonware version. :p

scitek

BrianFargo said:
Still amazing to me that I have this incredible support from all my developer friends and zero from publishers for this Kickstarter.

Well your portrayal of publishers in your video didn't really help things, Brian. Just sayin'.

Emitan

I will put my money down for this, I swear. Just give me a bit to think.

Fuck me, my dad owes Broderbund and Maxis a shit ton of money then. When my dad got his first computer in 1994 - 1996 all our PC games were pirated. haha

Isn't it...free? I swore it was abandonware. I think your best bet for giving the real creators your money would be to put it towards this and get the abandonware version. :p

I'm not really sure of the legality of it. EviLore already deleted one post that was linking to the game, so I wouldn't really encourage people to go download it.

Oh that's a shame. Are the publishing rights to the first game owned by somebody else? Like EA? Or whatever's left of Interplay?

That's right, I'm pretty sure that it's EA that is the problem here. Interplay wasn't quite a publisher yet in 1988, EA published the game. Brian Fargo bought rights to make a new Wasteland game a few years back, from whoever had those rights, but EA still has rights to the original title.

Well your portrayal of publishers in your video didn't really help things, Brian. Just sayin'.
He was only depicting reality, tragically.

well Tim Schaffer and Ron Gilbert are probably half way to mexico by now so Fargo is just waiting $1 mil of funding and then he's cutting his losses and is out of here ;)

CFMOORE!

I agree that he comes off very arrogant. I guess I just care more about the principal...

he doesn't come off as arrogant to me. his portrayal of publishers is spot on. good luck trying to get them to even hear a pitch about an old school throw back RPG game, let alone a sequel to a game nearly a quarter of a century old.

his credits could easily land him a game deal, but the publishers will push for some FPS crap and make them compromise on their vision, this is guaranteed.

scitek

He was only depicting reality, tragically.

I know, I thought it was funny, personally. Just saying I wouldn't expect any support from publishers at this point, especially after that video lol

I agree that he comes off very arrogant. I guess I just care more about the principal...

Nah, he seems like a nice enough guy. He's just clearly frustrated by the way things have gone the past 20 years. I'm happy Kickstarter exists and he and his buddies will get to make a game they're passionate about again.

robin2

I'd say the video is parodic, and it is no "shocking news" that publishers are not very attentive toward niche titles. I really can't believe that someone could be sorta offended by this.

I know, I thought it was funny, personally. Just saying I wouldn't expect any support from publishers at this point, especially after that video lol
Um, you do know that the whole point behind the video, and this kickstarter campaign, is that he couldn't get any publishers to support the project, right? Your complaint makes no sense.

Nah, he seems like a nice enough guy. He's just clearly frustrated by the way things have gone the past 20 years. I'm happy Kickstarter exists and he and his buddies will get to make a game they're passionate about again.

Yeah, agreed. He's said that he's more excited about this than anything he's done for the past 10 years, which is easy to see when you consider that it's a bit over 10 years ago that he was forced out of Interplay (thanks to Herve Caen of course)...

sTeLioSco

Banned

why don't you go and pitch a turn-based rpg or point and click adventure to Activision and film it?

and then we will see if the video is too much....

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You've gotta give it up to Fargo, throwing in 100K and not taking any money from this (as stated, all money going to developing). Points to this being a huge labor of love.

Meier

I'd say the video is parodic, and it is no "shocking news" that publishers are not very attentive toward niche titles. I really can't believe that someone could be sorta offended by this.

The only thing offensive about the video was his choice of clothing. Dat t-shirt...

Clydefrog

I work about a mile away from these guys. I'll definitely send some money in (but can't possibly send enough for that dinner)

good luck, inxile!

Top Bottom