• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

GulAtiCa

Did a lot of 1v1 hacking yesterday. I think my funnest one was where someone invaded my game. But because the game accidentally tells you that your invaded by putting away your phone (I think a bug?). I went into a underground garage that I was next to and just waited with a grenade launcher. As the guy came in with a car, I shot off a few rounds and blew him sky high! Didn't even get the chance to even hack me. hehe

*quickly alt-tabbing out of the game*

I'm stuck : I'm supposed to retrieve the dropped phone from Rabbit (after the Bedbug tailing)... I can't find it anywhere on the floor ??
EDIT : neverdmind "All you need to do to finish this final objective is leave the mission area." :/

Joeki11a

Banned
Did a lot of 1v1 hacking yesterday. I think my funnest one was where someone invaded my game. But because the game accidentally tells you that your invaded by putting away your phone (I think a bug?). I went into a underground garage that I was next to and just waited with a grenade launcher. As the guy came in with a car, I shot off a few rounds and blew him sky high! Didn't even get the chance to even hack me. hehe

It tells you in a huge prompt on the top left and the guy talks about it to, I never seen this hide his phone stuff I keep reading. It isnt that incognito, when youre invaded it tells you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man the multiplayer is much more fun than I ever thought it would be. I'm enjoying it so much and I've only played the invasion mode... I still haven't been invaded myself though :(

I've been invaded a few times and I haven't come close to finding that hacker. There must be some sneaky tricks I'm not aware of. That, or I'm just dumb. The last time I just said screw it and drove off.

ButchCat

I have to say I'm not bother by the driving at all anymore. I feel like this happens in most open world games with driving. I start the game, cars control strange and I'm not sure I like it. Once I spend some time with them and get comfortable I I get pretty good and learn to enjoy it.

I feel like the main thing you have to account for in this game is throttling, especially in the faster cars. Seems like most open world games before this you just mash the gas and go, while in this game you really feel the difference in the car's behavior when pressing the right trigger at various throw ranges.

You're doing it wrong. Cockpit view is the most natural way to drive.

GulAtiCa

It tells you in a huge prompt on the top left and the guy talks about it to, I never seen this hide his phone stuff I keep reading. It isnt that incognito, when youre invaded it tells you.

I think it only tells you after they begin the hack. I'm talking about knowing they are here before that even begins.

The hide the phone thing, is basically your phone is still out, but the middle-of-screen crosshairs/icon goes away and you can't hack/check out info on anyone unless you put away the phone and bring it out again. I think it's a bug.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been invaded a few times and I haven't come close to finding that hacker. There must be some sneaky tricks I'm not aware of. That, or I'm just dumb. The last time I just said screw it and drove off.
Aww. At the 75% mark, the invaded host actually has a pretty substantial advantage over the hacker because the radius is so small. There are definitely lots of good hiding spots though.

Invasion/being invaded is criminally addictive. I believe some people, including supposedly paid-off reviews, have severely underestimated the depth and fun factor of the multiplayer in this game. Last night, I became away I was being invaded just because I went to my story mission and it was locked (exactly as happens in the "tutorial"). There had been no notification whatsoever because the hack hadn't started, and I was in a car so no phone trick/bug. But trying a mission and seeing the icon turn purple, out of luck... this put me on high alrert and I profiled the hacker in like 5 seconds. However, I had the stupid wrong gun equipped and was firing pathetic long range shots with the 1911, so what should have been an easy kill turned into a narrow escape for him. The game prompted me to hack him back immediately as revenge- um, that is an awesome feature- but then uPlay stepped back in as fun police and I couldn't connect to do so.

I really really want to do some more tailing, but the game breaking bug is too scary, so I won't touch that until a patch.

Lizardus

Unable to log in to UPlay.

Damn shame that people who pirate the game have better experience playing the game than people who buy it.

mandiller

The game can look quite dull during the day time. But at night when it starts raining it can certainly look gorgeous. I'm trying out one of the SweetFX configs too.

watch_dogs-2014-05-30mksqm.jpg

watch_dogs-2014-05-30k9sx1.jpg

watch_dogs-2014-05-30ifsak.jpg

watch_dogs-2014-05-30zvsf6.jpg

GulAtiCa

Hiding on roofs is a good one. Some don't think to look up there. Esp if the only way up is by climbing over a car, some might not think of using a car to get on top of a roof. I found using a blackout or jammer helps to disable the cameras. I usually take up one of the cameras near me so the person can't use it. (also good way to help look around to make sure they aren't getting close) lol

Birbo

Ever see the film Drive?

Remember the opening escape scene?

Do that.

If you're not familiar. Take it slow. Watch patrol patterns, move through ally ways. Hide in the car and wait for patrols to pass. Then drive slowly by them.

The trick is to take your time and stealth your way out. As soon as you see a clear run to the edge of the escape area, burn it.

If you burn it from the start you will very likely get overwhelmed quickly.

Thanks. Was totally just trying to floor it from the start.

Gaz_RB

The key to hacking is to always know where the person who is searching for you is. If you know where he is, you know if he's coming towards you so you can quickly escape and move to a spot that he has already checked. Another thing that has never failed for me is cornering around cover as they circle around it. Works surprisingly well. Even when using cars as cover.

Also, are the servers down for anyone else?

Lizardus

Great. Loaded up the game and now I have the can't holster the weapon bug. Pressing Up on the D-pad brings out the weapon and pressing LB shoots it.

Fuck this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks. Was totally just trying to floor it from the start.
Oh wow. Listen to the dialogue in that sequence- "if you see me cut the engine, get down, we'll just be an old parked car." Do this, wait for patrol cars to go around corners, let the helicopter pass harmlessly over you, etc.

I know forced-stealth fail missions are like poison to people around here but I actually loved that mission. You really do feel like you're doing what your character is doing when you pull it off.
The key to hacking is to always know where the person who is searching for you is. If you know where he is, you know if he's coming towards you so you can quickly escape and move to a spot that he has already checked. Another thing that has never failed for me is cornering around cover as they circle around it. Works surprisingly well. Even when using cars as cover.
This is SO TENSE, especially when it's down to the last 10%. I cannot get enough of the whole "1v1 success = avoiding combat altogether" paradigm that you find yourself in while hacking.
I dunno I'm at work ;_;

leng jai

Shooting feels better then Gta V imo idk why maybe it's cause of the locked framerate? The sound design on the guns are also much better

The controls are just far smoother than GTAV. The audio feedback is also significantly more satisfying though that isn't hard since GTAV's sounded pitiful.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The shooting is nice in some ways, but GTA/RDR's euphoria physics engine has hurt other open world games for me.

Aww. At the 75% mark, the invaded host actually has a pretty substantial advantage over the hacker because the radius is so small. There are definitely lots of good hiding spots though.

I'll get better at detecting them, I'm sure. I kinda panic and run all over the place. I did get the one AI hacker in the tutorial by just opening fire on the crowd where his yellow dot showed up. There was some collateral damage but it worked.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll get better at detecting them, I'm sure. I kinda panic and run all over the place. I did get the one AI hacker in the tutorial by just opening fire on the crowd where his yellow dot showed up. There was some collateral damage but it worked.
Forcing AI behavior is good. You can fire into the air rather than at people and make them scatter, and sometimes the hacker can't quite react convincingly enough if they're nearby. If you just can't profile them though, they're hiding. It helps if you start thinking of places you would hide, and checking there. I got to a 91% hack on the little ledge right by the water level under a bridge, but they eventually dropped down and spotted me there. Remember you can use cameras to profile them as well.

On the other side, as a hacker, any tips for finding roofs you can get onto? Aiden's just not that much of a climber.

J-P

Neo Member

Invasion/being invaded is criminally addictive. I believe some people, including supposedly paid-off reviews, have severely underestimated the depth and fun factor of the multiplayer in this game. Last night, I became away I was being invaded just because I went to my story mission and it was locked (exactly as happens in the "tutorial"). There had been no notification whatsoever because the hack hadn't started, and I was in a car so no phone trick/bug. But trying a mission and seeing the icon turn purple, out of luck... this put me on high alrert and I profiled the hacker in like 5 seconds. However, I had the stupid wrong gun equipped and was firing pathetic long range shots with the 1911, so what should have been an easy kill turned into a narrow escape for him. The game prompted me to hack him back immediately as revenge- um, that is an awesome feature- but then uPlay stepped back in as fun police and I couldn't connect to do so.

I really really want to do some more tailing, but the game breaking bug is too scary, so I won't touch that until a patch.

I've never received an option for a revenge hack....that would be awesome.

BFIB

I'm about 10 hours in. I'm happily eating crow on my viewpoint leading up to this release. This game is an absolute blast. I find myself just roaming the streets looking up everyone's information. I had no idea I was so nosy.

char0n

Finally got this last night, played for a few hours, and am definitely loving it, even though it's rough around the edges. The graphics are great and while no eye-popping "this is next gen" moments yet, the fidelity even at 900p and absolute perfect smoothness of the framerate keeping 30 and never dipping is clearly something that would have been impossible last gen (so for the popular comparison, it does look both better AND worse than GTAV on last gen consoles, but mostly better until you start focusing on details). Driving is weird, it's like a compromise between more "realistic" GTA and "overly-arcadey" Sleeping Dogs, which makes the cars handle manageably but pretty meh, but I actually love how the motorcycles handle (I would actually say WD has "perfect arcadey" motorcycle handling/physics) and it's a joy to just rip through the city on them. "Life" in the city is definitely a step up from most open world games, with the situations and conversations being a really nice touch over the standard random people walking and saying random things to the air, and the phone stats/phones/messages adding on to that, making it a nice step into open worlds feeling more alive/immersive. Also loving the random crimes/criminal strongholds/etc missions that seem to come up as I listen in/get alerts. I know the ones always on the map are single-time activities but I hope those random pop-up ones never stop even if they repeat. Hacking is fun though I wish there were more opportunities to do things beyond "hold square/wait to HAX" in the open world. I feel like this is the area that needs the most expansion, it's a game featuring hacking, I'd like more random activities related to it (like break into someone's secure system for data using a randomly generated hack-puzzle, and more hack puzzles if there aren't any beyond the flip-path thing, or having multiplayer hacking actually being more than just find enemy, press square, wait/attack (competitive intrusion? How about an attack/defend game where one side is actually setting traps/locking paths to keep the other guy out?).

Even though I've barely scratched the surface I feel like this might be this gen's Assassin's Creed 1, which is not an insult at all. It sets a template, has lots of potential, takes a bite into next gen ability but clearly a bit rushed in spots and rough around the edges. Great game now at the start of the gen, but I hope that after the inevitable Watch Dogs 2 we'll be saying "Wow, with all the improvements to hacking/driving/etc, it's hard to go back to WD1".

jet1911

Fucking dumbass share button that works only when it wants... I was running after a due and he came across an intersection so I hacked the traffic lights thinking he could maybe get hit by a car or something. It didn't happen, instead one car hit another one sending it flying into a lamp post that fell onto the guy I was running after. Amazing! I hit the Share button and the only thing it does is take a screenshot... It's supposed to always record the last 15 minutes but I can't get it to do that... Boooo. :(

Daffy Duck

Can you turn off the flashing white highlight for hackable things and also the blue guiding arrow on the road? I'd rather make my own way towards the objective.

HelloMeow

Yes, cornering and using cameras works very well.

...As long as the other guy isn't using the cameras, but almost no one does that.

Zakalwe

Banned
Forcing AI behavior is good. You can fire into the air rather than at people and make them scatter, and sometimes the hacker can't quite react convincingly enough if they're nearby. If you just can't profile them though, they're hiding. It helps if you start thinking of places you would hide, and checking there. I got to a 91% hack on the little ledge right by the water level under a bridge, but they eventually dropped down and spotted me there. Remember you can use cameras to profile them as well.

On the other side, as a hacker, any tips for finding roofs you can get onto? Aiden's just not that much of a climber.

Fire into the air and there's a chance someone will call the police. You then need to spend time chasing them down to stop the call (a great feature, btw), so it can work against you. Especially if you don't manage to prevent the call being made...

The only thing I've been having hiccups with is the damn lighting in this game. It looks so damn washed out during the daytime that when I adjust my tv settings to compensate, things go pitch black in the shadows.

JB1981

This thread is REALLY making me want to buy this game. I just don't know if I want it on PC or PS4. Not really interested in dealing with some of the bugs reported on PC but I hate non native gaming as well!

Plus I also have some Amazon points to shop with and can't get that discount via PSN. Urghhh.

I have been playing fine since release and started getting that error today. Doubt it's on my end since i changed nothing and my ports are open etc.

I just checked it, and it's still not working. And it's "Nat type 2" - I'm in Europe and I know nothing about the Ubisoft's server infrastructure, but I guess it's server-sided.

//edit...ok, now it's working - I followed both posts.

This thread is REALLY making me want to buy this game. I just don't know if I want it on PC or PS4. Not really interested in dealing with some of the bugs reported on PC but I hate non native gaming as well!

Plus I also have some Amazon points to shop with and can't get that discount via PSN. Urghhh.
Honestly, if you're on the fence, get it. I did the same (ps4) and I'm loving it (nothing like a little confirmation bias to nudge you in the right direction).

J3ffro

Some jerk yelled "run Forrest!" as I ran by. I now regret not beating that man within an inch of his life, reputation be damned.

JON4495

Fire into the air and there's a chance someone will call the police. You then need to spend time chasing them down to stop the call (a great feature, btw), so it can work against you. Especially if you don't manage to prevent the call being made...

You can use the jam com to stop the call as well, and that has the added benefit of freezing the hack percentage for a short while

I've played for the last two nights and am really enjoying the game. I keep getting sidetracked into doing the gang hideouts so I'm still on act I.

I really love the enhanced profiler that tells you when someone has a fat bank account. However, I absolutely suck at finding hackers.

Top Bottom