• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Runs surprisingly well at 4K and Ultra:
mgnaCHz.jpg

Looks ass for 4K.

Kssio_Aug

A while ago, because of Call of Duty showing ads on TV not depicting actual game play, a law was passed that forced publishers to disclose somewhere on the screen that its not actual game play. Perhaps something similar should be for game reveals? Doubt it will ever happen, though. Hopefully publishers just don't want to "pull a Watch Dogs" ever again.

I think it should. If they intended to show something impressive but that wasnt meant to make consumers believe it will be the end result, they should just declare its a cgi or a tech demo and try not simulate a gameplay on screen.

The game looks fun however. If that e3 video was never showed, Im sure most people would actually be impressed (not by the visuals, buy by the game itself).

Pandemic

I am going to go back to the store in about 10 minutes and pick up the PS4 version.

The game, even with the flaws is still fun to me. I don't really care about 1080/60 like a lot of people but what i do care about is being consistent in terms of frames and the PC version (for me at least) is all over the place. It's worse then Infamous second son. I will be driving and hit 50s and then suddenly it will drop to 30 and stay at 30 or below. I had these exact same problems with Far Cry 3 and AC4 for the first month-ish until they patched it and optimized it a little more.

The graphics also don't bother me. Everyone keeps calling it hideous and downgraded but i think it looks great and as for all the lighting downgrades and stuff it's like are you people new to video games? It's not new to bullshit your trailers, that's how it's always been.

According to a few ATI users their experience is just fine.

Maybe it's a nvidia issue? Like i said, i should of expected this. Every Ubi game outside of their "indie" stuff like Child of Light has ran pretty shitty for me until patched. It's a bummer, i kind of wasted $60 on this. I mean, not wasted. It's playable i just cannot play a game that fluxuates frames this bad, i would rather play it on PS4 and get a good locked 30fps because vsync does absolutely nothing for me other then stop the screen tearing, it still goes from 50-55 to 25-30 to 45-50 to 20-30 and its random and annoying.

Hmm, cheers for the response. Might stick with my PC copy, and just grab a PS4 copy that I have on hold for cheap if things go bad with the PC.

Aside from the excellent water simulation I am not really that impressed with the game running on Ultra especially considering the sky high system requirement to achieve those settings... disappointing :(

It's completely rediculous to have those system requirements and then have the game look the way it does.

EDIT: The interface. Horrible, horrible interface. Can't take away the phone. Forced to always see profile clutters on screen as soon as someone walks by the camera.
Mmm. Going to give it a bit more of a chance, but if things doesn't turn around soon I'll drop this.

No. You take out your profiler (the thingy to see someone's name and info) by pressing square. You can put it away, but as far as we know bridges and other shit you can hack will always glow when you aim at them. Ubisoft may or may not have a option to turn this off.

how are the behind the scenes stuff though? Like are the character AI routes 'next gen'?

Do you see the whole complex wind simulation system in play that was pimped a while back?

Interfectum

It's completely rediculous to have those system requirements and then have the game look the way it does.

It's going to get worse as this gen goes on. PC gamers are used to playing uprezzed 360/PS3 games at 1080p+ / 60fps+ on the top tier settings with mid-high range hardware. But as these next-gen game engines get more bloated and less optimized it's going to take absurd system requirements to reach that same mark in a lot of cases. Just wait for The Witcher 3 meltdowns next year.

Game doesn't look that great to warrant that performance, imo.

Is TXAA expensive? I never really used it in games because I felt it blurred, I'm curious what the other AA options are and the performance hit... or is this just another unoptimized Ubisoft game, or maybe my 670 is just getting obsolete.

Glad to have seen all these screenshots/footage of the game before release though, went from interested in buying at full price later to waiting for a sale.

TXAA will have a similar performance hit to MSAA, since it's pretty much MSAA with a post-process temporal component. TXAA 2x should give better than MSAA 4x quality at MSAA 2x cost, while TXAA 4x should give you better than MSAA 8x quality at MSAA 4x cost. So yes, it is quite expensive.

Ubisoft has no shame. Aren't there some legal grounds to get them in trouble for LYING to their costumers? The sole face of the playable character is like 2 gens behind they've shown.

Watch_Dogs threads on GAF have been truly spectacular. Top Quality stuff.

Impressive argument there lol. What exactly is that suppose to prove exactly? Ryse is a damn good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly and would consider it one of the best I've played at the launching of a new console, but I guess I already know why you wouldn't be aware of that.

It's a very refreshing thing when you make up your own mind and resist being dragged into group think just to feel good about the fact that you fit in. :)

actually if you have the box copy you can just throw in the uplay code and play it legally.

fucking broke ass uplay system lol.

While digital buyers won't get their code emailed to them until like fucking tuesday afternoon EST.

And you can't even preload on uplay... but i think you can on steam.

Palehorse

So much hate for what is likely to be one of the better next gen releases on these new consoles. In fact, I kinda guarantee it.

Yes, the amount of attention people are putting toward discrediting/disparaging the game based on a 2 year old trailer....

It's done, don't buy it, move on.

Leave the rest of us to talk about our experiences playing it. I'm looking forward to it.

Redmoon

Just lock the game at 30fps through nvidia inspector.

You can lock it to 30fps/half your refresh in game via the v-sync "2 frames" setting.

Also, rainy nights and sunny sky's after it rains really look the best in this game so far.
I might post a high bit-rate video or two later of it(with fail driving).

Marcel

Yes, the amount of attention people are putting toward discrediting/disparaging the game based on a 2 year old trailer....

Leave the rest of us to talk about our experiences playing it. I'm looking forward to it.

If it's as eurojanky as I hope it is, I might buy just to experience the pain. Electronic masochism.

Hasney

Why should OT's be kept as happy little fairylands though, especially when the more that's shown, the worse it gets?

Actually going to play this when I get home if I can get my key out of Origin. It's a weird feeling to not be looking forward to it at all.

If it's as eurojanky as I hope it is, I might buy just to experience the pain. Electronic masochism.

This part I'm kind of looking forward to though.

Impressive argument there lol. What exactly is that suppose to prove exactly? Ryse is a damn good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly and would consider it one of the best I've played at the launching of a new console, but I guess I already know why you wouldn't be aware of that.

It's a very refreshing thing when you make up your own mind and resist being dragged into group think just to feel good about the fact that you fit in. :)

I have a question: you say you can guarantee it being one of the best next-gen games, but that's subjective. How can you guarantee something to be "good" when the very notion of quality is subjective in the first place?

aravuus

What the heck lol

Looks like a fun game tho sure

Why should OT's be kept as happy little fairylands though, especially when the more that's shown, the worse it gets?

They shouldn't

The constant fucking whining is just really annoying, we all know there's a sizable downgrade, I don't need a drive-by shitposter every 10 minutes to remind me

No Fun

Does the game look interesting from a gameplay perspective? No? Don't buy it.
Does the game look good enough to play and enjoy if the gameplay looks interesting?
Eh,.. Yes.

kanuuna

On the subject of on-screen information, does the game have similar options to Assassin's Creed, where you can disable pretty much any individual HUD element? I found myself playing through Assassin's Creed IV on PS4 having just the weapon icon visible. Navigating was still easy, because the any custom or objective markers showed up on-screen, and the world map loaded at an instant (contrary to past games on last gen consoles) with the tap of the touchpad.

I don't need all of that information available at all times on my singleplayer game, especially if there's a pretty world to admire.

styl3s

You can lock it to 30fps/half your refresh in game via the v-sync "2 frames" setting.

Also, rainy nights and sunny sky's after it rains really look the best in this game so far.
I might post a high bit-rate video or two later of it(with fail driving).
Really? I was wondering what they setting did.

Will try this before i leave.

Servbot24

Banned

Eh, I don't care about the old trailer. The graphics are bad but it's not a big deal. The big deal is how bad the gameplay looks.

lol. I enjoyed Ryse a lot actually.

Yep, it's a very good game. That's why I always get a chuckle out of attempts to post my avatar to make some kind of point. Ryse had solid, fun combat, unbelievable graphics and presentation - still the best I've personally seen on the new consoles -- and a story that was a lot better than I was expecting, with a pretty badass main character and an excellent supporting character in Commander Vitallion.

breakfuss

Because people who pre-ordered shouldn't be made to feel bad about their potentially misguided optimism. Blinders on, please.

Denton

Seriously someone with PC version needs to sleep to get the Time of Day same as in reveal, and then show in Gamersyded 1080p/60fps/ultra video the same location and gameplay as in the 2012 reveal. I am curious as hell.

Palehorse

Actually going to play this when I get home if I can get my key out of Origin. It's a weird feeling to not be looking forward to it at all.

This part I'm kind of looking forward to though.

Nah, if the game turns out to be shit then burn it to the ground. OT threads are good for warning people off of crap games and the last page or so is showing PC performance + impressions, etc so that's good. I was referring to the hate pre-hand-on..

I'm okay with jank as long as it's fun. The videos look decent but we're still to see if the actual gameplay is fun at all. Like: I don't care what I'm doing right now, it's just fun doing it.

Kelsey

Banned
Eh, I don't care about the old trailer. The graphics are bad but it's not a big deal. The big deal is how bad the gameplay looks.

I think the gameplay looks really good. I'm not a fan of how the cars pop-in while driving on PS4, but after watching a bunch of videos and streams of the PS4 version, I'm more than sold on the gameplay.

aravuus

Yep, it's a very good game. That's why I always get a chuckle out of attempts to post my avatar to make some kind of point

Attempting? Dude, I'm glad you like Ryse but most consider it below average, so avatar quoting kind of actually works in this case

e: just saying!

breakfuss

Since when was it ok to blatantly troll a game in an OT thread? The last few pages are a mess.

Well if others are like me, they've been waiting to see the end result. Giving it the benefit of the doubt. Now that's it here and legitimately looks bland as hell, I imagine less restraint will be used. I'm not sure why unbridled adulation is allowed but criticism not.

Top Bottom