• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sorry, I meant Wasteland in the 2nd part of my statement.

On another note, someone finally bit the bullet and pledged the $2500 level! But the goodies have changed for that level, so that's why.

What has been changed?

By founding interplay and funding some of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had in my life (Fallouts, Infinity Engine series, Freespace, Descent, and on and on) he is directly responsible for hundreds if not thousands of hours of joy in my life.

I question the use of the word "directly" in this sentence.

Zeliard

What has been changed?

This part is totally new:

"You get to place a personalized collectible artifact in our world and write its backstory! It could be anything from an engagement ring to a teddy bear. We will have 200 of these rare and semi rare items that can be found throughout the Wasteland 2 world. When collected, all players will learn about the personal touch that you added to the world."

That's actually pretty neat, heh. Good on them to change it up. Now let's see what they can get from it.

dude

dude
Completely agree. The girl holding the stop sign is miles ahead of any current design. Reminds me of the girl in new Naughty Dog game.

The one holding the sword? Ugh no.

I like how genuinely scared she looks. They really look like they want to avoid this fight in the old art - It gives you a real sense of the danger.

In the new one it's like they're waiting to jump on it and shoot it like a bunch of superheros... Ugh.

I question the use of the word "directly" in this sentence.
Almost every title Interplay published in the 90's was pure gold. Producing and funding so many excellent games required the man to know what he's doing.

On another note, someone finally bit the bullet and pledged the $2500 level! But the goodies have changed for that level, so that's why.
It's now a much more interesting tier.
WL2 KS $2.5k tier rewards said:
You get to place a personalized collectible artifact in our world and write its backstory! It could be anything from an engagement ring to a teddy bear. We will have 200 of these rare and semi rare items that can be found throughout the Wasteland 2 world. When collected, all players will learn about the personal touch that you added to the world. You'll also receive a signed Collector's Edition, boxed version and 10 digital copies of the game to do what you'd like with, in addition to a lv4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible. (This does not include NPC/Weapon/Location as well)

I want more $1k slots, damn it.

akira28

You were trying to hook up with the girl in the wheelchair? Did she use her rockets on you? I've never tried CHA/CHR on her before in all my playthroughs.

Yes. I was 10.So I probably missed the detail about the wheelchair, or glossed over it. I just remember trying UQTU after I opened the door with a crowbar, and that not working. She probably did kill me with rockets. Eventually I did give her the right code though. I had a whole narrative going on in my head that slightly differed from the game.

To your first question - no. Not even close. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Fallout 1, but it was, to me, quite, quite different from Wasteland. I much prefer Wasteland's setting and atmosphere over Fallout's.

Brian Fargo didn't have much creative input into Fallout actually. He was more the studio boss during the time. Unlike with Fallout, which he did have direct design input into.

I'm pretty sure that it was Brian Fargo who came up with SPECIAL and perks, among other things. He was definitely involved in designing Fallout.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure that it was Brian Fargo who came up with SPECIAL and perks, among other things. He was definitely involved in designing Fallout.
I can't remember who did who, but I think Tim Cain said at his GDC Fallout Post-Mortem that Chris Taylor had invented it, but he had arranged it as weird acronym like LIACPES or something like that. I think Fargo saw that and suggested rearranging it so its spelled SPECIAL.

Emitan

I can't remember who did who, but I think Tim Cain said at his GDC Fallout Post-Mortem that Chris Taylor had invented it, but he had arranged it as weird acronym like LIACPES or something like that. I think Fargo saw that and suggested rearranging it so its spelled SPECIAL.

ACELIPS!

Ah, yes. But I definitely remember something about Fargo coming up with perks because he felt there was something missing.

zkylon

zkylewd
That was it! Easier to pronounce than LIACPES, even :p

Ah, yes. But I definitely remember something about Fargo coming up with perks because he felt there was something missing.
Yeah, he also came up with the Fallout name, apparently. Sounds pretty hands-on for a CEO.

Btw here's Tim Cain's GDC 2012 presentation on Fallout for anyone who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4
Great watch for any Fallout fan. Lots of surprising stuff in there (though I'm a little worried about Tim's knowledge of evolution theory :p)

Has this Gamer Zone interview with Brian Fargo been posted yet?

GZ: How would you pitch Wasteland 2 to players that never heard of Wasteland, what can they expect, and why should everyone play this?

Brian Fargo: If you go back to Wizardry, Bard's Tale days and other classic role playing games, you control a party of characters. The part of the fun is the mix right? If it was a medieval setting, it was the Thief, the Warrior, a Spellcaster and you find your right combination, mixing and matching combinations, that's a lot of fun, and there is a lot of tactics you can do with that, and bringing that kind of game, is fun. On top of that, some of the role playing games today have become fairly pretentious, and ours is not, ours is 'you play it the way you want' and so we don't set any kind of morality on anything you do and there is no clear cut way to handle things. And often when you try to do things right, you end up getting yourself in a situation going from bad to worse, and we just put you in these uncomfortable situations where you just couldn't help it. NPC's that join your group have a mind of their own, so you have some control over them, but if they want to steal from you, or empty a clip, or maybe they have a vendetta against bikers and open fire when you didn't want them to, then you have to deal with the consequences. All these kinds of dynamics are interesting, and what made Wasteland fun was the system, making the story and experience work, but it's what happens within the rules that makes it interesting. If NPC's go through all the clips which are really hard to find, you find yourself screaming at them, and you can't get that kind of emotional reaction from the writing, you get it from the system.

I really think they should round up everyone from the team behind WL1. I'd love to read about its development in more detail than previously written.

Also, saw this nice image posted (and made?) by Rick Lion at NMA.
iNCqHCKtCnk44.jpg

Almighty

I have been keeping an eye on this and I am strangely excited.

Not so much for a new Wasteland itself though as i never played the first one.(was only 3 when it came out) More excited that if this works it will set a precedent to allow us gamers to fund if we have to more games that we want to play that just don't get made anymore. Hopefully it will also show publishers that there is money to be made in genres they long thought were dead and pry open their wallets a little to make games in them. As a fan of older more complex RPGs that would be the greatest thing that could come from this.

Now it's time for me to scrape together 15 bucks myself to put towards this.

bengraven

So turned based as in Fallout style turned based?

Not "push space to pause and plan your turn while everything is still running in hyperactive real time"?

dude

dude

Not "push space to pause and plan your turn while everything is still running in hyperactive real time"?

I will never understand how hating on rtwp is possible... But yeah, this is going to have real turned based combat.

Who knows how it'll be structured until they say so. WL1 is technically phase-based, where all actions of the party are chosen at once in the first phase and when confirmed, the second phase, or execution part of the round is where the results are played out. Fallout is a true turn-based game, where each action resolves the moment you choose to do it, changing the combat to something that breaks up actions into smaller bites for the player to back out of or change up tactics in mid-round. It's kind of like the difference between the Phantasy Star series and many classic Final Fantasy games.

Almighty

I wouldn't be surprised to see it breach 2 million.

My guess is it will end up under 2 million. By comparsion, the Doublefine kickstarter reached 3.3 million, but, well, that was Doublefine.

About 1.8 million at the end.

Cool. If it hits that should be enough for them to make a good old school RPG.

On a side note I didn't even know Double Fine did a Kickstarter until people mentioned it when talking about this one. So its pretty cool that old school adventure fans will be getting an adventure game from them. My brother will be happy when i tell him.(if he doesn't already know)

I like this a lot, but mainly because it's very Fallout-y, and because I love the original Wasteland font.
I think it actually looks more Wasteland-y, plus it's a total complement to the orange of the original. Also, I want to be able to adopt or own dogs for added perception checks/a free NPC-styled combat maneuver per turn at the cost of feeding it food items every few days (or letting it chow down on slain biological enemies). If you don't feed it, intra-party combat time! If you spend skill points at the right library, a Ranger with the requisite IQ level can choose to learn Dog Training and make it a fully-fledged fifth Ranger that allows full control and new commands, like toggle-able free roam mode where the AI determines how the dog shadows the group (tracking/pathing behavior on the map cells), ahead or behind or in the middle. Maybe it might be able to sniff stuff out, like secret items stashes automatically (ala Fallout's dog commands to search for items) or, at least, push out the range for perception checks to see and avoid or choose how to tackle detected but still-unaware enemies. This dog would be with you until death or dismissal...or the death of the Ranger PC who trained it.

DiscoJer

Fallout was originally going to use GURPs, but SJG decided to terminate the license when the game was well underway

http://rpggeek.com/thread/471383/fallout-a-gurps-post-nuclear-adventure

The SPECIAL and the perk system is very much like GURPs, they did a little bit more than file off the numbers, so to speak, but not that much more.

Someone saved the Fallout site from before the changeover.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/official/gurps/index.html

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think it actually looks more Wasteland-y, plus it's a total complement to the orange of the original. Also, I want to be able to adopt or own dogs for added perception checks/a free NPC-styled combat maneuver per turn at the cost of feeding it food items every few days (or letting it chow down on slain biological enemies). If you don't feed it, intra-party combat time, bitches! If you spend skill points at the right library, you can learn Dog Training and make it a fully-fledged fifth Ranger that allows full control and new commands, like toggle-able free roam mode where the AI determines how the dog shadows the group (tracking/pathing behavior on the map cells), ahead or behind or in the middle. Maybe it might be able to sniff stuff out secrets or items automatically (ala Fallout's dog commands to search for items) or, at least, push out the range for perception checks to see and avoid or choose how to tackle detected but still-unaware enemies.

Please, post this on their forums.

Perkel

Banned
Fallout was originally going to use GURPs, but SJG decided to terminate the license when the game was well underway

http://rpggeek.com/thread/471383/fallout-a-gurps-post-nuclear-adventure

The SPECIAL and the perk system is very much like GURPs, they did a little bit more than file off the numbers, so to speak, but not that much more.

Someone saved the Fallout site from before the changeover.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/official/gurps/index.html

Chris Tylor and Tim Caing changed whole system to SPECIAL in two weaks. Also Perks idea was created in two days by tim.

Someone can confirm if perks idea was from GURPS ? because Tim said that he had discovered it with tylor and Perk system gave many more iterations in modern games also P&P ones.

That was from his (Tim) post mortem fallout on GDC :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's safe to say that no matter what they do for the boxart it won't eclipse the original which is without a doubt the best boxart of all time.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it actually looks more Wasteland-y, plus it's a total complement to the orange of the original.
What gave me the Fallout-y feel for me were the old cars, the dog and the desert. I have Wasteland more associated with wacky color palettes.

Also, I want to be able to adopt or own dogs for added perception checks/a free NPC-styled combat maneuver per turn at the cost of feeding it food items every few days (or letting it chow down on slain biological enemies). If you don't feed it, intra-party combat time, bitches! If you spend skill points at the right library, you can learn Dog Training and make it a fully-fledged fifth Ranger that allows full control and new commands, like toggle-able free roam mode where the AI determines how the dog shadows the group (tracking/pathing behavior on the map cells), ahead or behind or in the middle. Maybe it might be able to sniff stuff out, like secret items stashes automatically (ala Fallout's dog commands to search for items) or, at least, push out the range for perception checks to see and avoid or choose how to tackle detected but still-unaware enemies.
YES! FARGO PLEASE ADD THIS

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
My guess is it will end up under 2 million. By comparsion, the Double Fine kickstarter reached 3.3 million but, well, that was Double Fine.

Not to single you out, but I keep sensing there is a little upset or resentment from people in this thread that the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is going quite slowly, or isn't getting as well funded as Double Fine's. To which I say, don't worry! Aside from the fact that this project is 100% fully funded - and still growing - it's not really worth comparing to a Kickstarter project that broke so many records and suddenly made real commercial games in long dead genres a reality. Not only that, but it offered so many other benefits and is even getting a documentary made about it... and, let's face it, more people have heard of the games Double Fine staff had worked on before. It was the perfect storm and a revolutionary moment in Kickstarter (and gaming) history.

This project may never attain those lofty heights, but it's still doing bloody well - it's one of only half a dozen projects on the site to get over a million dollars in funding, and at the end of it all it may still double the original goal amount (which was the highest goal amount in KS history). So, relax and enjoy what you guys are helping make a reality. :D

Please, post this on their forums.

Done, though I really dislike the super-strict character limit on the official Google moderator site for ideas. Had to fucking hack my usual verbose message-style up to little conjunctions made to look like coherent phrases. Dunno if anyone is going to be able to appreciate the details which sell the idea, at least, in my mind.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Also, saw this nice image posted (and made?) by Rick Lion at NMA.
iNCqHCKtCnk44.jpg

Really like the this. Gives the sense of a grim dawn or sunset. A lot of post-apocalyptic art seems to give the sense that things are happening not too far after the bombs dropped. But in the above picture you get the sense that things have moved on, the Earth has healed somewhat and all thats left are scatterings of human, animals, and broken down husks of technology. I'm hoping Wasteland 2 is more in this vein of post-apocalyptia.

That's never going to happen.

Yep. When Fargo talks about it being a throw-back to the RPGs of old, he seems to be including games from the Wasteland era and games from the Fallout/BG era. And really, how else could this project work? It would be folly to ignore the things that worked really well in post-Wasteland RPGs.

Really like the this. Gives the sense of a grim dawn or sunset. A lot of post-apocalyptic art seems to give the sense that things are happening not too far after the bombs dropped. But in the above picture you get the sense that things have moved on, the Earth has healed somewhat and all thats left are scatterings of human, animals, and broken down husks of technology. I'm hoping Wasteland 2 is more in this vein of post-apocalyptia.

The first game certainly is, so I expect WL2 to follow that idea of adapted, newly-created, and untouched pockets of life in the world. There were plenty of these crazy contrasts and juxtapositions, and it fed that vibe of this surreal and broken world the way only text could make a world feel in your imagination rather than just traipsing through pretty 3D dioramas or still-unnatural-feeling, but realistic 3D terrains. The little adventure game-like details made it work. Anyway, I agree about the art.

As for the battle system, I imagine that was one of the first things they looked at over the years. The GamerZone interview with Brian Fargo I posted earlier has him saying this:
GZ: So what we read is that it's going to be a top-down, turn-based RPG very much like Fallout 1 and 2. How will it differ from those games, and will there be some modern conventions, or more of a classic gameplay experience?

Brian Fargo: I think it's going to be a nice hybrid experience between Wasteland and Fallout 1 and 2, along with quite a few graphical updates, but with that said, we're going to experiment with a couple different things, throw it out to the forums, and say what do you guys think about this and that, and adjust accordingly. Overall, yes, it's more of a party based game, much more than Fallout was, focusing much more on the group, rather than the individual.

So, definitely not WL1 classic-style, but not quite FO1 or 2, either. Whatever happens, the ability to shift from a simple single-cell footprint for the party over to a SRPG/wargame-like multi-cell party placement has to remain and Fargo has been keen to reiterate that pioneering feature of the original. I want to keep the phase-based structure of combat since it upped the ante automatically for players' decisions since there is more to commit to unlike straight turn-based play of FO 1&2. It makes a lot of difference to the weight of choices and results in tough battles when you have to rely a bit more on the stats and skills which define your characters. It's similar to gambling games...the heightened sense of anticipation and investment in the results because you don't see the them until after you have made multiple decisions, unlike the piece-by-piece, step-by-step micro-control you have in turn-based combat.

So it's official there is no voices?

I think most people will be disappointed because they were looking forward to an old school Fallout game and are getting more than they bargained for.

Hope you guys have fun with your top down, turn based, text only rpg!

Emitan

I think most people will be disappointed because they were looking forward to an old school Fallout game and are getting more than they bargained for.

So we're getting exactly what was promised? Neato!

duckroll

Please stop trolling here. Most know exactly what they're getting into because:

a) we have actually played these games in the past

b) paid attention to the interviews and pitch comments

Top Bottom