• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll donate if they add in a third person cover system and health regeneration.

dejan

BrianFargo@Twitter said:
In other great news we have brought another original #wasteland designer aboard. Liz Danforth. The Hidepool map was one of hers.

She was also the Lead Designer on this little gem:

1178671510-001vfvo.jpg

I think this has to be one of the first if not the first (I'm probably forgetting some SSI game right now) rpg I played on the pc.

Alucrid

Banned
Never played wasteland, like fallout, am cautiously optimistic / curiously skeptical about kickstarter projects. Will contribute though.

After watching the video on Kickstarter, I was convinced to toss in $15. I never played this type of game, so I'm hoping for the best from it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fine whatever I'll back it like I give a shit.

Do we know if the plan is to use an isometric or top-down camera?

They have kept reiterating that it will follow Wasteland 1 and go top-down...presumably to simplify the needs for animation and art work while retaining the familiar grid for movement and map design. Personally, I prefer it this way just because isometric generally looks kinda wonky for 2D when you see how the pathfinding through those hexes/cells makes simple movements across decent chunks of the map look awkward and seem like you're wasting time traversing extra spaces (when you're actually not).

gabbo

Just over a day and they're at 600k? Yeah i'd say this'll make it to the goal.
I didn't jump at DF's, but I may jump at this, simply because I'm starting to enjoy RPG's a bit more these days
LOL@ mods trolling

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just over a day and they're at 600k? Yeah i'd say this'll make it to the goal.
I didn't jump at DF's, but I may jump at this, simply because I'm starting to enjoy RPG's a bit more these days
LOL@ mods trolling

Yep.

Oh and another lol from the russian How to page:

Great tagline.

Talyn

I kicked in $100 and for a guy that refuses to buy most games unless they're on sale that's a pretty big commitment but I can't resist helping in some small way to see this guy's dream project come to fruition. Plus I've tried to play the original Wasteland and man, it's ancient, so frankly I'll pretty much be happy if all we get is a semi-remake with a modern UI and graphics/sound. (I'm talking Fallout 1/2 levels here, which I suppose isn't really that modern but in this case is miles ahead of Wasteland in playability.)

They have kept reiterating that it will follow Wasteland 1 and go top-down...presumably to simplify the needs for animation and art work while retaining the familiar grid for movement and map design. Personally, I prefer it this way just because isometric generally looks kinda wonky for 2D when you see how the pathfinding through those hexes/cells makes simple movements across decent chunks of the map look awkward and seem like you're wasting time traversing extra spaces (when you're actually not).

I wouldn't take the "top-down" comment to mean much more than actually "the camera will be high up" meaning that there's a chance it could be isometric (OR CAVALIER OBLIQUE :p) instead. They'll probably finalize this and some other basic choices after listening to the fans/backers' input.

I wouldn't take the "top-down" comment to mean much more than actually "the camera will be high up" meaning that there's a chance it could be isometric (OR CAVALIER OBLIQUE :p) instead. They'll probably finalize this and some other basic choices after listening to the fans/backers' input.

Yeah, it's true that it could change. Cavalier oblique? Fallout 1&2-style? I guess, but I'd rather have the simple grid WL1 used mainly because it's easier to be precise in the spaces traveled in locations where random battles can occur. The two iso Fallout titles didn't have random battles in locations but only in the world map. Also, I'd love to see the large scale map or world map in WL2 follow Fallout 1 & 2 but allow animations and movements to conform to pathways and correctly traverse geographical features depicted on the tiles...even if we're viewing the world from a pseudo-satellite image and little dots represent each party member.

Wiktor

Isn't this actually a screenshot? Or at least an artwork suggesting how it will look ingame?

Banner05.jpg

Looks like 3d with camera high up, bassically what van buren was

vanburen_1.jpg

Isn't this actually a screenshot? Or at least an artwork suggesting how it will look ingame?

Banner05.jpg

Looks like 3d with camera high up, bassically what van buren was

vanburen_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure they haven't started working on things like assets or a prototype yet and that design is still in a flux because they want to hear the fans' opinions on the high-level elements and what they value. After a successful funding they should do 5/6 months of pre-production work to make sure they have their plan all set and development goes smooth, or so was the word from the Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview.

As for that image.. I honestly don't know? Might be just a mock-up or a piece of artwork.

He means the background of the Fan Fund Wasteland 2 banner.
I know it won't be, but I really wish this game was sprite based.

Of course! I'm an idiot. It does look like hastily assembled art work.

Now the art work that Fargo's been showing us from the people he's recruited, that stuff looks very impressive.

This is unfortuantly moving alot slower than I expected. Wasn't Schafer's game already at the $1.5 mil mark by now?

It was slower than DF's Kickstarter since the beginning though. Not surprising considering the kind of goodwill Tim Schafer generates almost by himself alone. That said, even if it doesn't generate the same kind of money, I don't think there's any reason to be worried about it getting funded.

Zeliard

They're only around 200k from their initial goal in a little over a day. Don't think it's a cause for hand-wringing. It's moving at a nice enough clip. Can't expect everything to be the juggernaut that Double Fine's Kickstarter was. We may end up finding that it was unique in that respect.

Perkel

Banned

If they will look at their own idea of goodle moderator ideas it will be isometric.

Also on last GDC with tim cain fallout post-mortem there were some fine things:

-Cost of making fallout 1 was estimated by TIM as 3mln$ but it must be known also that Fallout 1 development wasn't normal. It wasn't even a post nuclear game 6-10 months in production.
-Isometric wasn't truly isometric. it had 30 not 45 degree. (better for hex and level design)
-Game was almost 2 times canned. One ehn they lost license to GURPS and he rewrote it in two weeks with chris tylor, that's when SPECIAL was created and when Interplay got D&D license they wanted to relocate people to "bigger" projects, Tim begged Fargo to not axe it. And he gave Tim green light because he liked it much
- Perks were originaly created in 2 days (awasome pace) because Fargo thought that skill system need something more
- Game was supposed to be named Vault 13. Weeks before release Tim gave Fargo to play game. Fargo said to Tim they should name it Fallout and Tim loved that name.

Oh and game couldn't get win95 certificate for a long time since game worked with windows NT. Hilarious.

AkuMifune

Banned
Funded. Happy to support projects I believe in, or at least their efforts, regardless of the outcome.

Now go make me something cool!

Top Bottom