• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

xkramz

Just got my ps4 copy. I love NYC. :)

jP5StFv.jpg
I sent you a message write back brother

Redmoon

http://a.pomf.se/fkolwj.webm
All I needed was rain to mimic the 2012 video, but it never came, or came at the wrong time.
I know had there been rain, it would have looked similar to the video.

People with the PC version. Can you post your computer spec? Install MSI Afterburner, enable ingame monitoring (select CPU / GPU usage, PC / video card ram usage and framerate), take a ingame screenshot and post it here.

How about a high bitrate video instead (since I forgot that RTSS gets captured by shadowplay)

Everything is on the Ultra setting...

watch_dogs_20140523_19471081_by_gavinuk86-d7jfrji.png

watch_dogs_20140523_19480839_by_gavinuk86-d7jfr7k.png
Interesting, those shots are from the same scene as one of the 2013 PS4 gameplay trailers. If this is definitely Ultra, then there are clearly at least two effects missing - some kind of parallax mapping for the paved road, and the dynamic DOF.

The overall shininess of the ground can be attributed to it being just after a rain shower, compared to your screens that are bone dry.

But here, beyond the shininess of the wet ground, you can clearly see there is some depth to the gaps in the paving in the lower left, beyond just a normal map.

But the key thing that made all the old footage look so good was the dynamic DOF, which is very apparent in this scene in motion (when he walks up to the cash machine for instance), and I haven't seen any of it in the recent streamed footage on PS4 or PC. The DOF goes very shallow when the camera gets close to things, and that isn't happening.

Very strange - those two things would make a massive difference to how 'next-gen' it looks. I expected to see them on Ultra.

Raven77

Hey guys i got both (PS4 and Xbox One) version today and did a graphic comparison:
All scenes are from the first 20 minutes.

http://youtu.be/FpwIO36iYNM

UdeKrzg.png

WOW amazing comparison. Some things I noticed, the shadows in PS4 version are definitely much better and smoother. The character and environments also seem to have an extra layer of self-shadowing going on.

However, the vehicle pop in in both versions is horrendous, what year is this? 2008?

I'm angry that I've preordered the game (on Origin) yet so many people are already playing it. Legitimate customers get screwed with strict regulations on release dates.

The game runs rather badly on my PC (2500k 4.5 8 GB RAM, GTX 780, 1440p, everything on Ultra + 2x MSAA. I get 40-50 fps when walking about and drops to 30 while driving. The annoying thing are freezes while driving, probably because the cpu can't load everything in time.
GPU memory usage is also very high. The game uses all 3 Gigs of VRAM.
The gameplay is quite good though.

waiiiit this being a uplay game, anyone have any cloud save issues?

i recall getting AC3 at launch, lost 15 hours of progress the first patch because save sync issues >.<

Wonder if shall dl the crack for this, its not like i give a damn about uplay points or online for this.

TheMan

Well, I had to cancel my preorder since I'll be out of town for all of next week. I don't expect this game to be hard to find so i should be able to pick it up regardless.

Linius

Please Go 2 Arena have mercy and email my code already.

Kind of glad I only work from monday to wednesday next week. Four days off to dive in Watch Dogs :D

Lrrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16OgsvHEf0

That above is the reason so many people are angry at the downgrade. That's Gamespots channel and it doesn't say "PS4 reference", it says, "Check out what Watch Dogs looks like on the PS4". Had Ubisoft not said anything, I think most would've assumed that was a high-end PC, but they said it was running on PS4. Yeah, I understand the furor over the change.

I have my copy on pre-order. I hope the gameplay is so much fun that I can overlook the graphics, but man, these screens are disappointing.

xBladeM6x

The game runs rather badly on my PC (2500k 4.5 8 GB RAM, GTX 780, 1440p, everything on Ultra + 2x MSAA. I get 40-50 fps when walking about and drops to 30 while driving. The annoying thing are freezes while driving, probably because the cpu can't load everything in time.

Probably caused by the resolution. If you went to 1080p, I don't believe you'd have an issue with FPS.

Hey guys i got both (PS4 and Xbox One) version today and did a graphic comparison:
All scenes are from the first 20 minutes.

http://youtu.be/FpwIO36iYNM

UdeKrzg.png

Game looks pretty awesome on both platforms. There's times when I think the PS4 version seems like it may have better shadowing, and then there's other times where it simply just looks like it's darker, and as a result the shadows simply are easier to spot. Either way, both look great. Going to grab a copy at best buy today or tomorrow. :D

Marvel

could never
Damn my copy has been shipped, lol was going to cancel.

Hope the MP is good though, it'll be the reason I keep it. Does look fun.

bastian

Banned

I'm sure there will be several patches on PC until its decent. But why use MSAA? It hogs performance and memory. Use SMAA or TXAA. Better performance and lower memory usage. Also try the 337.81 drivers. They are out.

Anyone playing at 1440p? How does it run and on what specs?

Originally Posted by TheDefinitionOfInsanity

HT UK

waiiiit this being a uplay game, anyone have any cloud save issues?

i recall getting AC3 at launch, lost 15 hours of progress the first patch because save sync issues >.<

Wonder if shall dl the crack for this, its not like i give a damn about uplay points or online for this.

Fuck UPlay cloud saves. I lost my progress for both AC3 and AC4

xBladeM6x

Anyone playing at 1440p? How does it run and on what specs?

Probably caused by the resolution. If you went to 1080p, I don't believe you'd have an issue with FPS.

M.Steiner

night & raining=bestest.
Definitely.

I haven't taken many screenshots so far but:
I can't run it on ultra which I knew would be the case (i7 930, 6GB RAM, HD 6970) so take note that this is not maxed out or anything but running on high (and with FXAA too. I need to try some of the other AA options later and see how they affect my performance).
My copy arrived early too. Earliest I've ever received a pre-order but I ain't complaining.

Originally Posted by TheDefinitionOfInsanity

I think 3GB of VRAM isn't enough for this game (at that resolution + ultra texture + msaa). Sorry bro, lower something!

Fuck UPlay cloud saves. I lost my progress for both AC3 and AC4

remembered i lost it for black list too, but i was only like an hour in.

uplay really can suck a dick.

And it isn't even easy finding save games for these games, because steam uses a different save file type, uplay uses a different file save type, and cracked games uses a different file type.

seriously wtf.

rashbeep

Banned
Tell me that this doesn't look better than GTAV.

People are right to say that GTAV looks "nicer" than WD, as in they prefer the art direction. From a technical standpoint they are not even comparable, and people who say otherwise don't have a clue. For me, it's just freakin disappointing that it doesn't look as good as it could have.. it still looks ok though.

Edit: Thanks to the above, looks like I obviously can't play with ultra textures (670 2gb) and I'll have to turn down a few more things to high. A mix of high and ultra with decent fps (~40's) is good for me.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Something tells me this game won't be as bad as people making it out to be.

Relax fellas, lets just wait until we have it in ours hands/review embargos are lifted. The graphics aren't THAT bad, or bad at all. I think we are being a little spoiled due to the "next-which-is-now-current-gen" mentality that everything needs to be worlds better than the last console....we forget the PS4/XBONE ain't even a year old yet, plus companies have a different production style than others. I for one am cautiously optimistic and pretty excited for Watch_Dogs...its an interesting concept, its packed full of interesting content, seems to have a robust multiplayer ANNND just the main story ITSELF is 40+ hours long. If that isn't enough to warrant spending $60 bucks then I dunno what is.

Maybe its the old-school gamer in me speaking, but I come from the days of Atari/Colecovision and all that. Graphics are important to me, yes, but after all...a video game at its core is something you PLAY, much more than what you look at and be amazed by. There's plenty of games out there that are memorable or downright legendary and their graphics either don't stand the test of time (its FFVII for me, great game still but the graphics haven't aged well for me) or weren't up it its "generational standard."

Wait til Tuesday bros. For the ones that have it already, enjoy that shit. Everybody entitled to they opinion.

Top Bottom