• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

SparkTR

Looking through this thread there's people who want the game have real-time combat, be developed primarily for the iPad and have the budget blown on full VO. Damn son.

Sotha Sil

That's horse shit. The Old Republic has more dialogue than all of those games combined and it's all fully voiced. To a lesser extent the modern fallout and mass effect games are fully voiced as well and there isn't really a shortage of dialogue or options. At a minimum I expect fallout 1 amount of voice acting meshed with text and I think that's more than fair

Oh, so you were trolling all along. Carry on.

Looking through this thread there's people who want the game have real-time combat, be developed primarily for the iPad and have the budget blown on full VO. Damn son.

While I can see the desire for an iPad port (though I haven't an iPad), I'm just hoping the real-time and full VO crowd are trolling. While I expect there are many things still left undecided I would assume, as a baseline, that we're looking at:

*party-based
*turn-based
*third person
*limited, and maybe no, VO due to the budget

Anyone that feels strongly against any of those is likely to be disappointed and would probably be better off letting others fund this one.

All that stuff is pretty understandable though. At least no one here (yet) has spoken of a desire to see the romance/marriage awfulness brought into W2.

edit
BigWeather said:
*party-based
*turn-based
*third person
*limited, and maybe no, VO due to the budget

VO seems like something far too expensive to include, at least in the initial release.

Varna

That's horse shit. The Old Republic has more dialogue than all of those games combined and it's all fully voiced. To a lesser extent the modern fallout and mass effect games are fully voiced as well and there isn't really a shortage of dialogue or options. At a minimum I expect fallout 1 amount of voice acting meshed with text and I think that's more than fair

How much did Old Republic cost again?

Modern Fallout is fully voiced, but there isn't much in the way of different dialogue options in part 3 (which would results in different responses). Fallout NV is a lot better at this since it does attempt to take your skills and stats into consideration when giving responses to choose from... but still. Nothing like Fallout 2. Have you even played the game? Make a character with 1 INT and one with 10 INT. Your going to see a difference.

Mass Effect is a pathetic example. Each game in the series gives you less and less opportunities to choose.

Agreed, finding away to include the face-tech from LA Noire should be a priority. And by the gods this better have QTEs or I'm cancelling my pledge.

DiscoJer

All that stuff is pretty understandable though. At least no one here (yet) has spoken of a desire to see the romance/marriage awfulness brought into W2.

Well, to me the whole point of this, beyond getting a Wasteland sequel, is this (from their pitch)

They don’t think there’s any interest in a solid, old school type of game. This is our shot at proving them wrong. And more importantly this could help bring back an entire genre of RPGs. The power of the Indie scene continues and we see this as all part of a bigger trend of bringing control back to the developers.

I used to love WRPGs back in the day. I don't like the modern ones. This is the chance to see if there is room for both in today's market. That's largely the whole point of this project - are old style CRPGs viable commercially?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, to me the whole point of this, beyond getting a Wasteland sequel, is this (from their pitch)

I used to love WRPGs back in the day. I don't like the modern ones. This is the chance to see if there is room for both in today's market. That's largely the whole point of this project - are old style CRPGs viable commercially?

A million in less than a week says "yes."

Which makes the core of my being totally happy.

We’re going back to the original and building from there. No first person shooter, we’re going top down so you get a tactical feel for the situation. And we’re not ditching the party play to turn it into some hack-and-slash bloodfest. It’s turn based, tactical,. with a storyline that will be deeper and broader

We’re determined to keep the gritty, grim and satirical writing. We’re going to pitch those moral dilemmas at you. You’re going to be faced with the consequences of your actions.

Note that wasteland wasn't really turn based/tactical in the traditional sense; I'm guessing he means back to fallout's gameplay which is a good compromise

but seriously the "real time" crowd needs to go elsewhere.

Its should hopefully be a tough as nails core CRPG. As he stated elsewhere... not a reimagining. A sequel.

It's not. This stopped being acceptable about half a decade ago.

At any rate, I would never have donated had I known this. I am not going to sit there and read reams of text off a monitor before making decisions.

And I really don't think I'm alone. I basically read for a living, hundreds of pages a day. I enjoy it. But I do t want to read my videogames. It is just awkward and weird. Perhaps if there is some alien nonsense language with "subtitles," but just text with silence is a crummy experience.

Why don't you go play a Bioware game or something?

willooi

Hm... Replaying Fallout New Vegas at the moment. Are the rangers suppose to be a odd at Wastelands?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but if it helps, the companion Tycho in Fallout 1 was a homage to the Desert Rangers in Wasteland, who (even though his character model didn't reflect it, sadly) is described in-game as wearing something along the lines of "an armoured vest inside a long leather coat, with a gas mask over his face".

For New Vegas, this description was then used as the design for the elite NCR Rangers - the guy on the cover.

Maybe its because there's so much money now; that the pledges have slowed considerably or that I can't tell if its moving. It was easier to take note when it was climbing in the sub million.

Here's hoping it pushes up past 1.5-2million.

SparkTR

I hope they don't rehash Fallout's aesthetics because it's expected of the setting, or to appeal to Fallout fans. Looking at these images from the original gives a really unique vibe I hope they bring into the sequel.

knifer.gif

centron-deluxe.gif

endshot2.gif

scorpitron.gif

sister-gun.gif

Sera O

Banned
I've been looking through the last pages and haven't found it posted, but the team is asking what we want them to do with the extra money. So, uh, if you hate the idea of an iOS port I suppose this is the moment to show it! Sorry if it was already posted.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm backing the project and I'm really happy it's got support, but it would be nice if the kickstarter page were a bit more organized to keep information centralized in one place. For instance, putting the 1.5M target for Linux port front and centre with the statement about Mac support (unless maybe they are locked out of editing the main project page?), and maybe making people who have pledged aware that this poll, you know, exists.

Whatever, I put down the $50 for this. For an old-school game like this, I want an old-school game box for it too. I hope they actually deliver this game in 2013. I should go play the original Fallout/Fallout 2 or something one of these days, it's been a long time.

And yeah, they need to get Ron Perlman to tell us about how war never changes when this game starts. I don't care if there isn't a single word of voiced dialogue afterwards, get him to do the intro.

I hope they don't rehash Fallout's aesthetics because it's expected of the setting, or to appeal to Fallout fans. Looking at these images from the original gives a really unique vibe I hope they bring into the sequel.

knifer.gif

centron-deluxe.gif

endshot2.gif

scorpitron.gif

sister-gun.gif
Yeah, my kinda-sorta requirement for WL2 visuals is pretty simple, but unlikely to happen because the look turns many people off (mostly due to certain colors in the palette). As long as they keep the late-20th century/80s-themed reflection of high technology and futurist concepts, I'll be fine with something that represents a middle ground between the drab ranges of earth tones with the Fallout series and the sometimes crazy schemes of Wasteland. I'd love an alternate appearance option whereby an alternate color palette inspired by the wider range of colors from the DOS-EGA/Apple/C64 portraits is used. I like the strangeness of super saturated colors, like the bright cyan and bright magenta, and they fit well with the surrealistic 80s vibe of WL1. Pretty sure this won't happen, but I can hope.

i apparently pledged $50 to this while drunk in okayama a few nights ago. good to see i maintain my good decision making abilities in that state. looking forward to the game.

Yeah, my kinda-sorta requirement for WL2 visuals is pretty simple, but unlikely to happen because the look turns many people off (mostly due to certain colors in the palette). As long as they keep the late-20th century/80s-themed reflection of high technology and futurist concepts, I'll be fine with something that represents a middle ground between the drab ranges of earth tones with the Fallout series and the sometimes crazy schemes of Wasteland. I'd love an alternate appearance option whereby an alternate color palette inspired by the wider range of colors from the DOS-EGA/Apple/C64 portraits is used. I like the strangeness of super saturated colors, like the bright cyan and bright magenta, and they fit well with the surrealistic 80s vibe of WL1. Pretty sure this won't happen, but I can hope.

This is a pretty killer idea imho and I definitely think it's something that should be suggested to Fargo.

Just funded it, even though I don't like Fallout 1 and 2, and would most likely hate Wastleland if I tried it (my main problem with Fallout is the horrible interface and considering Wasteland was released in 1988 it must be even worst), but I like that kind of ballsy project. I'm super tired of all these asceptised AAA games. I really like this Kickstarter thing, and I hope we'll see more projects like that in the future.

DiscoJer

Oh my - I was looking at the website for Flying Buffalo, which publishes the Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes (which is the RPG system designed by Michael Stackpole and used in Wasteland) and they have some Queen's Blade gamebooks in English. (They were for an old game called Lost Worlds that Flying Buffalo published 25+ years ago). That's the series with very, uh, well endowed women fighting (the PSP has a SRPG or two based on the license)

turk128

They can always go back to one of their original sources (Gamma World) and have the best of both worlds.

Ii7K3.jpg

OsbX5.jpg

2Oytt.jpg

oWlyl.jpg

Aaron

Just funded it, even though I don't like Fallout 1 and 2, and would most likely hate Wastleland if I tried it (my main problem with Fallout is the horrible interface and considering Wasteland was released in 1988 it must be even worst), but I like that kind of ballsy project. I'm super tired of all these asceptised AAA games. I really like this Kickstarter thing, and I hope we'll see more projects like that in the future.
Wasteland plays nothing like Fallout. They have completely different interfaces.

DiscoJer

They can always go back to one of their original sources (Gamma World) and have the best of both worlds.

Except those images are from the most recent edition which came out a few years ago, so are inspired by Wasteland, not the other way around.

This is what the first Edition of Gamma World art style looked like.

GammaWorld_cover1.jpg

GammWorld_ad2.jpg

(Apparently Gary Gygax's daughter, BTW)

And this is second edition, which is definitely 1980s, and closer, but still, most of the other art from that edition had that Larry Elmore Style

Gamma_World2_cover.jpg

mclem

And yeah, they need to get Ron Perlman to tell us about how war never changes when this game starts. I don't care if there isn't a single word of voiced dialogue afterwards, get him to do the intro.

As I said elsewhere: If you're *going* to do this sort of thing, do it for the paragraph book.

It makes *perfect* sense.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
In all honesty I think the original Wasteland art is very dated. I'd like to see a modern take on the Wasteland scenario but without the very 80's "World of Tomorrow" look. I don't think it would be unfaithful to the series if they update this aspect.

Also Fallout's 50s motif is so distinctive that the concept art behind Wasteland 2 would have to go way out of its way just to invoke this look. I don't see that as a worry.

robin2

Never played the original, but I think the "80's World of Tomorrow" aesthetic, from both the original pixelart and the old gamma world images, is awesome.

The concept artist has nothing in his portfolio that looks like Fallout, so I seriously doubt that Brian Fargo wants Wasteland 2 to look like Fallout.

mclem

In the 4 hours since I posted that I put in $50, another $10k has been pledged. I wonder how much money this project will get in the next 32 days.

I think it might be slowing slower than DFA did. I'll need to check on relative progression over time.

Edit: By a rough count, DFA earned 1M in its first 24 hours, and half that in its final 24 hours. If those proportions hold true for Wasteland 2, it earned about $600k in the first 24 hours, so $300k in the last 24 hours strikes me as feasible given how spikes tend to pan out.

I think that highlights how 1.5M is probably a lock, at least; what's going to be a major factor for the real final figure is what sort of level it settles to after the initial peak is over, and if there's anything in the works to inject more interest every few weeks.

turk128

Except those images are from the most recent edition which came out a few years ago, so are inspired by Wasteland, not the other way around.

This is what that first Edition of Gamma World art style looked like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/trancejeremy/BBSPhotos/GammaWorld_cover1.jpg[IMG]

And this is second edition, which is definitely 1980s, and closer, but still, most of the other art from that edition had that Larry Elmore Style

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/trancejeremy/BBSPhotos/Gamma_World2_cover.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I have the 1st edition book; the vast majority of the art was B&W. And even then it was just as wild and wacky in parts; a mix of Forbidden Planet and the scifi shlock of the 70s.

This was from 1982; wacky over the top style and wide color palette already established.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OGHeZ.jpg
The 4e edition is a huge homage...
oWlyl.jpg

The style even caused down-to-earth style Elmore to branch out a bit as seen in your link.

Gamma World has always been split between those who treated it super cereal and those who reveled in the shlock.

duckroll

Since hitting the target the funding has slowed massively. In the last 24 hours less than 200k have been added. Still, if it stays at this rate, it should hit 1.5 million in 2-3 days.

this thing has a life cycle. 30+ days is a long time for it to gestate. :/ Still, 200k in 24 hours is still good. It got where it needed to be; now its cream on top!

dude

dude
I have the 1st edition book; the vast majority of the art was B&W. And even then it was just as wild and wacky in parts; a mix of Forbidden Planet and the scifi shlock of the 70s.

This was from 1982; wacky over the top style and wide color palette already established.
OGHeZ.jpg

The 4e edition is a huge homage...
oWlyl.jpg

The style even caused down-to-earth style Elmore to branch out a bit as seen in your link.

Gamma World has always been split between those who treated it super cereal and those who reveled in the shlock.

The old cover is so much better it's embarrassing.

ArjanN

Since hitting the target the funding has slowed massively. In the last 24 hours less than 200k have been added. Still, if it stays at this rate, it should hit 1.5 million in 2-3 days.

That's how most the kickstarters seem to work. Big spike in the first couple of days, then it slows down a lot but picks up a bit whenever there's an update, then another big spike at the end.

Top Bottom