• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Yes, but you need to match it to your HDTV. Check the contrast, brightness and picture too. Or else the black levels will be too dark.

I've used FULL for both my PS3/4 and HDMI receiver. Although some people just hook the console right up to the HDTV.

I did have to pump up the brightness.

am i the only one that played most of the game pistol only?

say what you want about aiden's character, he really does pull it off. walking with the pistol behind his back, so badass.

TrueGrime

am i the only one that played most of the game pistol only?

say what you want about aiden's character, he really does pull it off. walking with the pistol behind his back, so badass.

Nope. With the exception of using the sniper for enforcer head shots the silenced pistol was great for precision shooting. Loved it too.

wowlace

Today was my first venture into the world of invasions. I have found it extremely intriguing. There is so much randomness that factors in to the experience. I have successfully hacked, been hacked, been foiled when hacking. The thrill of getting caught is crazy.

finally beat it. Had to redo the ending twice because the first time the credits glitched out and i was stuck in ubisoft credit hell for life.

BrmElXXCEAAqyOV.jpg

overall a pretty enjoyable game for something that was in dev hell for so long. Out of the recent open world crime games, i'd place it behind GTA5 and sleeping dogs, but not much behind. Gameplay is the best its been in an open world game, with the car cops evasion stuff really being the only iffy part where you have to get real lucky or abuse blackout. Story and characters were the real negative. didn't give a fuck about anybody, and aiden felt like he was written by someone different every cutscene (which he probably was) with no consistency.

I guess these are the key bulletpoints i'd want out of a sequel mechanics wise.

- The game has some sort of splinter cell 'last position' in play, but i wish they would just show where that is.
- More nonlethal options. When i think vigilante, i think more melee options. Heck put in a melee system would be neat, throw in a Ass Creed counter system while your at it. And give me like a dozen more melee takedown animations.
- biggest issue with modern ubisoft games. Skill Tree is pretty pointless. maxing hacking bits for car and stealth run are about the only things required.
- The other issue tied to the above bulletpoint, all the side stuff is tedious and have zero notable payouts besides some skills, and that OP sniper rifle. i don't need more exp for skills that don't do much. Shit needs to be better integrated, or at the very least make them fun or funny, like the dumb side stuff in GTA5.
- Let me change up my wardrobe not just reskins. thats a large part of the fun in sleeping dogs and pretty much any open world stuff.

Also, yeah would like a decent story and characters, but this is ubisoft so i'll keep my expectations low. would love to be surprised someday!

Also, if you are gonna do AMERICA again, figure out how many inches are in a feet. It's confusing shit I agree, but we got google!

Bo8P8C-IUAA2aeh.jpg:large

Taking a page from GTA V, I wonder if a sequel to Watch_Dogs could work with a team of heroes working together instead of a single protagonist.

Instead of combining all skills in one raspy-voiced white guy, you'd have a Hacker, a Wheelman, a Fixer and an Infiltrator with different strengths and synergies. More Leverage, less Batman, with the ability to switch between team members at will (or drop-in coop.)

Each character could have their own unique side activity and some banter would liven up the overwrought noir of the first outing.

Portugeezer

After Act 1 I found the game to be enjoyable, it dragged on a bit at first, but I started to like the game mechanics and there is a lot to do in the world (even got used to the driving). Good game overall; anticipating a sequel (please give me a taser or something, I feel bad headshotting dudes I just want to take them down without getting close). 900p is not so bad if anti aliasing would be better.

One question though:

I completed 14 out of 15 Gang Hideouts, do I really have to profile people to find the last one? Tried for an hour all I get is money, system keys and crime locations... ugh. Are there areas where profiling would find gang hideouts more easily?

My profiler is maxed out btw.

Setsuna

well this game is made by canadians...

Speaking of which, do they ever explain in game aiden's past besides he is a hacker? He seems to be a teeny bit more than that with them Commando gun skills and can parkour like a monkey. He did mention he was the best driver in town in that early mission.

Everything is in the audio logs
Thanks for the spoiler!

its nothing really just a mission not even half way through the game

someday

Banned
Taking a page from GTA V, I wonder if a sequel to Watch_Dogs could work with a team of heroes working together instead of a single protagonist.

Instead of combining all skills in one raspy-voiced white guy, you'd have a Hacker, a Wheelman, a Fixer and an Infiltrator with different strengths and synergies. More Leverage, less Batman, with the ability to switch between team members at will (or drop-in coop.)

Each character could have their own unique side activity and some banter would liven up the overwrought noir of the first outing.
I would be way more interested in a sequel if they did something like this. I really, really dislike Aiden and everything about his story is irritating to me. Playing as any other character in this game would have been better. I'm sticking with the game though because I'm actually enjoying the mechanics (the hacking, using cameras and taking down enemies without ever being near them). The gang hideouts are my favorites.

Portugeezer

Ok, I've been Profiling, doing Fixer Contracts, Criminal Conveys, items of interest, missing person, etc for HOURS now and I still have yet to unlock the final Gang Hideout...

What the fuck man, I got millions in the bank from all this profiling and other missions, story is completed, give me the damn hideout.

Ok, I've been Profiling, doing Fixer Contracts, Criminal Conveys, items of interest, missing person, etc for HOURS now and I still have yet to unlock the final Gang Hideout...

What the fuck man, I got millions in the bank from all this profiling and other missions, story is completed, give me the damn hideout.

More than likely, it's hidden under another icon on your map. Zoom in and do a slow sweep of the map.

Portugeezer

More than likely, it's hidden under another icon on your map. Zoom in and do a slow sweep of the map.

Doubtful. I checked all the locations on a guide already and I have no gang hideouts on my map in those locations. It also doesn't help that the game doesn't have a list of completed hideouts, so I don't even know in what area the one I haven't completed is.

any eta on T-bone dlc?

ubisoft games dlc do tend to be 1-2 months out from the main game.

hope its surprisingly decent, because t-bone is a pretty generic character, and the trailer just looked like any other mission.

Just came back to this game after a few weeks off since I finished the story, I want to plat it on ps4..

Holy shit the 10 online races I had to do for a trophy were terrible. For some reason most of the races rarely made it above 10 fps, thank god getting last place was fine for the trophy.

The tailing trophy was actually fun, only had 1 kid DC to avoid me finding him, I'll continue playing this mode...Time to do the online hacking trophy.

Denzel

I'm itching to buy the Season Pass... but something tells me the DLC is going to be shit. Anyone who has the DLC is it worth buying for the extra single player missions?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm itching to buy the Season Pass... but something tells me the DLC is going to be shit. Anyone who has the DLC is it worth buying for the extra single player missions?

Please don't buy it.

The Season Pass is a complete goatfuck. Content is not rolled out equally, stuff is missing, Ubisoft hasn't responded to anything.

Last week the ULC pack was supposed to be released, yet it only released in the US. It's still missing in other territories for no reason whatsoever. In Europe only the Signature Shot unlocked and many players are reporting problems with the outfit not unlocking after finishing the mission.

Hot garbage all around.

Denzel

Please don't buy it.

The Season Pass is a complete goatfuck. Content is not rolled out equally, stuff is missing, Ubisoft hasn't responded to anything.

Last week the ULC pack was supposed to be released, yet it only released in the US. It's still missing in other territories for no reason whatsoever. In Europe only the Signature Shot unlocked and many players are reporting problems with the outfit not unlocking after finishing the mission.

Hot garbage all around.

Ahhhh I see. Thanks for the heads up. A little disappointing though, was hoping the DLC might add something decent to this game.

So are there any new/good tips for the Pawnee Drinking game, specifically level 6?

I'm still wrapping up the other side missions, but I've been chipping away at the Level 6 game for the past few days and I've made zero progress. I can knock out the first two rounds, but the 3rd one where you have to hold both sticks in their respective circles - I've only managed to do a handful of times. Of course, the very next round is another one of these stick challenges, so I immediately fail that 4th round then.

I've tried having my GF help by working the other stick, but she doesn't really game so the whole concept is alien to her.

So are there any new/good tips for the Pawnee Drinking game, specifically level 6?

I'm still wrapping up the other side missions, but I've been chipping away at the Level 6 game for the past few days and I've made zero progress. I can knock out the first two rounds, but the 3rd one where you have to hold both sticks in their respective circles - I've only managed to do a handful of times. Of course, the very next round is another one of these stick challenges, so I immediately fail that 4th round then.

I've tried having my GF help by working the other stick, but she doesn't really game so the whole concept is alien to her.
Focus your eyes between the two circles. Your brain will be able to take in information for both circles simultaneously.

Gold Member
One...more...trophy...must...continue!

I am so shit at online invasions it's not even funny anymore :(

2 100% in two hours! I am close to tears lol.

I did this earlier after a day or two of trying. My tactics in the end were...
1. Get the RH stick nicely in the circle, on the right hand side.

2. Move the left hand one to the left of the circle.

3. Slowly move the LH one into position keeping it left so my brain didn't get befuddled.

The next one is even harder as they are ? For both lol, same tactic though, just find out which one is the right stick and keep it right so you don't get confused!

Focus your eyes between the two circles. Your brain will be able to take in information for both circles simultaneously.

It's funny you should mention this, I played another few rounds and while I still wasn't able to get it knocked out I was doing much better than I had before using this method.

Also, I know this sound entirely backwards - but on a whim I tried playing the drinking game on the Vita using Remote Play. I actually felt I had a better go of it with the smaller range of motion on the sticks. Ran into some connection issues, and it's maybe a bit easier to go swinging about wildly, but it also seems easier to dial in the motions.

/shrug

Gold Member
It's funny you should mention this, I played another few rounds and while I still wasn't able to get it knocked out I was doing much better than I had before using this method.

Also, I know this sound entirely backwards - but on a whim I tried playing the drinking game on the Vita using Remote Play. I actually felt I had a better go of it with the smaller range of motion on the sticks. Ran into some connection issues, and it's maybe a bit easier to go swinging about wildly, but it also seems easier to dial in the motions.

/shrug

Doesn't sound too backwards to me, I read that using a smaller screen can actually help as you have a smaller field of view. I never struggled with the ones that were far apart like that, only the ones that were both in a single circle or the ones where the circles overlap. So glad it's over tbh!

Finally finished it last night, i would say overall i enjoyed it more then grand theft auto 5 (which is a huge compliment because i rate gta 5 thes best game of last gen).

I think overall i liked the hacking/ctos storyline moreso then gtas heist story.

Question about endgame spoilers

Why was clara apologising about your nephews death ? It made it sound like she was involved, but how ? maurice did the shooting and we know who paid him todo it, so what was claras involvement. Also who hired the guys to kill her and why ? damian ? also big wtf with jordi at the end, he was a massively underused character and just seemed out of place at the end, then you disarm him and your best buddies again.

I can see tons of potential for a sequel though, but if its not in chicago i hope its in another never been done city and not new york or some other overused city.

TrueGrime

Finally finished it last night, i would say overall i enjoyed it more then grand theft auto 5 (which is a huge compliment because i rate gta 5 thes best game of last gen).

I think overall i liked the hacking/ctos storyline moreso then gtas heist story.

Why was clara apologising about your nephews death ? It made it sound like she was involved, but how ? maurice did the shooting and we know who paid him todo it, so what was claras involvement. Also who hired the guys to kill her and why ? damian ? also big wtf with jordi at the end, he was a massively underused character and just seemed out of place at the end, then you disarm him and your best buddies again.

I can see tons of potential for a sequel though, but if its not in chicago i hope its in another never been done city and not new york or some other overused city.

Clara was the one that tracked down Aiden and Damien after the Merlaut job so that a hit can be put out on them. That's the hit that killed his niece.

iNvid02

clara gave the info to Quinn, he employed her to find info about people, she was able to identify aiden so the hit could take place.

and yeah they were fixers sent by Damian

Lmao, was hacking some kid and had it at 97% when he disconnected. I simply messaged him that he needs to grow up and stop cheating, he replied that it isn't cheating but a firewall.

You've GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME.

I've read about the progress-breaking bug were you lose all your earned skills, and guns and story progress (no more campaign marker if you didn't finish the story missions)

but I was at 94.5% completion. Worked my way up to the top 200 in hacking (all time). Was working my way into the top 100... All I had left was the drinking game, and Online Decryption... and while I was "Loading last Autosave" after losing the Pawnee drinking game: I had respawned, but this time I was invaded (tailed actually) and strangely the "drunk" effect didn't go away but i thought nothing of it... I find the tail and kill him, after the match screen goes away I get a notification of a "New Skill ______" so I open up with the d-pad only to see my skill tree is completely fucking empty. FUCK THIS SHIT.

Only way to fix this is to start a new game completely, the game is asking me to start the tutorials for the online matchmaking before I can even go online again, even though I literally played a dozen online matches today and beat the story last week. UGH FUCK UBISOFT. I've had it.

I don't care if they mod every god-damn thing into this game that Ubisoft took out from E3 2012, I'm no longer interested in continuing to play. a save-corrupting bug like this will always be there waiting to come up and fuck my progress no matter how pretty the game looks. BE WARNED, GAF-bros, when it happens to you... don't get mad, just uninstall Watch_Dogs and be done with it.

EDIT: UPDATE! Turns out I can play online still and my online notoriety is NOT reset, I also discovered that other things were not reset.

What HAS been reset is:
-money
-skills (you can still hack all the things in the game world like blockers, and streetlights and L-trains)
-experience (ingame Level)
-ability to buy focus boost (fixed once focus boost was re-earned in skill tree)
-limit to max # of electronic hacks that can be bought from blackmarket seller (limit can be raised as it's earned through skill tree)

GREAT NEWS THOUGH, here's what wasn't reset:

My unlocked cars, guns, outfits.
Everything else seems to be okay.

EDIT2: So really, all I need is a PC trainer for 1.03 watchdogs that will allow me to re-add EXP and SKILL POINTS, (i could re-earn money on my own), and I'll be back to normal, NO THANKS TO UBISOFT!

EDIT3: Every skill has been re-earned through some chinese trainer... although there is 1 Skill in the BASE Skill Tree that will not allow me to buy it with skill points "Hacker's Tool Kit" is locked, forever.
it is the skill on the bottom left side of the "First Level" that is shown as locked in this image:
icHSOFcnVmcag.jpg

There has to be someone who can allow us to unlock that skill through Cheat Engine somehow, I'm sure if we can unlock it we re-earn the rest of the skills tied to it and fix our skill trees even though they were reset by the save glitch.

wowlace

Lmao, was hacking some kid and had it at 97% when he disconnected. I simply messaged him that he needs to grow up and stop cheating, he replied that it isn't cheating but a firewall.

That's a good one.

I successfully hacked someone yesterday and I received a message promptly thereafter. The conversation went like this.

THEM: "Don't do that again"

ME: "What did I do?" (Genuine question as I am new to the online shens and thought maybe I exploited somehow)

THEM: "You hacked me, don't do that, it's annoying"

ME: "lulwat? turn off invasions"

THEM: "thanks"

30 minutes later.......

THEM: "It's all good, I was just pissed off because I couldn't find you"

Portugeezer

So what are the opinions of the DLC missions?

£5 seems a lot for 3 missions, I would get through them pretty quickly. The other content doesn't interest me, only the missions.

Denzel

£5 seems a lot for 3 missions, I would get through them pretty quickly. The other content doesn't interest me, only the missions.

From what I've read, it's not worth it. The 3 missions are around 40 minutes of gameplay.

Lima

Well the big singleplayer DLC ala Freedom Cry will be the T-Bone DLC. Who knows when that comes out though.

Prezhulio

Just finished the story, really great open world game, with just enough different gimmicks that it didn't burn me out like I felt I would be having played (most of) ac IV and beating gta v. The cat and mouse getaway stuff with the environment was the best.

Sure, there's loads of complaints you can throw against it, but it's easily worth the $60 I paid, which I can't say about a lot of full retail games I've played lately. Since wolfenstein seemed to outclass watchdogs review wise, I'm very excited to try that eventually.

But.....holy shit at the credits. Crazy how many people were involved in this. Being able to wrangle that many folks into a completed functional product is a feat in and of itself.

Canucked

I finally finished Watch Dogs today.

I rate it "Umm.."
It has some pretty sup-par mechanics (driving, shooting, cover, stealth). The story is not great, and full of plot holes, and moments that feel slapped together. The hacking makes zero sense and is far too easy in the puzzle sections.

The audio is dreadful. The radio--turn it off. The five news stories that play over and over the whole game get annoying. The main character's voice is like every Nolan-Batman joke.

The worst part...the last missions. Spoilers: They don't require skill. The game decides to put stealth, shooting and hacking out the window in favour of over-the-top chaos, unavoidable police chases, scripted "glitches" and constant babbling. Just equip a grenade launcher, get to an objective, finish it, then die to clear the board and move on. It's just god awful.

And I'm like, one of the only fans of Ubisoft open world games. In fact, I'm pretty easy when it comes to games.

Last note: Ubisoft. Fuck your credits already. Speed that shit up.

Portugeezer

Just finished the story, really great open world game, with just enough different gimmicks that it didn't burn me out like I felt I would be having played (most of) ac IV and beating gta v. The cat and mouse getaway stuff with the environment was the best.

Sure, there's loads of complaints you can throw against it, but it's easily worth the $60 I paid, which I can't say about a lot of full retail games I've played lately. Since wolfenstein seemed to outclass watchdogs review wise, I'm very excited to try that eventually.

But.....holy shit at the credits. Crazy how many people were involved in this. Being able to wrangle that many folks into a completed functional product is a feat in and of itself.

I have the same feeling. The first impression of Watch Dogs was not great, but after Act 1 I began to like the game more and more, and in the end I really enjoyed it.

I played the game on hard BTW and I wouldn't recommend any easier, enemies and police can be a real challenge in chase missions and whatnot. The police were hard to get ride of at first but once you level up some skills it's not so bad, also the focus makes shooting a bit easy they need to balance that in WD2 (albeit when you shoot the focus meter diminished quickly but not enough).

Gold Member
Finally got my Platinum for this. I actually really enjoyed this game, sure it has problems but there was nothing in there that pissed me off too much. Roll on WD2 lol!

Edit: Scratch that, the drinking games need to fuck off in the sequel, took me a couple of days to do Pawnee :(

Portugeezer

Finally got my Platinum for this. I actually really enjoyed this game, sure it has problems but there was nothing in there that pissed me off too much. Roll on WD2 lol!

Edit: Scratch that, the drinking games need to fuck off in the sequel, took me a couple of days to do Pawnee :(

That is what platinumers deserve.

I'm at about 65% complete and loving the game a lot more now since I'm done with that horrible story, the game feels amazing just running around and doing the trophies. I don't actually mind doing this much. I just fear the drinking trophy and having to do 40 mixer missions, I did 5 and hated 3 of them....

Anyways, is there anyway to see total time played so far? PS4 version.

*edit* figured out I can see my time played by logging in at http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogs/en-us/being-watched/index.aspx , it says I've only played it for 18 hours, feels right I guess.

Top Bottom